Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-13-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Mission Impossible 3

What'd you guys think? It was much better than I expected it to be, and I actually liked it a lot.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think many people on here have seen it. I thought the first was ok. I thought the second one wasn't as good as the first... I can't say I have alot of interest in seeing the third.

I've had alot of dislike for Cruise for quite awhile...several years. I got tired of him taking the easy road time and time again with the scripts he selected. I lost alot of respect for him as an actor. He has simply lived off of his name for 15-20 years without actually doing much to impress anyone with his acting abilities with few exceptions.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

No plans to see it. I have zero desire to see Sciencetomogy in a film ever again. Maybe when it hits video but certainly not in the theaters.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was great. It only took me 20 minutes or so to stop thinking about Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch. After that, hardly a scientology thought. Philip Seymour Hoffman made the movie very good.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, I definetly think Cruise's beliefs are bullshit, but I loved the movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat and had tons of action. I thought it was a well done movie.

Doc, I would recommend seeing it, but it's not one that has to be seen in theaters.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Had some time to kill before the Mavs game, so i went to see it.

Nothing too spectacular about the film. The action sequences were pretty good. Popcorn flick indeed. Doc, it'll probably be best to wait.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:32 AM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The first MI was a decent movie, but terribley overrated.

I recently put my Tom Cruise boycott on hold to watch Collateral. Boy, did I regret it. I remembered the reason that I boycotted Cruise was not because of the scientology crap, but the guy is just not that great of an actor to begin with. I can't remember the last time he was able to sell his character as someone other than "the guy being played by Tom Cruise" and that includes the movies he's been in that have somehow been good despite the fact that he was in them.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-14-2006 at 07:18 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got tired of his roles. He very rarely took a chance. Hell, Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler have taken bigger chances than Cruise.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I thought Collateral was good Mary.

MI3, was dragged to it by friends. It was better than MI2, but that's not saying much at all. It was a fun ride with no thought involved and a very obvious "twist".

While I agree that Cruise has taken zero chances on tough roles, I still think he's produced some quality movies. There's nothing wrong with Mission Impossible (the original), Minority Report and Collateral, IMO.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-15-2006 at 10:43 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Collateral is one of Tom's best acting performances other than Born on the Fourth of July. I am not saying Oscar worthy but good. Collateral is just a great movie. Besides Michael Mann doesn't make bad movies. It isn't possible.

But that is getting off topic. I will see MI3 just because I love those type of movies. I still have not gotten tired of watching Spy Game. Its funny that I don't own any MI's on DVD. But, I have enjoyed them so far. Yes, MI2 wasn't as good as the original but hopefully MI3 will bring a different approach than the last.

Last edited by Nemesis; 05-15-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

I too liked Collateral. But, it might be the only Cruise movie that I truly liked since Jerry Maguire. I was disappointed with the first to Mission Impossible's... I was also extremely disappointed with War of the World's and Minority Report.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very dissapointed in all three of you.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-15-2006 at 11:30 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I had the choice between MI3 and Posiedon on Sunday. I chose Posiedon.....may have been the wrong choice. That was a bad movie.

But I still won't see MI3 in the theaters unless something happens beyond my control.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Posiedon is bad? ah, well. I was hoping for that movie to be scary. My wife wants to take a cruise (not tom) around the gulf, and I keep trying to convince her that those boats are dangerous. Taking her to that movie might've been my last hope.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
Posiedon is bad? ah, well. I was hoping for that movie to be scary. My wife wants to take a cruise (not tom) around the gulf, and I keep trying to convince her that those boats are dangerous. Taking her to that movie might've been my last hope.

Watch the original. It is a masterpiece. They should not have tried to remake this movie just because they wanted more. As we learned from Star Wars, more is NOT better.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

This brings up a question I've been kicking around for a couple years:

Is it possible for Josh Lucas to play lead in a good movie?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #17
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Is that the guy from Stealth?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
There is some eye candy in the film, it just doesn't come anywhere close to Gene Hackman and the original.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #19
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

yeah, Josh Lucas is from Stealth, the movie that defines the phrase "not an action hero."

I'll probably go see Poseidon anyway - there's just not a lot of "big" movies out. X-3 is coming in a couple weeks, but who can wait? I'll just lower my expectations and suck it up. Thanks for the warning.

I'll try to see Akeelah and the Bee as well. I've heard good things about that.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good action flick.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote