Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default KG's new three-team AI scenario

I've been vocal about the Mavs going after Iverson, but now there's talk that Denver could be the frontrunner:

Denver trying to seal a deal for A.I.
Source: Nuggets "in driver's seat"

By Mark Kiszla and Marc J. Spears

link

As the front-runner to acquire Allen Iverson from the Philadelphia 76ers, the Nuggets are pushing hard to complete a trade for the 31-year-old point guard as early as today.

According to league sources, the Nuggets are leading the race for Iverson by working aggressively to meet the demands of Philadelphia, which seeks the salary-cap flexibility provided by expiring contracts of veteran players and the draft picks required to rebuild its roster.

With two first-round picks in the 2007 draft, the Nuggets have positioned themselves in "the driver's seat" and are "leading the pack" against league rivals also looking to acquire Iverson, according to a source familiar with negotiations.

It's a complicated trade, however, that would involve at least five players, three teams and two draft choices, plus the approval of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Sixers chairman Ed Snider.

From all indications, Philadelphia is more concerned with financial freedom than the raw ability of the players it receives in return for Iverson and his $17.1 million salary.

Key to completing the deal is Denver's ability to persuade a third team to get involved in the trade, with the Nuggets working on at least two fronts Thursday, holding discussions with Dallas and Portland.

For Philadelphia's purposes, the most desirable trade bait on Denver's roster is Joe Smith, not for his 5.6 scoring average, but because the veteran big man is earning $6.8 million in the final year of his contract.

With the exception of Smith and two draft picks, however, Denver's end of the deal remains fluid, and could include forward Eduardo Najera, according to an NBA source.

To satisfy the 76ers' desire for as many expiring contracts as possible, league sources said Denver has held trade talks with Dallas regarding forward Austin Croshere ($7.3 million salary) and Portland for Jamaal Magloire ($8.4 million), both role players in the final year of what would be considered bad contracts except in this situation.

Frustrated by earlier attempts to pry Magloire from Portland by offering Nene, the Nuggets have heard from other less-than-benevolent potential trade partners, including Chicago. The Bulls, however, had their sights set on center Marcus Camby, whom Denver has no interest in moving.

The hefty financial weight of Nene's new, long-term contract has diminished chances he will be included in the trade.

With the seventh-best record in the Western Conference this season and not so much as a single playoff series won since 1994, Denver is willing to take a chance on Iverson's history of off-court drama to obtain his 28.1 career scoring average and a fierce competitiveness that makes the skinny guard the most intimidating player on the court.

"He's unstoppable," Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony said of Iverson, currently the top vote-getter among Eastern Conference guards in balloting for the NBA All-Star Game. "That pretty much explains what he can do on the court."

Although guard J.R. Smith's name has been floated in discussions, the Nuggets hope to retain him, sources indicated, because this deal will depend more on the fine print of contracts than talent.

Other reported suitors for Iverson include the Los Angeles Clippers, Minnesota, Boston and Miami. Although Philadelphia has indicated interest in getting a deal done quickly, if the Sixers decide to wait, the list of competitors against Denver could grow. That's why the Nuggets are in a hurry to end the competition.

I fiddled around with it a bit, and came up with this:

Dallas trades: Croshere, A. Johnson, M. Ager
Dallas receives: A. Miller, E. Najera

Denver trades: A. Miller, E. Najera, J. Smith, No. 1 pick
Denver receives: Iverson, A. Johnson

Philadelphia trades: Iverson
Philadelphia receives: Croshere, J. Smith, M. Ager

Denver gets Iverson.

Philly gets a No. 1 pick and a ton of payroll savings to couple with their own high No. 1 pick to jumpstart their rebuilding process.

Dallas gets a very good point guard to run the offense. A three guard rotation of Miller/Terry/Harris would be devastating.

Dallas lineup after trade:

Dampier - Diop - M'Benga
Nowitzki - Najera
Howard - George
Terry - Stackhouse - Buckner
Miller - Harris

Dallas rotation after trade:

Dampier 30 - Diop 18
Nowitzki 36 - Najera/George 12
Howard 35 - Stackhouse 13
Terry 32 - Harris 16
Miller 32 - Harris 16

Now that, I could get on board with!

Last edited by kg_veteran; 12-15-2006 at 12:00 PM.
kg_veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If we're going to trade a valuable expiring contract and a young prospect, I'd much rather just go get Iverson, not facilitate another team in the West getting him.

I love Andre Miller, but I just don't see the value unless you're going to move one of your three PG's. I don't like Terry playing the majority of his minutes at SG, it just hasn't worked so far this year.

And I undestand, KG, that you are simply working from the perspective that Dallas has shown no interest in AI. I think your first choice would be to get AI as well. Just wanted to point out if we're going to give up a package involving Croshere and Ager, we might as well just throw in Stack and go get AI himself, IMO.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-15-2006 at 12:07 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
WurzburgBorn

WurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to allWurzburgBorn is a name known to all

I dig it.
WurzburgBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

this trade just made me wet myself from the possibilities.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
If we're going to trade a valuable expiring contract and a young prospect, I'd much rather just go get Iverson, not facilitate another team in the West getting him.

I love Andre Miller, but I just don't see the value unless you're going to move one of your three PG's. I don't like Terry playing the majority of his minutes at SG, it just hasn't worked so far this year.

And I undestand, KG, that you are simply working from the perspective that Dallas has shown no interest in AI. I think your first choice would be to get AI as well. Just wanted to point out if we're going to give up a package involving Croshere and Ager, we might as well just throw in Stack and go get AI himself, IMO.
I agree... there's no point in helping Nuggets land AI. They're gonna' end up with Camby/Nene/Melo/JR/AI. That'd be the deadliest 5some in the league instantly.

As it appears Philly are now resigned to go for just expiring contracts anyway, we might as well throw in Stack and a #1 pick alongwith Cro & Ager, to land AI ourselves.

I just can't understand the obstinacy from the MBT. When we have the most to offer (expiring contracts, et al) and we have the most to gain (significantly increased odds to win a title or two!), what's the problem?!

Who cares what AI said 3-4 years ago about practice when his coaches & fellow players are raving 'bout his top-10 talent & never-say-die attitude. We may never get a golden opportunity such as this to add a second superstar to our roster! Please Mark... please make it happen, NOW!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Now, let me add this caveat:

In a vacuum, when the fact that you could just trade for Iverson, and the fact that you're helping another team get Iverson are not considered, aquiring Andre Miller and Najera for that package would be a flat out STEAL! I mean a STEAL.

So in that regard, it's an incredible deal for talent aquisition. I'm just not sure what we'd do with three PG's of that quality, and I'd much rather just trade for Iverson.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 12-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Camby/Nene/Melo/JR/AI. That'd be the deadliest 5some in the league instantly.
seriously? you think
It'd be okay, but I wouldn't be scared

Last edited by Just211; 12-15-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Just211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first AI trade I've seen presented on a Mavs board that I like. Denver would have a pretty devastating starting lineup, but Nuggets fans would have to worry about AI taking the ball from Melo's hands the same way Mavs fans worry about AI taking the ball from Dirk. I think they'd still lack depth to challenge the mavs and spurs, and you gotta gamble that the George Karl team killing meltdown would come before they shore up the depth chart.

As a mavs fan, this is beautiful for our team.
I would think that Denver would know this, too, and would rather swing something with Portland (as mentioned at Yahoo) than to make Dallas better.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I dunno I think Denver would be pretty bad ass with that lineup... if Nene played like a $60 contract player. And if Kmarts contract magically disappeared.

Truthfully, i'm surprised the Nuggets lineup looks as good as it does considering those two blunders, and im even more surprised they would be in title contention while maintaining both of those contracts. That would be a pretty good offensive trio there on top of an awesome defensive center and a fairly young big, with Kmart as the sixth.

But Miller and Najera for Croshere, Johnson, and Ager? I could live with that, Miller is ten times better than Johnson and I don't think Eddy could do any worse than Croshere.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

potentially the best aspect of this trade would be the return of Chiwas and of Murphy's allconsuming negativity.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do the trade but because it upgrades the Mavs.

But it REALLY upgrades Denver too. They would be right up with Phoenix, SA and us afterwards.

And that makes me the most angry with the AI situation. If Denver, LAC, or LAL get AI then they upgrade to a championship contender - a secondary reason we should do the trade is to prevent that from happening. Just like the Nash situation - if we had signed him then Phoenix wouldn't be a top tier team. If we didn't want to KEEP Nash then we could have traded him out East.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
seriously? you think
It'd be okay, but I wouldn't be scared
Well, which other starting 5 would you place ahead of that lineup?
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
potentially the best aspect of this trade would be the return of Chiwas and of Murphy's allconsuming negativity.
no kidding.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange
this trade just made me wet myself from the possibilities.
Me too. Holy crap!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I wonder what happened to chiwas?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

***ATTENTION PLEASE*****

This is the first thread in this forums history to not suck. kg_veteran is awarded 500 points for greatness.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #17
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I wonder what happened to chiwas?
I'm sure he's helping a bunch of nuggets fans practice spanish at Denver-Nugz.com or somesuch place.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
***ATTENTION PLEASE*****

This is the first thread in this forums history to not suck. kg_veteran is awarded 500 points for greatness.
He didn't originally post it in this section though. Does it still count?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
This trade forum needs all the help it can get so we can overlook the technicality.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

If we bring edjuardo back, does that mean the free chalupas return to aac

I would love love to see those accident & injury commercials again as well

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
In defense of my greatness, actually, yeah I did.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #22
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
If we bring edjuardo back, does that mean the free chalupas return to aac

I would love love to see those accident & injury commercials again as well
lol.. this thread is approaching greatness.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #23
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Nice Job KG, this is a very good trade for the Mavs...

I like adding Miller to the mix and Najera is an upgrade on Croshere...
Old 12-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
In defense of my greatness, actually, yeah I did.
Hmmm. I could have sworn it started in the General Section.......ah well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 12-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I like it too. The only question is whether we could live without Cro's deadly three-point shooting touch.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #26
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

No. Croshere's involvement is indeed a deal-breaker.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #27
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

It sure looks like a nice trade, but wouldn't it cause tension over playing time between Miller, Terry, and Harris? I doubt anyone of those guys would be happy coming off the bench, and none of those guys can shift over to SF. Also, why would PHI want Josh Smith and Ager when they're already blessed with talented swingmen in Iguodala and 1st-round pick Rodney Carney? Isn't one of the reasons PHI wants to move Iverson is so Carney can move into the starting lineup? Also, does the deal work out in terms of salary-matching, ie. according to RealGM?

Last edited by atrewsfan; 12-16-2006 at 01:12 PM.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote