Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

This trade was atrocious. The Mavs are beyond broken with Cuban running things, and I'm pretty sure the Mavs want to resign Brunson. Imagine if they figure out how to keep Brunson with $20m/yr.

Mavs will have THJ with his contract, Bertans and his contract, Dinwiddie and his contract, then add Brunson at $20m+/season (great player in a 6'5" and under league). SMH

This team is done for several years. Stick a fork in them, and say bye bye to Luka. He's as good as gone. Wow,
what a $hitshow.

Last edited by turin; 02-13-2022 at 10:57 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #2
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This trade was atrocious. The Mavs are beyond broken with Cuban running things, and I'm pretty sure the Mavs want to resign Brunson. Imagine if they figure out how to keep Brunson with $20m/yr.

Mavs will have THJ with his contract, Bertans and his contract, Dinwiddie and his contract, then add Brunson at $20+/season (great player in a 6'5" and under league). SMH

This team is done for several years. Stick a fork in them, and say bye bye to Luka. He's as good as gone. Wow,
what a $hitshow.
Here, I’ll cheer you up. Have you heard the rumour that they had an offer of Dragic, lottery protected 1st and contract match from Toronto for KP? And chose this double decker shit sandwhich instead?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Here, I’ll cheer you up. Have you heard the rumour that they had an offer of Dragic, lottery protected 1st and contract match from Toronto for KP? And chose this double decker shit sandwhich instead?
Ha! Mavs were never offered that and would never have turned that down.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I did a little digging and there is definitely some smoke there (including a quote from Raptors GM Bobby Webster) but you may be right. Webster phrased as something they considered but the contract length put them off. Interesting to know that other teams, even teams with great FO, were looking closely at KP. I still wonder if we could’ve gotten it over the finish line somehow by adding some more value. Maybe not. Though they went and made that bizarre trade for Thad Young so they were definitely dangling that first round pick around. Tells me somethijg about what they think of this years draft class too. Obviously not valuing that late teens early 20’s pick very highly.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-12-2022 at 02:25 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/2...orzingis-issue
The Trade Package
Last night, reporters leaked that the Raptors were offering a package of Goran Dragic and a protected first round pick. Many fans have stated they would have preferred that package over what the trade ended up being.

https://torontosun.com/sports/basket...een-with-white

Raptors NBA trade deadline fallout: Young more than a rental? Pro passing on Porzingis and what might have been with White

— I think the Raptors dodged a major bullet in not moving Dragic and a first (or Malachi Flynn) for Kristaps Porzingis.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:

Mavs will have THJ with his contract, Bertans and his contract, Dinwiddie and his contract, then add Brunson at $20+/season (great player in a 6'5" and under league). SMH

what a $hitshow.
Good to see you still around

While I do agree with you that the trade was awful. I still believe the Mavs have a chance to win at least one playoff series. I think losing KP hurts the interior defense, and it will catch up to them most likely in the playoffs when teams go at Powell.

I think most outlets I came across believe the trade was mainly done to get out of KP's contract and him not being available half the season didn't help. I thought Kidd did a great job using him and KP was moving much better but when you can't play you can't help your team.

I guess this sum it up best about the trade

Teams that got better at the trade deadline

4. Washington Wizards
The Mavericks and Wizards agreed to the most surprising deal of the deadline when they swapped Kristaps Porzingis for Spencer Dinwiddie and Davis Bertans. The motivation from Dallas’ side was clear: they didn’t think Porzingis was good enough to be Luka Doncic’s main co-star, and by moving him now they open up more opportunities in the future. We’ll see how Dallas comes out of this, but in the present the deal is a big win for Washington.

Taking a flier on Porzingis is exactly what a team in Washington’s position should do. KP is a 26-year-old with All-Star upside who has improved his defense this year. His threes aren’t falling, but he has a track record as a shooter. The biggest issue with Porzingis is his injury history, but the Wizards gave up very little of substance to get him. If Washington can get Porzingis to be the best version of himself over the next two seasons, this trade will look like highway robbery.

Teams whose jobs got more difficult after the trade deadline

5. Dallas Mavericks
The Mavs’ decision to trade Porzingis is all about finding a better co-star to pair with Luka Doncic for the future. The question is what becomes of the rest of this season. Dallas is currently No. 5 in the West, and Porzingis’ improved play from last year’s playoffs was a major reason for that. There’s an argument that losing KP will be addition by subtraction for Dallas this season, but I’m not sure I’m buying it. Unless Dinwiddie and Bertans immediately provide way more than they did in Washington this year, it seems like the Mavs are taking a step back to take a step forward in the future.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Imagine if they figure out how to keep Brunson with $20m/yr.
If they don’t, then they have really f’d up.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
If they don’t, then they have really f’d up.
Disagree. The Mavs f'd up on Brunson with his rookie contract. Compounding an error by overpaying for a small guard who disappears against length and size will be a typical Mavs move though.

Right now, the Mavs have a solid #1 player in Luka, Brunson is a #6, DFS a #7, Aside from that, they are mostly trash with 3 of them complete garbage assets due to contracts - THJ, Bertans, Dinwiddie. Brunson will soon be #4, since Powell is finally nearing the end of his ridiculous contract, and THAT was only $11 millionish per season!

The Mavs are f'd for YEARS, and Cuban will continue being tight with money while he rides the Luka train as long as possible for season ticket sales and revenue. This should last another year or two, and once Luka has enough bank, he'll start to pay a whole lot more attention to the mess around him. He'll tire of this crapshow real quick if he hasn't already, and I fully expect him to be gone in 3 years at best. Enjoy him while you can.

I'm pretty much done with the Mavs. All Luka has to do is check out the last 8 or so years of Dirk's career to see what he has to look forward to, and Dirk gave away frigging money to a billionaire hoping to improve his work situation. SMH

Last edited by turin; 02-13-2022 at 10:41 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Wow this guy goes hard after Cuban and some of it I agree with because Cuban is a shadow of the owner who once took over the Mavs

The entire article is basically what most of us have been saying about the Mavs even doing Dirk's best year their failure to surround a Super Star and it's happening again with Luka

Full article
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba...?ocid=msedgntp

Mavs fans had high hopes for Harrison. There was optimism he wouldn’t squander assets like his predecessor. That he wouldn’t continue the two-decades-old trend of trading assets for goofy European role players, no one else wants. Enter Davis Bertans.

Bertans has been brutally below-average at every facet of basketball, save for perimeter shooting. His 43 percent from 3, and 15.4 ppg during the 2019-2020 season earned him an absurd five-year, $80 million deal with the Washington Wizards. This season he’s averaged 5.7 ppg while shooting 31.9 percent from 3-point range. There are guys in the stands who can put up better numbers who aren’t getting paid an insane contract. It was thought the Wizards would never be able to trade Bertan’s atrocious deal. Enter Nico Harrison.

Or should we say, Mark Cuban? The Mavs owner has always been the shadow GM. He’s been blatantly outright about it. Dinwiddie’s crypto bro side hustle reeks of Cuban meddling at the deadline. Porziņģis wasn’t perfect. He usually wasn’t healthy either. Or easy to coach. Or typically fun for Luka to play with. But at least when he was suited up, he gave you 20 ppg. Dinwiddie and Bertans don’t even average 20 per combined.

It gets worse. Usually, the team dealing the worst player in the trade has to attach a pick to help the other team swallow the deal. In this case, both sides agreed KP was somehow the worst asset. So the Mavs added a second-round pick to unload Porziņģis’ large hospital bills and even more oversized ego.

The Porziņģis debacle has short-term and long-term implications. This trade was not really about Porziņģis, it was about Dončić. Now, most Mavs games will look a lot like the game directly after the trade. Against the depleted Clippers, Dončić had 51. The next highest scorer, Dorian Finney-Smith (who agreed to a contract extension right after the Porziņģis trade), had 12. In recent memory, no team has failed more at surrounding their young MVP candidate with a competitive roster than Cuban’s Mavs have for Dončić.

The Mavs just signed Dončić to his rookie extension at five years and $207.1 million. But that hasn’t been enough to keep most modern superstars from demanding a trade when it’s clear the team has hit a ceiling. It makes sense. The team that drafted you can give you the most money. Take it, then wait it out a year or two to see if they’re competent enough to build a contending squad. If they don’t, you secure the bag and get the trade. Many superstars have done it — most notably Anthony Davis with the Pelicans.

Why does this happen? Front offices hit a ceiling and couldn’t keep, or even get, their teams in contending status. So the superstar bolts. The Mavs have already surrounded Luka with the worst supporting cast of any NBA superstar. So now they go into the next five years of his rookie extension with only four out of five draft picks, the hefty salaries of Tim Hardaway Jr. (three more years), Dinwiddie (two more years), Reggie Bullock (two more years), and Bertans (three more years).

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-13-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #10
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Insinuating Cuban forced a deal for Dinwiddie because of crypto isn’t just stupid it’s reckless journalism without any basis in reality. I say that as a huge Cuban critic, and someone who would like for him to sell.

As others have pointed out:

1) KP is on a max deal and can’t stay healthy or provide any sort of consistency

2) other teams were unable to move their max players with similar issues (Russ, Wall)

3) the Mavs sold relatively high on KP who has at times looked good this season

4) the Mavs converted one horrendous contract into two bad contracts, but it wasn’t that long ago Bertans and Dinwiddie were both considered to be on fair deals

5) Bertans is an elite catch and shoot guy which the Mavs simply didn’t have

6) the best version of Spencer Dinwiddie is a two-way point with two-guard size

All in all I’m happy. I’m happy we pulled the trigger and blew it up to some extent instead of trying to pile crap onto more crap. Some may view this as a step backwards to go forward, I actually think it’s a step forward that increases our ceiling and raises our floor.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:46 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Insinuating Cuban forced a deal for Dinwiddie because of crypto isn’t just stupid it’s reckless journalism without any basis in reality. I say that as a huge Cuban critic, and someone who would like for him to sell.

As others have pointed out:

1) KP is on a max deal and can’t stay healthy or provide any sort of consistency

2) other teams were unable to move their max players with similar issues (Russ, Wall)

3) the Mavs sold relatively high on KP who has at times looked good this season

4) the Mavs converted one horrendous contract into two bad contracts, but it wasn’t that long ago Bertans and Dinwiddie were both considered to be on fair deals

5) Bertans is an elite catch and shoot guy which the Mavs simply didn’t have

6) the best version of Spencer Dinwiddie is a two-way point with two-guard size

All in all I’m happy. I’m happy we pulled the trigger and blew it up to some extent instead of trying to pile crap onto more crap. Some may view this as a step backwards to go forward, I actually think it’s a step forward that increases our ceiling and raises our floor.
This. For everyone screaming about horrible the Mavs are and how horrible Cuban is and how horrible this trade was... what more did you expect to get out of a KP trade? You think other teams were lining up around the block? Trading him at all I think is an accomplishment.

Unless the argument is then that we should just kept KP. In which case, I don't really know what to say. The sample size is more than big enough. We've seen the Luka-KP ceiling. It's not just about KP's inability to stay healthy. He's also just not that good and his fit next to Luka is questionable at best.

Sometimes the best you can do is cut your losses. No it doesn't excite me or make me all that hopeful for the future. But in general I do think it's easier to work with two smaller bad contracts than one huge one.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
This. For everyone screaming about horrible the Mavs are and how horrible Cuban is and how horrible this trade was... what more did you expect to get out of a KP trade? You think other teams were lining up around the block? Trading him at all I think is an accomplishment.

Unless the argument is then that we should just kept KP. In which case, I don't really know what to say. The sample size is more than big enough. We've seen the Luka-KP ceiling. It's not just about KP's inability to stay healthy. He's also just not that good and his fit next to Luka is questionable at best.

Sometimes the best you can do is cut your losses. No it doesn't excite me or make me all that hopeful for the future. But in general I do think it's easier to work with two smaller bad contracts than one huge one.
Just looking at the recent buyouts I'd much rather the Mavs had stood pat and rolled out a starting lineup of KP, DFS, Bullard, Luka and Brunson for the playoffs.

They could have signed Dragic and DSJ much cheaper to do the things they are asking Bertans & Dinwiddie to do off the bench.

Dragic, DSJ, Green, Kleber and Powell is pretty solid bench unit.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:57 PM   #13
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post

Yeah I mean the Mavs got what they could, idk what people expected out of that deal. And honestly, the Mavs have a better (slightly) path forward. KP is still in a suit. Who knows how long that lasts. If Mavs waited til the end of the season, KP would have even worse value. Im not excited about the deal, but im not mad at it. He had to be moved and the sooner the better
Old 02-13-2022, 05:47 PM   #14
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Dp

Last edited by tap2390; 02-13-2022 at 05:47 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote