Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Bonzi Wells

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, the Grizzlies have been shopping Bonzi Wells around, and our very own Mavs seem to be one of several teams that are interested in acquiring him.

You may remember a couple of years ago that Bonzi destroyed the Mavs in the playoffs. There is no questioning his talent, although you can feel free to question his head.

So I'm wondering, what would you give for him to make a deal?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default RE:Bonzi Wells

Matt Pinto.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Bonzi Wells

hahahaah ^
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I ABSOLUTELY do not want bad chemistry guys like Bonzi or Artest or Jason Williams (of the griz) or any other
of these "All NBA head case" guys. I am still waiting for the shoe to fall re: Stackhouse and we got lucky with
NVE, but NO! I don't want any of these guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Team chemistry is very important and I value it highly, I know we have a coach that has good raport with people
but this is something we shouldnt' screw around with.

WELLS, BONZI
11/00
Portland Trail Blazers guard Bonzi Wells lost his headband and Orlando Magic coach Doc Rivers lost his cool, and today both were punished by the NBA. Wells was suspended one game without pay and fined $10,000 for intentionally striking and verbally abusing an official during Tuesday's 105-93 home loss to the Seattle SuperSonics. The incident occurred with 4:38 to play after Mike Dunleavy and Wells were ejected. Wells whipped his headband across the court at referee Tim Donaghy and knocked over a water cooler before leaving. Wells will serve his suspension tonight, when the Blazers host the Dallas Mavericks.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/20001130/suspend.html

9/01
Trail Blazers Bonzi Wells and Eric Barkley are facing criminal trespass charges after they allegedly refused to leave the scene of a fight near a downtown nightclub. Police were called after about 50 people gathered in a private parking lot across the street from the club at about 2:30 a.m. Thursday, said Sgt. Brian Schmautz. Wells and Barkley shouted profanities at officers who asked them to leave, Schmautz said. Wells, Barkley and two others were cited for criminal trespass, a misdemeanor that is punishable by a fine
or community service.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/...rscharged.html

11/03
Bonzi Wells was fined by the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday, one day after making an obscene gesture to a fan in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers. Wells also threw a towel and a water bottle onto the court in frustration during the game. Wells directed the obscene gesture at a fan who loudly heckled forward Rasheed Wallace during the Blazers' final timeout in the 94-83 loss. After the game, Wells denied making the gesture. Just three games into the season, attention turned to the Blazers' behavior rather than their play. After several player arrests and team infighting fueled the ire of disgruntled fans last season, the Blazers made a concerted effort toward repairing the team's tarnished image this year. Owner Paul Allen vowed in the offseason that the Trail Blazers would be a team that Portland could be proud of. And the team released a 25-point pledge to fans that included a promise to hold players "accountable for their actions both on and off the court."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1654164

11/03
Trail Blazers guard Bonzi Wells was suspended for two games without pay by the team Tuesday for cursing his coach after being taken out of a game. Wells also was stripped of his co-captain's title for his behavior during Monday night's 105-98 loss at Dallas. “It just gets old. I'm sick of it,” coach Maurice Cheeks said. “I'm sick of always saying he didn't mean it and all that. Players have to be accountable for what they do and what they say.” Cheeks said Tuesday that Wells cursed him after being removed from the game in the third quarter. Wells did not play the rest of the way. Team president Steve Patterson said further violations would result in stiffer penalties. Wells apologized, saying, “I'm not going to be 100 percent perfect -- I'm going to have a 10 percent lapse sometimes.” Wells was suspended by the NBA for a game last November after spitting on San Antonio forward Danny Ferry during a game. The next month, he drew a two-game league suspension for his role in a postgame brawl with the Golden State Warriors. Last March, Wells was suspended for one game by Cheeks for “conduct considered detrimental to the team.” Details of the matter were not released. Several player arrests and team infighting angered fans last season. Blazers officials are trying to repair the club's image this year.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

People can change...besides, if we could trade Fin for him I'd rather have a head-case with a jumpshot than lose Fin for nothing. Just an idea. Don't know if the numbers work.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I think if we're being honest here, we'd all have to admit that we'd spit on Danny Ferry, too, if we had the chance.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think if we're being honest here, we'd all have to admit that we'd spit on Danny Ferry, too, if we had the chance
I know I would...

