Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 PM   #481
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, that's what I figured you were going for

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #482
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Watkins Excited To Start At Strong Safety

link

IRVING, Texas - For two years, he's been asking for another opportunity.

While it took an injury to Roy Williams, who is out for probably a month with a broken right forearm, the opportunity to start has now arrived for third-year pro Patrick Watkins.

While he started nine games as a rookie in 2006 at free safety, Watkins will apparently replace Williams at strong safety this week in Green Bay, starting alongside free safety Ken Hamlin, a Pro Bowler last season.

"Everyone wants to be a starter," Watkins said. "It's no different with me. I hate that Roy got hurt. I hate that he's going to be out. Roy is a great teammate. But at the same time, it's a great opportunity for me and I have to take advantage of it."

Watkins has played the first two games primarily in the defensive sub-packages in the dime and nickel defense. He has also been one of the team's better special teams players, leading the team in tackles in that area last year with 25.

Watkins said he expects to remain on the coverage units, particularly the kickoff team, despite his starting role.

"I doubt they'll pull me off of all of it," Watkins said. "I still want to play on special teams, too. But I know there's more on my plate now."

And not just a starting role, but a more physical one at that.

While he's one of the NFL's taller defensive backs at 6-5, Watkins has the range that is usually typified in a centerfielder-role. However, he said he has no problems mixing it up closer to the line of scrimmage at strong safety.

"That's fine with me . . . it doesn't matter," Watkins said. "There's not really a big difference. You're a little closer to the line of scrimmage at strong. It'll probably be a little more physical, but that's fine."

Williams had surgery on Tuesday to insert a metal plate and screws in his arm to stabilize the fracture.

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips was asked Wednesday if Watkins could give the defense a boost in the secondary, considering he has more coverage skills than Williams.

"Well, Roy is the starter," Phillips said. "We feel like he's the best one we had to play that position. We'll utilize them differently, sure."

Phillips said he thought Watkins' communication skills could improve, which is one reason why his first stint at free safety might not have gone so well. But that's why the Cowboys are relying so much on Hamlin, whom Phillips deemed last year as the quarterback of the defense.

"Ken does that for us. That's what he does. He's the guy that communicates," Phillips said of Hamlin. "If you see him out there during the game, he's telling everybody what's coming up. He's a communicator. He'll tell Pat what to look for."

But Watkins is hoping Hamlin doesn't have to tell him too much.

"It's not like I haven't played before," he said. "I'm going to get myself ready to play. I think I've learned a lot about how to handle these situations. Your job is to stay ready at all times. And so now, I'm ready."

Anderson Could Miss Two Weeks After Knee Scope

Just as guard Kyle Kosier (knee) and receiver Sam Hurd (ankle) jumped back into a walk-through practice on Wednesday, the Cowboys lost another player to injury - starting fullback Deon Anderson,who is scheduled for arthroscopic knee surgery Thursday morning and likely will miss a couple of weeks.

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips said Anderson's bothersome left knee simply needed a clean-up procedure and didn't include ligament damage. The Cowboys have an extra fullback, rookie Julius Crosslin, on the practice squad, but Phillips doesn't plan to make a roster move yet.

That means tight ends Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett and Tony Curtis will shoulder more blocking responsibilities until Anderson gets back.

"We're not discounting that we might bring in a fullback or three of them before the game, for Green Bay's sake," Phillips joked. "But those guys do play the fullback position at times, even when we get them in two tight ends (sets) or three tight ends. So we have that versatility, and we needed to because we only have one fullback (on the 53-man roster)."

Two more key offensive players - Kosier and Hurd - are getting healthier, though Phillips isn't sure yet if either will play Sunday at Green Bay. He did rule out Anderson and safety Roy Williams, who will miss up to a month after having surgery to place a plate in his fractured forearm.

Hurd, an experienced backup receiver and special teams player, has been out with a high ankle sprain since the Aug. 28 preseason finale.

Kosier, the starting left guard for the past two seasons, hasn't practiced since suffering a hairline foot fracture Aug. 22 against the Texans. Cory Procter started the first two games in his place.

"He's really come along well," Phillips said of Kosier. "We'll see with pads on (Thursday) and see how he does. He and Sam, really it's after practice and seeing how they come out after a full practice to determine where they are."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-18-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #483
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of whether or not Roy was beaten on that play.. he's beaten often enough and badly enough to where he deserves to be the whipping boy even when it's not his fault.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #484
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Time to step up Pat.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #485
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Since newman is back, let's put Henry at the FS position.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #486
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Since newman is back, let's put Henry at the FS position.

Sort of kills our depth at corner if we do that. Not sure if i'm ready to throw Scandrick and Jenkins out to the wolves just yet. Watkins had 5 interceptions his rookie year. I always wanted to see more from him. I don't think he's better than Roy but i'd like for him to showcase what he's learned from 2 years on the bench. Hasn't Henry been playing some free safety though? Not much but I could've sworn I seen him there some this season.

Quote:
Regardless of whether or not Roy was beaten on that play.. he's beaten often enough and badly enough to where he deserves to be the whipping boy even when it's not his fault.
He's only been beaten once in 2 games. And I can think of worse guys to get beat by than Desean Jackson.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 09-18-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #487
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's not getting beaten much because he's not on the field that much anymore. He's also not making plays.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 PM   #488
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, wasn't he only out there for about 50% of the defensive plays in the first game? And like murph said, I certainly can't remember a single play he made in the game and a half he's been in this season.

Hopefully Watkins is decent enough out there that he can Wally Pip Roy. I'm sorry the dude has to go through an injury, but I'm ready to see someone else out there.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #489
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think he was even on the field that often in the second game.

Watkins has already made as many plays as Roy. He had a nice hit separating the receiver from the ball. Unfortunately, the ball somhow fell on the receiver while on his back so he still got the reception. But it was a damn fine play by Watkins.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #490
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Unfortunately, the ball somhow fell on the receiver while on his back so he still got the reception. But it was a damn fine play by Watkins.
Good hit/Great catch.

I have no real qualms with Watkins...I think he is better than Regina Williams any day.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #491
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I think I just saw a highlight with NBA player Damon Jones at last Monday night's game...

anyone know anything about that?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #492
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

you mean a D-list athlete who thinks he's an A-list athlete trying to get buddy buddy with America's team?

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #493
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
I think I just saw a highlight with NBA player Damon Jones at last Monday night's game...

Could have been in town for Jet's party. Probably knows TO too.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #494
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike

Is he an Ike refugee? Maybe some charity granted him a wish...