Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-30-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

AP Article on Nash's recent struggles. He claims they are not due to fatigue.

Nash hopes to ease his pain

Posted: Tuesday April 29, 2003 6:23 PM

DALLAS (AP) -- Steve Nash has been pretty tough on himself the last few days.

Since having his worst game of the season in the Dallas Mavericks' most important game yet, the point guard hasn't slept well and has felt guilty about letting his teammates down.

And the hockey-style playoff beard he's growing is itching something fierce.

Possibly shaved and certainly more self-assured, Nash and the Mavericks will try again Wednesday night to wrap up their first-round series against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Dallas blew a chance to sweep by losing Game 4 98-79 Sunday in Portland. Nash had zero points, four turnovers and three assists in 21 minutes, triggering what he calls his overly analytical response.

"I suffer, greatly, when I play poorly," said Nash, an All-Star the past two seasons. "I feel bad about myself. It's my weakness. I should maybe be stronger and not allow it to pain me so much. At the same time, maybe that's an insecurity mechanism for success."

Nash wasn't alone in underachieving. Michael Finley was 3-of-12 for seven points and the entire team scored just 10 in the third quarter.

"The chances of that happening again are not likely," said teammate Nick Van Exel. "That's why we feel so confident."

Portland is trying to become the first NBA team to overcome a 3-0 deficit, which would require giving the Mavericks four straight losses for the first time since March 2000. The Blazers also are missing several several key players.

Scottie Pippen declared himself out of Game 5 because of a knee problem. Fellow backcourt starter Derek Anderson had knee surgery Saturday and is out the rest of the playoffs.

Forward Ruben Patterson missed practice Tuesday because of the flu, while center Arvydas Sabonis, fighting back problems, is still listed as day-to-day after going through a light workout.

"It's tough," forward Bonzi Wells said. "Hopefully we can do again what we did in Game 4."

Pippen, who hasn't played or practiced since the opener, isn't optimistic about returning for Game 6, if there is one.

"I'm frustrated," he said. "I want to be a part of this series."

The last time the teams met in Dallas, Nash led the Mavs with 28 points, 11 during a tight fourth quarter. He made 10-of-14 field goals, including five 3-pointers.

That was his only good shooting night this series. He was only 3-of-11 in the opener, 4-of-12 in Game 3 and 0-for-4 Sunday.

Regardless of whether his shot was falling, Nash ran the point nicely the first three games, balancing 27 assists with seven turnovers. That ratio also was out of whack in Game 5.

"They didn't really do anything different," Nash said. "I just never really got any rhythm."

Because Nash plays a frenetic style, his health is always a question, especially when he struggles. He insisted Tuesday that's not an issue.

"The sad thing about Sunday was that I felt great physically. Mentally, I just never got into the game," he said. "You get plenty of rest in the playoffs -- there's never a back-to-back and sometimes two or three days between games. So fatigue shouldn't be a factor."

Sticking with his analytical approach, Nash said the team could benefit from losing Game 4.

"We can look at it as a new challenge, an opportunity to put pressure on ourselves to win a game," he said. "That might help us not only in this game, but also in the next series.

"Last year, we swept Minnesota and we were really rusty after that week off once we started the Sacramento series."

Nash joked that another positive was owner Mark Cuban getting to sell more tickets.

"It's always nice for Mark to make a couple of extra million dollars," Nash said, laughing. "Maybe he'll kick some down to us."

Old 04-30-2003, 09:26 AM   #2
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Nash joked that another positive was owner Mark Cuban getting to sell more tickets.

&quot;It's always nice for Mark to make a couple of extra million dollars,&quot; Nash said, laughing. &quot;Maybe he'll kick some down to us.&quot;
>>

Proof positive that they lost on purpose in Game 4 to make more money and sell more tickets. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Good one KG...

Well I'm atleast glad that it's not fatigue because I would have been pissed if it were...

So hopefully, they'll win game five easily so we can be DONE with the JAILBLAZERS. (I love that name)
Old 04-30-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Suffer? Did he actually say 'suffer'? What a melodramatic, weenie psychodoofus.

Memo to Steve: Butch up, body up and tighten up on defense, and hit a bleedin' shot next game, and your 'suffering' will be greatly alleviated.

Unbelievable.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:27 AM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

<< &quot;I suffer, greatly, when I play poorly,&quot; said Nash, an All-Star the past two seasons. &quot;I feel bad about myself. It's my weakness. I should maybe be stronger and not allow it to pain me so much. At the same time, maybe that's an insecurity mechanism for success.&quot; >>

I think this is his problem, too. He becomes insecure, fearful, nervous, in the big games and in the playoffs -though he improved in the last 2 against Sac.

I was wondering this morning if NVE could be a better starting PG during the playoffs. Even though he didn't play at his level during a year with Dallas, lately, maybe since the All Star game, he is playing better.

However, I'm still confident in Nash's improvement, against Sac at least.

<< Nash wasn't alone in underachieving. Michael Finley was 3-of-12 for seven points and the entire team scored just 10 in the third quarter. >>

Now I didn't say it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

<< Nash joked that another positive was owner Mark Cuban getting to sell more tickets.

&quot;It's always nice for Mark to make a couple of extra million dollars,&quot; Nash said, laughing. &quot;Maybe he'll kick some down to us.&quot;
>>

Funny. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
Malachi Mav

Malachi Mav is on a distinguished road

I totally agree.

He needs to suck it up and play it out tough.

Reputations are made during the season, but cemented during the playoffs. If he really DOES want to get to be an elite point guard, NOW is the time to show it - THIS game! After last year's stomping by the Kings - Bibby in particular - Stevie needs to get some killer instinct.

If he does ANYTHING in the 3rd quarter of Game Four, we probably don't lose it. I know that Finley and others share the blame, but the ball always starts out in Nash's hands.

Come ON, Steve!!

We need you!!

MM
Malachi Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Steve must really be hurting now.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Nash should leave for vacation now. I don't think it would hurt the team the way he's been playing and might just help it.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:54 PM   #9
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

If he keeps playing like this he will go out like Billie Buckner.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nash: No excuses for poor performances
Mavericks point guard does admit sore hip is a concern

05/01/2003

By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News

Mavericks point guard Steve Nash had his second consecutive poor performance Wednesday night, conceding that his sore right hip has become a concern, but refusing to use it as an excuse.

&quot;I'm just going to stay confident and not let this get me down,&quot; said Nash, who shot just 2-of-11 from the field during Dallas' 103-99 loss to Portland at American Airlines Center.

&quot;It's what I worked hard all summer for, to be in this situation. For it to be going so poorly at this point isn't enough to make me quit.&quot;

In the last two games, Nash is a combined 2-of-15 from the field and has scored seven points. When he made his first field goal of Wednesday night with 10:45 in the third quarter it broke an 82:20 drought since his last field goal, in the fourth quarter of Game 3. Not coincidentally, the Mavericks have lost both games, and now their series lead has been cut to 3-2 entering Game 6 Friday night in Portland.

Nash has been receiving treatments on the hip, but he refuses to use it as an excuse for his poor play. Backup point guard Nick Van Exel stepped up with 25 points Wednesday night, but clearly if the Mavericks are to make any headway in the playoffs, Nash must pull his game together.

Even if Dallas gets past Portland, a probable matchup with Sacramento and its standout point guards, Mike Bibby and Bobby Jackson, looms ominously. That tandem outplayed Nash and Van Exel during last year's Western Conference semifinals.

&quot;You never know with Steve,&quot; said Van Exel, when asked if Nash's hip is bothering him more than he is letting on. &quot;Steve may be injured, but Steve is not going to be the type of guy who complains.

&quot;What we've got to do as a team is rally around him. We've just got to pull him up.&quot;

Mavericks coach Don Nelson said he isn't sure how much Nash's hip is bothering him but added:

&quot;When Nash gets nicked up, then his shot seems to go. I'd say he's a little nicked up, probably.&quot;

The problem is the Mavericks have only 48 hours between Games 5 and 6, not much time for healing or finding one's confidence.

&quot;To an extent, I want to be smart,&quot; Nash said. &quot;I don't want to completely shoot us out of it if I can't get it going. But at the same time I'm going to stay aggressive and try to score.&quot;

Old 05-01-2003, 02:25 AM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

If Nash has a sore hip, then Nellie should rest him for game 6. Have him show up in street clothes or don't even make the trip to Portland.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:39 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think he's any more banged up now than any other player in the playoffs. I'm tired of the excuses for the guy. He needs to suck it up and come out and contribute
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:11 AM   #13
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

&quot;Nash Hopes to Ease His Pain&quot;

Hand him a loaded pistol.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Statement 1:

<< &quot;I suffer, greatly, when I play poorly,&quot; said Nash, an All-Star the past two seasons. &quot;I feel bad about myself. It's my weakness. I should maybe be stronger and not allow it to pain me so much. At the same time, maybe that's an insecurity mechanism for success.&quot; >>

Statement 2:

<< &quot;I'm just going to stay confident and not let this get me down,&quot; said Nash, who shot just 2-of-11 from the field during Dallas' 103-99 loss to Portland at American Airlines Center.

&quot;It's what I worked hard all summer for, to be in this situation. For it to be going so poorly at this point isn't enough to make me quit.&quot;
>>

So what happened to his &quot;suffering-as-insecurity-mechanism-for-success&quot; theory? From 'suffering' to 'not-let-this-get-me-down'. What an unstable puss.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:17 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

i don't think he's any more banged up now than any other player in the playoffs. I'm tired of the excuses for the guy. He needs to suck it up and come out and contribute

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hand him a loaded pistol.

Just like a horse, take him out of his misery then..

This guy has now TRULY PISSED ME OFF!!!!!!!! Now it took me two years to really appreciate him, but now this is ridiculous, it's the SAME THING EVERY YEAR!!!! His minutes have been watched this year because Nellie is always concerned about this, and HE STILL is breaking down at the end of the year.. I wish I can find the thread that someone made a year and half ago saying, &quot;There's no reason to believe Nash won't be at an ALL-Star level for the next five to six years. He's a John Stockton type.&quot; NO THE HELL HE IS NOT!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 09:51 AM   #16
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< i don't think he's any more banged up now than any other player in the playoffs. I'm tired of the excuses for the guy. He needs to suck it up and come out and contribute >>

If he has a legimitate injury that's one thing. But he needs to suck it up and play ball otherwise.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< If he has a legimitate injury that's one thing. But he needs to suck it up and play ball otherwise. >>

If he has a legitimate injury, why didn't Nelson get him any rest? Even when Finley was out. Didn't we lose the #1 seed a week or two before the season ended?

Once the Spurs took the lead from us, and Nash is seriously hurt, then Nelson shouldn't have played him so many minutes at the end of the season.

I know it's cool that we'll have home court against the Kings for the 2nd round, but I'm thinking a rested Nash might be more important.

Nelson doesn't hesitate to monitor Finley's minutes, where's the same thinking with Nash? Especially since NVE has played well for the most part.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nash isn't moving like he's injured
Murphy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:47 AM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

He's not injured....he's slumping. And he needs to get over it quickly.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that's injured is his pride. Wait, check that. He apparently has no pride.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:02 PM   #21
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The NBA's Mr. May

I thought we got rid of him??
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 12:03 PM   #22
Stitch Jones

Stitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the roughStitch Jones is a jewel in the rough

Nothing about the way Nash is moving suggests that he's either tired or hurt. His shot just isn't falling, which happens to the best of them. Because of that, he looks hesitant, which also happens to the best of them. Now he just needs to suck it up emotionally and take his shots - that means forcing the issue and getting to the hole or getting to the line - stop settling for the jumpers.

"Did you know that Shaq makes $20 million this season ... and another $60 million over the next three? Every Miami fan just threw up on their creepy all-white T-shirt. "
~ Simmons
Stitch Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 02:13 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

He needs to take more running layups high off the glass because that's the only thing falling for him right now.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:15 PM   #24
LRB
Guru

If only Nash had played for the JailBlazers last night we would have won the game.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #25
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

First off why wasn't his hip hurting him in game two when he went for 29 and was unbelievable. Two doesn't it seem like we always make excuses for this guy. Oh he's tired that's why bibby torched him in the playoffs, oh my hip hurts why he goes 3-15 the last two games. If he keeps fading like this maybe its worth a trade.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #26
LRB
Guru

<< If he keeps fading like this maybe its worth a trade. >>

I'm beginning to become a believer of this philosphy. If Nash doesn't come around and finish the playoffs strong, then I say we shop his ass and see what we can get. I'm not saying just trade him for any old dried up dog turd, but let's see what we can get. A sign and trade for a Magette maybe?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:40 PM   #27
BrianJ

BrianJ is on a distinguished road

<< First off why wasn't his hip hurting him in game two when he went for 29 and was unbelievable. Two doesn't it seem like we always make excuses for this guy. Oh he's tired that's why bibby torched him in the playoffs, oh my hip hurts why he goes 3-15 the last two games. If he keeps fading like this maybe its worth a trade. >>

I agree people do make excuses for him. That kind of thing usually happens to players who don't do it for themselves aka Kobe and Shaq. Guys like Dirk, Nash, or Eddie are going to play whether or not they should.So yeah when players like these go through serious dryspells we make excuses for them. Lets not jump the gun yet ok Trader Bob.
BrianJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 03:41 PM   #28
LRB
Guru

<<

<< First off why wasn't his hip hurting him in game two when he went for 29 and was unbelievable. Two doesn't it seem like we always make excuses for this guy. Oh he's tired that's why bibby torched him in the playoffs, oh my hip hurts why he goes 3-15 the last two games. If he keeps fading like this maybe its worth a trade. >>

I agree people do make excuses for him. That kind of thing usually happens to players who don't do it for themselves aka Kobe and Shaq. Guys like Dirk, Nash, or Eddie are going to play whether or not they should.So yeah when players like these go through serious dryspells we make excuses for them. Lets not jump the gun yet ok Trader Bob.
>>

Brian 2 playoff collapses in 2 years in hardly jumping the gun. Yeah all players have dry spells, but if Nash is going to consistently have them every year in the playoffs we need to trade his ass.