Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #441
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
He makes decent passes and cuts to the basket (good basketball IQ). Also is at least not going to get you pounded down low as he can hold his ground.

He makes sense for the right contract and certainly not someone I'd easily dismiss because of a meh finals.
Splitter is a walking blooper reel. Even before the finals. He only looked decent cause of Duncan bailing him out most of the time. Give me Elton Brand coming back or taking the chance on Greg Oden. Let Sarge start during the season if that's the case.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #442
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I know we need a point guard but any chance the Mavs go after Tyreke Evans?
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #443
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by He15man View Post
I know we need a point guard but any chance the Mavs go after Tyreke Evans?
Nope, Cuban has made it clear he hates the RFA process
Old 06-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #444
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
He makes decent passes and cuts to the basket (good basketball IQ). Also is at least not going to get you pounded down low as he can hold his ground.

He makes sense for the right contract and certainly not someone I'd easily dismiss because of a meh finals.
He's also extremely underrated on defense, his pick n roll defense is terrific, but no chance SA lets him walk
Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #445
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
He's also extremely underrated on defense, his pick n roll defense is terrific, but no chance SA lets him walk
San Antonio is going to let him walk. I would take DeJuan Blair though. The guy is a bruiser inside and not scared to face contact.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #446
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mention Blair, me and my buddy kept wondering why splitter was out there confused during the finals, while Blair got zero minutes knowing he can bangarang down low.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #447
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I pay for Ellis is if involves Dwight coming to Dallas.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #448
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Funny you mention Blair, me and my buddy kept wondering why splitter was out there confused during the finals, while Blair got zero minutes knowing he can bangarang down low.
Blair is tough ready to work it down low and Pop didn't notice. I'd take him as a backup PF. Just an idea.

Also, Splitter is the next Shawn Bradley of centers. He's so awkward. It was clearly exposed in the main championship games. Sure he could help compete in regular season games. But you see what happens when fighting for a championship does. At least Cardinal knew how to take charges and shoot 3's during our nice championship run.

Last edited by yahyes; 06-24-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #449
mavs777
Diamond Member

Because Blair has absolutley no defensive awareness and Splitter is terrific on defense
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #450
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Blair is tough ready to work it down low and Pop didn't notice. I'd take him as a backup PF. Just an idea.
He's dreadful on defense, no thanks. I'd rather have brandan wright return
Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #451
yahyes
Banned

Okay... well give me Andray Blatche or Elton Brand if you're talking about defense at PF or small ball. Blair is still a kid though for Carlisle to yell at molding.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #452
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

and you guys complain about my posts yet yahyes is given free reign to spout the virtues of Blatche's and Brand's defensive prowess. lol
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #453
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

guys no more pipe dream(CP3 and Howard will re-sign with LA's teams and Lebron/'Melo will not sign with us),i think that Ellis+Bynum could be a good combo.

of course those moves have risks but the alternative is another 50% season...please no.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #454
yahyes
Banned

http://youtu.be/oR3oAVxPCJQ

Hm.. Chris didn't sound too enthusiastic there.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 PM   #455
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks more like a "yeah i know everything that's going on and no i dont want to share anything with you"
Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #456
yahyes
Banned

Alright. I think it's almost time to go for Ellis and D12 here. Might need to add Monta on the free agent watch.

Last edited by yahyes; 06-25-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #457
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Alright. I think it's almost time to go for Ellis and D12 here. Might need to add Monta on the free agent watch.
Dwight's not coming to Dallas. It's not almost time to go for him. It's well past time to realize that ship has sailed.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #458
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Dwight's not coming to Dallas. It's not almost time to go for him. It's well past time to realize that ship has sailed.
I still think it's game on July 1st. There's yet to be verbal commitments from either guy. Just all of us expecting the worst. Which I'm prepared for, but still want to see when Cuban talks to them.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #459
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I still think it's game on July 1st. There's yet to be verbal commitments from either guy. Just all of us expecting the worst. Which I'm prepared for, but still want to see when Cuban talks to them.
I think he's got shark tank that week

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #460
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
I think he's got shark tank that week
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...shark-tank.ece

Nope.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #461
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm being sarcastic

Quote:
Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #462
mavs777
Diamond Member

