Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-29-2002, 05:41 AM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Guarded optimism: Van Exel glad to be back
Once expecting a trade, Mavs guard happy to return in backup role
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/top...ede.92083.html
By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

By mid-summer, rumor had it that Nick Van Exel would be lucky to return to Dallas this season. Rumors linked his name to any trade that the Mavericks would pull off. Rumors had him shipped to New York time and time again.

Rumors even followed the Mavericks guard across the country, and the whispers turned into genuine fears.

"I was really afraid we would trade him," Steve Nash said. "I don't want that to happen because I think he's a valuable part of this team."
Fact is, Van Exel's back in Dallas, still wondering a little about the rumors but eager to dispel some others. The truth is, he's so embracing his backup role in relief of Nash, that he's begun his campaign for one individual postseason award:

"That's definitely a goal, Sixth Man of the Year," Van Exel said.

There's no friction between the Mavericks' two point guards, who paired so well by the end of last season that they often played together late in games.

The possibility of such a small backcourt (Nash is 6-3, Van Exel 6-1) raises definite questions, particularly with the Mavericks' new focus on defense, but the explosive offensive capabilities of Nash and Van Exel are still enticing.

Van Exel had a slow start after moving to Dallas as the No. 2 point guard in a February trade, but by the final 13 games of the season, he averaged 17.3 points on 45 percent shooting.

And the combustible Van Exel that demanded a trade from Denver last season has yet to emerge in Dallas – despite the swirl of rumors that led to an uneasy summer.

He's had to use the pinch-me method to accept that he's back in Dallas for training camp. At the end of last season, Van Exel said he knew he might be used as trade bait for a Mavericks team that desperately needed low-post help and said, "basically, I'll believe it when I see it [back in Dallas]."

And even just a couple weeks ago, when Van Exel addressed reporters after a charity game in New York, he admitted he was still uneasy – and had accepted a possible destination."I definitely told [Mark Cuban] that I wouldn't mind playing for New York if Dallas was interested in moving me," he said. "Face it, Dallas probably needs some help inside. I could be tradable. ... I wish [I could play in New York], but I don't know. It doesn't look too good right now. I've been thinking about it a lot this summer, just the opportunity to play here, and I get real excited."

But Van Exel stressed Wednesday that those comments shouldn't be identified as a yearning to play anywhere but Dallas.

"I didn't know," he said. "But I was just hearing all the rumors. I just said I wouldn't mind going to New York if that trade would happen."

Cuban has stressed repeatedly that he has no intentions of trading Van Exel, but the guard also understands the value of promises in the NBA.

"Nick knows this is the NBA. This is a business," close friend Avery Johnson said. "Even Michael Jordan had to go play for another franchise."

So for now, Van Exel is ignoring rumors and focusing on the fact that he's in Dallas, again. He's eager to start the season with the Mavericks and ready to begin his Sixth Man of the Year campaign.

"I get a chance to learn more about these guys with a full training camp," Van Exel said. "I'm glad to be here."
__________________________________________________ ______________________
http://www.canoe.ca/TorontoSports/ts.ts-10-29-0140.html

DALLAS MAVERICKS

LAST SEASON: 57-25, eliminated 4-1 by Sacramento in second round.

COACH: Don Nelson, sixth season with Mavs, 185-177, 25th season overall, ADDED: F Popeye Jones (free agent, Wizards), F Walt Williams (free agent, Rockets), G Raja Bell (free agent, 76ers).

LOST: C Wang Zhi-Zhi (free agent, L.A. Clippers), G Greg Buckner (free agent, Memphis), F Johnny Newman (free agent), F Danny Manning (free agent).

STRENGTHS: The highest-scoring team in the league last season, it again will seek to outrun and outscore opponents behind the leadership of Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley. Will have Raef LaFrentz and Nick Van Exel around from the start of training camp after acquiring them in Denver's fire sale in February.

WEAKNESSES: Added Jones to address a need for some bulk along the frontline, but another big body may be needed to match up with teams such as the Lakers, Spurs or Kings in the playoffs. Van Exel will come off the bench, a role that may not be the best for him. Finley was shopped over the summer.

