Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which FA 2/3 do you like?

Probably an inconsequential question, but I'm bored so WTH. I was scanning through the free agent ranks and found 4 young guys who play the 2/3 who might be worth looking at if the Mavs find themselves in the position of needing a cheap, 4th option at the SG and SF spots. Thought I'd throw the names out there with some relevant stats and see if anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other on any of them.

Jason Kapono (R) - 24 years old, 2 years in the league, 6'8" SF. Per 48 minute averages at the SF position of 21.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists. Better than a 42% three point shooter for his career, but overall a pretty inefficient offensive player. Gets a lot of his points off the catch and shoot, weak rebounder, and makes Finley look like a foul drawing machine. Had an on-court +/- of -2.6, and a net +/- of +5.3 with the Bobcats last year

Gerald Wallace (R) - 23 years old (later this month), 4 years in the league, 6'7" SF. Per 48 minute averages at the SF position of 17.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 3.6 TO's, and 2 blocks. Fantastic athlete, unremarkable scoring efficiency, and not much of a shooting threat; no hint of three point range. Terrific rebounding, very high block totals (last year only) for a SF. Had an on-court +/- of -4, and a net of +/- of +4.2 with the Bobcats last year.

Casey Jacobsen - 24 years old, 3 years in the league, 6'6" SG/SF. Per 48 minute averages of 13.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists at SF for the Suns, and 15.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists at SG for the Hornets. 37% three point shooter for his career. Good off the catch and shoot with some ability to create his own offense. FG% is low, but his scoring efficiency is good owing to the solid shooting from behind the arc and an ability to get to the free throw line. A liability on the boards at SF. Had an on-court +/- of +4.1 and a net +/- of -3.7 with the Suns, and an on-court +/- of -2.5 and a net +/- of +6.1 with the Hornets. Good defensive +/- for both teams.

DerMarr Johnson - 25 years old, 4 years in the league, 6'9" SG/SF. Per 48 minute averages of 19.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3 assists for the Nuggets. 35% three point shooter for his career, and can create his own offense as well. Extremely efficient scorer. Not a good rebounder at the SF position. Had an on-court +/- of +5.7 and a net +/- of +5.4 for the Nuggets. Like Jacobsen, his defensive +/- looks good.

The way SG's have been flying off the market at absurd prices so far this offseason I suppose it's possible that bidding could get a little out of hand on these guys, but you don't hear any of them talked about much, and Jacobsen and Johnson (who happen to be the two I'd be most interested in) are both unrestricted.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Which FA 2/3 do you like?

Very good scouting reports, by the way. Of those, I think Jacobsen is the most interesting given our need for shooting. The reason I'm especially inrigued is that you report he had good defensive stats, which is somewhat rare in catch-and-shoot type players.

Gerald Wallace could be pretty interesting as we are trying to get more athletic (which is a good thing in my opinion.) But I expect he will command the MLE, which I wouldn't be willing to invest in a swingman.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Gerald Wallace you can never have enough athletes on the foor at one time.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Wallace would be the most expensive. He and Kapono both received tenders, I believe, making them restricted free agents. Casey Jacobsen would be the most "gettable", it seems. The Hornets have committed themselves somewhat with Nachbar, and Jacobsen does have the ability to shoot. As a fifth player at the 2-3, he would be a nice luxury to have.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Probably Jacobsen, if we need someone to hit the three-pointer, although Wallace is the best athlete and Demarr Johnson has, perhaps, the most upside. I'm not real taken with Kapono.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Dermarr Johnson is the one I like the most on that list (even though I really dont like any of them too much). He can handle the rock and run well for a 6'9" player. Poor rebounder but we already have guys that are excellent rebounders. He is really skinny though, only about 200 pounds doesnt help him when he is being post up. But he is atheletic and goes to the rim often where he either dunks or gets to the line. He hasnt fully developed into the player he is capable of being yet, so he could be a great value FA pickup. He wouldnt be a bad player to have backing up Howard at the SF spot for about 15-18 minutes a game.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Which FA 2/3 do you like?

I like Kyle Korver!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Give me Demarr from the list as well. He at least has an upside with proper coaching, and desire.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like Kyle Korver!
I do too. Only reason I didn't put him on the list was because, like Kapono and Wallace he's restricted, and unlike Kapono and Wallace I can't imagine the Sixers would fail to match up to the full MLE. I was sort of restricting this list to young guys I thought might be available without resorting to a sign and trade.

Or do you think the Sixers would blink?

Of those I listed, I tend to agree with those that picked DerMarr. His solid individual and team stats on a pretty decent Western Conference team sure make it look like he's capable of immediately being an asset as the 4th guy in the 2/3 rotation, and IMO he has enough upside to at least develop into a quality 6th man on a good team. The only other one out of the four that I can see as perhaps being 6th man caliber eventually is Jacobsen, though I don't think his ceiling is as high as DerMarr's. Wallace and Kapono seem more like role players than prominent pieces in a contending rotation.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Hey, grnd, if you don't mind, could you add Boshen Nachbar to that list. He's a SG/SF that should and will be had for cheap. I believe he's a UFA, but could be wrong. I like him the best out of all those above, thanks.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 PM   #11
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

foglemann, I really haven't don't feel like I have a very good impression of watching him (which is to say I know I've seen him, but must not have paid much attention), and because of the shuffling between teams and the small number of minutes he played it's tricky to get a read on him statistically. From what evidence is available he looks to be a SF, and there's very little evidence to suggest he can get away with playing multiple positions (too big for SG, too weak in the paint and on the glass for PF), he's a 37% three point shooter for his career, a fairly efficient scorer in spite of his low fg%, and gets a whole, whole lot of his attempts in the paint blocked. No evidence to suggest that he's a defensive liability at the 3, though he is quite foul-prone. Most of the Hornets' related blurbs I've seen indicate that resigning him is a priority for them, though I agree that whoever signs him won't be out a lot of cash.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Grndmstr_c, i think Philly could blink on Korver. They still need to resign Dalembert and Green. And since Korver hasn't been in the league for 3 years, they'd have to match. It's possible they may not match.

Also if you compare stats, He and Finley are very similar.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I guess Philly's payroll is in danger of spiraling out of control, so maybe you're right. I just look at Korver compared to the other guys I've got listed, and he played a lot more minutes on a better team and still came out looking like one of his team's strengths. That makes me think Philly will probably match as far as they're able using Early Bird rights.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, grnd. To me, after watching the short amount of play time Nachbar has gotten over the last few year, he does one thing well, hussle. The guy always tries, never stops. I ended up watching quite a few NO games last year and he really played with heart, and to me, rebounded well for a guy that is strickly perimeter. When I saw him and Jacobson both play, Nachbar always looked better. I'm not denying the fact that his stats. suck, but to me, from watching his play, he's not any more worse of an option from the other guys stated above.

On the Korver thing, I see no way they don't resign him. If a team is willing to trade for Webber, they are willing to spend money. He's a great sidekick ti AI and Iggy. He's one of there priorities I would think. I don't know if they will resign Willie Green, cause they drafted Louis Williams as the undersized SG AI clone.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #15
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Nachbar and Chris Andersen have both already agreed to contracts with the Hornets. For all practical purposes, they are off the market.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #16
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

How about we get a player that will become an all-star if he starts? Ronald Flip Murray. The guy has been buried behind Antonio Daniels and Ray Allen. Remember 2 years ago when Allen was out for 25 games at the beginning of the season, Murray averaged 20 something points. He also plays good defense.

Who knew Michael Redd was so good until Ray Allen was traded and he got the start in Milwaukee.

We might get him for the full MLE. He is restricted, but I see Seattle concerned with bigger issues.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #17
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Uh, whoever told you Murray plays good defense was lying to you. He's a worthless defender. And he doesn't play much of a team game on offense, so he's not even particularly effective in that respect, either.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #18
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I'd love to have Gerald Wallace on our team.. we obviously have scoring covered here.. and the really athletic guys are the easiest to teach defense to.. I saw him play in summer league last year and he was off the charts. He'd almost instantly become my favorite Maverick (behind Damp and Dirk) if we got him.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #19
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

None. We already have a log jam at that position anyway.
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #20
foglemann
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
Nachbar and Chris Andersen have both already agreed to contracts with the Hornets. For all practical purposes, they are off the market.
Damn, dd, where did you see that. I believe you, just wanted to find out where I could find this info. Man, those two guys were some of my favorites to be added for cheap and produce on our team.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:33 PM   #21
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have Jacobsen than any off of that list. Gerald Wallace would be nice if you already had a 2/3 that can shoot. The Mavs don't (I'm assuming Fin is gone).

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #22
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
I'd rather have Jacobsen than any off of that list. Gerald Wallace would be nice if you already had a 2/3 that can shoot. The Mavs don't (I'm assuming Fin is gone).
I agree; we have enough athleticism with Howard and Daniels. The only reliable shooter at guard is terry with fin gone. We need athleticism for the 4/5 position and we need shooting for the guard spot.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote