Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #81
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
btw...Hasek's going to retire. Bout freaking time.
Yeah, this really bums me out. I hate seeing long-career athletes retire. I hope Chelios sticks around for another year or so.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #82
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Norstrum has retired.

He had a good playoffs. I appreciate that.

Other than that...oh well. 4.25 off the cap...let the kids play....hope Boucher can play....no big deal. He wasn't worth 4.25. Too slow. So slow. So painfully slow.

Like I said...he had a real nice playoffs....but other than that he was my favorite whipping boy.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #83
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

I was proud to watch norstrom lay it all out on the ice during these playoffs and as you said flaco, it was time and he was pretty slow. Frankly I hope boucher can't play much because he sucks now and I would rather see youngsters. By the way petersen 2 year deal and jancevski signed a two year two way deal.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #84
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
I was proud to watch norstrom lay it all out on the ice during these playoffs and as you said flaco, it was time and he was pretty slow. Frankly I hope boucher can't play much because he sucks now and I would rather see youngsters. By the way petersen 2 year deal and jancevski signed a two year two way deal.
Um, Boucher hasn't sucked. He's been injured. I'd prefer a healthy Boucher to any of our other defensemen except for Zubov. Now that Norstrom is gone, he is greatly needed.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM   #85
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

if you can't play then what the hell good are you??? When he was in the line up he was not good, injuries and time have caught him and now minutes he gets are empty when we have so many good young d-men needing to play. I know he had 20 goals two years ago and we were captivated by the awesome season he had as his father was ill, however the fact of the matter is that he no longer is the player he was and his minutes are more deserved by a younger player.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #86
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
if you can't play then what the hell good are you??? When he was in the line up he was not good, injuries and time have caught him and now minutes he gets are empty when we have so many good young d-men needing to play. I know he had 20 goals two years ago and we were captivated by the awesome season he had as his father was ill, however the fact of the matter is that he no longer is the player he was and his minutes are more deserved by a younger player.
Okay, get rid of Zubov then. He was injured. That's a stupid arguement. You cannot comment on how good he was because he was only just recently back until his other shoulder got pounded in. Can't believe someone is arguing Boucher is worthless. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Caseman; 06-12-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #87
wesbrynt

zubov has the fantastic track record to back himself up. I believe with the emergence of the three youngsters that those minutes would be better served if one of them had them. you can only have six defensemen and there are seven bodies. I am of the opinion that boucher should be the odd man out.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #88
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
zubov has the fantastic track record to back himself up. I believe with the emergence of the three youngsters that those minutes would be better served if one of them had them. you can only have six defensemen and there are seven bodies. I am of the opinion that boucher should be the odd man out.
You can't just have 6 defensemen! You need a backup in case one gets injured. Unless we pick someone up, this is our 7. As solid as our young guys have been, you need veterans like Boucher on the ice. I hope he has another break-out season so I can just rub it in your freaking face. Calling him worthless... wow.

Last edited by Caseman; 06-12-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:21 AM   #89
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

We need 8 defensemen. .We did last year...we did the year before that.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #90
wesbrynt

such anger caseman! I love it, this is what the off season was made for. I understand that we will need 7 or eight but does boucher really want to be a healthy(or unhealthy) scratch all the time??.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #91
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
such anger caseman! I love it, this is what the off season was made for. I understand that we will need 7 or eight but does boucher really want to be a healthy(or unhealthy) scratch all the time??.
He's not going to be a healthy scratch because he is better than you think he is ...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #92
wesbrynt

I guess we will agree to disagree. By the way are you the leader of the phillipe boucher fan club or something, cause you seemed to get pissed about this.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 AM   #93
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Sports...

http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/
Quote:
Stars fans don’t have much to look forward to tonight for the (televised even?) first round on Versus. They traded their first round pick to L.A. for the now retired, possibly carpentering Norstrum. Oh well, oh well. If this core of (very) young defenders can get the job done then maybe a couple of seasons of Norstrum helping them out will have been worth the pick.

Plus, don’t forget that the Stars somehow convinced the much hyped Fabian Brunnstrom to sign with them and that is essentially their first round pick. Be he Junior Lessard (fail) or Loui Eriksson (OK-ish) who knows? They hope he can be a top 6 guy and play with Richards perhaps, but that seems a lofty goal.

