Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 09-02-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default Zach Randolph...hmm...

So, Randolph is a possible nutcase. So, Van Exel is a former nutcase. In a nutshell, here is a completely out of the blue trade that could send them to us. I know Portland would probably never go for it, and I know that picking up two crazies (present and former) probably isn't a fantastic idea but this forum has been kinda dead lately so what the hell:

Portland trades:
PF Zach Randolph (20.1 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
PG Nick Van Exel (12.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.3 apg in 32.2 minutes)

Portland receives:
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -6.2 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Dallas trades:
PF Alan Henderson (4.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 0.3 apg in 11.3 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)

Dallas receives:
PF Zach Randolph (20.1 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 81 games)
PG Nick Van Exel (12.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 5.3 apg in 39 games)
Change in team outlook: +6.2 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Portland does this to free up some cap space w/ Henderson's contract, they pick up a starting SG in Stack (Anderson's too oft-injured and not very effective anymore even when he's healthy) and another young, defensive-minded swingman in Josh Howard who won't mind coming off the bench to back up Stack and Patterson (or maybe even start at SF). They drop Van Exel's contract (which is expiring this year anyways I believe) and remove the glut at PG, making Stoudamire happy and also giving Telfair the opportunity to develop into his game. Ever since Portland adopted their mantra of "character over talent", Randolph has had a question mark over his head and I think that if we make an enticing enough offer, we might might be able to pick him up. Nash has been raving lately about Abdur-Rahim and he said in a recent interview that they've "hitched this team" to new re-signee Darius Miles. With Shareef at PF and Miles at SF, and Ratliff at C, that's a pretty good frontcourt, both in terms of talent and character. It all depends I guess on how this shooting incident plays out for Randolph and if he makes any effort to stop being a jackass.

Dallas does this to get back Nick the Quick, the much beloved hero of our run to the WCF. He changed his image in Dallas (to not crazy) and I think he would be happy to come back (so long as we made it clear that he is welcome). He would have to take a severe salary cut next year, but I don't think that would be a problem; the guy is in his 30s and probably just wants to settle down. He brings a couple of things back to Dallas with him - the locker room presence, and the swagger. The Mavs have a reputation of being too finesse, too nice, and with Van Exel on the court (even though he's a PG) we get a bit tougher. Also, I think we did him wrong trading him for Antawn Jamison (although I admit the trade was too good to pass up). We owe it to Nick to bring him back and let him retire here in Dallas.

This trade is a bit of Draino for the swingman positions. Getting rid of Josh hurts, but is a necessary evil and I think is definitely worth it considering we pick up a veteran PG who knows Nellie's system and an equally young and promising player in Zach. With both Josh and Stack gone, we have plenty of minutes for Finley and 'Quis (He's young, and good enough to play 30 min a game) to share at the SG position, and for them to share with Dirk at SF. Henderson has always been trade bait and getting rid of him simply has the benefit of freeing another roster spot.

And then the principle of the trade: Zach Randolph. This guy has got [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] (crazy) potential and is custom-built for the PF position. He's a bruiser, exactly what this team needs (imagine a front court of Dirk, Randolph, and Damp), they would be crashing the boards and blocking shots like nothing else. He's young, and although he might be crazy, I think being in Dallas will do for him what it did for Van Exel...make him not crazy. Under the Nelsons and Cuban (who is our own MFFL brand of crazy) I think Randolph could realize his full potential and become one of the most dominating forwards in the game. There is so much controversy in Portland right now over how much of a time-bomb this guy is so now is the time to strike and try and pick him up.

Technical info for salary-junkies:
I know that Van Exel, Jerry Stackhouse, and Alan Henderson were all traded less than 60 days ago so what we might have to do is either wait out the 60 days (which is easiest) or do 1 for 1 trades and throw in another player (like Dickau) for Randolph (but then you have the same 60 day problem and none of the other salaries match and Cuban is probably buying out Mr. Gonzaga anyways). Zach only makes something like 6 million bucks this season, which makes it difficult to match up salaries. Plus, we have to consider how much it would take to re-sign the guy (probably the max). Alot of things stand in the way of this thing happening...but wouldn't this be a kickass trade? We get our hands on a <u>real</u> PF and we can shift Dirk over to SF where's he's probably more comfortable (since he doesn't have to get roughed up as much). Yeah we pick up another PG but I think Van Exel is the exception to that.

A line-up of:

Damp/Booth/Bradley
Randolph/Booth
Dirk/Finley/'Quis
Finley/'Quis
Terry/Harris/Van Exel/Johnson

...and we drop a roster spot too.

Diz-amn.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #2
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Zach Randolph...hmm...

Randolph only makes 1.8 M this year
Old 09-02-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Wow. I didn't even think to check this but:

Portland trades: PF Zach Randolph (20.1 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 37.9 minutes)
Portland receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -11.5 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
Dallas receives: PF Zach Randolph (20.1 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 81 games)
Change in team outlook: +11.5 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Waddya know. Then we can make the Van Exel for Stackhouse, Henderson trade after their respective 60-day holds end.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Then we can make the Van Exel for Stackhouse, Henderson trade after their respective 60-day holds end.
I rather have Stackhouse.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
orangedays
Platinum Member

Old 09-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
orangedays
Platinum Member

That was easier than saying anything constructive! Thanks Erica!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it.....

You are adding a starting PF and a starting/6th man in NVE and removing a backup PF, and two very good swingmen.

There are not enough minutes for Damp, Zack, and Dirk, unless Dirk or Zack play the 5, and that is not the strength of either of them.

NVE just messes up the 2/3 rotation because now Terry has to play the 2 some, or NVE has to play the 2 some, or Harris has to play the 2 some --- and none of them are that tall.

Doesn't make sense for Dallas to do this one to me.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Randolph only makes 1.8 M this year
what a steal.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't do it. We might come out ahead on talent, but it creates more holes than it files. 1st of all we don't need NVE at all. If we shipped howard for Randolph, we definitely shouldn't make the follow up trade that would strip our 2/3 depth completely down to the starters and no backup. Also Dirk is a much better PF than Randolph. So I don't want Randolph just to play 10 minutes a game as Dirk's backup and insurance incase Dirk gets hurt if the cost is playing small ball as part of our regular rotation. The only other alternative is playing Dirk out of position at the 2 or 5 which I'm far from enamored with. The team with the most talent is not always the best team. Watch film of the NBA finals or the Olympic Men's basketball if you need examples. No way would I do the trade.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #11
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Zach Randolph...hmm...

Zach Randolph whines and bitches way too much...keep him the hell outta dallas
Old 09-03-2004, 07:00 PM   #12
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

Quote:

A line-up of:

Damp/Booth/Bradley
Randolph/Booth
Dirk/Finley/'Quis
Finley/'Quis
Terry/Harris/Van Exel/Johnson

...and we drop a roster spot too.

Dirk at the three? uhh...no. I like Randolph, but not at sacrificing dirk at the 4.

There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote