Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-19-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough
Default Yao Out Several Weeks

HOUSTON -- The Houston Rockets proved they couldn't win without Tracy McGrady. Now they will have to prove they can win without Yao Ming.

Yao Ming
Center
Houston Rockets

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
22 19.9 9.0 1.3 50.633 83.688

Yao is expected to miss several weeks after undergoing surgery Monday to clean an infection in his left big toe, the team said.

Rockets team physician Dr. Tom Clanton performed the surgery to clean out an infection in Yao's toe. Yao was diagnosed with osteomyelitis, which is common inflammation of the bone caused by bacteria.

Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis said the surgery was successful and that Yao will require antibiotics and rest for several weeks. He did not have a timetable for Yao's return.

Yao returned home from Los Angeles before the Rockets beat the Lakers 76-74 on Sunday night. He has had a problem with his left big toe for some time, missing two preseason games because it was bothering him.

Yao, the leading vote-getter after the first set of returns for this season's All-Star Game, is averaging 19.9 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.36 blocked shots.

The 25-year-old All-Star has played in 266 regular-season games since joining the Rockets in 2002. Sunday's game was just the third he's missed in his career.

Losing the 7-foot-6 giant is a blow for the Rockets (10-13), who recently got McGrady back after he missed eight games with a back injury. Houston went 0-8 without McGrady.

Yao isn't the only Houston big man who is hurting heading into Wednesday's game against Toronto.

Dikembe Mutombo started for Yao on Sunday, but left the game with a dislocated left finger with 4:51 left. His status for Wednesday's game was not immediately known, and the Rockets have no other centers on their roster.

SportsTicker and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Last edited by Captain Disaster; 12-19-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Sure hurts my fantasy team....again. I have both TMac and Yao. I now picked up Deke and dropped Marvin Williams in hopes that Deke will do what Alonzo did (also on my F team) in place of Shaq.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I don't think the Rockets can win without Yao... they'll probably do better compared to when they played without McGrady. Other teams would just crowd TMAC and make the scrubs make shots.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

this is great news for me as a rockets hater...

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
blahblehblah

blahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the roughblahblehblah is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

david aldridge was on tnt before the Mavs/Sac game and reported that Yao would be out ATLEAST 6 WEEKS! There goes my fantasy team... Unhappy
Needless to say the Rockets and there fans are probly more upset, since this pretty much means they wont be repeating last seasons success after a bad start. Heck they'll be lucky to contend for an 8th seed this year let alone the 5th seed.
blahblehblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

houston will miss the playoffs =D

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Got pasted at home by Toronto... a sign of things to come?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with really big guys and their toes?

I don't feel sorry for the Rockets, but it is a shame Yao will miss so much time. He's seems to be a pretty good guy.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
Got pasted at home by Toronto... a sign of things to come?
Toronto held T-Mac to 7 points on 11 shots so unless his back is flaring up again i doubt it's a sign of things to come.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Toronto held T-Mac to 7 points on 11 shots so unless his back is flaring up again i doubt it's a sign of things to come.
Is it the back? Or was Toronto converging on TMAC all the time and limited his touches? I would think that with Yao out, teams would just pay attention to TMAC with impunity... kinda like the situation he was in when he was in Orlando.

Last edited by TripleDipping; 12-23-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #11
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

...but he still put up big numbers in Orlando
Old 12-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

He did put up big numbers in Orlando and I have no doubt that he will do that in Houston too... but the outcome of the game has nothing to do with if he has a bad game or good game.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Houston is getting screwed every which way this season... and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 08:28 PM   #14
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I wouldn't blame T-mac too soon, since he's still having some problems with his back, I guess.

But Houston is done for the season and I love.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:19 PM   #15
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Hmmm we better hope they don't tank the season and get another high lottery pick
But I'm sorry for Yao I like him.
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:15 AM   #16
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
What is it with really big guys and their toes?

I don't feel sorry for the Rockets, but it is a shame Yao will miss so much time. He's seems to be a pretty good guy.

I'm the exact opposite. I feel sorry for the Rockets, but i can't stand Yao. Everytime i watch the Rockets play, he annoys me. He always feels the need to gloat and celebrate after some shots he should make all the time.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote