Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough
Default Your Dallas Stars Off-Season Thread

Well here it is, a place for Flaco, me, and perhaps Ames to shoot the $hit on hockey for the next 4 months.

How about we start with what moves we would like to see the stars make.

first I want a scoring winger, but hey don't we all. Also it is time for the kid in iowa to be the back up goal tender. Holmquist sucks and perhaps that would save us some cap.

What else do you guys think would help?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

-Holmquist is gone and Stephan is up.
-Norstrom is probably gone for cap space.
-We need a scoring winger. We can't afford Hossa without giving up the barn. Dailey is expendable in my book to try and trade for someone. Some people suggest Michael Ryder.
-Since the draft is deep this year, we should be lucky enough to pick up a young forward or defenseman. Hopefully, we will be Pittsburg-lucky and steal a superstar. But that's just my desperate hopes.
-Hire a capable trainer so we don't lose players like Boucher and Zubov all season waiting for an injury to heal only to do surgery anyway.
-See if Bruunstrom is worth the hype. If he is, put him on Richard's line. If he is a "Miettinen," prepare for years of suck.

On a positive note, we have a lot of former rookies who sponged a good month of playoff experience. Let's see if that translates.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

They won't know if Brunnstrom is worth the hype until all the way through pre-season...maybe not until Christmas.

That's too much of a gamble to counting be a roster spot for him for my money, but who knows what the two headed GM is thinking.

We don't have a lot of cap room to play with. The ball will get rolling once the finals are over, and the Stars can maybe get an answer from Stu and Norstrum and see what they want to do. Unless Norstrum wants to sign for like 2 million, then he's gonna be gone.

The biggest question for me this off-season isn't Hagman, who I'm considering to be gone. Let's face it, someone is going to pay him stupid money.

It's Boucher. Can his body hold up? He's under contract next year and we have to pay him 2.5 million.

Trevor Daley needs a contract, and that Jancevski kid in (what used to be) Iowa needs a deal as well. He played well in his only action (1 or 2 games?) this year and he'd be nice to have as a back up for the inevitable injuries.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-22-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

btw, you'll be needing this a lot for the off-season:

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=DAL
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
They won't know if Brunnstrom is worth the hype until all the way through pre-season...maybe not until Christmas.

That's too much of a gamble to counting be a roster spot for him for my money, but who knows what the two headed GM is thinking.

We don't have a lot of cap room to play with. The ball will get rolling once the finals are over, and the Stars can maybe get an answer from Stu and Norstrum and see what they want to do. Unless Norstrum wants to sign for like 2 million, then he's gonna be gone.

The biggest question for me this off-season isn't Hagman, who I'm considering to be gone. Let's face it, someone is going to pay him stupid money.

It's Boucher. Can his body hold up? He's under contract next year and we have to pay him 2.5 million.

Trevor Daley needs a contract, and that Jancevski kid in (what used to be) Iowa needs a deal as well. He played well in his only action (1 or 2 games?) this year and he'd be nice to have as a back up for the inevitable injuries.
I say you have to get rid of Boucher or Norstrum. I don't know what to make of Boucher's health due to he never got proper surgery until the end of the season. But if Norstrum accepts the paycut, I say you keep him.

Hagman is gone. And as much as I like the guy, good riddence. He gets so many oppurtunities to cash in a goal, especially in the playoffs, and never did. He can't finish. Unless he signs a low contract and learns how to put a puck in the net, bye bye.

Last edited by Caseman; 05-22-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

There were so many times this season (prior to march) that my Dad and I would be sitting up there looking at each other and saying "They need to sign that guy right now"

He was so money in the first half of the season. So money.

But you're right...he's really good at getting chances. How many times is he breaking into the zone by himself, but real threatening like, only to have the puck end up in the glass?

If he could just learn that little extra bit at the end....ahh but that's the special part. The other part is effort. The part he lacks is that touch at the end, that calm. You can't teach that part. He seemed to have it in October, but he lost it.

I love the guy, he's a great competitor. The only problem is, the UFA market is pretty bare this off season, so someone's going to offer him that supid money the Rangers were handing out to people a couple of years ago, and he's gonna have to take it. I just hope it's in the east.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Have been so caught up in graduation/moving hell, just now noticed that HullJack have gotten their new extensions. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....1ae12090.html

3 years each, Tipp's is coming up too. Congrats to all, they deserve it.

You know who else needs to get signed? Ulf Dahlen. We need that PP.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

any free agents worth spending money on?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks that I'm not allowed in this thread......
Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

in thinking back thru the playoffs, i think trevor daley was quietly awesome. i rarely remember him being out of position, getting out-fought for pucks, or getting burned by speedy wingers. truthfully, i can hardly remember him out there in a bad situation. in some ways, a good defenseman is like a good referee - if you don't notice they're there, they are probably doing a good job.

plus he has the speed and skating skills to join the rush effectively, if he can ever get his shot on net consistently.

i think he really came into his own this year and should be a top 4 blueliner in dallas for as long as they can lock him up for.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
That sucks that I'm not allowed in this thread......
With an awesome signature like that....we are awaiting your hockey HSO's with MUCH anticipation.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Being a Stars fan, and thus a fan of the NHL...how many of us are going to turn on the Stanley Cup Finals?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I will be locked in, until Detroit gets up 3-0.

And I really hope I'm wrong about that But who have the Penguins played?

They tore through the AHL, I mean Eastern Conference. Good for them.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
Caseman
Golden Member

I want Pittsburg to fail. This is probably the best team that will be assembled around Crosby and Malkin. They don't have to cap to keep Hossa, and Jordan Staal will probably want more cash coming his way, so he's gone as well. Go Wings Go!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I will always root agains those commie bastards in the red army. Hope to see my childhood favorite penguins skating the cup. However I hope it goes 7 just so I don't have to resort to watching 4 basketball teams that I despise just yet.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #16
Caseman
Golden Member

Tippett was resigned today. I don't have the details though.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I don't mean to be confrontational here in our happy hockey thread, but how can you possibly root against the Penguins?

It's a double double good good proposition. As a Stars fan you are obligated to hate the Red Wings with a fiery passion. And if the Pens win, the league and the sport wins. I don't think people are allowed to be beaten down by Crosby and penguin love. We need it. Hockey needs it.

They aren't the Yankees or the Celtics. The league needs the Penguins, and so does hockey, and so do you. I say give them as much attention as possible. The only way any one is every going to stop the dial on the Finals as they flip by is if they seem something or someone they've heard of before. The Wings and Pens series offers as much of this as possible.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
I don't mean to be confrontational here in our happy hockey thread, but how can you possibly root against the Penguins?

It's a double double good good proposition. As a Stars fan you are obligated to hate the Red Wings with a fiery passion. And if the Pens win, the league and the sport wins. I don't think people are allowed to be beaten down by Crosby and penguin love. We need it. Hockey needs it.

They aren't the Yankees or the Celtics. The league needs the Penguins, and so does hockey, and so do you. I say give them as much attention as possible. The only way any one is every going to stop the dial on the Finals as they flip by is if they seem something or someone they've heard of before. The Wings and Pens series offers as much of this as possible.
Listen, I hate both teams. So, I choose which loss would be more funny to me. For me, the Penguins losing with the best chance they are going to get with Crosby/Malkin (with Hossa and Staal still in contract) would be great. Plus, Pittsburg fans are way more annoying. They expect to be loved, just the New England Patriot fans. They believe they are America's team. I want the hype to fail against the cold machine known as the Deadwings.

Also, if the league needs more popularity, then they should stop being dumbasses and hosting half the playoff games on a channel no one watches. The Pens are going to win championships, but I rather they lose now. Crosby is a diver. Therrien is a whiner. Fleury is overhyped. Die Pens Die!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #19
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

If any hockey team is Americas hockey team, it's the pink wings by a mile.

And I hate them so very much for that.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmD-ktxdy4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny66T...eature=related

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-23-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #21
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
If any hockey team is Americas hockey team, it's the pink wings by a mile.

And I hate them so very much for that.
The Wings will decay sooner or later. This Penguins team is young and has the potential to be more bandwagoner-y than the Red Wings ever were. The Penguins are going to win sooner or later. Why can't you enjoy them losing once? This love for anything black, white, and gold is kind of sickening to me.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
wesbrynt

I have to say I root for the penguins and the steelers so I guess I like black and gold. let the pens have one and then once everyone is on the bandwagon with seatbelts fastened we can all start hating them and unleash our mega-negativity ball upon their dynasty plans.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The penguins fans don't come into my building, beat me 3 or 4 times a year, and wave all their cups in my face. The Penguin fan is not obnoxious to a Stars fan.

The Penguin fan does not bother me.

The Red Wing fan, I want to kill in the most brutal way possible.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
I have to say I root for the penguins and the steelers so I guess I like black and gold. let the pens have one and then once everyone is on the bandwagon with seatbelts fastened we can all start hating them and unleash our mega-negativity ball upon their dynasty plans.
No break their spirits now, then we will only have to deal with one Detroit-eske team.

Anyway, it looks like this will be a short series. The Eastern Conference looks like jello compared to the West. Seriously, didn't the Penguins cake-walk their way to the Finals?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #25
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
The penguins fans don't come into my building, beat me 3 or 4 times a year, and wave all their cups in my face. The Penguin fan is not obnoxious to a Stars fan.

The Penguin fan does not bother me.

The Red Wing fan, I want to kill in the most brutal way possible.
So would you rather have to deal with Detroit fans or both Pittsburg AND Detroit fans? Let's contain this until Cheelios finally looks in a mirror.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Anyway, it looks like this will be a short series. The Eastern Conference looks like jello compared to the West. Seriously, didn't the Penguins cake-walk their way to the Finals?
Seriously. West > East. By FAR.

