Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all
Default Comforting News to hear about our Front Office:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-090110-11

Good to hear our FO is coming to it's senses

Quote:
• I've had a couple execs tell me that the Mavericks have passed Toronto as the team pushing harder than anyone else in the league to make a trade at the minute. And the growing sense I get is that the Mavericks, for all their stated reluctance to do so, are prepared to move Josh Howard before the deadline if they can bring back the wing explosiveness and/or post scoring that we've mentioned before as areas of concern in Dallas.

Just days ago, I didn't think so. I saw the prospect of moving Howard as highly unlikely. My feeling was that Dallas would continue to shop Jerry Stackhouse's cap-friendly contract, Brandon Bass and DeSagana Diop's unfriendly contract, hoping that the Stackhouse-and-Bass combination would eventually net something positive.

Yet in the course of all those aggressive calls, sources say, Howard's name is coming up more and more, either through the interest of teams on the other end of the line or the Mavs' growing willingness to consider another shakeup.

"Dallas is talking to everyone," said one rival exec.

Last February's acquisition of the selfless Jason Kidd and the coaching switch from Avery Johnson to Rick Carlisle are moves that were supposed to help Howard more than any Mav. But they haven't. You can attribute some of his struggles to a nagging ankle injury, but Howard has strangely never flourished alongside Kidd and isn't playing with the bounce that made him an All-Star, leading some folks in town to wonder if he'd rather be elsewhere.

But if that's the case, Howard hasn't let on. Nor are the Mavs likely to rush into anything if they don't get the offer they want.

Reason being: Dallas is convinced that Howard's very reasonable salary this season ($10.4 million) and next ($11.4 million) and the $12.3 million team option held by the Mavs for the 2010-11 season -- all attractive contract details -- combine to negate any trade value the 28-year-old has squandered through declining production and off-court transgressions.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
DallasMavs412004

DallasMavs412004 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it is good to hear. Im sure we will make a deal but will it be sooner rather than later? And what could we move JHO for?
DallasMavs412004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #3
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Notice there is no open acknowledgment of this directly from the Mavs organization. So shall it will remain until a trade actually comes to pass.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

During the Suns game they talked about the Howard and Parker/Bargnani deal with Toronto.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody actually believe at any point that the Mavs weren't actively trying to make some sort of move? What do you think the FO does, sit around and twiddle its thumbs all day?

Just because a trade hasn't happened (or doesn't ever happen) doesn't mean they weren't trying to make one.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-11-2009 at 03:40 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Did anybody actually believe at any point that the Mavs weren't actively trying to make some sort of move? What do you think the FO does, sit around and twiddle its thumbs all day?
I doubt most people around here even give them THAT much credit!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I doubt most people around here even give them THAT much credit!
You're probably right. I guess some folks think they spend all day sitting in a candle-lit meeting room as they engage in rhythmic incantations of, "We love of team."

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
During the Suns game they talked about the Howard and Parker/Bargnani deal with Toronto.
What did they say? And who is "they"? I didn't watch ESPN.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-11-2009 at 03:41 AM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

This is pretty on point with the fact he felt they weren't going to do something with Josh. In the Toronto thread I mentioned he was on GAC this week and he felt that it was time for Josh to be moved but he didn't think the FO was going to actually go through with it. The thought was they feel they can find the right deal, it's just a matter of being patient on it and not rushing right away at it. So something happened within the past week to change his stance to where he thinks they're ready to do it.

The big issue now is if Josh is the primary person they're looking at moving, they're going to hope he can get back from his injury soon. Now it's not a major injury, just a tweak or something. I doubt that can seriously kill a deal, but it might give the 1-up to the other side.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-11-2009 at 03:54 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Well that is good to know. I guess the FO has to take this stance that if they dont find the right trade they're just going to keep JHo. I'm sure they're getting low ball offers for him only and they can't seem too desperate. Same for Stack, Bass and whoever else. I just dont understand what it is about the Dallas Mavericks that every other team thinks they have to screw them or no deal while the Lakers get Gasol and the Celtics get Garnett for trash. It pisses me off.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-11-2009 at 04:47 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #11
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Well the T-Wolves did at least get Al Jefferson who is/should be an all star for about the next 10 yrs.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows what the "Front Office" does? Anyone, Anyone? Dr., Dr., Dr., Dr.

