Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 10-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trade Deadline -- looking better

Dallas trades: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 23.7 minutes)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
Dallas receives: SF Peja Stojakovic (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -22.5 ppg, -9.1 rpg, and -5.5 apg.

Sacramento trades: SF Peja Stojakovic (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 29.8 minutes)
Sacramento receives: SF Josh Howard (8.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.5 apg in 67 games)
SF Jerry Stackhouse (13.9 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 4.0 apg in 26 games)
Change in team outlook: +22.5 ppg, +9.1 rpg, and +5.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I know this is way early, but this is looking more and more like a possibility by the deadline.

If Howard steps up, and he seems to be doing that this year, and Stackhouse shows that he is back, then this trade makes lots of sense, IMO.

Sac would be able to trade the disgruntled Peja for explosive scoring and overall defense. They would be left with a 3-swingman rotation of Christie, Stackhouse, and Howard. Very formidable. This would put CWebb as the #1 option again in the offense.

Dal would get some of that offense\accuracy they seem to be missing, and a tall SF. They would have a 3-swingman rotation of Peja, Daniels, Finley. Very Formidable.

What would some of the pro's/cons be for this trade, and why wouldn't it get done, or at least considered.

I am only posting this because I think it is much better than the idea than Sam Smith has about Curry or even a Peja/Christie for VC trade. I think Sac gets more out of Stack/Howard than they would from Curry or VC? What do you think?

*** Not that I really think it will happen ***

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default RE:Trade Deadline -- looking better

I admit I would love to see Peja in a Mavs uniform. He brings alot to the table in terms of raw scoring ability and he's a great shooter. However, I heard Bill Walton mention the other night during the Mavs/Rockets game that Peja is still 'masquerading as a complete player.' --> pointing out that Peja does little more cut and get layups off of passes from big men, and shooting. Note: definitely not saying Bill Walton knows what he's talking about, just an interesting comment.

A 6'10 SF certainly holds appeal, but if we had a starting 5 of JT, Finley, Peja, Dirk, and Damp, we would have 4 straight up scorers and no one to handle the rock (at least Marquis has a rep with Nellie as a passer). Also, our defensive integrity goes down significantly (Josh is probably our best perimeter defender).

Another thing is...who knows how good Stack is gonna be? Maybe he can be a 16 pt. scorer off the bench. We really don't need another scorer.

Regardless, I reiterate that I'd really like to see Peja as a Mav, it just seems like it'd be a kickass team to watch...but at the same time I'm not sure if we would have a better chance to win the Championship with him, which I think is our ultimate goal this season.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We really don't need another scorer.
And the Allas Mavericks don't play D.

Sorry......I just hate hearing this statement. The name of the game is score more than the other team. NO team has ever won a game without scoring more than the other team. I know the Mavs don't need to give up defense for offense, but yes they need another <u>efficient</u> scorer.

My apologies, because this is not directed at you, but at the perception that --- Dallas doesn't need another scorer. Dallas doesn't play D. Shawn Bradley is the worse player in the NBA. PUT IN THE NEXT MAVERICK CLICHE HERE.

Peja could be a good thing, or a bad thing.......depending on how he would work out. I agree that Stack/Howard might be better than Peja. You will probably never know either way, because the trade would have to happen after Stack/Howard played here for half a year or so, for you to really make that determination.

And for me, if this did happen: JT, Daniels, Peja, Dirk, Damp with Fin in the 6th man role would be perfect, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
We really don't need another scorer.
And the Allas Mavericks don't play D.

Sorry......I just hate hearing this statement. The name of the game is score more than the other team. NO team has ever won a game without scoring more than the other team.
No team has ever given up more points and won either.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trade Deadline -- looking better

Hahaha...

Good point 413!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

forget about it Peja is never coming to Dallas.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:07 AM   #7
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
forget about it Peja is never coming to Dallas.
Why?

I heard that about Shaq, and he didn't. But it was fun to think about, and at least Mark/Donnie tried.

What is so far fetched as Peja coming to D?

Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Here's my take:

Peja's trade demand stems from the disollution of the King's once-heralded team chemistry (of which Webber's return played a huge part). He was essentially the man for 3/4 of the season last year, and despite what Americans might think about the lack of ego European players have, it's hard to be the man and then take a back seat...THEN get badmouthed by the guy who took your job. Honestly? I would prefer Peja over Webber, and I think that if it comes down to that the Kings will make that decision as well. However, if you got the chance to watch the Rockets/Kings set, you would have seen that Webber and Peja seemed to have at least decent rapport and got along. I'm thinking Peja eventually realizes that he's got a good thing going for him in Sacramento, and that's it's going to be hell for Sac to trade him so long as his salary is so low (relatively speaking). IMO he'll be in Sacramento for a long long time, guy's got the ability to be a franchise player.

So yeah, that's why it's not going to happen.

"You will probably never know either way, because the trade would have to happen after Stack/Howard played here for half a year or so, for you to really make that determination. "

Thank you for pointing out my hypothetical, I figured that since this thread was based on a hypothetical, and you asked for my hypothetical input, I would give it.

Oh, and the thing with the cliches. Yes, I also dislike reading all these Mavs cliches about how there's no D, etc. etc. But people say it for a reason. You have your share of non-Mav fans who've probably only seen a couple of games, and it irritates me when those people start trashin' my Mavs, but regardless of how much those people suck, it remains a fact that we play bad defense. Also, my statement was just a matter of adding two truths:

Dallas has perenially played poor defense + Peja has perenially played poor defense

Dallas + Peja = poor defense.

Sorry if that cliche bothers you.

But hey, if I could make a fantasy team I would have Peja on the Mavs with Dirk. Crazy shooting percentages...
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

rival teams never trade with each other..if you see peja going anywhere, it will be to the east
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
rival teams never trade with each other..if you see peja going anywhere, it will be to the east
I don't see Peja going anywhere this year, but if he does....I don't see it mattering whether it is the east or west.

IMO, You send Superstars like Shaq, KG, or TD to the "other conference" so you don't have to play them but half the times each year. Lesser all-stars tend to get moved wherever the team can get the best deal. Peja has not proven to be a Superstar yet.