Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #1
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ticket reporting a coming trade

Najera and L8 for Dampier and Esch?

edit: It's the Hardline reporting this. They claim it's from a well-connected source. Should be announced 24-48 hours. If true, we win again. We give up a valued role player but get a legit starting Center (one I am not enamored with but for what we are giving up it's a no-brainer). Once again, if true, we win. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Hardline reporting a coming trade

Good stuff
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

This would be great for us. Booth would probaly take most of the backup PF minutes (unless henderson gives us something). We still have a little logjam at the 2/3. I just hope that we get more details on this trade.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hardline reporting a coming trade

Najera can't be combined with Laettner until the 24th though right?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Najera can't be combined with Laettner until the 24th though right?
Correct -- <edit> unless they are separate deals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If it really is L8 and Najera for Damp, Esch........Donnie, Mark, and Nellie made out like bandits.

They would still have expiring contract of Henderson. Stack and Howard would still be awesome trade assetts for a superstar SF. They kept the draft pick as well.

A starting Center for two backup PF's, one who is aged, and the other who has had injury deplete his playing ability. That is way to good to actually be true.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #6
fin4life

They could be seperate deals... najera for esh and L8 for Damp.
That means that the most that Damp could start at is about 7 mil.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Najera for Esch realgm says it works, but it must be real close with the + 100,000 added in.
Laettner for Dampier at 7mil which is within 15% of Laettner.

So two trades, now what the hell are the bobcats doing or are they part of this somehow.

[EDIT]
fin4life is faster on the draw.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
fin4life

I know a lot of people think that Damp is lazy... but he will help this team and I dont see how that is debatable. As of right now... I am hardpressed to find a major flaw in the mavs' lineup. We have good starters, good scoring and size off the bench. The only thing i can think of is a backup PF. I think the logjam at 2/3 will work itself out because daniels might have to help a bit at PG at the beginning of the year.

Damp/Bradley/Booth/Benga
Dirk/Booth/Hendu
Fin/Howard
Quis/Stack
Terry/Harris/Quis

very solid
Old 08-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
I know a lot of people think that Damp is lazy... but he will help this team and I dont see how that is debatable. As of right now... I am hardpressed to find a major flaw in the mavs' lineup. We have good starters, good scoring and size off the bench. The only thing i can think of is a backup PF. I think the logjam at 2/3 will work itself out because daniels might have to help a bit at PG at the beginning of the year.
I agree fin4life, however the bolded part of your message is exactly what we were saying about the team on this board last year before the Raef for Walker trade.

I just hope whatever (if anything) happens on the 24th doesn't screw that up.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:24 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

"99% going to happen" says the Hardline....wow....if this is true, nobody will say we have a gaping hole in the middle anymore.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:29 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

The big Dump coming to Dallas? I didn't think it would happen. I can't say I'm happy about this, if it's true. The Big Dump is not a good player. I guess we'll learn to love him, much like Warriors fans learned to love him... er, or something like that.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
fin4life

I know that you dont like him... but we arent giving up a tremendous amount of talent to aquire him. I think this is a solid move with a pretty low risk (depending onhis contract).
Old 08-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #13
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I have to see it to believe it. I also can't get too excited till I see how Nellie uses him. Dampier will definitely be an upgrade at center. Terry isn't Nash but he'll be a much better defender. I think the Mavs will be fine.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:32 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

This move is an absolute no brainer. Talk about highway robbery.

I would think that this has moved far enough along to be kept in the general mavs section.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

Well, if this happens we will still need to do at least 1 more trade just to clear roster spots. And there HAS to be a way to get Dampier without the wonderfull Esch invovled. i mean, he couldnt even beat out Bradley in Nellie's mind, what the hell is going to do with 4 centers (dampier, booth, MBenga, PPod) in front of him...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #16
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

The Hardline also said that there is a very good chance that there will be more to the trade than just L8 and Najera for Damp and Esch. I expect us to have to forefit another spare (hopefully TAW but I don't think we could get that lucky >&lt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] or maybe our 2.7m TE. Things are startin to look up [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If this happens I believe our offseason has been very productive. Woot Go Mavs!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #17
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well... At least this Dump is coming cheap. And at age 30, he may have some life in him yet...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #18
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I want so see exactly what we give up, and the terms of Dump's contract before I decide how bad this is for the Mavs. If we don't give up a draft pick and it turns out to be a one year deal, then it doesn't look so bad. If we're giving up our Philly pick, or if we're signing Dump to a $40-$50M dollar long term deal, then I won't be pleased.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #19
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Buyout of Esch coming?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:39 PM   #20
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

With this trade the roster is shaping up nicely. All we have to do is buy out Esh's contract and send him packing and the latest rumors of Steff going overseas leaves us with 15 players on our roster, with Johnson coming on board. It's finally looking up ...if this deal happens and were able to keep Stack then I can't see any other way not to give our FO a A+ grade for this offseason.

PG: Terry - Harris - Johnson
SG: Daniels - Stackhouse
SF: Finley - Howard
PF: Nowitzki - Booth
C: Dampier - Bradley - MBenga

IR: Henderson - TAW - Podkolzine

I really like the balance in our starting 5 and we have defense, energy, and instant offense off the bench. I can't remember when we've had this good of balance throughout the lineup....top to bottom. I can't wait for Fan Jam!!!
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I would think there's a buyout of Esch coming and then another trade to bring in a backup PF.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:41 PM   #22
fin4life

This is going to sound stupid... but i have some proof to back it up. Maybe the mavs dont mind taking back Ecshmeyer that much because it helps ease the pain of losing nash... to dirk at least. Nash, Dirk, and Ecsh were really good friends. I personally saw all 3 of them together at a dave mathews concert. In some way, this could be to please dirk. Obviously that isnt the main reason that this trade is done.... it is mostly to get a starting center.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:43 PM   #23
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban did once said that he thought Esch was capable of having a "Brad Miller-like" impact for the Mavs...
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM   #24
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is going to sound stupid... but i have some proof to back it up. Maybe the mavs dont mind taking back Ecshmeyer that much because it helps ease the pain of losing nash... to dirk at least. Nash, Dirk, and Ecsh were really good friends. I personally saw all 3 of them together at a dave mathews concert. In some way, this could be to please dirk. Obviously that isnt the main reason that this trade is done.... it is mostly to get a starting center.
nice thinking but highly doubtful.. more like they needed him to make the contracts work and GS likes it because they dump Esch's lousy contract back on us....go figure!!

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #25
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

weird:
how can anyone hate this deal?
we gave up najera and laettner for the best rebounder in the last season
Old 08-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #26
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: Blonde Bomber
Quote:
nice thinking but highly doubtful.. more like they needed him to make the contracts work and GS likes it because they dump Esch's lousy contract back on us....go figure!!
I know what it was for... i was just speculating a bit (although it is far-fetched)
Old 08-17-2004, 04:49 PM   #27
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I would think there's a buyout of Esch coming and then another trade to bring in a backup PF.
Is their a big 3/4 tweener out there that can shoot, and play defense ? ? Maybe a Posey or Darius Miles that could play a little 3 at times and be the backup 4 ? ? ? ?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 08-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

dalmations - How about Henderson and Stackhouse for KVH?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #29
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pongo
weird:
Like I said on the thread in the main forum, this is a good trade IF Eddie and Laettner are the main components of our end of the deal, IF we are not giving up any draft picks (the Philly pick in particular), and IF we are not signing him for more than 3-4 four years (assuming his contract is in the $7-8 million per year range)...

If that's the case, then I say this deal is certainly worth the risk, and might well end up being a steal for us if Damp is capable of replicating his singularly productive, 03-04 contract year rebounding performance.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 PM   #30
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. YES!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #31
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

i hope we'll finally see a press-conference

if all the recently aquired players show up it'll be pretty crowded [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #32
fin4life

This story has been out for about an hour.... why hasnt it been anywhere else (espn, realgm, hoopshype)?? I would feel better about it if i saw it somewhere else
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I am all for it. Would Milwaukee do it?

Terry(30), Harris (18), AJ
Finley (22) (although I think Fin should be the 6th man), Quis (26)
KVH(20), Howard (20) , Finley(8)
Nowitzki (35), KVH (10), Booth (3)
Dampier (22), Bradley(15), Booth (11), Benga

TAW, PPod, Esch on IR

Stefansson, Flores overseas

Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #34
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
weird:

I think it's quite obvious that I don't like Dampier. So any deal in which we awquire the walking turd is a bad deal in my opinion. That being said, the deal as reported is about as benign as a Dampier deal can be, so on a relative scale it's not so bad.

I guess if you are one of the people Dump has fooled into thinking he's a decent player, you are probably turning cartwheels over this trade. I certainly haven't seen anyone post a proposal that gave up a package as terrible as the one we're reportedly offering up. Still, for now, Erick Dampier looks set to be our starting center. Trust me, that's not a good thing.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #35
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

Me tooo! I don't trust the Hard Line. Although, they'd look pretty bad after all this hoopla.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #36
Pongo
Golden Member

just realizing: we'd have a pretty darn good Center-rotation: Dampier/Bradley/Booth
that's one of the best in the whole league!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
That's exactly what I was thinking. YES!
Dampier - Bradley - Booth - Benga
Nowitzki - KVH
Finley - Howard
Daniels - Steffansson
Terry - Harris

IR: TAW, Pavel, Johnson

Rotation:

Dampier 28 - Bradley 20
Nowitzki 36 - KVH 12
Finley 15 - Howard 20 - KVH 13
Daniels 30 - Finley 18
Terry 35 - Harris 13

Or somesuch...That's a really nice team.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #38
fin4life

KVH might be a good fit because he is a good 3/4 tweener. Nellie would LOVE him. Another 6'10'' guy who can shoot 3s.

My minute distribution with KVH is :

Damp(28)/Bradley (13)/ Booth (7)
Dirk (36)/KVH (10)/Booth (2)
KVH(20)/ Howard (20)/ Fin (8)
Fin (23)/ Daniels (25)
Terry (30)/ Harris (12)/Daniels (6)
Old 08-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #39
Pongo
Golden Member

if the mavs knew this trade was coming, the fortson-booth swat wouldn't make that much sense
Old 08-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #40
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
if the mavs knew this trade was coming, the fortson-booth swat wouldn't make that much sense
I don't agree. Fortson was a locker room cancer. Ben and Skin reported that he was the target of Dirk's comments about not everyone on the team being on the same page. So addition by subtraction.