July 1st approaches fast and we haven’t even heard a peep from the Stars about Miettinen, Hagman, Eriksson, or Stu Barnes. If Hullie can drag his ass off the golf course I’d love to hear what the freaking plan is. I’m sure Hagman will be gone, but it would be nice to get some of these other deals done.

And don’t forget Stars fans, a full season of Brad Richards awaits you. I know it’s a (trade) losers cry, but maybe a full training camp with him will be good for the team. Not that he wasn’t great last year in the playoffs, I just think we can expect even more in the future.

Mike Heika at the Dallas Morning news wonders if Boucher could be on the table for a potential deal to move up in the draft. I’d hope not. The Stars are thin in the area of veteran defense, and no one knows how Zubov’s body is going to do next year…or Boucher’s for that matter. The Stars need options on defense. Injuries have plagued them the last 2 years and I would hope that’s a lesson they’ve learned well by now.

The story I’m most interested in today is what Chietermayer will do in Anaheim. Retire, Grey Beard. You are just too damn smooth.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #94
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Here's what FoxSports.com (lolfoxsportsandhockey) says about Hagman on their list of LW's...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...ds-on-the-team
Quote:
9. Niklas Hagman, Dallas Stars
28 years old, shoots left

Hagman has certainly found a home in the Lone Star State after a very underwhelming start to his career elsewhere. Hagman will certainly draw some serious interest on the free agent market this summer, though it would be surprising if he doesn't end up back with the resurgent Stars.

Prior salary: $675,000
Projected salary: $3 million
Projected team: Dallas Stars
Wishful thinking? Maybe. I don't think we'd pay him 3 million anyway. Is that the going rate for a 30 goal scorer? He kills penalties too, but we have a bunch of dudes for that. I'm glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #95
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Here's what FoxSports.com (lolfoxsportsandhockey) says about Hagman on their list of LW's...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8...ds-on-the-team

Wishful thinking? Maybe. I don't think we'd pay him 3 million anyway. Is that the going rate for a 30 goal scorer? He kills penalties too, but we have a bunch of dudes for that. I'm glad I don't have to make these kinds of decisions.
No. Git him out of herr.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #96
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I still think with Hagman's performance in the playoffs, we should be able to get him for $2mil. Haven't seen just a whole lot of buzz about him in FA to suggest some team is gonna splurge to get him.

Watching a little of the draft on Versus, even though there's not a whole lot going on for us. Apparently the later rounds where we have picks will be streamed on NHL.com though.

PS: DallasStars.com has some draft videos up of Mo, Morrow, Otter & Stu(uuu). Check out Stu's hilarious hair... http://stars.nhl.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #97
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
I still think with Hagman's performance in the playoffs, we should be able to get him for $2mil. Haven't seen just a whole lot of buzz about him in FA to suggest some team is gonna splurge to get him.

Watching a little of the draft on Versus, even though there's not a whole lot going on for us. Apparently the later rounds where we have picks will be streamed on NHL.com though.

PS: DallasStars.com has some draft videos up of Mo, Morrow, Otter & Stu(uuu). Check out Stu's hilarious hair... http://stars.nhl.com/
Hagman is projected to get $3 mil in FA and the Stars don't have the cap to spend money on a 3rd or 4th liner at the most. Besides, I heard from a Finnish newspaper that he already has his house on sale, so it's inevitable.

All I want is Ryder and I will be happy.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #98
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Praying for Ryder as well. And as much as I am generally an Army supporter, if he was still here, I wouldn't think we'd get him. But I actually have faith that HullJack will do something this summer to improve.

Clearly help won't be coming from the draft...we had like no picks & basically went & got a bunch of projects. This goalie we took in the second round is interesting, but sounds really far away. He's supposed to be huge, but also decently mobile. Sounds like they reached for him though. I also like what I'm reading about Philip Larson, who we got in the 5th round. Looks like a future PP QB.

Here's the writeup of all the Stars' picks at Andrews: http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/2007...21-08draft.htm
Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #99
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well let's talk about the Coyotes....I love what they did this weekend, what a freaking great move for them.

Bad for the rest of us.

Olli Jokinen is a beast. I really don't need division rivals landing beasts like him. Now they have Bryzgalov for the whole season, Doan, Mueller (who's only going to get much better) and Jokinen. They need to shore up their defense a little because they lost Ballard in the trade, but I think they have the money.

I don't want to see Doan and Jokinen on that power play against us...that's pretty freaking stout. This may be the year the Coyotes start challenging some for the division. Their problem has always been secondary scoring...with 2 strong centers like Doan and O Jokinen, that will take care of itself.

All of Waynes waiting with that young team might start paying off...no bueno. The Pacific was already the best division in hockey (IMO) and it's looking to get even better.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM   #100
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

JR is coming back for another season with the Sharks....

That guy needs to give it up. He's not going to catch Modano.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:13 AM   #101
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Look at Colorados list of free agents

Joe Sakic <-- Older than Modano. Go away.
Marek Svatos
Andrew Brunette <-- Star killer
Vojtech Wolski <-- I would love to have him. He's going to get paid, though
Peter Forsberg <-- getting annoying. retire already.
Jan Hlinka

John Michael Liles <-- American bad ass. Hope they lose him.
Adam Foote <-- could end up anywhere

That's a huge chunk of their talent that needs re-signing. I'd be pretty stressed out if I were an Avs fan.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #102
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DALLAS STARS MAKE QUALIFYING OFFERS TO SIX PLAYERS

FRISCO, Tex. – The Dallas Stars announced today that the club extended qualifying offers to the following six players: right wing B.J. Crombeen, left wing Loui Eriksson, defenseman Vadim Khomitski, right wing Vojtech Polak, right wing Konstantin Pushkarev and left wing Francis Wathier.

Right wing Marius Holtet, defenseman Jussi Timonen and left wing Janos Vas did not receive qualifying offers.

--stars--
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #103
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Thanks Smiles...

What about Chris Conner? no deal?

Eriksson is restricted...hope that doesn't go to arbitration. Take the deal Loui...you can play with Richards.

Crombeen....good. He's a decent fill in for the inevitable injuries.

The rest...snore. Polak? How many years are we going to spend seeing if that goes anywhere?
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #104
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Loui Eriksson has agreed to a new two-year contract extension for $1.5 million next season and then $1.7 million in 2009-10.

I was low on my guess, but those numbers sound about right.

With raises for him and Trevor Daley and Steve Ott, the Stars are chewing up cap space, but that's the cost of doing business in today's NHL.
Seems about right.

I've come around on him, he was a real asset last year, and he can play with Ribs/Morrow or with Richards.

BTW, that's the kind of money that Hagman SHOULD make, but someone will offer him 3 mil and he will take it. Oh well oh well.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 06-27-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #105
Caseman
Golden Member

We have roughly a little over $3 mil left in cap. I doubt we'll get Ryder now.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #106
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Kings traded away Star killer extraordinaire, Lubomir Visnovsky.

Thank god. I hate that guy. He makes their power play go (on the occasion it actually goes). Not sure what the Kings are getting at there...just clearing out cap space to play their youth? They have like 29 million in contracts right now, and the cap is 56.7 million. Think they'll even spend 50? Hockey is dying in L.A.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:42 PM   #107
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ryder signs with Boston (as I predicted on the blog)

But it turns out Dallas didn't even try to make an offer for him, not that they were going to pay 4 million a year for him like Boston is. It just goes to show you that athletes really are in it for the money...I'd be surprised if Boston wins one lousy playoff series while he's there. They suck, and they've got nothing. With Dallas...hey we're pretty good.

Oh well...nothing for the Stars today...and slim pickins left out there. Lots of youth to go with the vets next year I suppose. We made our FA pickup with Richards at the deadline last year rather than this year. Also pray that Brunnstrom isn't terribly overrated because he's hitting the cap for 2 million without ever playing a NHL minute.

Rumor is that the Stars are in the hunt for Sean Avery. I hate the thought. He is an idiotic good...if that doesn't work out, we may get real desperate and go for Bertuzzi. YUCK.

