Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #81
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

why can't Yi and bogut play together? Yi seems like more of perimiter player than bogut.

what other big men does milwaukee have? gadzuric?

start mo williams (was he resigned?), redd, villenueva, yi, bogut. am i forgetting anyone?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #82
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Dang, China is harsh on their players.

Chinese officials critical of tardy Yao
/ Associated Press
Posted: 13 minutes ago

China's official sports association has issued an unprecedented public criticism of Yao Ming for reporting late to national team training.
The Houston Rockets' star was faulted for taking too much time off to recover from his last NBA season, as well spending too much time planning his wedding and making appearances for the Special Olympics and 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

"No matter how lofty public welfare activities are, they can't be allowed to take first place in a player's life," the China Sports Daily, a newspaper owned by the government's All-China Sports Federation, said in an article Tuesday.

"No matter how sweet personal life is, it can't be compared to the exultation of capturing glory for one's nation," the article said.

Chinese Web sites later said Yao reported for national team training on Wednesday.

The article quoted the national basketball center director Li Yuanwei saying the team's Olympic preparations were built around their major star. Li said he hoped Yao would join the team later this month in the Stankovic Cup.

"Without Yao Ming, a warmup competition is far less valuable," the article said.

Throughout his three seasons in the NBA, Yao has largely escaped criticism from China's official media and the government by honoring his national team commitments.

Yet Tuesday's article carried echoes of the bitter accusations hurled at former Dallas Mavericks player Wang Zhizhi, the first Chinese player in the NBA, who refused to return to play with the national team. Wang was labeled an immature ingrate and suffered an five-year estrangement from Chinese basketball that ended only last year after he made a humiliating apology.

China's other players were "flinging sweat like snow" while Yao recovered from the season, said the article, which also criticized Yao's handlers for not realizing his market value drew largely from his uniqueness as a Chinese player.

China will face an All-Star team from the NBA Development League in the Stankovic Cup at home, where the host team will include recent draft pick Yi Jianlian.

The Milwaukee Bucks picked Yi with the No. 6 pick in the NBA draft, but he hasn't committed to playing for them because his agent hoped he would be drafted by a team in a market with a larger Chinese population.

Chinese fans and the former national coach have urged Yi to sign with the Bucks, but the owner of his former team in China, the Guangdong Tigers, recently suggested the 7-foot (2.13-meter) power forward's NBA career could be over before it even begins.

"If the Bucks insist, Yi will go back" to the Chinese league, Chen Haitao was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Chinese-language Beijing News.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7034974?print=true
Old 07-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #83
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Yi is an idiot. Playing for the Bucks would be a terriffic opportunity for him to learn and progress without the pressure of coming on strong at the start.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #84
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
Yi is an idiot. Playing for the Bucks would be a terriffic opportunity for him to learn and progress without the pressure of coming on strong at the start.
Yi doesn't have a voice in this methinks.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #85
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I think, if you are a number 6 pick in the draft, you can choose your manager. And with a good manager and the Bucks willing to buy him out of the contract of his former team, a transfer to the NBA and Milwaukee shouldn´t be any problem.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #86
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

If the Bucks were smart they would have traded him draft day after selecting him to a team that could pick for them and give them something for their troubles. I probably would have done the same thing if enough teams wanted Yi that bad. Instead they get this worst case scenario in which the player (or Chinese givernment whoever you want to blame) is absolutely destroying his own trade value.

The tragedy of it all is Yi would also be great in the Bucks lineup, although I can see where he might be concerned with playing time (Bogut, Gadzuric, and Charlie V). I still think he's going to be a bust, but this is pretty much an ideal situation for a young player to grow in since the Bucks are already in rebuilding stages and Yi fills a need.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #87
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one place that makes perfect sense and its playing for Don Nelson.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #88
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yi didn't decide this.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #89
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Yi didn't decide this.
Rumor up here has it the Chinese government will decide Yi is to be a Knick! *crosses fingers*
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #90
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

That would be crazy for the Asian community there. Don't be surprised if he has the most popular jersey if he goes to New York.

