Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #41
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Hardline reporting a coming trade

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pongo
if the mavs knew this trade was coming, the fortson-booth swat wouldn't make that much sense
Also, booth can play the 4 just as well as fortson.... but i dont think that the mavs knew that this was coming.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #42
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
weird:
how can anyone hate this deal?
we gave up najera and laettner for the best rebounder in the last season

I think it's quite obvious that I don't like Dampier. So any deal in which we awquire the walking turd is a bad deal in my opinion. That being said, the deal as reported is about as benign as a Dampier deal can be, so on a relative scale it's not so bad.

I guess if you are one of the people Dump has fooled into thinking he's a decent player, you are probably turning cartwheels over this trade. I certainly haven't seen anyone post a proposal that gave up a package as terrible as the one we're reportedly offering up. Still, for now, Erick Dampier looks set to be our starting center. Trust me, that's not a good thing.

well, i think he is a decent player, if he wants to
nelly is forced play a center, no way the mavs'd have 6 centers on their bench

--> Dirk plays PF

Old 08-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #43
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

However you divide up the minutes, KVH would be a great addition because a) he rebounds the ball b) he can shoot from the outside c) he's an efficient scorer and d) he allows Nellie to leave Fin in the backcourt and ease the rookie (Harris) into the rotation.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:11 PM   #44
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
if the mavs knew this trade was coming, the fortson-booth swat wouldn't make that much sense
I don't agree. Fortson was a locker room cancer. Ben and Skin reported that he was the target of Dirk's comments about not everyone on the team being on the same page. So addition by subtraction.
hmpf, never heard of it
anyways, we've got a LOT of centers by now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 05:19 PM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, all of our players on the injured reserve could be centers. Maybe we'll just buy out Henderson and Wahad afterall. Hopefully we will be giving golden state more players then we recieve. Useless players of course [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #46
fin4life

I know hindsight is always 20/20... but i kind of wish that the mavs held on to their 2006 1st rounder and didnt get PPod. I was very dissappointed in him when i saw him vs. China. Most people probaly have high hopes for him, but i dont. No we have him, benga, and esch. 3 center who will never play.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #47
Pongo
Golden Member

i'm still hoping for DJ to become a contributor... but thats probably not realistic
Old 08-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #48
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: fin4life
I know hindsight is always 20/20... but i kind of wish that the mavs held on to their 2006 1st rounder and didnt get PPod. I was very dissappointed in him when i saw him vs. China. Most people probaly have high hopes for him, but i dont. No we have him, benga, and esch. 3 center who will never play.
I disagree. This just gives PPod and Benga a couple of years to develop. Look at the future right now. Harris, Stefansson, Daniels, Howard, Benga, PPod. And they still have most of their draft picks, Dirk for at least 5 years or so, and a team that can challenge for the championship.

If all of this goes down..........GREAT JOB by the Mavs mgmt. Nellie has no excuse to not win several titles in the next few years.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #49
fin4life

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
[
If all of this goes down..........GREAT JOB by the Mavs mgmt. Nellie has no excuse to not win several titles in the next few years.
we should probaly take this one title at a time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 05:30 PM   #50
Pongo
Golden Member

i really hope the mavs do one more deal and stay put for a long time after the next deal
this team is very balanced and got a great mixture of veterans und young players with lots of upside,

dallas got the chance to win it all next year and for many years to come
Old 08-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #51
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

I dont see how anyone could actualy appose this trade.
if its Damp for L8ner,it puts Dampiers contract at 15 % from 6.1 Mil,at worse you get a 7 Mil starting year for a C who averaged 12.3/12 ,
and i dont it was contract season,he says he wants to play for a contender so he has motivation.
We'd be stealing him away at that price.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #52
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

If true praise the lord, I wont have to watch Bradley play his sorry defense and cost us too many fouls. I like this direction and now I'm looking forward to the next few days!!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #53
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road

The Warrior fans are reporting the same deal. They still have Stackhouse to play or trade for a bigger fish.

If no changes are made to the trade, the Mavs still have 17 players. I see 6 centers, 2 power forwards, 3 small forwards, 3 shooting guards, and 3 point guards.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #54
Pongo
Golden Member

hopefully this won't turn into a "bradley sucks" <--> "bradley rules" -topic ;(
Old 08-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #55
Pongo
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: lonny22
The Warrior fans are reporting the same deal. They still have Stackhouse to play or trade for a bigger fish.

If no changes are made to the trade, the Mavs still have 17 players. I see 6 centers, 2 power forwards, 3 small forwards, 3 shooting guards, and 3 point guards.

i googled but couldnt find a (good) gsw board
do you know a decent one?
Old 08-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #56
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hardline reporting a coming trade

Quote:
If true praise the lord, I wont have to watch Bradley play his sorry defense and cost us too many fouls. I like this direction and now I'm looking forward to the next few days!!
Not to infect another thread with this, but if you're expecting Damp to do more for our defense, or be considerably less foul prone than Bradley, I might recommend that you don't hold your breath. Damp isn't close to being in Bradley's league as a shot-blocker, and has averaged 3 fouls per 25 minutes over his career, as compared to 3.2 in roughly the same amount of time for Shawn. That said, I'm extremely happy with the move if it happens as reported.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:52 PM   #57
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

never the less damp will be more productive and get dirk more rebounds, I don't want to change the thread topic, I was just speaking about our center situation [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #58
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Let's get back for just a moment to trying to figure out whether this trade has a chance to happen after all--and if it does, why.

On the surface, it would seem that GW isn't getting enough in return. You would have to figure that at some point along the way they turned down a better offer than this. Couldn't they have had Stromile Swift? Or could they still?

Najera for Esch is a nice deal for them. But Laettner wouldn't seem to be enough for Dampier, even so. Unless, that is, they see Laettner as someone whose value will rise at the deadline. But do they see that as being worth the salary they would take on? Questionable. Henderson would perhaps offer the same sort of value, at less cost to the team.

Of course, they could be getting a draft pick, or picks, in addition to cash considerations. Is that enough to make it worthwhile? Still iffy, I would think. Seems that more players must be moving around here.

Chances are good that if the Hardline is right about this deal, then in fact it does include Charlotte as a third team. This could keep Golden State from taking on any salary for Dampier, and perhaps still netting the pick(s) and cash.

So what would Charlotte's motivation be? Well, that might depend on what they think of Dampier. If they can help land Damp in Dallas, then that does keep him away from the Hawks, who play in their division.

But taking on Laettner or Henderson seems to wreck their flexibility this season, as it puts them right at the salary cap.

I would imagine that Bradley would make a nice addition to the Bobcats roster. He gives them a veteran to help out the youngsters Okafur and Prezec in the frontcourt. Plus, Bernie says that his team is going to stress defense, defense, defense--which would seem to make Bradley more desirable than, say, Stackhouse.

I don't know. I see good reasons for all teams to be interested, but I can't make sense of how exactly everyone can get just what they want.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:12 PM   #59
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

since when does the hardline break these things????

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #60
fin4life

I would still like to see it on some website or news show. What if this whole thing doesnt happen??
Old 08-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #61
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
since when does the hardline break these things????
If there is something to this rumor then the leak came from a GS source. I think Cuban has made it clear that no one in his camp will ever talk about a possible trade again. However, I'm not sure why a Dallas station would be breaking the news instead of some station out here.

For the rumor itself--as I'm a big fan of both teams--I like it for both sides. We turn two role players into a starting center. And it's safe to bet that Damp is likely to be signed for no more than 4 years. Esch is nothing more than to make the trade work.

GS will love Najera much the same way they loved Cardinal. He'll hustle and fire up the crowd as well as the team. He'll fill in at the 3-4-5. And Laettner is a nice backup player at the 4/5 and the expiring contract is a bonus. GS is looking good.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #62
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

MFF, it sounded more like it was a source from the Mavs... I would have to think that the source would be Mark Followill (sp?). He is their inside source on the Mavs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 PM   #63
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
MFF, it sounded more like it was a source from the Mavs... I would have to think that the source would be Mark Followill (sp?). He is their inside source on the Mavs.
that would be logical....I find it hard to believe that the good ole baseball boys have contacts with the Warriors

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
that would be logical....I find it hard to believe that the good ole baseball boys have contacts with the Warriors
Oh no, of course not. I also don't believe that they'd attempt to break anything basketball related unless they were/are extremely confident in their source. They simply don't know enough about the sport to come up with something like this.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 PM   #65
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

TICKET JUST BROKE IN AND SAID THE DEAL IS DONE

A 5 PLAYER DEAL. DETAILS TO COME

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
TICKET JUST BROKE IN AND SAID THE DEAL IS DONE

A 5 PLAYER DEAL. DETAILS TO COME
Let's see what Big Dick knows about this.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #67
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: lonny22

i googled but couldnt find a (good) gsw board
do you know a decent one?

GSW Board

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:46 PM   #68
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If it's a Mavs source then the deal has to be done.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:47 PM   #69
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If it's two our way and three their way, I am going out on a limb and saying it is Najera, Bradley, and Hendu to them.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #70
MavsFanFinley
Guru

According to espn.

The deal is as follows:

Dallas gets:

Eric Dampier
Evan Eschmeyer
Dan Dickau

Golden State gets:

Christian Laettner
Eduardo Najera
2 future first round picks
$3,000,000
Old 08-17-2004, 07:55 PM   #71
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Dallas is now up to 57 guys on their roster now.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #72
Murphy3
Guru

Ouch, 2 first round picks? I suppose the Mavs believe that they can make a run at the title this year.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:56 PM   #73
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Two thoughts:

I know where one No. 1 comes from (the Philly pick from the Atlanta trade), but are we giving them our 2007 pick as well?

Also, Dickau can't be included until the latter part of September.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #74
Murphy3
Guru

How much does Dickau make?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #75
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Two thoughts:

I know where one No. 1 comes from (the Philly pick from the Atlanta trade), but are we giving them our 2007 pick as well?

Also, Dickau can't be included until the latter part of September.
This is more than likely two trades. Dickau for ??? and then Damp and Esch for ____
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #76
lonny22

That means the deals are separate.

It took Dickau and Eschmeyer to match Najera's salary. I was looking at that a few minutes ago.

Dampier goes for Laettner with a max first year salary of $7,215,625.

I don't care about the $3 Million.

The 2 first rounders isn't cheap, but the Mavs aren't going to have many roster spots in upcoming years, either.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM   #77
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Ouch, 2 first round picks? I suppose the Mavs believe that they can make a run at the title this year.
That's the only part of this deal that concerns me. 2 first rounders is A LOT to give up for Dampier.

Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM   #78
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How much does Dickau make?
Less than our TE.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 PM   #79
lonny22

The Mavs now have 18 players if you count Avery. More trades to come. Dickau only makes $800K a year.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Quote:
That's the only part of this deal that concerns me. 2 first rounders is A LOT to give up for Dampier.
It doesn't worry as much as it could if the Mavs weren't still loaded with assets such as Henderson and Stack....