Speaking of Bonzi, who can forget this exchange...

Q: Did you flip off a fan, Bonzi?

A: I don't remember nothing like that, but if I did, I was probably wrong. But I don't remember doing nothing like that. I black out sometimes.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
I think if we're being honest here, we'd all have to admit that we'd spit on Danny Ferry, too, if we had the chance
I know I would...

Speaking of Bonzi, who can forget this exchange...

Q: Did you flip off a fan, Bonzi?

A: I don't remember nothing like that, but if I did, I was probably wrong. But I don't remember doing nothing like that. I black out sometimes.
Who couldn't love a guy like this. [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

if some how we can trade for wells and swift (sign and trade) that would be perfect
Old 07-15-2005, 06:18 PM   #10
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

I wish folks would quit posting about trying to get swift to dallas

Swift is young, and has been rotting on the bench behind gasol in memphis...He has a lot of talent and is looking for a starting job somewhere. He is not going to a team that will relegate him to a bench role, AGAIN.

Unless you want to trade Dirk to start Swift, don't propose swift deals please.

rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Stackhouse was a career starter and he was our sixth man. Nick Van Exel, and Antwan Jamison were carrer starters and came off the bench for the mavs. Give it a rest. Swift would be a great fit here, but the mavs just like the Rockets only have the MLE.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Stackhouse was a career starter and he was our sixth man. Nick Van Exel, and Antwan Jamison were carrer starters and came off the bench for the mavs. Give it a rest. Swift would be a great fit here, but the mavs just like the Rockets only have the MLE.
yeah right..

give it a rest? How about the trade proposers and people of their ilk give it a rest?

stackhouse is 30 years old and has been a career loser, so he took the role in dallas..van exel was also 30+ years old when he joined the mavs and was in the same boat as stackhouse.

Jamison came off the bench for one year because he wanted to see what winning was like..He did, and he requested to be traded if they planned on him permanently being a sixth man.

The rockets will work a sign and trade..Swift fills a need for them and immediately becomes the starter. They'll push Juwan Howard aside citing health problems.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #13
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Who would the Rockets trade? The only players with any value are Yao and T-Mac. Would Jerry West settle for a pick and a couple of expiring contracts?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:31 AM   #14
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

Well, if swift wants to start, i am willing to bench damp. Swift is everything we lack in a big man. Intense, athletic, energetic, great at blocking shots and rebounding. A big portion of the teams will have quick athletic centers that can speed by damp. I am really concerned. There is Shaq and Yao, but who else!??! Lakers just got Kwame, phoenix have Kurt and Amare. The game is changing more and more.

Granted the rockets are way more appealing and he is a perfect fit there, but if they were not able to get him, we should try and see his level of interest in being mainly on the bench..
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:59 AM   #15
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Leb, you're definition of Swift's game sounds like all the symptoms of a bench player. And btw, if you think Swift is a good rebounder or great shotblocker you're sadly mistaking. And there's really only two centers Damp has had trouble guarding, Amare(who might play PF next year), and Yao(who's 6inches taller).

Don't be too concerned. If we lose, it won't be b/c of Dampier.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #16
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

I thought this was a Bonzi Wells thread... Bonzi would be good here I think. A head case - yes. However Bonzi is a big guard and knows how to play. Here is what DB.com had to say...

Changing Of Two Guards?
A Finley Quirk And A Bonzi Rumor

By David Lord and Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The Mavs have bumped into a quirk in the new rules that makes it a bit more tricky to trade Michael Finley. Meanwhile, the Mavs' desire for a new look has them reportedly considering a quirky character named Bonzi Wells.
DB.COM BOARDS
FISH ON RADIO
In the scenarios regarding a possible trade of Finley this summer, we have worked under the assumption that the Mavs might be willing to take back a player in the trade that was unusable to them, and then use the new CBA's one time tax-amnesty waiver on that (less expensive) player rather than on Finley's big contract. Wrong, we found out today.
With a tip of the hat to Art Garcia of the FWST who clued us in to this possibility, we have been informed by Mavs boss Mark Cuban that one of the provisions of the tax-amnesty rule is that the amnesty cannot be applied by a team to the contract of a player they acquire after the new CBA goes into effect.
Therefore, if Finley is traded, the Mavs will not be able to use any player they acquire in such trade as an amnesty possibility. Since that lessens the pool of players they might accept in such a trade, it also lessens the possibility of a trade itself. And that rule also eliminates our proposed trade angle regarding Shawn Bradley's contract. Our idea was to offer him to a team who was planning to waive a slightly more expensive player that the Mavs could use, allowing the Mavs to gain a usable player and allowing the other team to have a smaller contract (Bradley's) to swallow in their waiver.
For all the amateur GMs out there in Mavs Land, its time to go back to the drawing boards and come up with different Finley trade ideas now, because many of the ones invented to this point are going to be completely undesireable or undoable due to this rule. And for the Mavs, the choices are much more limited than we thought, as they consider what they are going to do with Finley.

Meanwhile, the Memphis Commercial Appeal is reporting that Bonzi Wells -- who may not be re-upped by the Grizzlies -- has drawnthe interest of the Mavs.
"At least a half-dozen suitors have expressed interest in Bonzi Wells with a week remaining before the Grizzlies must decide whether to exercise an $8 million contract option on the veteran shooting guard,'' writes the paper, adding, "The Grizzles have had more than cursory conversations with Boston, Dallas, Washington, Sacramento, Detroit and the Los Angeles Clippers regarding Wells, according to league sources.''
Wells could conceivably move in either a sign-and-trade or in free agency. With Ray Allen, Michael Redd and Larry Hughes now off the market, Wells, 29, is on paper the next best thing for clubs desiring big-guard help -- unless. ...
Unless you think of Finley as that "next best thing.'' Which is why we'll use the word "quirky'' again: The Mavs might export someone like Finley and import someone like Bonzi?
Yeah, "quirky.''

Sounds interesting to me...
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #17
Lebanese_Fan

Lebanese_Fan is on a distinguished road

When we look at trade possibilities, we have to think if there is a team willing to take Finn’s contract? Is there a team desperate enough for a 2 guard to take him on? Is there a team crazy enough to take the contract of the 10th most expensive player in the league?!?! I find it tough to package any type of deal without giving up more talent like terry with his expiring contract.

I see terry a part of any deal to send fin away. The question is, are we willing to part with JET?

Lets say we offer Jet and fin for Tinsley, croshere and bender. I like it, does Indiana like it.
Lebanese_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #18
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

bonzi has benn a good person and teamate at mem. I think he was a product of his enviroment in portland. his talent is better than any option we have at the 2 so if theres a chance to get him DO IT.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #19
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I like a line up of:

Damp
Dirk
Bonzi
Howard
Terry

I don't think many teams could play their small forward against Dirk--Bonzi is too quick for most power forwards and could post up most two guards--he'd offer protection for Dirk on offense. And that group looks good to me on defense as well.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #20
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm, maybe, but check the career stats. Wells isn't as good as Fin almost across the board. However, what happens to Fin may not be decided on the merits anyway. Wish we knew how much of his play this year could be attributed to the injury. We'll know next year....
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #21
D-town funkadellic

D-town funkadellic is on a distinguished road

Why would we need another athletic wing player? We have Josh, 'Quis, and Stack and a bit o' Van Horn already cemented in the lineup. Trying to work another ego like Wells into that rotation would not be a good idea. I think he is immensley talented, but we have much more pressing needs than athletic players who can fill the 2/3 position. I say Swift would be a much better target, especially if we're going to let Henderson go. Wells still seems like a child with his actions, and the last thing we need is the little general having to take time out of coaching to babysit.
D-town funkadellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 PM   #22
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: snoop
bonzi has benn a good person and teamate at mem. I think he was a product of his enviroment in portland. his talent is better than any option we have at the 2 so if theres a chance to get him DO IT.
yea couldnt of said it better