The crappiest part about this game tonight was the realization that we could have handled these young pitt pups with ease.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #27
wesbrynt

detroit did the same thing to pitt that they did to us. Once they got down it was over. They just played the puck possesion game until pitt made a mistake and then it was church.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 AM   #28
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I hate the Red Wings...however something about the annoying Penguins has simply rubbed me the wrong way. So I find myself cheering for a 4 game Red Wing Sweep!!!

If anything it will further validate how awesome our Dallas Stars truly are...pushing the Wings to a 6th game should give everyone an added bit of hope for next year. Get past the Wings and we will win the cup for 2008/2009!!!

As much as I hate the Wings, I have to admit they have been something else to watch. Besides...people talk about teams and players paying their dues before they win everything...exactly what dues have the Pens paid...what has Crosboy paid...no for me it's time to show these kids a thing or two about playing Hockey!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The only good thing that can come from a Wings victory, is maybe they'll be a little less inclined to keep the band together next year. Chelios and Hasek would go away, maybe McCarty.

They have Lidstrom signed up for 2 more seasons (at a salty 7.45 mil a year). I have to think he's going to decline at some point, right? Yeah probably not. He's 37 though.

Draper is 36, and he's signed up for 3 more years already. The Stars would never sign anyone to that kind of deal. I hope stuff like that hurts them at some point.

In all reality, when you look at their RFA's and UFA's, they're pretty much going to bring this exact team back next year. It's the year after that they will have to make some interesting choices. They have 3 guys making over 6 already for 09/10, and Zetterberg will need a monster deal, and they'll have to pay through the nose to keep him.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #30
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
The only good thing that can come from a Wings victory, is maybe they'll be a little less inclined to keep the band together next year. Chelios and Hasek would go away, maybe McCarty.

They have Lidstrom signed up for 2 more seasons (at a salty 7.45 mil a year). I have to think he's going to decline at some point, right? Yeah probably not. He's 37 though.

Draper is 36, and he's signed up for 3 more years already. The Stars would never sign anyone to that kind of deal. I hope stuff like that hurts them at some point.

In all reality, when you look at their RFA's and UFA's, they're pretty much going to bring this exact team back next year. It's the year after that they will have to make some interesting choices. They have 3 guys making over 6 already for 09/10, and Zetterberg will need a monster deal, and they'll have to pay through the nose to keep him.
And the track record of a Stanley Cup team the next year is pretty poor.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #31
wesbrynt

The day that damn draper retires we will all have a steak dinner on me!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I missed the game tonight...doesn't look like I missed much.

Thanks a lot Eastern conference, for producing this lovely pile of dung for a Final. Its not like they're banged up or tired...they barely lost any games on their way here.

Think about that....the Pens could almost not be beat moving through the lEastern conference, and they can't score a goal in 2 full games against the red wings. That is sad.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #33
Caseman
Golden Member

And it's not like you can argue this isn't the best team in the East. Who else could represent them? Rangers? Montreal? Not a very deep conference.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #34
92bDad
Platinum Member

Could it be said that the Cup was won in the WCF's?

Thus meaning the Stars are at least the 2nd best team of the season!!! Not the ultimate destination, but hey, 2nd best is not bad considering where we have been the past couple of years.

Progress...next year can be all about perfection!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #35
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Dahlen's headed back to Sweden...that sucks. I've always thought he had a very positive influence on the organization. Heika has said he's the reason we've gotten such good young Swedish talent recently. Not to mention, he was a big part of our awesome power play this year. That's a bummer.

I wonder if Mark Lamb & Rick Wilson will get the 3 years like Tipp. It's kind of amazing we've had the same group of coaches for the most part for so long.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #36
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Dahlen's headed back to Sweden...that sucks. I've always thought he had a very positive influence on the organization. Heika has said he's the reason we've gotten such good young Swedish talent recently. Not to mention, he was a big part of our awesome power play this year. That's a bummer.

I wonder if Mark Lamb & Rick Wilson will get the 3 years like Tipp. It's kind of amazing we've had the same group of coaches for the most part for so long.
That's because we've been dissapointing for so long. Once another team starts to see success, coaches get more interest and offers.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #37
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

trevor reupped for 3 years. a little pricey, but i think he showed that he's ready to be a top four blueliner for the next decade.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3ab10e40.html
Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #38
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmpeanut
trevor reupped for 3 years. a little pricey, but i think he showed that he's ready to be a top four blueliner for the next decade.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....3ab10e40.html
Resigning Dailey? ... I wish he would prove he was a good Defensive D Man or a good Offensive D Man. It's like a hazy middle. I really don't see him developing into anything great...
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The penguins play like they've never even seen a backcheck before....and are surprised to see the Wings intercepting their cutesy passes. What a bunch of noobs.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #40
Caseman
Golden Member

Pitty won? That's crazy maan...

But I think the most important note here is that 33 is officially dead Rest in peace old friend. You were false hope for all..