Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-26-2005, 06:06 AM   #1
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of
Default Steve Nash is just the nicest guy in this league.

Assists go beyond court
Suns star takes sincere interest when visiting ailing children

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 25, 2005 12:00 AM

The Suns were boarding the bus with the swiftness of a team that had just lost a playoff game in May, but there was one straggler.

Steve Nash, drained from scoring 35 of his 48 points in the second half, was smiling and talking with engaged interest in an American Airlines Center hall. A 9-year-old Dallas boy held his undivided attention for 15 minutes as Nash inquired about the boy's rare, aggressive form of bone cancer with the ease of a relative.

"Steve asked if he could see my incisions," said James Faulkinbury, the boy who was in the fourth quarter of 14 rounds of chemotherapy. "I was like, 'Whoa.' He kept saying, 'Whoa,' and he laughed at the one that looks like a football. advertisement

"I was surprised because none of the players stay that long. They just say hi and sign an autograph."

That ability to genuinely connect with an ailing child as well as an open shooter is Nash's gift that keeps giving. Nearly every player in the league will talk to sick children several times in their careers, but there may not be another who can assist them like Nash.

Nash has lost some young friends over the years, but Faulkinbury survived his life-threatening battle.

The ordeal began when his mother, Lisa, spotted a lump on James' ribs during a call to a nurse about possible appendicitis. It lasted one long year.

But as James defeated Ewing's sarcoma, his 15 minutes with Nash is as permanent as the photo of the two of them that is at the oncology office, chemotherapy lab, his nana's house, his refrigerator and your newspaper.

In a town that is nuts for the Mavericks, James has a poster on his wall that used to show Nash and Dirk Nowitzki together. He cut out Nowitzki.

"Getting to meet him gave me a lot more strength," said James, who received word Wednesday on another clear radiology scan after spending last year's holiday in the hospital for chemotherapy. "He took his time just to talk to me. He had to get to his plane and somebody got mad at him, but he just kept talking."

That is the essence of the most valuable person that Mavericks player relations manager Tiffany Farha saw in Nash's six seasons with Dallas.

No matter what importance a game held, Nash knew what it meant if Farha was with a child on the practice court's skywalk on a game day. Without her saying anything, he was by the child's side and down on one knee to talk to them.

"To have the gift to do it very well and have a profound impact is unique," Farha said. "When Steve is talking to you, around you or hugs you, you are the only person on the planet. His eyes don't waver from you. I don't know if there's another player in the league who does that. Not a lot of people have that gift."

Nash goes to that place where the children are comfortable. Farha remembers a child in a wheelchair who could not communicate but locked eyes with Nash. He sat down by the chair and just kept talking as if it was one of his friends.

"Did you see that game? Did you see that shot Dirk made? We had to work really hard and you're going to have to work really hard," Nash told the kid.

It is puzzling to Nash for sick children to ask for his time when their time may be fleeting. He does not believe he is any more adept at dealing with these delicate situations than the next player. Yet the feedback comes that Nash made a difference that no doctor could.

"I don't know why and maybe that's the point," Nash said. "I'm just trying to be friends with them for the few minutes we meet, try to understand what they're going through and just relate to them.

"It just makes you realize how lucky you are and how much you have to appreciate and enjoy every day. When you're not making shots and winning games, you have to realize life is pretty good."

Understanding
He was compassionate enough before becoming a father to twin girls a year ago. Now, his sympathy runs deeper in situations such as the September meeting he had with a Make-A-Wish Foundation girl in Vancouver, British Columbia, described by a representative as "incredible."

Nash met a terminally ill teenage girl. Again, a 15-minute appointment turned into 45 touching minutes. The girl's father was not allowed to attend by his boss but talked through tears to Nash on the phone about how there were no medical answers for his daughter.

"It's really difficult to put your head around," Nash said. "You have no idea what importance you could possibly have in someone's life who is fighting to survive. You just try to understand and care for them.

"We talked and shot some hoops. She told me about school. She says it in a way where she's not trying to break your heart, but she does, like, 'It's cool that sometimes people don't want to hang out with me.' "

But Nash does and will, even though he may some day hear about how she did not make it, like a few others he has met. Other than losing his two grandmothers in a month, Nash has endured no personal tragedy that can equate.

"I have to talk to Steve Nash," Farha would hear on a call. "I have to tell him how much he meant to my kid's life."

But the Faulkinburys can tell Nash about how James is well enough to walk around in the shoes Shawn Marion gave him that night and play basketball in his own shoes. Nash delights in the news of James' turnaround and laughs heartily about the edited poster in his room.

For a moment, James considers that May 15 conversation with Nash as the coolest thing that has happened in his life. But he reconsiders.

"Except for being cured from cancer," he said.

Link: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...snash1225.html

And please, don't post these "Nash can suck it" posts in this thread.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 12-26-2005 at 06:07 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Nash can suck it.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say he seems to me like a really nice guy.

With that said, he can suck it.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't he used to play with the Mavs?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Who?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:54 AM   #6
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I love Steve Nash.. he did what any of us did and followed the money and ended up having a great season last year, and an even better one so far this year. He's very charitable and generous with his time and money, and I think he deserves applause for it.

I'll never have anything bad to say about Steve Nash (outside of his lack of defensive prescense).
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:06 AM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
I love Steve Nash.. he did what any of us did and followed the money and ended up having a great season last year, and an even better one so far this year. He's very charitable and generous with his time and money, and I think he deserves applause for it.

I'll never have anything bad to say about Steve Nash (outside of his lack of defensive prescense).
I totally agree with this post. Nash is a great guy, a great player, and was a great Mav. I'll never have anything bad to say about him.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I totally agree with this post. Nash is a great guy, a great player, and was a great Mav. I'll never have anything bad to say about him.
Yeah, me neither.

Honestly though, when it comes down to it..... Nash can most certainly ingurgitate it.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:24 AM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Nuck Fash.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like Nash.

Last edited by chumdawg; 12-28-2005 at 12:43 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Be careful, Dirk Nowitzki. You're just one contract offer away from being reviled by your present "fans."
Chum, you know full well that Nash wasn't even close to being what you'd call a franchise player here in Dallas. Indeed, he wasn't even an all-star his last season here. If Dirk fails to have an all-star season, and then we get knocked out 4-1 in the first round, then you can start talking about Dirk walking and getting signed by the Lakers. Until then, don't compare Nash's situation last year with Dirk's current situation; they just aren't the same.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Be careful, Dirk Nowitzki. You're just one contract offer away from being reviled by your present "fans."
I doubt he cares, chum.

If Dirk left the same way cash left though, I'd have no problems telling him to suck it. But he'll get a max extension, which guarantees he won't leave in the same terms as Nash.

BTW, Nash? Suck it one time!
Old 12-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I like Nash better than chum....

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-28-2005 at 12:48 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like Nash.

Last edited by chumdawg; 12-28-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 AM   #15
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I like Nash also...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-28-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #16
chumdawg
Guru

I like Nash.

Last edited by chumdawg; 12-28-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I really do like Nash, despite what some think...

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-28-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #18
chumdawg
Guru

Apologies to all for any abrasive comments I may have made. I knew I shouldn't have posted in this thread. I thought the subject matter deserved some respect, which is why I at first kept out, but in retrospect it was probably posted at least in part to stir up some of this sort of controversy.

Last edited by chumdawg; 12-28-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Despite chum's blazing abrasive comments I must say that Nash is still really nice. And I like him.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 12-28-2005 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I really wish I could have seen this thread before the edits.

Oh yeah....Nash can go blow a monkey and suck it all night long.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 AM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
I really wish I could have seen this thread before the edits.
Me too. Sounds like it was fun.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #22
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

He is nice and gone so I don't care anymore though I haven't done it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #23
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Just to clear things up, I like Nash as a player and I think he's a nice person, but I'm really mad at the way he left the team. Maybe my hatred is misdirected.