Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

View Poll Results: Should we trade for Rajon Rondo?
Yes, get Rondo at all costs. 12 29.27%
It depends what we give up. 26 63.41%
No, I don't want him at all. 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Some of you guys who bash the idea before it even happens, need to get some perspective. We aren't going anywhere with our team, as currently constructed, period. Our defense is absolute trash for the better part of the last two seasons. We know that Dirk is signed for three more seasons including this one. That means we won't start any rebuilding before the 2017/2018 season.

So my question, what do we have to lose, even if we sign Rondo to a hefty three-year contract? Nothing, we want to win another championship, and nobody else is really available at the moment. You might as well take a chance at Rondo, maybe it will work. I don't think the chances are great, but you have to try something.
We have a long way to go until we can be an elite offensive team against the great defenses in the league. We have even further to go with our defense and rebounding. Those may not even be possible.

As good as we are offensively, offense can be disrupted. Who cares if we can score, if we can't also defend. In those closing moments of games, we're having troubles defending and getting important rebounds. Even the best offensive team can be disrupted and beaten by a team that can get offensive rebounds, steals, and get to the line.

Our odds right now aren't terrible, but they aren't good either. We're a stacked regular-season team right now as built. I want to keep Wright, but who cares if we go 13-deep if we can't close a game with five?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We have a long way to go until we can be an elite offensive team against the great defenses in the league. We have even further to go with our defense and rebounding. Those may not even be possible.

As good as we are offensively, offense can be disrupted. Who cares if we can score, if we can't also defend. In those closing moments of games, we're having troubles defending and getting important rebounds. Even the best offensive team can be disrupted and beaten by a team that can get offensive rebounds, steals, and get to the line.

Our odds right now aren't terrible, but they aren't good either. We're a stacked regular-season team right now as built. I want to keep Wright, but who cares if we go 13-deep if we can't close a game with five?
That's the defense. All offenses can get disrupted. That's why defensive teams win championships. A 3 point shooting role player that can play elite defense would be ideal for this team at the PG.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 12-18-2014 at 02:52 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I like Wright, he is an excellent role player, and he had the potential to be something more, but I don't think it will ever happen, unless he is playing with a PG like Paul. He is also the best example . by far - of why minute adjustment is so important when it comes to advanced stats.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Quote:
We have a long way to go until we can be an elite offensive team against the great defenses in the league.
LOL. Are we watching the same team? Mavs have the best offense of ALL-TIME in terms of points per possession.
iggymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymcfly View Post
LOL. Are we watching the same team? Mavs have the best offense of ALL-TIME in terms of points per possession.
No doubt. And they still are 0-for against Western Conference contenders.

Mavs are, at best, a 2nd round playoff team right now. There's currently nothing out there better then the Rondo move. Seems pretty low risk/high reward to me.
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Did we take over the Raptors again? Also, for an all-time great offense, we really crapped the bed against Western playoff teams this season, especially with our three point shooting If I remember correctly.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you saying that season stats which include games against some of the WORST teams the NBA has ever fielded mean more than the stats we put out against quality opponents.

Look at us vs. good defenses. We haven't played many, which is why our season stats look so rosy. If you look at just the good defensive teams, you'll see two things. 1) they ARE who we have to beat to get far in the playoffs, and 2) they can make us look bad offensively.

We're a great offensive team when there isn't much opposition. We're a FANTASTIC regular season team as long as we keep playing inferior Eastern teams. I'm not talking about the regular season opponents, though. I'm talking about the big dogs we have to be able to overcome to get out of the first round. Our playoff run WILL include three of the following five teams

Memphis, San Antonio, Clippers, Warriors, and Rockets

I could care less how we play against Philly. It is concerning when our defense is so bad and our offense is so weak against those five teams.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-18-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Quote:
Are you saying that season stats which include games against some of the WORST teams the NBA has ever fielded mean more than the stats we put out against quality opponents.

Look at us vs. good defenses. We haven't played many, which is why our season stats look so rosy. If you look at just the good defensive teams, you'll see two things. 1) they ARE who we have to beat to get far in the playoffs, and 2) they can make us look bad offensively.

We're a great offensive team when there isn't much opposition. We're a FANTASTIC regular season team as long as we keep playing inferior Eastern teams. I'm not talking about the regular season opponents, though. I'm talking about the big dogs we have to be able to overcome to get out of the first round. Our playoff run WILL include three of the following five teams

I could care less how we play against Philly. It is concerning when our defense is so bad and our offense is so weak against those five teams.
Possibly OKC...what do you think Westbrook does to Nelson/Harris/Barea?
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
iggymcfly

iggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really niceiggymcfly is just really nice

Quote:

We've played 7 championship contending teams. 6 of those games were on the road and we went 2-5. One of the losses was by 1 in San Antonio and one was by 3 in Houston which suggests that if we'd had an equal home/road split in those games, we'd be right around .500. I don't see why record against West contenders is more meaningful than record against contenders overall, especially with such a small sample. Toronto's just as good as Portland and Houston. And even if you want to quibble on including Chicago, they certainly have an elite defense, so if your hypothesis is that we can't get it done against top defenses, then that performance is still a very useful data point there. And again, playing Chicago on the road is just as tough as playing a top West contender at home. Obviously, if you parse the numbers down enough, you can make them say whatever you want, but I haven't seen any evidence so far that the Mavs offense can't get it done against top teams.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
We've played 7 championship contending teams. 6 of those games were on the road and we went 2-5. One of the losses was by 1 in San Antonio and one was by 3 in Houston which suggests that if we'd had an equal home/road split in those games, we'd be right around .500. I don't see why record against West contenders is more meaningful than record against contenders overall, especially with such a small sample. Toronto's just as good as Portland and Houston. And even if you want to quibble on including Chicago, they certainly have an elite defense, so if your hypothesis is that we can't get it done against top defenses, then that performance is still a very useful data point there. And again, playing Chicago on the road is just as tough as playing a top West contender at home. Obviously, if you parse the numbers down enough, you can make them say whatever you want, but I haven't seen any evidence so far that the Mavs offense can't get it done against top teams.
Only a statistician would say that losing to a team by 1-3 points means that we'd win games against them in the future, particularly when you compare the clutch statistics in each of those games and also take into account that even with a miniscule sample size, we're roughly as good at home as we are on the road. Milwaukee only lost to us by 2 in Dallas and are better at home than on the road. Does that mean that Milwaukee has a good chance of beating us in Milwaukee?

Also, I don't know how you can immediately group games together like playing in Chicago being equal to playing Memphis at home-- a team that is only 4-5 (.444) when playing there.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-18-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
iggymcfly

Quote:
Only a statistician would say that losing to a team by 1-3 points means that we'd win games against them in the future, particularly when you compare the clutch statistics in each of those games and also take into account that even with a miniscule sample size, we're roughly as good at home as we are on the road. Milwaukee only lost to us by 2 in Dallas and are better at home than on the road. Does that mean that Milwaukee has a good chance of beating us in Milwaukee?

Also, I don't know how you can immediately group games together like playing in Chicago being equal to playing Memphis at home-- a team that is only 4-5 (.444) when playing there.
So how much do you really believe this stuff about our homecourt being worse than other teams or the Mavs specifically being bad against good defenses? Like do you really think we're less than 50% to beat the Spurs Saturday or are you just posturing for the sake of argument? If I could make the bet now with someone completely reliable, I'd be ecstatic to take the Mavericks even money to win that game for a large amount of money.

Last edited by iggymcfly; 12-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
So how much do you really believe this stuff about our homecourt being worse than other teams or the Mavs specifically being bad against good defenses? Like do you really think we're less than 50% to beat the Spurs Saturday or are you just posturing for the sake of argument? If I could make the bet now with someone completely reliable, I'd be ecstatic to take the Mavericks even money to win that game for a large amount of money.

Good thing you don't live in Vegas.