Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ricky Rubio

Quote:
Mark Cuban sweet talks Ricky Rubio

link

So, Mark Cuban has a crush on Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, who was drafted the by Minnesota Timberwolves in 2009, but still hasn't played for them as he prefers to play in sunny Barcelona instead of chilly Minny.

Rubio doesn't want to live in the frozen Midwest and if he continues to spurn the Wolves, Cuban, who said the Mavericks tried to trade up to nab Rubio -- "But we weren't close. We would have loved to draft him," Cuban told the St. Paul Pioneer Press Monday night -- is ready to pounce.

Of course, Rubio hasn't said he wants to play in the great Southwest either. He and his family prefer the East Coast. Still, Cuban is all ears if the Wolves get to a point to deal. He called Rubio a "star in the making" -- which sounds a lot like the descriptions used for some kid named Rodrigue Beaubois.

"We're very high on him," Cuban said told the newspaper. "If they want to give him up, we're very interested. We would do that in a heartbeat."

The Mavs are going to need a starting point in two seasons. Jason Kidd's contract expires after the 2011-12 season (assuming there is a season). Beaubois has been tapped the point guard of the future, but there's plenty of uncertainty if he the lightning-quick slasher will ever be able to assume that mantle.

Dallas was interested at the trade deadline of re-acquiring Devin Harris with designs of flipping him at some point for Deron Williams, but the New Jersey Nets took care of that.

The Wolves want Rubio to play for them, but if not...

"I don't think if he came in [to the NBA] now he would dominate the league or anything like that," Cuban said. "But, I think he would have a big impact here."

For those of you wondering how Cuban say such things without it being considered tampering by the league, there is no harm, no foul because Rubio is not under contract with the Wolves.

I would LOVE to have a facilitator like Rubio studying under Jason Kidd over the next couple seasons to become our eventual starting PG...

Thoughts?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Has Rubio shown himself to be anything but a perfect example of flash without substance and the hype machine of agents?

Last thing I heard he was averaging like 2ppg/1.8apg in Europe. Is he any good? I know he was 5th overall only 2 years ago and is only 20 but I've heard nothing since the draft that has made me think he's anything but a prospect looking less and less likely to meet the sky-high potential that was sold to the league during the 2009 draft.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Has Rubio shown himself to be anything but a perfect example of flash without substance and the hype machine of agents?

Last thing I heard he was averaging like 2ppg/1.8apg in Europe. Is he any good? I know he was 5th overall only 2 years ago and is only 20 but I've heard nothing since the draft that has made me think he's anything but a prospect looking less and less likely to meet the sky-high potential that was sold to the league during the 2009 draft.

I haven't kept up with the kid over in Europe, but I found some current stats a little more from Cuban here:

Quote:
According to the Pioneer Press, the 6-foot-4, 180-pound Rubio is averaging just 5.9 points, 4.3 assists and 23 minutes in 38 games for the DKV Joventut team in Europe this season. The Wolves are hoping to buy out his remaining contract for $1 million this summer.

"The thing about Europe ," Cuban said, "is it doesn't necessarily translate in terms of points and assists. You've got to look at talent, you've got to look at game IQ and you've got to look at age.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Yea, their stat keepers are much more particular, there's more ball movement, sharing, more interested in minutes, +/- and wins. The kid's mostly been more flash then dash. I remember him having a few glimpses in the Olympics, but 35-40 over 82 games is a different story. He's probably more Kidd like in that he's a facilitator, he doesn't have the rebounding, nor the defense....but he can learn from kidd and how he defends now at his advanced age.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

After seeing what J-Kidd has done to make JJB a much better facilitator on offense, I can only imagine what he could do with Rubio. Rubio has a great tool set, doesn't have a great jumper but can make some ridiculous passes.
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Rubio has no jump shot but he should be lethal in the open floor and be a great faciliatator, don't think he will be a star but a solid starting point guard
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

What the article seems to insinuate is that Roddy could be moved for Ricky and I wouldn't do that personally. (I've also only seen Rubio highlights).

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
What the article seems to insinuate is that Roddy could be moved for Ricky and I wouldn't do that personally. (I've also only seen Rubio highlights).
The article I linked in post #3 insinuates that Minny might be planning to buy out Rubio this summer...