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #91
BEEMER

BEEMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
I think the importance of Yi for the Chinese government is a little overrated here. How could the government profit from Yi playing at a place with a huge Chinese population?

In my opinion the government has nothing to do with it. It´s all about the merchandising and money. The problem is the greed for money of the Chinese club Yi was playing for and his management.

So the key for Yi and the Bucks is to come to terms with his club (contractual and moneywise) and for Yi to change the management at best. It can´t be that hard to buy him out of his contract. Here is the question: Are the Bucks willing to pay the price?

All in all this is a very preposterous charade.

listen now....everyone needs to get out of this American(democracy government) way of thinking. No need to be mad at Yi. No need to start pointing fingers. Yi, if you didnt know is Chinese, and the Chinese, if you didnt know, is a Communist Nation. Yi is a part of what the Chinese call the Red Army or something like that. Basically, the Chinese control Yi. Yi cannot simply change management, or be bought out. Yi does not have the rights that you and I have. At any point in time China can say, Yi come back now. And basically he would have to, and if he didnt, then look at Wang Zhi-Zhi. A career over in the NBA b/c he never wanted to leave Dallas and go back to China. Well now he is back in China and they will never let him back in the NBA again. Communism is the complete opposite of our democracy. You cannot say what you wish, you cannot oppose the governement. You do not have what we have that makes America so great. The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Those things do not exsist. No freedom of speech. No freedom of press. Nothing, it is all controlled by the government. This is, in all reality, no matter what you think is a very delicate situation, b/c the NBA needs Yi, Yi does not need the NBA. I say this because of David Stern and the NBA wanting to expand. And if we piss the Chinese off, it could be years before that heals. The NBA is a business. And as a business, you will make the best decision for the business as a whole. And NBA expansion across the world is more important than the Milwauke franchise. As bad as it sounds, this is the truth. This is business. Mil is wanting to hire Yi for his services. They own his rights for 1 year. They knew before hand this was a delicate situation because the wishes of the player do not matter at all here. Not even a little bit. Typically players tell their agents what they want(remembering that players are in the NBA to make a living doing a job that they love) and their agents go find the options do the negotiating of money and what they believe is best for the player, but in the end the player decides if he wants to play with that team or not, peform his job for that company. He doesnt have to, and his agent wont negotiate with a team that his client has no interest in working for. In Yi's case, he has no say, and his "agent" the government are calling the shots. If Yi does not like it then he cant just fire them. For all we know Yi could be sitting back thinking, damn people just let me go play. We dont know. But what i do know is that this is not Yi's decision and never will be. And he might not even care, he is already an international STAR, makes good money, and plays the game he loves for a job. Yi does not need the NBA. Not like a player coming out of college who say got drafted number 6, they certainly would not hold out this long because, this is their job, and if they sit out a year, they either have to go flip some burgers or go international...and thats a hard road to go down. Yi doesnt have that road. He is already a celebirty. Mil made a bad and terrible business decision by takin Yi with number 6 pick in a loaded draft knowing that the Chinese governement does not want him playing there. I hope you can see my perspective on this, knowing that this is more than a player holding out of his contract, and the typical college player would not do this because well most of these guys are hoping to support their whole family with their paycheck. They ofton dont have very many appealing back up plans. Yi and the Chinese do. So they(Chinese) have the final word.
BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 AM   #92
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

C´mon Beemer, you really think Yi is that important for the government?

Tell me one benefit, the Chinese government will gain if Yi plays in a city with a numerous Chinese population. It may be a Chinese population but those people live in America, many of them don´t even have family members in China anymore, and the Chinese government couldn´t care less about those people.

I think you lost the comparativeness a little bit. The Chinese government has forsooth other problems, than in which city Yi will play. We are talking about a Basketballplayer and not a political active person or someone which can get dangerous for their government. We are no longer in the middle ages. There is to many interest of the publicity outside of China and I don´t think that the government will stake their reputation because of a Basketballplayer.

