Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #41
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Good game.

Sucky officiating on both sides. They could have called so many things on both teams....it's nice to let them play, but there were some blatant high sticks, and interference calls that just didn't happen.

Holmstrom hits the post....and it's 2 games to 1.

Sydor looked damn good out there tonight.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #42
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Resigning Dailey? ... I wish he would prove he was a good Defensive D Man or a good Offensive D Man. It's like a hazy middle. I really don't see him developing into anything great...
i don't see him developing into anything great (i.e. zubie) either. but he was solid defensively in this playoff run and has the skating ability to jump up and join the rush anytime. i think he might need to add 10 or 15 lbs. so he doesn't get moved off the puck in the corners quite so easily, but heck, he's only 24 and he's been up for what seems like forever.

i called for this last week so, of course, i'm in favor of keeping him around. i see him being there with nisky, grossman, and fistric manning the blueline for quite a while.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

If he plays like he did in the playoffs, it's a good move.

If he plays like he did earlier in the season when I wanted to kill him every single night, then it's going to be a long 3 years.

I don't know if heard this right last night, but I think the said that every single game since the conference finals began has been won by the team that scored first. That's pretty boring. That's...14 straight games that have been won by the team that scores first.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 05-29-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #44
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

did you hear about the defenseman for the cannucks who died in a motorcycle crash? Sad stuff he was only 21
Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 PM   #45
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

FYI

Quote:
Stars make big bucks on playoff run
May 31st, 2008 by Flacolaco

A NHL ticket revenue report has been leaked, according to this very web site (www.hockeyanalysis.com). Stars were -0.5% per game from last year.

You can see it here:

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/0...ts_revenue.pdf

There is a note about the Stars there, apparently we’re down to 12,500 season season holders from 16,500 in 2001. I would expect that number will go up after this fun playoff run that generated 9 extra home playoff games. According to the report, the Stars made an average of double their regular season games: 2 million per home playoff game. That’s the equivalent of 18 extra regular season home games. Wow!

So the Stars get to game 6 of the Western conference finals, and it’s like having an entire half season more worth of revenue. Holy smokes. If that’s not incentive to build a winning team, I don’t know what is. I bet lowering prices in the upper bowl next year doesn’t hurt so bad now, does it Hicks?

The Stars were 12th in the league in per game ticket revenue for the regular season.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #46
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
FYI
just what tom hicks wanted!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well as long we get to spend to the cap.

Did you know what San Jose has been beating our pants off in the division race in recent years and they don't spend to the cap? Not even close last year, I don't think.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #48
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Holmstrum might be out tonight. Stay tuned.

That would make Hal Gills night a lot easier.

Even if he plays, they should beat the hell out of his right leg. That would be worth a penalty or two if the Pens can grab a lead.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #49
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Well as long we get to spend to the cap.

Did you know what San Jose has been beating our pants off in the division race in recent years and they don't spend to the cap? Not even close last year, I don't think.
And they have been as dissapointed as us in recent years in the playoffs, until this post-season.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #50
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Pens not going quietly tonight. It's nice to hear that building silenced.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #51
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Talbot silences the crowd with 30 seconds left.

They had the Cup in the hallway.

They just need to put a little extra ice on the champagne is all, but it was funny to see the looks on the wings faces.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #52
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

That was awesome.

I love OT Hockey....
Old 06-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #53
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we still had Sydor.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #54
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Shots 13-2 to Detroit in the OT.

Domination. Total utter domination.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #55
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing better than OT hockey when Lord Stanley's cup is in the building!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #56
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I can't believe Pitt is getting away with playing like this.

And taking a hooking penalty in the offensive zone..wtf?

Sykora used to be a bad ass, and he's almost completely worthless in this series. He must be hurt. He played with the Ducks for a long time, he knows how to play these west teams.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #57
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sykora used to be a bad ass, and he's almost completely worthless in this series. He must be hurt. He played with the Ducks for a long time, he knows how to play these west teams.
It feels like just a matter of time before the Communists ice this, doesn't it?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #58
chumdawg
Guru

HEE HEE!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #59
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I can't wait until Thursday.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:

I start bad mouthing Sykora and BAM!!!!

Nice. I like hockey.

It sure would be nice to watch a brenden morrow out there for triple OT.

Pitt has some nice players, but guys like Morrow are made for triple OT.

We'll see what happens on ....is it wed or thursday?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I can't wait until Thursday.
NBA action, or Game Six on the ice? I don't know the pucks schedule.

It's funny, though, how much easier it is to imagine the dog winning down 3-2 when it's not your own boys in the fight. Presently I'm thinking, "Why count the Penguins out? This baby could easily go seven!" Were it the Stars, I would recognize the impending doom.

That said, my untrained eye is disappointed in the Pens' effort tonight, vis a vis what I saw from the Stars. It looked like the entire overtime was played in the Pittsburgh end. However, I suppose I should give them credit for not allowing any seriously decent scoring opportunities. Maybe it's that old East-vs-West defensive prowess thing going on.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 AM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It's pretty effing sad that on national television in 3OT the game gets decided on a high stick penalty. carelessness.