We only have 10 forwards signed. Gotta find some bodies to fill in the holes. Too bad Stuuuuu isn't coming back.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #108
Caseman
Golden Member

Dissapointed. But I'm glad they didn't chase the bloated contract bids. As for Avery, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO00000000000000oooooooooooooooo...... .......... o.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #109
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Apparently they were working on Wayne Redden all day, but it didn't happen. The Rangers gave him too many years and too many millions for the Stars taste.

They're worried about replacing Zubov. A legit concern. I don't know who's contracts expire next year, but it's a hurdle that needs facing. Visnovsky and Campbell got locked up...we're going to need a veteran offensive guy to go with the kids in the next 1 to 2 years.

Still...for next year, we need to be worrying about goal scoring and winning a cup, not the "future"

We missed out there. The goals will have to come from within the system again.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-01-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #110
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

So the salary cap in the NHL is something like 56MM. Isn't that close to the NBA cap? What gives?? NHL playoff games are on Versus, for goodness sakes.

It would appear to the naked eye that the NBA brings in MUCH more revenue than the NHL does. Why are the salary caps so close in value?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #111
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't the NHL losing money until just recently? (like 1-2 years ago)

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #112
ames7
Diamond Member

Bummer about Ryder & way bummer about Hags, although I don't think I would have wanted to give him $3mil. And jeez, remember when term was a big deal? Teams are throwing around 4, 6, 8 year deals without even blinking.

So Avery's the only big one left we're still in on. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed, even though we obviously didn't have very much money to spend. I expect this out of the Army era, but I kind of thought HullJack would get creative.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #113
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They went after Richards....and then Brunnstrom got on the cap in a large way without even any NHL experience....oh well. We'll see what plays out. Like I said, I wish Stu were coming back. I would feel better about things then.

Chum...good question. More on that tomorrow. Gotta go...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:25 AM   #114
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Stu's leavin?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #115
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
So the salary cap in the NHL is something like 56MM. Isn't that close to the NBA cap? What gives?? NHL playoff games are on Versus, for goodness sakes.

It would appear to the naked eye that the NBA brings in MUCH more revenue than the NHL does. Why are the salary caps so close in value?
Hockey is actually growing pretty fast. The salary cap immediately after the lock-out is now the cap minimum for next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Bummer about Ryder & way bummer about Hags, although I don't think I would have wanted to give him $3mil. And jeez, remember when term was a big deal? Teams are throwing around 4, 6, 8 year deals without even blinking.

So Avery's the only big one left we're still in on. I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed, even though we obviously didn't have very much money to spend. I expect this out of the Army era, but I kind of thought HullJack would get creative.
Get creative? They only have 3 million of cap space and Hicks already said not to spend up to the cap. So they only had $2 million to work with while people are throwing huge contract. Radden got $6 million for 6 years. Holy crap. I'm glad they gave up on him.

Last edited by Caseman; 07-02-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #116
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I think the gate revenue in the NHL is comparable to the NBA. Also in the NBA they have all the exceptions, and a luxury tax for going over the cap. There is none of that in the NHL. The cap is extremely rigid.

The TV money is where the leagues differ. The NHL has almost zero tv money involved compared to the NBA. The arenas are for the most part full, however. And that has been enough to raise the cap every year since its introduction I guess.

Also...in the NBA, ,they're giving the same amount of money to like 12 guys...in the NHL you've got 20-something guys, and guys on two way contracts in the minors. So the money, while comparable on the whole is being split among more bodies = (much) smaller salaries.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 07-02-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

oh

my

god

Well the Red Wings just won the cup again next year.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #118
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This is actually going to influence my season ticket decision.

This is f$cking outrageous.

How can they have enough cap space to not lose anyone from the greatest effing hockey team ever, and sign marian mother f$cking hossa?

how?

FKCU.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #119
Caseman
Golden Member

Is it really that surprising? Detroit always get the stars and cheap.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #120
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You can't stop them now. There's no prayer in hell. Now every single line will be able to score whenever they want, and you still can't get near their mediocre average goalie to put any rubber on the net.

Once you weather the 1st power play unit, the 2nd unit will be as good or better.

Unbelievable that they just got a LOT better than they were last year. How is that possible? I don't know, but it just happened.

This is like if the Celtics were to add Arenas or Davis right now.