In my opinion this all depends on the management, the former team, Yi and of course the money. All the other prattle is only making a mountain out of a molehill (stirred up by the media). I really would like to hear a Chinese national to this topic.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #93
alby
Guru

Yi is very important for China. Most of his importance may not be justified, but he lives in a world where we don't have the slightest clue of how it really is.

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #94
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Yi might be important to the Chinese nation. Of course they are very proud of him like they are proud of Yao, but I don´t think Yi is neither important for the government nor does the choice where he plays in America affect anything in China or its government. This is yet actually massively exaggerated.

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #95
alby
Guru

How are you so sure

Contact Me
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #96
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

If you think it will affect China or the government, respectively the government will gain a profit, than tell me in what way?

Yi Confirms Trade Request
July 20, 2007 - 3:20 pm SI.com -

Chinese teen star Yi Jianlian has broken his silence following a torrent of criticism about his refusal to move to the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA, saying it was his decision alone not to play there.

The 19-year-old was was chosen by the Bucks as the No. 6 pick in last month's NBA draft but has refused to go there -- reportedly because he would not get enough playing time and that too few Chinese lived in Milwaukee.

The 7-foot power forward's U.S.-based agent, Dan Fegan, has been portrayed in China as one of the main villains in the affair.

But Yi made clear it was his decision, and not Fegan's, in wanting to be traded to another team.

"I've read some of the reports, but I don't think he has made too many decisions for me," Yi told Chinese reporters while training with the national team in Beijing on Thursday, and his comments were carried by the China Daily.

"It's clear that he works for me, so everything he is doing is based on my ideas," Yi said.

Link

Yi's Chinese Team Owner Says He Was Misquoted
July 20, 2007 - 7:49 pm ESPN -

The owner of Yi Jianlian's Chinese basketball team now says he was misquoted by the Beijing News when he was reported as saying Yi would "definitely not" play for the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks , according to PA Sportswire.

According to a transcript of his conference call with Chinese media earlier this week, Chen, the owner of the Guangdong Tigers, "specifically ruled out the possibility of Yi playing in the Chinese league next year," PA Sportswire reported.

However, Chen did say that the team "was trying to help [Yi] obtain a trade" from the Bucks, who drafted him in the first round.

In earlier reports, Chen was quoted as saying a lack of playing time was the primary reason Yi would not play for the Bucks. He said the Tigers were hoping to find a team that would be suiutable for Yi's growth as a player, with an eye toward developing him for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

But later reports quoted Guangdong vice chairman Liu Hong Xinjiang as saying Yi eventually could play for the Bucks.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

Old 07-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #97
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Yao defends himself following 'unfair' newspaper attack

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/...nt_5440167.htm

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #98
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
What a terrible example to set....then what? A bunch of whiney lottery picks wanting a different team? I mean yeah Yi for Wright, so whatever right? This is so anti-Stern that it kills me. The guy HAS to have control...so why not control it? Punishing small-market teams is the absolute worst thing in sports. The Chinese are going to root for Yi, no matter what, so who cares about the so-called problem of only 1200 Chinese residents in Milwauke. This is almost a Race issue if you think about it. So only Chinese can come to cheer for Yi? What if Germany said Dirk can't play because Dallas has a small number of German residents. We'd be totally screwed right about now.
There is no precedent being set, in the NBA or in other professional leagues. This kind of thing rarely happens, but it has happened before and will continue to happen as long as the drafted player has some options...some leverage. Prior to signing a contract saying "I won't report and you will waste your pick" is all the leverage a player has. It just rarely happens because how many dudes have the option to make big cheese doing something else? Foreign players like Yi have that option. They probably won't make as much as they could in the NBA but they would still make some serious money.