Last edited by Underdog; 03-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

2015 Mavs

Ricky
Roddy
Corey
Ianny
?????

Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Alykhan04

Alykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to allAlykhan04 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
2015 Mavs

Ricky
Roddy
Corey
Ianny
?????
Ricky
Roddy
Corey
Ian
D. Howard

Sixth Man of The Year: Dirk Nowitzki. Boom.
Alykhan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alykhan04 View Post
Ricky
Roddy
Corey
Ian
D. Howard

Sixth Man of The Year: Dirk Nowitzki. Boom.
Pretty sure Deron Williams would start over Rubio
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Last summer I already said we should fight for Rubio. He was best PG in Europa Championships in Poland. He's fast, good dribbler, playmaker and he can drive.
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
nwtzk

nwtzk is on a distinguished road

If we can get Rubio, it will be a plus for the Mavs because we don't rely on Barea anymore.

Pure Awesomeness
nwtzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

How we get him is the major question. Minny won't let him go easily. Minny is stockpiled with wings. Roddy has not done us any favors this season to drive up his trade value. Beasley, Love, Milicic/Randolph, Rubio, Johnson/Webster. Add a top lottery pick, now if they're in the spot to land Kyrie Irving, then possibly they'd let Rubio go. What can the Mavs seriously offer, Roddy, Jones, 3 firsts.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
How we get him is the major question. Minny won't let him go easily. Minny is stockpiled with wings. Roddy has not done us any favors this season to drive up his trade value. Beasley, Love, Milicic/Randolph, Rubio, Johnson/Webster. Add a top lottery pick, now if they're in the spot to land Kyrie Irving, then possibly they'd let Rubio go. What can the Mavs seriously offer, Roddy, Jones, 3 firsts.
Rubio's play overseas this past year has been anything but stellar. Im not giving up 3 firsts for the kid for sure, especially when you consider this is a lottery team for sure once Dirk does retire. I wouldn't give up more than 1 first.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 AM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

6.5ppg, 3.2rpg, 3.5apg in 23mpg but on 40% FG and 22% 3pt

His efficiency looks good until you see what FG% he's shooting at
his assist numbers look good until you realize he's only a 2:1 A/TO ratio
his rebounding isnt bad but...well I cant think of anything
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
lone laker

lone laker is on a distinguished road

I seem to remember Brandon Jennings dissing him a couple of years ago...
lone laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #18
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone laker View Post
I seem to remember Brandon Jennings dissing him a couple of years ago...
for a 39% shooter he sure does talk a lot
Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #19
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12FOZsjWxwk

just a highlight... but looks like he got the dishes.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
lone laker

lone laker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
for a 39% shooter he sure does talk a lot
That's up from 37% his rookie year. He's been practicin'...
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #21
jasonic

jasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to alljasonic is a name known to all

He 's overrated.
He started his career in Spain at the age of 15 and everyone say about him he was the next big thing. Now at 21 the predictions for him are lower. Imho i think he 'll be a decent player and surely not a star. His shot is bad and he 's very weak.
In Euroleague playoffs his team (Barcelona) played against Panathinaikos who one of their player is Nick Calathes, who was drafted by the Wolves and then traded to Mavs. Anyway, Calathes played some outstanding defence on Juan Carlos Navarro (ex-player of Grizzles) and did an excellent series, while Rubio was awful.
jasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonic View Post
He 's overrated.
He started his career in Spain at the age of 15 and everyone say about him he was the next big thing. Now at 21 the predictions for him are lower. Imho i think he 'll be a decent player and surely not a star. His shot is bad and he 's very weak.
In Euroleague playoffs his team (Barcelona) played against Panathinaikos who one of their player is Nick Calathes, who was drafted by the Wolves and then traded to Mavs. Anyway, Calathes played some outstanding defence on Juan Carlos Navarro (ex-player of Grizzles) and did an excellent series, while Rubio was awful.

Hey, great stuff - we don't get a whole lot of Euroleague news around here...

The more I hear about Calathes, the more I hope the Mavs make a move to bring him to Dallas. I know we still have rights on him, just gotta convince him to come...

