Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-11-2004, 08:03 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dal/NJ

New Jersey trades: Jason Kidd (No games yet played in 2004/05)
C Alonzo Mourning (12.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 23.8 minutes)
New Jersey receives: PG Jason Terry (13.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 27.6 minutes)
SG Jerry Stackhouse (10.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg in 27.0 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.0 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.5 ppg, -3.1 rpg, and +4.4 apg.

Dallas trades: PG Jason Terry (13.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 2.6 apg in 27.6 minutes)
SG Jerry Stackhouse (10.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.8 apg in 27.0 minutes)
C Calvin Booth (0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.0 minutes)
Dallas receives: Jason Kidd (No games yet played in 2004/05)
C Alonzo Mourning (12.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 23.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -11.5 ppg, +3.1 rpg, and -4.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Does Dallas trade off this kind of depth for Kidd, and his albatross of a contract? Is Kidd/Mourning enough to put Dallas over the top?
Does NJ make this trade?

Just curious what people think.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dal/NJ

I have several problems with the deal.

First, Alonzo Mourning appears to be back and playing again, but how long will that last? Does he realistically have a shot to play another productive 2-3 years, or will he back into retirement by midseason? If he plays at even his current level and can play out the contract, that's one thing. If, on the other hand, he can't, why would we take on more dead salary?

Second, Jason Kidd's salary is a huge albatross. If I knew that Kidd could come back and play at 80-85% of his former self for the next 4 years, I might still consider it. But I don't know that.

I'd probably consider the deal if I knew Kidd and Mourning's health status, but it's an awfully big gamble; one that I'm quite certain Cuban won't take.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dal/NJ

Oh, I forgot to answer your other questions.

Does NJ make the trade? Yeah, probably, because they clear a TON of salary and obtain reasonably-priced and talented players to fill the gap until they draft more talent.

Does Kidd and Mourning put Dallas over the top? That all depends. What level is Kidd playing at? What level is Mourning playing at? How long will they both last? One would think that a frontcourt of Dampier/Mourning/Nowitzki, wings of Finley/Daniels/Howard, and points of Kidd and Harris would be quite formidable indeed, if they all were relatively healthy. But that's a big IF.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:34 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE: Dal/NJ

I don´t see any need for this trade.

This game is running through Dirk at the moment, with him getting alot of help from the supporting cast. Getting in a superstar at Point Guard might change this.

I love having both Finley and Stackhouse around. I´m very happy to have each position manned with two valuable contributors (Harris / Terry, Finley / Stack, Daniels / Howard, Dampier / Bradley), I´m not sure I´d be willing to change that.

No need.