WHAT THEY'LL DO: Team most likely to make adjustments before the Feb. 20 trading deadline.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...rankings_x.htm
4. Dallas Mavericks (West): The additions of Popeye Jones and Walt Williams to come off the bench with Nick Van Exel make them a tough matchup for any team no matter whom they put on the floor. They have perhaps the best threesome in the league in point guard Steve Nash, shooting guard Michael Finley and power forward Dirk Nowitzki.
First round
Lakers (1) def. Clippers (8)
Blazers (5) def. Mavericks (4)
Kings (3) def. T'wolves (6)
Spurs (2) def. Rockets (7)
http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/nug...508948,00.html
2. Dallas Mavericks

• Last season: 57-25, fourth in West; lost to Kings in Western semifinals.

• Coach: Don Nelson (26th season, 1,036-806).

• Added: F Popeye Jones (free agent, Wizards); F Walt Williams (free agent, Rockets); G Raja Bell (free agent, 76ers); G Adam Harrington (free agent, Auburn).

• Lost: G Greg Buckner (free agent, 76ers); C Wang Zhi-Zhi (free agent, Clippers); F Danny Manning (free agent); G-F Johnny Newman (free agent).

• Strengths: Shooters, shooters and more shooters; point-guard depth with Steve Nash and Nick Van Exel; transition game; all-around offensive skills of F Dirk Nowitzki; depth.

• Weaknesses: Lack of inside toughness; porous defense.

• Key question: Can anybody here play defense?

• How far they'll get: The combination of mediocre defense and the inability to match up against Tim Duncan or Shaquille O'Neal means the entertaining and high-scoring Mavericks get to the Western semifinals but no further.
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/v...ntentId=728034
COACH: Don Nelson (sixth season, 1,017-775 overall)

LAST SEASON: 57-25, second in Midwest Division, lost to Sacramento in conference semifinals

ARRIVALS: F Popeye Jones (free agent), G-F Raja Bell (free agent), G-F Walt Williams (free agent)

DEPARTURES: G Greg Bucker, C Wang Zhizhi

SLAM DUNKS: The Mavericks return the best offense in the NBA. In addition to multiple weapons, they set a record last season for fewest turnovers per game at 12.1. ... F Dirk Nowitzki (23.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg) is a top-10 talent who has become impossible to guard. Both G Michael Finley (20.6, 5.2) and G Steve Nash (17.9, 7.7 apg) have been All-Stars and give the Mavs the best scoring trio in the league. The core has been together for some time now and should be able to get to the next level. ... Last season's trade that brought F Raef LaFrentz (13.5, 7.4 rpg, 2.7 bpg) and G Nick Van Exel (18.4, 6.6 apg) from Denver means Dallas can sport a lineup with five true options. Who does the opponent double-team? ... Owner Mark Cuban overpays and pampers his players, making sure everyone is happy. You never hear anyone say a bad word about this organization anymore.

AIRBALLS: Dallas was 28th in defense last season, and although it took steps to improve, there is still a long ways to go. C Shawn Bradley is healthy, defensive-minded F Eduardo Najera (6.5, 5.5 rpg) and G-F Adrian Griffin (7.2, 3.9) return and Jones (7.0, 7.3) was added to provide interior bulk. But are these guys going to be on the floor at the end of the game? There has to be a complete change of mind-set about defense. ... Van Exel was willing to come off the bench last season because he was happy to get out of Denver. Let's see if the honeymoon lasted over the summer. Ditto Williams, who grumbled about playing time when he was part of a talented Portland rotation. ... All of Cuban's millions couldn't bring in a big body that might at least stand in Shaquille O'Neal's way. Instead of looking at Rashard Lewis this summer, they should have gone after 7-foot wide body Jerome James, his Seattle teammate.

MONEY MATTERS: The Mavs are so far over the luxury tax it's not even funny. With LaFrentz's signing this summer, they have four players making eight figures per season. Cuban has operated his team irrespective of the tax, but let's see if that changes when he has to write a $30 million check to the league next summer.

THE COACH SAYS: "Talks is real cheap as far as believing goes. You have to beat the team to gain confidence. I don't really think too much about that, beating teams that are better than us. I think you have to do it during the regular season, you've got to do it consistently and once you do that, the guys feel themselves that they can do the job."

OUTLOOK: The Mavs could win the Midwest Division because they are better built for 82 games than are the Spurs. This is a great group with a nice owner, good coaching, an international flavor and a fun system. Few of those assets help at playoff time, however. Dallas has to make a commitment to team defense if it wants to play in the conference finals. Otherwise, they're just another flashy team unwilling to grit its teeth.

Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links