Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Official 2008-2009 Dallas Stars Thread

The season is here, training camp has started and now the first complete season for Brad Richards with the Stars, plus the addition of Sean Avery and Fabian Brunnstrom.

As much as we all enjoy our Stars cousins at the AAC, this year is all about the Puck!!! The Stars could very well be the front runner to win the NHL's Stanley Cup and thus this makes for an exciting new year in Dallas!!!

I'm looking forward to chatting and reading up on the our Beloved Dallas Stars.

For those of you wanting to see and learn a bit about the Stars and Hockey in general, should capitalize on the opportunity to visit them during Stars Training Camp. It's FREE to the general public and they are located out in Frisco at the Dr. Pepper Center.

Visit the Star website for the schedule and hang out with the Stars...if you can, take pics and post them on this link. I've got a ton from Sunday's intra-squad scrimmage...but I have no clue how to get them posted on here...perhaps a mod can give me a hand.

With the Cowboys and Stars in contention, this is going to be a great way to wrap up 2008!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2008, 01:58 AM   #2
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

82-0
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Pictures here

http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/

And I've got a bunch more I haven't even gone through yet.

And as far as Brunnstrom goes....yeah I wouldn't get too excited about that if Saturday and Sunday were any indication. He didn't do jack.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Pictures here

And as far as Brunnstrom goes....yeah I wouldn't get too excited about that if Saturday and Sunday were any indication. He didn't do jack.
The Traverse City Tournament or Training Camp? I heard he actually showed something in Traverse, so I'm guessing you were watching the team scrimmages?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Pictures here

Flaco,

Great site and even better pics!!!

Where you there on Sunday for the scrimmage? I was, testing out the new camera...I figured there was nothing better than Stars hockey to break in the shutter!!!

I still need to download and crop to have the right selection of pics...then I need to find somewhere to download them to?

By the way, those of you going to any sports/concerts at the AAC...please tip the concession workers well!!! Many to most of them are doing some type of fundraiser for either school or sports activities. My wife and I will be working some events in hopes of raising funds not only to cover my sons team dues, but also trying to raise money for the team to help cover costs/expenses for players who might not be able to afford it.

I suppose I should post that somewhere on a Mavs thread.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Well in the traverse city tourney he was playing with all rookies. I didn't think he showed much in practice or the scrimmages on saturday and sunday.

I was there...I was right behind the goal on Sunday with my camera as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

TIED FOR FIRST!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well in the traverse city tourney he was playing with all rookies. I didn't think he showed much in practice or the scrimmages on saturday and sunday.

I was there...I was right behind the goal on Sunday with my camera as well.
Flaco...we probably bumped into each other. Unfortunately, with work, I am unable to get to any more training camp this week.

I was walking from the bleacher side to the player side a few times. My fist run by the goal, was right when a goal happened, I made some comment "Talk about timing" as I took some action shots leading up to the goal.

I tater walked over to the tape and took pictures of Ralph standing and talking to a couple of lady fans...I then took some shots of the bench that I think turned out pretty cool.

Hey, I was wondering if we could find T-Shirts that say "I support Hockey Moms" - A friend of mine up in Michigan told me that when she went to buy her son some new skates, they had signs everywhere to this effect.

Some pretty cool stuff.

Oh ya, for what it's worth, I was the fool running around not only with the camera, but a camera back-pack and a folded up Tri-Pod, I had on the new Black Stars jersey with the "A" on the front...no name on the back. I'm a humble guy...my wife had the Green Stars Jersey with the "C" on the front. I keep the peace by letting her think she's in charge.

This will be the 3rd year in a row that we celebrate our anniversary at the Stars game...we will be at the Nov 13 game. I'm waiting on my tickets to get here...They are sec 2 something, with parking and buffet...we did these last year and had a blast!!!

There's nothing better than the start of Hockey season!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

Default DMN story on Stars and Brad Richards

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...3d13a.html?npc

I'm typically full of optomism and this season is no exception...at least as we go into the year.

Mikey Mo can become this generations Guy Carbeneau (SP?), while Richards could become that much needed scoring punch. At 28, and with an off-season under him, he may be ready to have a break-out year. He's comfortable, per the article and knowing this gives me hope for something special in the 2008-2009 season!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Caseman
Golden Member

Here's my thought. I know a lot of people like this Modano and Richards pairing. Count me in as one of the few that does not. Last year, the times they were on the same line, nothing magical happened. I don't want to force chemistry on the two guys. If they don't work well together, I rather have three scoring lines, not two scoring lines and a checking line that will score once every blue moon.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Old 10-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
92bDad
Platinum Member

Pre-Season Rankings:

Dallas at #3!!! This team is going to be tough to play against, while we the fans have some high expectations. There is no reason this team shouldn't be contending for their 2nd Stanley Cup Championship!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing this team get off to a great start.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They're 1-4 in the pre-season and the power play has been just awful. I saw the game on Saturday and listened to the game in Colorado last night...there is nothing to be excited about, but it's just pre-season so we'll have to see how it goes.