That Howard for Bargnani/Parker rumor might have been semi-legit based on Toronto's GM saying he has had many conversations with the Mavericks regarding trades.

It could very well be that Colangelo is just denying the rumor for business sake. If, like he said, you have had multiple trade scenario conversations, then I don't see why that could not possibly be one of them. At least, I'm sure Howard was discussed based on this article alone.

Still, it's fairly solid proof that the Mavericks are indeed up to something. I think a trade will almost certainly be made by the trade deadline.

But....management never ceases to amaze.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Let's make a deal
With the trading deadline a little more than a month away, talks between teams seem to be heating up. An NBA source said a three-team trade is in the works that would include Oklahoma City sending guard Earl Watson to Charlotte, Dallas sending center DeSagana Diop to Charlotte, and Charlotte guard Raymond Felton going to Dallas.

Source : http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb..._magic/?page=2

Now were talking..
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Let's make a deal
With the trading deadline a little more than a month away, talks between teams seem to be heating up. An NBA source said a three-team trade is in the works that would include Oklahoma City sending guard Earl Watson to Charlotte, Dallas sending center DeSagana Diop to Charlotte, and Charlotte guard Raymond Felton going to Dallas.

Now were talking..
If true, that trade is genius. Diop has been beyond useless this season, and Kidd's not getting any younger...it would be nice to have his replacement on board, and if all it costs us is a backup center who's not playing at all anyway, I would love it. If we then turned J-Ho into Kaman, that'd be even better.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Let's make a deal

Now were talking..
So who does OKC get in this deal? I am guessing another Charlotte player? Felton to Dallas, Watson/Diop to Charlotte and Mohammed to OKC works on espn trade machine
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
So who does OKC get in this deal? I am guessing another Charlotte player? Felton to Dallas, Watson/Diop to Charlotte and Mohammed to OKC works on espn trade machine
Unfortunately, that doesn't make any sense from Charlotte's perspective.

Felton's better than Watson (neither has been very good though) and has an expiring contract.

Meanwhile, Mohammed & Diop are about a wash in terms of actual production (or lack there of), but Mohammed's contract is more friendly.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #17
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog80 View Post

Felton's better than Watson (neither has been very good though) and has an expiring contract.

Meanwhile, Mohammed & Diop are about a wash in terms of actual production (or lack there of), but Mohammed's contract is more friendly.
I don't know, I was just filling in the missing piece because in the original article, OKC doesn't get anything in this trade, which is highly unlikely. Plus Charlotte is getting about 10M coming in and 4M going out which doesn't work either. So there has to be another Charlotte player involved and Nazr fit that bill. I know its just a rumor at this point, but my guess would be that Brown is a defensive minded coach and wants more defensive players on his team
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Raymond Felton: 13.2 ppg, 6.1 assists per game
Jason Kidd: 8.7 ppg, 8.3 assists per game

That would be a 51% increase in scoring production from the guard the Mavs are currently starting, but Felton "hasn't been very good"? What NBA are you watching? Felton's a stud, which is why Charlotte won't let him go.

Case closed.

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksFan5912 View Post
Raymond Felton: 13.2 ppg, 6.1 assists per game
Jason Kidd: 8.7 ppg, 8.3 assists per game

That would be a 51% increase in scoring production from the guard the Mavs are currently starting, but Felton "hasn't been very good"? What NBA are you watching? Felton's a stud, which is why Charlotte won't let him go.

Case closed.

I rest my case...

I was curious, Looking at your sig., why are the Mavs the team of the future? Because they can not win now?
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
SlimBig
Golden Member

SlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really niceSlimBig is just really nice

Quote:
Let's make a deal

Now were talking..
I would weep openly for this trade. Tears of joy.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

More information about this. But this time, it seems Nazr Mohammed is involved.

Quote:
Sources: Bobcats talking trade with Mavs

The Charlotte Bobcats are in ongoing trade discussions with the Dallas Mavericks, and possibly the Oklahoma City Thunder, that could move Raymond Felton and Nazr Mohammed, two NBA sources confirmed to the Observer.

Some elements of a potential deal were first reported Sunday in the Boston Globe. The Observer has learned that any deal likely would include moving backup center Mohammed, who is owed about $13.3 million over the next two seasons.

If a deal is consummated, the Bobcats likely would end up with Dallas Mavericks center DeSagana Diop. The Bobcats pursued Diop during free agency last summer before he re-signed with Dallas. The deal Diop signed with the Mavericks is large � four more seasons at an average salary of nearly $6.7 million.

It�s unclear what else the Bobcats potentially could end up with if a deal is made. The Globe reported the Bobcats might get veteran point guard Earl Watson if the Thunder is involved. Watson could serve as a backup to rookie D.J. Augustin if Felton leaves for the Mavericks.

Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins declined to discuss specifics of any trade talks approaching the Feb. 19 deadline.

�It wouldn�t be fair for me to speculate on any rumors,� Higgins said Sunday. �In the NBA, you�re constantly talking to other teams. It�s impossible to know if any deal would happen.�

It�s clear why Felton and Mohammed would come up in trade discussion:

Felton becomes a restricted free agent in July. He�s having his best season as a pro; just good enough that some other NBA team might sign him to an offer sheet that would place the Bobcats in a no-win situation.

Augustin is playing well enough that he figures to end up the Bobcats� starting point guard. That makes for a potential dilemma, where the Bobcats either lose Felton to another team without compensation or overpay him to end up a combo guard off the bench.

Waiting until the summer to do a sign-and-trade would also be problematic. Under the NBA�s base-year compensation rule (pertaining to players getting large raises from one season to the next) it would be difficult to trade Felton for fair compensation as part of a new contract.

Mohammed came to the Bobcats last season from the Detroit Pistons. He makes about $6.4 million next season and nearly $6.9 million the following season, and has been on the fringe of the rotation since coach Larry Brown took over this season.

Whether Diop would be an upgrade is debatable. He�s struggled off the bench for the Mavericks, shooting 39 percent � strikingly low for a post player. Backing up Erick Dampier, Diop averages 1.7 points, 3.5 rebounds and 0.73 blocks per game.

Watson has one season guaranteed beyond this one at $6.6 million. The Thunder is establishing rookie Russell Westbrook as their long-term starter at the point.

Injury update: The Bobcats anticipate Augustin missing at least 10 days, due to an abdominal/groin strain. Augustin initially suffered the injury versus the Boston Celtics last week, then worsened it Saturday, feeling a �pop� as he passed off a cross-court dribble against the Washington Wizards.

A magnetic resonance imaging showed no tear in Matt Carroll�s sore right Achilles tendon. Felton anticipates playing Tuesday in Detroit with a sprained right ankle.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/spo...ry/466600.html

Last edited by monty55555; 01-11-2009 at 10:23 PM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #22
walter

walter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nicewalter is just really nice

Sources: Augustin's injury affects deal
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Charlotte Bobcats, Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder put the pieces in place for a three-team trade late last week, but NBA front-office sources said Sunday that those talks have gone "dormant."

Sources told ESPN.com that the full deal, as originally constructed, would have sent Raymond Felton, Nazr Mohammed and Sean May from Charlotte to Dallas, landed Earl Watson and Dallas' DeSagana Diop with the Bobcats and shipped Jerry Stackhouse to the Thunder along with a future second-round pick.

The Boston Globe reported in its Sunday editions that a trade headlined by Felton and Watson was "in the works," but sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com on Friday and again Sunday that the discussions have gone quiet.

"Dormant is a good word," one source said.

It was unclear Sunday night if the trade can still be resurrected or revised, but sources say one impediment is an injury suffered in Tuesday's victory over Boston by Bobcats rookie guard D.J. Augustin, which could suddenly make Charlotte reluctant to part with Felton. Augustin is expected to miss at least 10 days after he aggravated the abdominal injury in Saturday's victory over Washington.

If the trade can be revived, Watson would be moving to Charlotte as a veteran backup to Augustin, whose emergence has led many executives around the league to presume that Felton would be moved before the league's Feb. 19 trading deadline. Felton is playing on an expiring contract that pays him $4.1 million this season and will be a restricted free agent this summer.

The Bobcats, furthermore, have been to trying to add Diop to their front line as a defensive specialist since he was a free agent last summer. As ESPN.com reported in July, Charlotte offered Diop the same five-year deal worth more than $32 million that the 7-foot center wound up signing with the Mavericks.

Dallas has been shopping Stackhouse, Diop and Brandon Bass for weeks in hopes of acquiring a player of Felton's caliber. But if he winds up going to Dallas, Felton would have to fit into a rotation of lead guards which already features Jason Kidd, Jason Terry and J.J. Barea.

Mohammed and May -- whose conditioning has been repeatedly criticized by first-year Bobcats coach Larry Brown -- were earmarked in last week's trade talks as replacements for Diop to back up Mavs center Erick Dampier.

The possibility of Stackhouse winding up with the Thunder has been discussed for weeks, sources said, with that scenario first surfacing in a standard two-team deal that would have sent Watson to Dallas. Stackhouse, 34, has played in only eight games this season but can be bought out next season for $2 million, making the former All-Star's current $7 million salary a virtual expiring contract.

If these three-way talks dissolve completely, Dallas is expected to continue to push hard for at least one trade before the February deadline, with Stackhouse's cap-friendly contract and possibly another former All-Star -- swingman Josh Howard -- in play.

"Dallas is talking to everyone," one rival executive said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3826213

Last edited by walter; 01-11-2009 at 10:39 PM.
walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to believe a 10 day injury would effect that. It's not like charlotte is within striking distance of the playoffs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the Dallas FO has the slightest clue what they are doing, not a clue.

I think the Kidd trade was all about the round one loss to the dubs--a classic case of generals fighting the last war--and now they don't whether they're trying to "win now" or enter 2010 sweepstakes. I have Texas Rangers type fears about this thing.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm somewhat excited to see what kind of package could be gotten by putting Josh on the table. But I'm honestly to the point that I'm not sure this team can compete even with a move.

Terry's been playing out of his mind for most of this season, basically giving us the explosive SG we've always wanted, and we still haven't performed up to expectations.

I dunno...part of me is really thinking that it's time to hit the blowup button and see if anyone wants Kidd for the stretch run.

And I would imagine that's kind of how the Mavs are approaching this. Meaning that they know they can not make another Devin Harris deal. They can not trade Josh for an older, aging superstar for one last run this season. They also can't mortgage their salary flexibility, as they seem to be set on having room in 2010.

So they have to find a trade involving Josh that makes them better, doesn't make them significantly older, and doesn't harm their salary cap situation. Good luck with all that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-11-2009 at 11:04 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I like Felton but what position is he going to play? He's not that great of a shooter to be a sg. Barea has been playing well as backup point so is he getting bumped for Felton?

If we're getting rid of Diop then we need another big. Damp, Dirk, and Bass won't cut it come playoff time against the other bigs in the west.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Felton doesn't do much for me and JSmith does even less.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
I like Felton but what position is he going to play? He's not that great of a shooter to be a sg. Barea has been playing well as backup point so is he getting bumped for Felton?

If we're getting rid of Diop then we need another big. Damp, Dirk, and Bass won't cut it come playoff time against the other bigs in the west.
Diop has been so non-existent on the offensive end*, that unless he is just flat out dominant on the defensive end, you could match his production with the right D-Leaguer.

* I know that he's never been an offensive presence. But a put-back here and there wouldn't kill him.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
MainEv3nt

MainEv3nt will become famous soon enoughMainEv3nt will become famous soon enough

trading josh for bargs an parker would make us worse.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Either way, based on what we've seen and what is left on Diop's deal...if you find a taker and can get something that isn't ugly back in return: Kudos to you.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Either way, based on what we've seen and what is left on Diop's deal...if you find a taker and can get something that isn't ugly back in return: Kudos to you.
Well it might be important for the FO to have an insurance piece in case Kidd bolts this summer. Felton is at least decent and a good defender. If all you had to give up was Diop then hellz yeah. I really can't even imagine any team being interested in Diop other than Charlotte.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #32
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #33
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear, good to hear.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #34
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

If we somehow get Felton with Diop... that would be awesome. One great move by the FO if that happens IMO.

We wouldnt have to worry about our PG situation. If we truly are in the 2010 race then we could trade Kidd right before 2010 for picks/trade exceptions a la Camby and let that come off our books to open 20mil and we would still have our PG. I love JJB, but he will never be a starting PG in this league.. Felton would start over him every time. Also... we neeed scoring and while Felton is no Terry, he can provide another consistent 10 pts a game and have big 20 pt nights on occasion (moreso than Kidd or JJB). I would be more excited about this move than Howard being shipped for Bargnani and Parker.

If that happens... I wish and hope and wish that we could trade Howard for the likes of a Kaman or even Oneal or Brad Miller + filler. Then trade Stack and Bass for a good SF swing man. This team can be a top legit contender again if our FO works some magic. If we can obtain young talent like Felton in exchange for someone that is a heavy burden on our books and does not play, that would be a great start.

Last edited by Robillion; 01-11-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #35
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Dammit I didn't see this when I started the thread in the trade forum lol
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #36
BGMaverick9
Guru

Felton reminds me of Tony Parker. He does in the sense that he can drive and attack the lane, but you can just alter that by daring him to shoot and hope he takes his team out of the game that way. All the speed and athleticism he has isn't worth a lick if they dare him to shoot and he clangs it. If he could get decent to respectable at it, then that totally changes his game. I think that's the fear the Kitty Cats have in letting go someone of Felton's ability, if he can get better at the jumper that's all he needs.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #37
cowdog80

Quote:
Felton reminds me of Tony Parker. He does in the sense that he can drive and attack the lane, but you can just alter that by daring him to shoot and hope he takes his team out of the game that way. All the speed and athleticism he has isn't worth a lick if they dare him to shoot and he clangs it. If he could get decent to respectable at it, then that totally changes his game. I think that's the fear the Kitty Cats have in letting go someone of Felton's ability, if he can get better at the jumper that's all he needs.
That's not a very good comparison. He's not as quick as Parker and he's nowhere near the finisher around the rim.

Parker's career LOW fg% is 41.9% during his rookie year. In 6 of his other 7 years, he's shot 45% or better.

Felton's career HIGH fg% is 41.4% (last year). In the other 3 years of his career (including this one), he's shot worse than 40% from the floor.

Felton is bigger than JJ and a better defender, and he might improve by being on a better team - so there are reasons to believe that he would be an upgrade.

But don't talk him up too much - he's truly nothing special.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #38
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
That's not a very good comparison. He's not as quick as Parker and he's nowhere near the finisher around the rim.

Parker's career LOW fg% is 41.9% during his rookie year. In 6 of his other 7 years, he's shot 45% or better.

Felton's career HIGH fg% is 41.4% (last year). In the other 3 years of his career (including this one), he's shot worse than 40% from the floor.

Felton is bigger than JJ and a better defender, and he might improve by being on a better team - so there are reasons to believe that he would be an upgrade.

But don't talk him up too much - he's truly nothing special.
I didn't say he is the next coming of Tony Parker, I used the comparison that both can get into the lane, and they both can struggle with shooting. Just in a complete simple form, a comparison can be made, plain and simple.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #39
cowdog80

Quote:
I didn't say he is the next coming of Tony Parker, I used the comparison that both can get into the lane, and they both can struggle with shooting. Just in a complete simple form, a comparison can be made, plain and simple.
I hear you. But from about 15 feet and in, Felton makes Parker look like MJ.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #40
BGMaverick9
Guru

db.com view on the proposed idea:
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=1226

Either way, I trust the Boston Globe a lot more than hoopsworld...