One thing Mavs fans have to realize is it is very hard to build a contender this year. Even if they get Dwight they can't afford anyone else significant, this is why in my view these 2 next offseasons should be viewed as one, I expect Dirk to take a near duncan like deal next year which should give them about 10 mill more in cap and marion comes off the books and if they don't deal him I'd like for them to resign him at about 5 million per. They should only let marion walk if he is difference between getting a max player or not. But they can build good complementary pieces around dwight (if he comes)/dirk like Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bogut, Marcin Gortat ect...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #463
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
One thing Mavs fans have to realize is it is very hard to build a contender this year. Even if they get Dwight they can't afford anyone else significant, this is why in my view these 2 next offseasons should be viewed as one, I expect Dirk to take a near duncan like deal next year which should give them about 10 mill more in cap and marion comes off the books and if they don't deal him I'd like for them to resign him at about 5 million per. They should only let marion walk if he is difference between getting a max player or not. But they can build good complementary pieces around dwight (if he comes)/dirk like Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bogut, Marcin Gortat ect...
Yep...

Quote:
"We want to be a championship team. We've never said we have to be a championship team this year" --Mark Cuban

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #464
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One thing Mavs fans have to realize is it is very hard to build a contender this year.
Well, had they started it at the end of 2011, then it wouldn't have been. Oh wait, they did start after 2011. This is Year 3.

Last edited by Bayliss; 06-27-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #465
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing Mavs fans have to realize is that the Mavs had no choice other than to go through this rebuilding process. There were no other options
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #466
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Well, had they started it at the end of 2011, then it wouldn't have been. Oh wait, they did start after 2011. This is Year 3.
Ugh, that bullshit again?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #467
Melonhead
Guru

Anyone see the fresh article on Dwight?

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=9427945

We need all hands on deck to make this happen. Dirk and co need to reach out to him if they really want him. That's how insecure players work these days.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #468
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
One thing Mavs fans have to realize is that the Mavs had no choice other than to go through this rebuilding process. There were no other options
What, you mean re-signing the second-oldest team to ever win a championship to a bunch of 3-4 year contracts isn't a smart business move? There are many unqualified armchair GMs around here who would disagree with you.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #469
Underdog

For the lazy people...

Quote:
Dwight Howard to sign elsewhere?

link

There is very little chance of Dwight Howard re-signing with the Los Angeles Lakers this summer, according to sources close to the situation.

Howard is willing to forgo the extra $30 million the Lakers can pay him to play for a coach and in a system he feels will better use his skill set, one source said.

The Lakers can offer Howard a five-year, $118 million contract, while other teams can pay him only $88 million over four years.

Howard plans to meet with Dallas, Houston and Atlanta before meeting with the Lakers once teams are allowed to contact free agents beginning July 1, a source said. It appears that the teams will visit Howard in Los Angeles.

Howard is notoriously indecisive, so the Lakers, while apparently major underdogs, should not be completely eliminated from contention. Before the 2011-12 season, he repeatedly asked the Orlando Magic to trade him, and then at midseason he opted in to the final year of his contract to remain in Orlando.

Howard's major problem with the Lakers is the system that coach Mike D'Antoni employs. Beyond that, he did not enjoy playing with Kobe Bryant, though he could manage to do so in a different system, a source said. Howard also does not want to be second fiddle to Bryant for several more seasons.

While many believe Houston is the Lakers' stiffest competition, sources say Howard finds Dallas just as appealing, if not more. Assuming the Mavericks are able to clear enough cap space to offer him a maximum-salaried contract, Howard is strongly considering joining Dallas. The Mavericks are trying to shed Shawn Marion's $9 million expiring contract to create the room to sign Howard, according to sources.

Howard likes the idea of being the top superstar of a franchise and with Dirk Nowitzki aging, Dallas would be viewed as Howard's team. Howard also believes the Mavericks can build a championship roster around him with the ample cap space they will have in the summer of 2014.

Some close to Howard believe signing with Houston is his best option. Howard has been in contact with Rockets players James Harden and Chandler Parsons, both of whom are heavily recruiting him.

Howard, however, has concerns about the Rockets' style of play, sources say. While he likes the idea of playing for coach Kevin McHale, he sees that they play an up-tempo, perimeter-oriented style that does not feature post play.