It was a good call...but boy thats hard to take if you're a detroit fan. What a dumb reason to have the man in the white gloves pack that cup back up for a trip to Pittsburgh.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #63
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The real question, is how banged up is Pittsburgh?

They're going the way of the Stars, and meanwhile, the Wings seem to have the fountain of effing youth on their side. I don't get it.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #64
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

What is it about OT Hockey that makes great net minders turn greater? Both Fleury and Osgood looked like there was nothing doing as far as letting a puck get by them. Unreal. I was just waiting for the shot from the Wings that would somehow slip through....... knowing it was coming any second.... and then Osgood endured it instead. I hope the home team is victorious on Thursday. Game 7 drama.

Edit: I'm an idiot. The game is Wednesday. They were talking about the next game being in 1 1/2 days on the postgame talk last night.... and apparently I thought it was Tuesday yesterday (I even took out the trash last night). But I'm an idiot. So now I will go do the walk of shame and bring the trash back to the garage.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-03-2008 at 07:35 AM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #65
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Edit: I'm an idiot. The game is Wednesday. They were talking about the next game being in 1 1/2 days on the postgame talk last night.... and apparently I thought it was Tuesday yesterday (I even took out the trash last night). But I'm an idiot. So now I will go do the walk of shame and bring the trash back to the garage.
lol walk of shame.

What a great game last night. I'm glad the NHL had one final gem for us. Very nice. (Oh and hockey is so choice in HD. so very very choice. )
Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #66
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

55 saves, wow.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #67
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
55 saves, wow.
Turco had 61 and only allowed in one goal Fleury is good, but not Turcolicious yet.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #68
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

True, they both managed to force a game 6 against the Red Wings. We'll see how it turns out =]

Contact Me
Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #69
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Fleury will need to be Turcolicious to avoid seeing the cup on his ice tonight.

I suspect that the Pens are banged up too much. I suspect that they will come out flat on the heels of their emotional victory. The red wings are professionals will be looking to stick their collective boot up their ass tonight.

But come on Pitt....give us another good one. I don't want hockey to be over.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #70
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

If Pitt wins tonight then game 7 party at my house. You all can come over and watch the snow drift around the players like I do every game.

Sound fun? Who's in?

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 06-04-2008 at 03:16 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

umm....Sorry, I'm busy cleaning my HDTV that day.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #72
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ah my sports heart hurts all over again tonight.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #73
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Ah my sports heart hurts all over again tonight.
See, it was much easier to cheer for Detroit. That way, if Pittsburg ever did win, you can be satisfied with an underdog victory.

But anyway, Sweden wins the Cup.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 PM   #74
alby
Guru

the last minute was pretty worth it... penguins are so young, they'll be back.

Contact Me
Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM   #75
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I got a letter from the stars today trying to coax me into season tickets(which if I could afford them wouldn't be hard to do). They mentioned 15 players in it however absent were boucher, norstrom and Hagman. Do you read anything in to this or am I too much of a sports nerd for my own good. By the way flaco how much did your season tickets run you. If that is too personal how about a ballpark figure.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #76
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
I got a letter from the stars today trying to coax me into season tickets(which if I could afford them wouldn't be hard to do). They mentioned 15 players in it however absent were boucher, norstrom and Hagman. Do you read anything in to this or am I too much of a sports nerd for my own good. By the way flaco how much did your season tickets run you. If that is too personal how about a ballpark figure.
Hagman is gone for sure after the free agent stupid money. And I guess they are still deciding between Boucher or Norstrom on who to trade/resign.

Last edited by Caseman; 06-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #77
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
By the way flaco how much did your season tickets run you. If that is too personal how about a ballpark figure.
Naa that's cool. I think I actually bought a "half-season" last year...$22 seats x 20 games x 2 = somewhere around $800.00 or whatever it was. I go to a lot of games with my Dad for free (much to my wife's annoyance) because he has a full season and my mom's not THAT into it.

My ticket guy is working me over pretty good right now. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do...my Dad took a job out of town but renewed his seats, so I think I'm just gonna buy a lot of his.

I have some trepidations about next year what with the price of gas and the economy...and my wife and I are thinking (eeek) of "starting a family" sometime in the coming months, so I have to take that into account as well.

Gas, parking, your time, beer...it's a big commitment. Still, I wouldn't miss it I guess. They made it a little easier this year without the kick in the groin of another 1 and done. Plus, that building is my most favorite place in the whole world.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #78
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Hagman is gone for sure after the free agent stupid money. And I guess they are still deciding between Boucher or Norstrom on who to trade.
Agree on Hagman. It's too bad, but that's the way it is, and the Stars don't spend stupid money (any more)

Norstrum is supposed to decide what he wants to do, and then talk about a deal if he wants to play. I think they're waiting on him for that.

Boucher...he's under contract. I wonder if his body is just broken.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #79
alby
Guru

Quote:
Gas, parking, your time, beer...it's a big commitment. Still, I wouldn't miss it I guess. They made it a little easier this year without the kick in the groin of another 1 and done. Plus, that building is my most favorite place in the whole world.
Can you bring back the coordinates of the AAC as your location again? In a nutshell, I miss it.

Contact Me
Old 06-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #80
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You have to wait until the pre-season starts for that, alby.

btw...Hasek's going to retire. Bout freaking time.