That's why I don't see why everyone is so pissed at this kid...this is nothing new, especially when dealing with foreign players. Sabonis chose an international league over the NBA in 1989. Vasquez did the same to Orlando just a few seasons ago. If a foreign player doesn't like the city that picked him for whatever reason, is it that suprising for them to say I don't want to go there, when I could stay here and still play basketball? Was it that suprising when Elway was like I would rather play baseball or whatever than play for Baltimore? Some big-time college QB just got passed on by many NFL teams because he chose to play baseball instead. Ainge chose basketball over other sports...and I'm assuming someone drafted him. Being drafted just gives a team your rights....but if you don't feel that going there is the best thing for you then you have every right to tell that team to go to hell, especially when you told them from day 1 "I don't want to play there...don't come see me work out, etc". I'm amazed that a bunch of Americans would choose the rights of a corporation over a free individual in this case...
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:38 AM   #99
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Like I said, it´s all money:

Yi's Chinese Team Owner The Issue For Bucks?
July 22, 2007 - 12:32 am Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -

The chief obstacle the Bucks face in getting Yi Jianlian in a Milwaukee uniform is Chen Haitau, the private owner of the Guangdong Tigers, the Chinese Basketball Association team for which Yi plays, according to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel writer Bob Wolfley.

According to Wolfley, Chen doesn't merely view Yi as an employee.

Rather, Chen literally owns Yi and wants to make himself richer by negotiating a buyout agreement, retaining a portion of Yi's endorsement income and maintaining Yi as an ambassador to further Chen's business.

It has been suggested Chen might be looking for as much as 50% of all of Yi's endorsement money.

Yi has to buy out his old contract with the Tigers, agree to assign his representation rights to the Tigers and sign his NBA representation to an agent approved by the Tigers.

Link

"Talk to the claw."

Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #100
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Bucks.com -
The Milwaukee Bucks announced today that 2007 first round draft pick Yi Jianlian has signed a multi-year contract. The Bucks 6th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, Yi Jianlian signed his contract in Hong Kong following a negotiating session with Mr. Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers.

Bucks owner and team president Senator Herb Kohl, General Manager Larry Harris and Bucks Vice President Ron Walter were able to meet with Mr. Chen, as well as Yi and his family, as part of the process.

Yi Jianlian is expected to join the team for training camp that begins on Monday, October 1 at the Bucks Training Center in St. Francis, WI.

“There has been a genuine excitement throughout our city and state, as well as internationally, following our selection of Yi in the NBA Draft,” said Senator Herb Kohl. “We all anticipate Yi’s arrival and welcome him and his family to Milwaukee. We look forward to a successful relationship for many years to come.”

“We would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge and thank Mr. Chen for his assistance and support in the negotiating process,” Kohl added.

“We were thrilled to be able to draft Yi Jianlian in June and are equally excited to sign him to a NBA contract as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks ,” said Harris. “We drafted Yi with the expectation that he would be a part of our franchise for a very long time and this is the first step in that process. Yi is a skilled and versatile young man who we have seen play numerous times over the last few years including this summer in the NBA Summer League. Our players and coaches look forward to working with Yi and I know our fans will enjoy watching him compete with the many talented, young players on our roster.”

NBA Commissioner David J. Stern commented, “We are happy that Yi will be playing with the Bucks to further develop his skill and his contribution to both the Chinese National Team and the NBA. This is another great example of cooperation between the CBA and the NBA and I want to congratulate the CBA, Mr. Chen, the Guangdong Tigers and the Milwaukee Bucks .”
Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #101
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Score one for the Bucks.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #102
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Won't he be easier to trade with a contract?
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #103
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Glad it's worked out for the team, I don't think the Bucks fans could handle trading away another foreign talent for crap and watching him turn into say I dunno... an MVP (not that I think Yi will, but it would have been a hilarious deja vu).
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #104
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

man......what a shit storm.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 AM   #105
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Much ado about nothing. He was drafted, he signed well before training camp after creating pointless drama that changed nothing, and life goes on.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 AM   #106
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Bucks officials travel to Hong Kong, sign Yi
Associated Press
Updated: August 29, 2007, 3:39 PM

MILWAUKEE -- Yi Jianlian is finally going to play for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Yi, the sixth overall selection in the NBA draft in June, signed a standard rookie scale contract with the Bucks in Hong Kong on Wednesday. The club also gave his former team, the Guangdong Tigers, money in the deal, but declined to discuss details.