To get Howard, the Rockets will have to convince him that they will play a style more conducive to his skills.

Atlanta, Howard's hometown, is a long shot. As ESPN.com reported two weeks ago, Howard was willing to go to Atlanta with Clippers free agent Chris Paul. But the recent signing of Doc Rivers as the Clippers' head coach has assured that Paul will remain in Los Angeles.

Howard would love to do a sign-and-trade deal that would allow him to play with Paul and the Clippers, but neither he nor the Clippers believe the Lakers will agree to such a move, sources said.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #470
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What, you mean re-signing the second-oldest team to ever win a championship to a bunch of 3-4 year contracts isn't a smart business move? There are many unqualified armchair GMs around here who would disagree with you.
Yes cause Barea and Chandler are old guys. Dirk is still here as is Marion. So who's the old guys we shouldn't have re-signed?
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #471
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

And how's the rebuild gone so far? We've had two years of it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #472
Underdog

Quote:
Yes cause Barea and Chandler are old guys. Dirk is still here as is Marion. So who's the old guys we shouldn't have re-signed?
Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic, DeSean Stevenson - you know, all those 30+ guys who helped us win a ring.

Barea got overpaid, and while Chandler has definitely proven that he's worth his contract, he's not a franchise player, which is what Mark Cuban wanted for that kind of money.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #473
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
The only player that should have been resigned was tyson, that is the only mistake imo. But if they get dwight the gamble payed off long term
Old 06-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #474
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Peja Stojakovic, DeSean Stevenson - you know, all those 30+ guys who helped us win a ring.

Barea got overpaid, and while Chandler has definitely proven that he's worth his contract, he's not a franchise player, which is what Mark Cuban wanted for that kind of money.
Kidd, Terry were still under contract. It was obvious Peja was retiring. DeSean was a spare part and wasn't going to get any money.
Give me Barea at 4 mil a year right now.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #475
Underdog

Quote:
Kidd, Terry were still under contract. It was obvious Peja was retiring. DeSean was a spare part and wasn't going to get any money.
Kidd and Terry only had 1 year left on their contracts.

But point made - you're smarter than Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson. I can't wait to see all the brilliant moves you're going to pull off this summer to make your team better... I hear that Barea is on the block, so a ring could easily be one step closer to your finger. Just don't hang out with that Putin character after you win it - I'd hate to see you be wrong for the first time in your life the same way that Robert Kraft was.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-27-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #476
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention that they could have had Brewer's energy as well replacing some of that oldness.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #477
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Seriously has to be one of the worst articles by CB. So he wants to leave LA for the same situation in Dallas?
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #478
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree with the general sentiment here. The pro-breakup camp has been reducing this argument to only two alternatives (which is a pretty common tactic when you're on the wrong side of an argument). The Mavs would likely kept Brewer and/or been able to bring in guys like Carter, Brand, and Collison through less drastic moves. Wright would have presumably continued to develop. Alternatively, we could have been a lot more appealing to Deron Williams had Chandler and one or two of those other parts been here.

Whether the gamble ever pays off comes down to how you balance whether losing the chance of contending for 2 of the final years of Nowitzki's prime was worth the chance of (2 years later) signing a declining Dwight Howard coming off injuries. Note that this is only as to whether the gamble pays off, not as to whether the gamble was a good idea (for which you have to include the chances of getting Williams and Paul as well)

Quote:

Last edited by nowhereman; 06-27-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: subject-verb agreement
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #479
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownKidd View Post
Seriously has to be one of the worst articles by CB. So he wants to leave LA for the same situation in Dallas?
The point is that he wants to be a featured player on offense, or at least wants to play in a system that's conducive to his style of play. I think the pairing with Nowitzki is only natural.

The times the Lakers went Gasol/Howard high-low last year, they were extremely effective. They really suffered in the pick and roll game (which makes it curious as to why Howard wants to play with Paul so badly) and the Kobe-isolation game. The Harden isolation and the Lin/Harden pick and roll game are staples of the Rockets game, while the Mavericks have had a lot of success working inside out and moving the ball around the perimeter (a la the Spurs this year).

Quote:
Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #480
mavs777
Diamond Member

nm

Last edited by mavs777; 06-27-2013 at 10:34 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote