Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-05-2002, 01:56 AM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Last year, the Mavs had a 12-6 start. This year, a 17-1 start. An improvement of 5 games over an 18 game period. (And I won't even say that happened without.....)

Before the Laker game, and before the rest of this board heats up, let's take a deep breath and appreciate all that the Mavs have accomplished. Although I know that the playoffs are the real payoff, I happen to love the regular season too. There's no team that's as fun to watch in the entire NBA.

Mavs 105
Lakers 90
Old 12-05-2002, 02:53 AM   #2
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road

Should be a close game threw 3 quarters, then the Mavs bust it open in the 4th.

Mavs 102
Lakers 93

Dirk 33pts 12rb 3assists 1blk
Nash 18pts 4rbs 11assists
Finley 23pts 9rbs 5assists

Sixman- Nick the Quick 16pts 3rbs 4assists

Definitely going to record this one.

(Side note) I have recorded every game this year except one and we've won them all. The one game I didn't record was against the Pacers which we lost. Could it just be a coincidence?!?
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:27 AM   #3
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

Mavs 92
L.A. 87
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:12 AM   #4
DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31

DrtyFlthyNstYnQuik31 is an unknown quantity at this point

mavs win this one hopefully i dont even want to predict the outcome. I just hope the lakers especially shaq dont take out their frustration on us. The lakers are bound to explode sometime. Hopefully the Mavs will be shooting lights out. And you KNOW nick gets up for games in LA. And Adam make sure you record the game. haha
Old 12-05-2002, 05:09 AM   #5
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Mavs win 101-85.
dirk has shown his back so i'll give him 29 points 13 rebounds.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 07:17 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< (Side note) I have recorded every game this year except one and we've won them all. The one game I didn't record was against the Pacers which we lost. Could it just be a coincidence?!? >>

Quick - everyone pitch in and get the man a lifetime supply of video tapes. Maybe Cuban will front the bill. Seriously, you recorded some DAMN fine entertainment.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:17 AM   #7
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road

MAVS BEAT LAKERS
EASY.
103 x 91
DIRK 30P, 13R
NASH 23P, 8A
FIN 21P
NICK 15P
Old 12-05-2002, 09:21 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< There's no team that's as fun to watch in the entire NBA. >>

Totally agree.

<< Could it just be a coincidence?!? >>

You were the bad luck!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

<< dirk has shown his back >>

Yes, this awesome pumping elbow patch works.

<< you recorded some DAMN fine entertainment. >>

Yes; [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (need an agent?)

Mavs win. The Big Four (N-F-N and Bradley+NVE) are hot.

Old 12-05-2002, 12:03 PM   #9
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Mavs win. The Big Four (N-F-N and Bradley+NVE) are hot. >>

I've begun thinking of it as 3+3: The Big 3 + NVE, our two-headed center (Raef did a good job defensively last night that is not reflected in the stats), and the bench which has regularly stepped up, often in the person of one player (but sometimes simply collectivelY)
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 12:15 PM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

a good way to look at it, Hoops.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:55 PM   #11
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

i think they should be called the big 5
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 01:57 PM   #12
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road

Dirk and Nash
Lafrentz and Van Exel
Fin
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:12 PM   #13
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Just looking at some old boxscores, and Kobe has really struggled against the Mavs as of late. his last 6 games he is averaging 17.3 points, and is shooting 35%.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 04:29 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Just looking at some old boxscores, and Kobe has really struggled against the Mavs as of late. his last 6 games he is averaging 17.3 points, and is shooting 35%. >>

Thats no struggle that is just great defense by Griffen and a side of Raja Bell.

102 Dallas 98 Lakers

Dirk 19 11 boards ( Horry is gonna give him a fit)
Nash 22 8 assists ( Is gonna enjoy his day against the Lakers backcourt)
Finley 23 10 boards (Not sure who is gonna guard him)
Nick 24 5 assists( HE is gonna clown the Lakers as he does every season)
Griffen:

Kobe 19 with 30 % shooting

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:00 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas 95 Lakers 85
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:17 PM   #16
turbo.mav

Ugh.. 9:30 start, lets get this thing going!
Mavericks WILL end their 12 year Staples Center drought.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:17 PM   #17
turbo.mav

Oh yeah, for all you out-of-towners like me, game is on ESPN.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:37 PM   #18
Chiwas
Guru

<< Ugh.. 9:30 start >>

8:30 in Apache land.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:41 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

105-89 Mavs win...

Dirk and Nick both have great nights in counterbalancing a monstrous Shaq game and a low FG%, but near triple double night from Kobe. Our depth and transition game are going to show that we are the better team....

Tomorrow's game will be a warning to the Lakers with dire and profound playoff implications --that we can defeat them even when Shaq and Kobe play very well-- This will happen, because out supporting players are going to feast on the Lakers' supporting cast of journeymen has-been's, and never-will-be's...
Old 12-05-2002, 10:25 PM   #20
turbo.mav

oops n/m
Old 12-05-2002, 10:31 PM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

<< Tomorrow's game will be a warning to the Lakers with dire and profound playoff implications --that we can defeat them even when Shaq and Kobe play very well- >>

Agree. (if they get the playoffs)
Old 12-06-2002, 12:58 AM   #22
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

Shaq goes 30-15
Kobe gets some triple-double, say 20-10-10
A third Laker scores 15

Mavs win, 98-89
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:24 AM   #23
AdamAMMP

AdamAMMP is on a distinguished road

Hope this is a sign of things to come

http://www.nba.com/videogames/989spo...vs_lakers.html
AdamAMMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:51 AM   #24
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

<< Hope this is a sign of things to come

http://www.nba.com/videogames/989spo...vs_lakers.html
>>

thanks, Adam! that's hilarious. and it all sounds quite realistic and plausible. Hopefully the real game turns out in pretty much exactly the same way.

Here's the recap of the video simulated game:

It wasn't close early. And it wasn't close at the end. The biggest difference was who was ahead when.

In our 989 Sports NBA Shootout simulation pitting the red-hot Dallas Mavericks against the struggling Los Angeles Lakers, which will be played for real on Dec. 6 (10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN), the defending champs and quicksilver guard Derek Fisher looked like, well, defending champions.

But the Lakers, even with Shaq back in the lineup, withered under the Mavericks superior firepower, 121-99 in our 989 Sports NBA ShootOut simulation.

Fisher scorched the Mavs early, penetrating the lane at will and scoring eight early points.

The Mavs, who have used a stifling zone this season, switched to their successful scheme late in the first quarter and the Lakers froze over. From there, Dallas' defense turned L.A.'s missed shots into transition baskets as Steve Nash had seven fast break layups alone. Nash finished with 25 points, a team high. Dirk Nowitzki added 24, Michael Finley had 19 and Shawn Bradley had 14 points, 12 rebounds and five blocked shots.

Kobe Bryant, who has picked up most of the scoring slack when Shaq was out, tallied a game-high 31 points. Shaq added 22, picked up 10 boards and blocked three shots. After starting out hot early, Fisher finished with 12 points.

DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 06:35 AM   #25
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

99-91 Mavs
Old 12-06-2002, 10:25 AM   #26
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

Mavs 103-95

It's still the Lakers. And they LOVE to beat us. But it won't matter![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 10:36 AM   #27
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

I put some money on a Mavs win and the total points being under 199.5....

I go with 96-89 Mavs

digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 10:54 AM   #28
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

94-90 Mavs win.

I'll admit, I'm nervous about this game. Looking at how both teams have played thus far, it looks like an overdue win for the Mavs in LA.

But, I have this sick feeling that the Lakers could have their break out game and it would just happen to come against us. With the Lakers whining about the refs, Shaq and Kobe pointing fingers at their team mates, I can just see them getting the calls, etc. like last year.

It just wouldn't surprise me if it goes down like that even with the Mavs playing a decent to good game.

Of course, I know the Mavs can beat the Lakers and that's why I'm going with a Mavs win, just wouldn't be surprised if it goes the other way.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:04 AM   #29
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I have a bad feeling about this game. LAL is motivated, and Shaq called everyone out last night, plus we have a history of losing there. I know this sounds like the POR game thread, but I think the Lake have much more to play for.

BLG
Old 12-06-2002, 11:17 AM   #30
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I think if the Lakers bring their A game, which they haven't shown all year, the Mavs will will have to bring their A game to win. But conversely if the Mavs bring their A game, it really doesn't matter how the Lakers play, the Mavs will win. I expect the Mavs to show up with their A game. Shaq's to fat to run with the Mavs at their best.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:10 PM   #31
Chiwas
Guru

NBA's poll:

<< Which Laker has the most right to be miffed by the team's current record? >>

I don't really understand the question. At first sight, in my oppinion, no laker has the right to be miffed, not even Jackson. That´s the point in the present situation.

I don´t know how Jackson is considered the best coach, or among the best. In spite of his rings, he have had Jordan and Shaquille to do the job and received the honors for grant. Nelson has been in worse circumstances and demostrated skills to deal with them. Now Jackson has the right to be miffed? LOL.

Shaquille, Kobe or whoever in this team isn´t in the position to has the right to be miffed. Their fans are. Maybe I didn´t understand the question.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:28 PM   #32
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I expect the Lakers to come out fairly focused tonight. However, they are a very fragile team right now. Shaq and Kobe don't trust the spares and the spares know Kobe and Shaq don't trust them, not to mention that Shaq is overweight and out-of-shape. If the Mavs come just as focused and run their game--which means running the Lakers up and down the court, I expect a breakdown by the Lakers sometime in the late 2nd, early 3rd as the Mavs go on one of their 20-0 runs.

Final Score
Mavs 108
Lakers 102
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:39 PM   #33
Chiwas
Guru

<< I don't really understand the question. At first sight, in my oppinion, no laker has the right to be miffed, not even Jackson. That´s the point in the present situation. >>

<< I expect a breakdown by the Lakers sometime in the late 2nd, early 3rd as the Mavs go on one of their 20-0 runs. >>

110-90.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #34
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

just a side note ...

anyone read that story about Rick Fox trying to enter the game on tuesday and the subst horn didn´t work? it was so funny and actually shows that the Lakers haven´t lost at least all humour yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 03:08 PM   #35
Rezon8

Rezon8 is on a distinguished road

Mav's are playing well, but they still have yet to prove they can beat a healthy lakers team or a healthy Kings team this year.
Rezon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:19 PM   #36
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Mav's are playing well, but they still have yet to prove they can beat a healthy lakers team or a healthy Kings team this year. >>

This IS true REZON8, nor has it been proven that the lakers can beat any team with a winning record this year either.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 03:32 PM   #37
Rezon8

If Nash was gone (bibby), Finley (peja) ,Lafrents (pollard), griffin (hedo). Do you think with a starting five of Nick, walt, dirk, najera, bradly, can win as many games as Sacramento Kings 16-5. I personally don't think so, yet so far, Mavs had an easier schedule than Kings and Lakers.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:33 PM   #38
Rezon8

Old 12-06-2002, 03:42 PM   #39
turbo.mav

Old 12-06-2002, 03:43 PM   #40
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

Who cares about the Kings in a thread called Mavs vs. Lakers??
digit is offline   Reply With Quote