Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Well...that's where this whole thing just sort of breaks down logically and ends up being every man to his own taste. Because we can start going in circles quite easily. As in...if there was nothing special about the supporting cast in '11, then why didn't Dirk get anything done before now? Since he didn't, does this imply that there *was* something special about the '11 cast? This can go on and on...

As for whether you "have to admit anything" or not...I certainly wasn't speaking specifically to you. Rather, I was speaking of the general Mavs fan. If you are an exception to that, great. I love optimism as much as the next guy. It's why I am charged up about next year's team.
The thing that was "special" about the group was that they played toward the peak at the right time, handled their roles and played together. They also had luck along the way and responded when they easily could have gone off the tracks. It's not a given that they would or would not have done those same things going forward. The only thing that was certain was that they were due to be paid and that was going to cause an issue with what was about to happen with the CBA.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 08-12-2012 at 11:52 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
t's not a given that they would or would not have done those same things going forward.
Exactly. That is the only true statement that can be made. And, one will also note, it says absolutely nothing.

Quote:
The only thing that was certain was that they were due to be paid and that was going to cause an issue with what was about to happen with the CBA.
Paid, yes. Cause an issue? Well, if you consider winning another title an "issue," then yeah.

I was just kidding about that.

Or, was I?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Kidd sucked last season - explain how Tyson Chandler would've fixed that...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jason Kidd sucked last season - explain how Tyson Chandler would've fixed that...
And Jason Terry went back to playing the usual no defense. If Chandler is needed to make others play defense, then that is on those players...not Tyson Chandler. This year's team should be pretty good on both ends and hopefully won't need someone to motivate them to do something they should always be doing anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
|_Jeff_|

|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about|_Jeff_| has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Watch the All-NBA center play with Kidd on the Knicks this season for your answer.

I'd say the answer is four-part:
  • Chandler lobs
    Chandler screens
    Chandler spacing
    Chandler covering defensive weaknesses

All of which would have helped Kidd and Dirk last season. Not to mention giving the team hope of defending the title rather than going through the season as Jet said "playing for next year".
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
|_Jeff_| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:
This ^ personally I am not one of those that thinks bringing back the band would have had us winning it all. I am just one those that thinks Dirk + Chandler is a great combo. Could there be others? Maybe. Can we get them here? Maybe. Did Tyson offer to stay? Hell yes. Mine is a one in the hand two in the bush sort of argument. I towed the line at the time when we let them all go and understand the Cuban CBA thoughts. But looking back I kinda wish we paid that man his money (just Chandler not the rest). Now we have to scratch to get another big man to play some hard D behind Dirk.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
This ^ personally I am not one of those that thinks bringing back the band would have had us winning it all. I am just one those that thinks Dirk + Chandler is a great combo. Could there be others? Maybe. Can we get them here? Maybe. Did Tyson offer to stay? Hell yes. Mine is a one in the hand two in the bush sort of argument. I towed the line at the time when we let them all go and understand the Cuban CBA thoughts. But looking back I kinda wish we paid that man his money (just Chandler not the rest). Now we have to scratch to get another big man to play some hard D behind Dirk.
I think you're where alot of people are. Some seem to think that the only options were to either keep the band together or to basically blow it all apart except for the people they kept for the 2011 season..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Scratch to get another big man to play D? The center position is stronger than ever. Kaman and Brand each averaged 1.6 blocks per game last season. Sure, no player is the help-side defender that Tyson is, but this current team doesn't need to rely on it. Kidd and Terry aren't on the team anymore. Good grief, not two seasons ago people were gushing over getting a guy like Kaman. Some people need to open their eyes to what we actually have.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Scratch to get another big man to play D? The center position is stronger than ever. Kaman and Brand each averaged 1.6 blocks per game last season. Sure, no player is the help-side defender that Tyson is, but this current team doesn't need to rely on it. Kidd and Terry aren't on the team anymore. Good grief, not two seasons ago people were gushing over getting a guy like Kaman. Some people need to open their eyes to what we actually have.
OK OK OK... lol I am with you man, this will be fun to see how they come together no doubt. I am just a fan of the Chandler/Dirk combo. I thought it was solid. Kaman, if he stays healthy and Brand if he works out will be great too and maybe I will BECOME a fan of one of those combos. And yes we had to scratch to get Brand on a lucky bid and Kaman could have easily slipped away. My point was that we HAD a guy in our hand that worked. That's all. And I totally agree that the FO flipped it up with efficiency at the last second. Kudos for that move.

Last edited by ibivibiv; 08-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Yea but at his price...10 to 11 mill for Chandler sounds good but Chandler wanted close to 15 mill a season and there's no way he's worth that, I think one of the reasons Chandler was mad at the Mavs for not keep him was because he thought Cuban would overpay to keep him but didn't and let him walk. I miss that Dirk and Chandler combo also but Chandler was asking for Superstar money.

Last edited by Thomas86; 08-15-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #11
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
Yea but at his price...10 to 11 mill for Chandler sounds good but Chandler wanted close to 15 mill a season and there's no way he's worth that, I think one of the reasons Chandler was mad at the Mavs for not keep him was because he thought Cuban would overpay to keep him but didn't and let him walk. I miss that Dirk and Chandler combo also but Chandler was asking for Superstar money.
I don't remember him being mad at the Mavs, at least not publicly. Maybe I didn't catch the statements that suggested he was mad.

It would have been interesting to see how he would have reacted to an offer in the neighborhood of 5/60--less money per year than in New York, yet the biggest amount of money overall due to the additional year that only we could have offered. Then again, it's idle to speculate now (or six months ago for that matter). That ship has sailed.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post

I was just kidding about that.

Or, was I?
I don't know, haha.

Tags
dad joke of the week, dm.com cuban cock suckers, echo chamber members only, look at me i'm murphy3!, my ass bleeds for tyson, trailertrash