Last edited by Underdog; 05-11-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #23
mavs777
Diamond Member

with the lockout situation and his team having an option i think it makes sense for him to stay overseas for 1 last year
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
mavs777
Diamond Member

T Wolves are close to signing rubio
Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Just from his stats I think Rubio is over hyped. I just don't see the value in him I say stay away from any deal involving Rubio.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
mavs777
Diamond Member

I honestly wouldn't take much away from his stats in euroleague, its a structure based slow down offense usually, thats not where Rubio is at his best he is best on the break attacking and making great dimes on the break he will succeed in the NBA I think not sure if he will be a star but I think he will be an above average starting point
Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #27
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

A player who doesn't want to play for an NBA team cause of the weather doesn't strike me as a player who has the right set of mind. What if he doesn't like to play in an arena that has noisy fans? Is he opting to stay at home during road trips? Keep that soft juice in Spain, please!

Last edited by twelli; 05-15-2011 at 06:12 AM.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #28
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

With the lottery here, would be interesting to see what Minny does is some how they are in lign to draft Irving. Do they continue to milk the Rubio clock? See how Irving does? With Love, Beasley and Johnson up front, also moves could be done there if they have the Derrick Williams option. Lots of movement expected if Minny gets 1st or 2nd pick.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #29
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
With the lottery here, would be interesting to see what Minny does is some how they are in lign to draft Irving. Do they continue to milk the Rubio clock? See how Irving does? With Love, Beasley and Johnson up front, also moves could be done there if they have the Derrick Williams option. Lots of movement expected if Minny gets 1st or 2nd pick.
I think Minnessotta goes with Williams if they get the first pick but I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down
Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
Underdog

Report: Ricky Rubio will play for Wolves

Old 06-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #31
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Rubio is going to be the FLOP! Face first flop. The worst PG in the league on defense and won't even be able to reach the rim with a 3pt shot. WeAkSaUcE.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #32
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Rubio is going to be the FLOP! Face first flop. The worst PG in the league on defense and won't even be able to reach the rim with a 3pt shot. WeAkSaUcE.
His defense is above average, great passer too, he is going to be good, not great.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #33
Underdog

Yeah, I don't see Rubio being an All-Star, but he'll be a legitimate starter in this league.

I bet Kevin Love is going to enjoy working with a pass-first PG - look for Minny to turn it around in the next few years if they can build on this...

Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 PM   #34
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, I don't see Rubio being an All-Star, but he'll be a legitimate starter in this league.

I bet Kevin Love is going to enjoy working with a pass-first PG - look for Minny to turn it around in the next few years if they can build on this...
funny cause this was kevin loves first tweet once he heard the news
kevinlove Kevin Love
Ricky Rubio huh? I'll believe it when I see it...

I think it is a step in the right direction but they need Wesley Johnson to work out for them in the wing because he is one of the few guys on that team that has the potential to be a very good defender, and that is really the end where they are lacking.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #35
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Bigger but less athletic Rondo is his ceiling. So that's a good player.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #36
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I watched Rubio against Miami, and I have to say he's fun to watch. His passing reminds me of Nash. A good (the only?) reason to watch the T'Wolves and a good reason why the Mavs should take Minnesota seriously the next game.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #37
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
I watched Rubio against Miami, and I have to say he's fun to watch. His passing reminds me of Nash. A good (the only?) reason to watch the T'Wolves and a good reason why the Mavs should take Minnesota seriously the next game.
He makes riskier passes then nash does but he is an elite passer already for sure, he even made 2 threes in that game. Love is fun to watch too.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #38
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I wasn't around to see him play, but does anyone see Pete Maravich flashbacks watching this kid? The precision in the bounce passes, the basketball IQ with the natural ability of being a floor leader. Not to mention the hair, obviously. He's going to be very good.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #39
twelli
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
I wasn't around to see him play, but does anyone see Pete Maravich flashbacks watching this kid? The precision in the bounce passes, the basketball IQ with the natural ability of being a floor leader. Not to mention the hair, obviously. He's going to be very good.
I think both players like(d) the no-look, behind-the-back, over the shoulder passes, but difficult to compare players of different eras.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #40
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Rubio=ROY...Rookie of Year
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the next steve nash