A contingent of Bucks officials that included owner and Sen. Herb Kohl met with Yi's family and Chen Haitao, owner of Yi's Chinese professional team, over the last day to finalize the deal.

"We had a very successful trip here," Kohl said from Hong Kong. "We came with the hope, but not the certainty that we would, in fact, be able to sign a contract with Yi."

Later, the group, including Yi's parents, went out to dinner.

"It sort of cemented the relationship in a human and social sort of way," Kohl said. "He has wonderful parents, which is not surprising because he's a wonderful guy. And we sit here very pleased and happy."

The Bucks could not say when the 6-foot-11 power forward would be in the United States or meet with American media, but Kohl expects him to be in Milwaukee at the start of training camp on Oct. 1, or shortly afterward.

Yi, 19, said he was very happy, too, after months of saying nothing publicly.

"Today's agreement means I finally, formally enter the door of the NBA," Yi said in Chinese to the media contingent at the signing in Hong Kong. "This will be a great challenge for me. I know I will have a lot of opportunities, but also a lot of difficulties. But I'll do my best."

On draft night, Yi Jianlian said he was surprised he was picked for the Bucks, but thought he'd play for them.

After the interview, he said nothing more while he was in the U.S., leading to speculation that he would never show up.

"Certainly Mr. Yi and his representatives want him in Milwaukee as soon as possible," general manager Larry Harris said.

His agent, Dan Fegan, had pushed for Yi to be drafted or traded to a city with a large Asian influence -- or at least a larger city.

According to Census data, there are only about 27,500 people of Asian descent living in the city more famous for beers and bratwurst than cultural diversity, but the Bucks continued to say that it had little to do with Yi's situation.

With the Olympics in Beijing next summer, Chinese officials wanted assurances that Yi, who played on China's 2004 Olympic team and 2006 world championship team, would get significant playing time against the NBA's best players in an effort to sharpen his skills for those games.

"Certainly from our standpoint, we're very committed to making him the best player that he's going to be, we made that very clear," Harris said. "You're talking about a young man that obviously has a lot on his shoulders, not only for himself, but for his country and with the Olympics being in Beijing, we understand those situations."

Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images
After months of uncertainty, the Bucks finally signed Yi Jianlian on Wednesday.

Kohl said that they came to Hong Kong at the request of Chen and Yi's handlers, but the Bucks maintained the deal was not done when they got on a plane on Tuesday.

"I'll say they were very appreciative, all of them, of the effort that we made in coming here," Kohl said. "That to them was an indication of our commitment to Yi. When you get on a plane and go half way around the world at the invitation of the team owner, Mr. Chen, you're not doing that for any other reason except you're commitment to the individual. In this case, Yi and his career."

"He impressed us," Kohl said of Yi. "There's going to be no question about his character, about his work ethic, about his desire to do good for himself and his team and his country."

There's no guarantee Yi will make the same impact as Yao Ming, his national teammate selected by the Houston Rockets with the first pick in 2002.

Last season, Yi posted career-high averages with 24.9 points, 11.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 30.7 minutes for the Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association.

But there are questions about his defense, strength and age, and while he flashed some skills with Team China in the Summer League in Las Vegas, he also showed he had a lot to learn, being pushed around by first and second-year players instead of the NBA's elite.

The Chinese Basketball Association lists Yi's birthday as Oct. 27, 1987, but he has long been rumored older. Kohl said Yi told them he was 19, and the Bucks liked his determination when discussing what type of impact he'd like to have on the court.

"Talking with him over the last 24 hours, there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to become the player he thinks he wants to become," Harris said. "There's no doubt in our mind this kid is going to be a special person, a special player and we're going to do everything we can and we're committed to making sure that he becomes the player he wants to be."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Link

As much to all the wild conspiracy theories in this thread. As I said before, it´s all about the money.

"Talk to the claw."

Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #107
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

His potential is going to skyrocket in the NBA.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #108
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Tigers extorted money from the NBA under the guise of a contract buyout and somehow no one in the NBA is concerned.