Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What to do with Seth?
Pay the man 11 52.38%
Trade him now 2 9.52%
Move him at the TDL unless he shows he's worth the money 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do we do with Seth?

I've seen various posters have different takes on Seth, and now I'm curious what the consensus (if there is one) is.

One on hand Seth is a late bloomer with a fantastic, varied offensive game, and is close to an elite shooter. He seems like a nice person and comes with some name recognition. He is an ideal sixth man in my opinion.

On the other hand, he will be 28 at the beginning of his next contract. He's not a guy with huge upside due to his height/wingspan, and the fact that he's best suited for the 2 guard. He will likely command significant money on the open market in a year. I also suspect he will take the highest offer as it is his one shot at getting a huge deal.

I personally feel we should move him now. I really can't fathom paying him $15-20 million a year next offseason, and would much rather use that money to lure someone like Avery Bradley. I think if we trade him now we'll be able to get a first round pick and/or shed Powell's contract, giving us more flexibility moving forward.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to trade him before the draft for a pick because this draft was a good draft. If the right trade came along I'd do it still but I think there could be desperate teams closer to the trade deadline that could offer us something better than right now.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

We need a bigger SG next to DSJ. Not sure how they'll fit. I guess we'll have a season to see
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:31 AM   #4
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
We need a bigger SG next to DSJ. Not sure how they'll fit. I guess we'll have a season to see
If the Mavs need a bigger SG maybe they should go after Shabazz
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Yeah....same as I see it.
Let them play together the first part of the season to see how they fit. My concern is they will get killed on D and Rick will be forced to move Curry to the bench moving Wes to the 2. I actually think Wes will be a great fit with DSJ though....at least short-term.
But I'm probably one of the few that doesn't see Curry or Wes as a long-term solution at SG.

The FO should be focused on building around Barnes/Noel/DSJ with players in that age group (19-25). Curry is a little too old but if he is a good chemistry fit then I'd be more than happy to pay him market price and include him in that group. I think his style of play will allow him to play well into his 30s much like JET.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-03-2017 at 05:43 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Start Seth, trade Wes.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Either you ride out Seth for the entire season and make a decision on him next summer, or you trade him now... Moving him at the TDL doesn't make much sense, since he's a cheap expiring contract who would only have value to a contender, and no contender is going after him unless he's balling out of his mind in Dallas -- in which case, we'd have more motivation to keep him than to trade him.

And I think the only way you trade him right now is if you think he's a poor fit next to Smith Jr. AND you can get a 1st for him (his value is sky-high at the moment)... Maybe you package him with Powell if there's a good deal on the table, but I wouldn't ship him just to shed a contract -- there's a decent chance that he's a late-bloomer like his brother (if last season is any indication). And of course you don't package him with Wes unless you're getting a good, young SG in return for the two of them.

Nah, at this point I think you just keep him through the season and see how he works with a core of DSJ/Barnes/Noel -- if he gels, try to move Wes' expiring contract next summer to create the space to re-sign him (or maybe free up space by declining Dirk's option, depending on what kind of contract he signs this offseason)... And if doesn't gel, just let him walk... I mean, we're not talking about Steve Nash here -- if he's not worth re-upping, then getting nothing for him doesn't really matter.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Start Curry AND Wes. Wes is a SF. Curry is an SG.

If he continues to be a beast, you pay him. Same story as Terry.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #9
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless a deal comes up that is too good to pass up I think you keep him. See how he fits in with the rest of the core players. If it doesn't work than he walks.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a good idea to move Seth. He just had a nice breakout season. His age is not an issue

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, Seth is 26, played only 70 games for us (42 starts), and is a part of our new young core, but...

A player flounders for less than one season and we need to trade him because he's awful

A player shows flashes in less than a season that he could be an important piece of something special and people want to trade him even if a guy with his skill may not come around again for us.

Dude is our starting SG and part of a future we're building with Smith/Curry/Matthews/Barnes/Noel. If that five-man core gets it done, you keep it together. If not, you reassess.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-04-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It's funny, Seth is 26, played only 70 games for us (42 starts), and is a part of our new young core, but...

A player flounders for less than one season and we need to trade him because he's awful

A player shows flashes in less than a season that he could be an important piece of something special and people want to trade him even if a guy with his skill may not come around again for us.

Dude is our starting SG and part of a future we're building with Smith/Curry/Matthews/Barnes/Noel. If that five-man core gets it done, you keep it together. If not, you reassess.
Good point.

And I hope your right about Wesley because I am guilty of slipping off his wagon. I'm still on the hook for crow this season if he returns to form.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #13
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

I get your point EL, but we need to be realistic. Talent doesn't get it done in the NBA anymore. Elite talent does. That future you talk about is good for a first round exit at best in the West. (I will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong).

Why move Curry? Because our options next offseason will be a) let him go for nothing or b) pay him at least $15 million a year. How did the Celtics rebuild? Lots of draft picks and flexibility (to sign Horford last year and Hayward this year). Paying Curry that much money significantly hinders our flexibility. As I mentioned before, he'll be 28 at the beginning of that contract while the players we should be rebuilding around will be 20, 24, and 26 respectively. He's not an elite athlete, defender, or rebounder (less than 3 per game in almost 30 mpg last season). His +/- and win shares and every other advanced statistic indicates he's an average player (the majority show him to be worse than Wes).

This is not to sh*t on Seth by any means. He's obviously an elite shooter. There are players who overcome size to become elite SGs (CJ McCollum comes to mind) and if Seth puts up 20 a game this season I will be the first to quote myself and relinquish my armchair GM status (jk I won't, but I will eat crow).
Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I don't get why you move Seth.....i'm not sure the trade value you guys think he has.....he has more value to us.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

No clue what his trade value is either but if Korver at 35yrs old who was also on an expiring deal can get a late first I'm obviously not moving him without getting better than that.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

You rarely get true trade value for NBA players. And with our bias we have a pretty high value of him. Especially someone like Seth who is undersized and possibly on a even bigger breakout. Ride him out he's earned that. See how he fits with DSJ. If it's a disaster let him walk in the summer. Its okay if we don't get a return on him.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder what kind of value Seth has on the trade market, especially as part of a package...

Seth/McBob ($11.4m max return): probably won't find a better/cheaper option than a re-signed Seth, but I do wonder if it could net us a mid-to-late first rounder... Might be worth exploring around the deadline.

Seth/Powell ($15m max return): not sure why anyone would eat Powell's contract just to land Seth, but we could definitely get an impact player in this price range.

Seth/Matthews ($26.2m max return): you're not finding a buyer unless you include at least a 1st (and maybe not even then), but pretty much any player in this range would be worth it on our end.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-08-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #18
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I do wonder what kind of value Seth has on the trade market, especially as part of a package...

Seth/McBob ($11.4m max return): probably won't find a better/cheaper option than a re-signed Seth, but I do wonder if it could net us a mid-to-late first rounder... Might be worth exploring around the deadline.

Seth/Powell ($15m max return): not sure why anyone would eat Powell's contract just to land Seth, but we could definitely get an impact player in this price range.

Seth/Matthews ($26.2m max return): you're not finding a buyer unless you include at least a 1st (and maybe not even then), but pretty much any player in this range would be worth it on our end.
I think Seth/Mejri might be attractive to a contender at the TDL as well.
For instance, if OKC is a top 4 team and is looking for more defense and offensive fire power they might consider something like Ferguson/Singler for Seth/Mejri.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #19
SMC0007
Guru

When was this?

http://imgur.com/gallery/4yEWo

Last edited by SMC0007; 08-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
That's hilarious
Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #21
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Either you ride out Seth for the entire season and make a decision on him next summer, or you trade him now... Moving him at the TDL doesn't make much sense, since he's a cheap expiring contract who would only have value to a contender, and no contender is going after him unless he's balling out of his mind in Dallas -- in which case, we'd have more motivation to keep him than to trade him.

And I think the only way you trade him right now is if you think he's a poor fit next to Smith Jr. AND you can get a 1st for him (his value is sky-high at the moment)... Maybe you package him with Powell if there's a good deal on the table, but I wouldn't ship him just to shed a contract -- there's a decent chance that he's a late-bloomer like his brother (if last season is any indication). And of course you don't package him with Wes unless you're getting a good, young SG in return for the two of them.

Nah, at this point I think you just keep him through the season and see how he works with a core of DSJ/Barnes/Noel -- if he gels, try to move Wes' expiring contract next summer to create the space to re-sign him (or maybe free up space by declining Dirk's option, depending on what kind of contract he signs this offseason)... And if doesn't gel, just let him walk... I mean, we're not talking about Steve Nash here -- if he's not worth re-upping, then getting nothing for him doesn't really matter.
All of this.

Also OP, I honestly dont see 15-20m for Seth after what we've seen in this last offseason/whats available next offseason. 2016 was an anomaly, and I could see Seth being resigned for less than 15m.