I have a feeling the lines will still be a very fluid arrangement when the season starts.

Boucher starts skating this week...don't know when he'll play.

Zubov is still a long ways out.

I've been keeping up with them a little bit here: http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/ (where they finally let me change the colors from red and blue to something a little more starsy)

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-02-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
They're 1-4 in the pre-season and the power play has been just awful. I saw the game on Saturday and listened to the game in Colorado last night...there is nothing to be excited about, but it's just pre-season so we'll have to see how it goes.

I have a feeling the lines will still be a very fluid arrangement when the season starts.

Boucher starts skating this week...don't know when he'll play.

Zubov is still a long ways out.

I've been keeping up with them a little bit here: http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/ (where they finally let me change the colors from red and blue to something a little more starsy)
It's pre-season. It means even less than NFL pre-season. I actually liked the lines they had the other night. I'll be at the game tonight, so I'll give them my eyeball test.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Stars are attempting to take care of my pre-season grievances tonight with 2 power play goals, one from Fabian Brunnstrom-en-en (seriously, he needs a more Finnish name)

The PK is the worst in the league in the pre-season...which is weird considering they were in 1st until the last game of the season last year.

....never mind about the improving PP, the Blackhawks just scored a short handed goal. Grrr.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-02-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Freaking Stars get scored on with a minute to go....

I am ready for the regular season apparently. I am in to this lousy pre-season game.

15 power plays for Dallas tonight....2 goals. Not. Good. Enough.

Going to Overtime....

they squander the pp to start OT....

Chiacgo gets good chances after the OT.

Looks like we're going to a shootout...All indications from Ralph and Razor are that rookie net minder Antti Niemi has stolen the show for Chicago.

Robidas is getting a ton of ice time and has been on the ice for nearly every opposing team goal in the last 3 games. That is not encouraging. (given a lot of those were short handed situations)

Looks like we're headed for a shootout.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-02-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

This team kind of sucks ass heading into the season.

They were playing with the full NHL lineup tonight and they just straight up sucked
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
This team kind of sucks ass heading into the season.

They were playing with the full NHL lineup tonight and they just straight up sucked
Uh, they didn't have Riberio, Morrow, Zubov, Boucher, or Lehtinen. How is that a full-lineup?

I was actually at the game (8 rows back from the glass ) and the Stars owned it. These weren't ticky-tack pre-season penalties. The Stars earned their man-advantages and held it in the opposition zone for some quite time. Brunnstrom looked great skating- and passing-wise, with a nice redirection for a goal. Neal looked good; had some big checks and a nice putback from Avery's semi-wrap-around (at first they had Petersen with the point, but I think they corrected it). Robidas banged into anything that moved. Richards and Avery looked fantastic, really looking like grizzled veterans compared to all the rookies crowding the ice.

Now the bad: they did not execute. I think their powerplay strategy was all wrong in relation to how Chicago was playing them. The Hawks wanted the Stars to take blue-line shots and the Stars fell for it. Plus, they were sometimes pass-happy: for example, Modano to Robidas to Modano to Robidas to Richards to Modano to Robidas, takes the shot and misses the net. However, I think they will get better when they have their FULL-lineup, which was not here tonight.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
92bDad
Platinum Member

I too was at the game...but I didn't get to see a single minute....Doing the Parent thing and working concessions for a fundraiser activity!!!

What we do for our kids :-)

I've got a few more scheduled...I wonder if I could do a trade off, work concessions for a few Mavs games in return for Season Tickets to the Stars...now that's a fund raiser that I could get behind!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh hell yeah

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone read the writeup Sturm did after spending Thursday's game on the bench? Pretty cool.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 10-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yes, that was excellent. I knew it was coming up but I couldn't be at the game. I can only imagine some of the things he heard them say.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The season ticket holder event was tonight. Player pictures and skating...free DVDs, which I have yet to watch. I think it's a 10 year history of the Stars on 2 discs.

I grabbed Craig Ludwig in the hallway and took a picture with him, which was cool. We didn't want to wait 45 minutes in each line to take a picture with the players. I snapped some OK ones from further way.

They had Sean Avery and Steve Ott taking pictures with fans in the penalty box (without the glass) which was very clever. They looked like they were having a good time.

Here's me, jumping over the boards. I've been on the ice down there before, but tonight they had the bench open, which I had never sat on before. My wife took the picture as she does not own skates.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-08-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ralph and Razor have been extended through 2014.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #25
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Did anyone read the writeup Sturm did after spending Thursday's game on the bench? Pretty cool.

Thanks for the link...that was freakin AWESOME!!!

Cool part for me...my wife were working that game as a fundraiser...well as we left the booth for the night and turned in our stuff, we have to walk down that halls that the players and other walk to leave the arena. Needless to say, I was walking right behind "Sturm"...I wanted to say something, but thought the better of it.

That is cool to think I saw Sturm on the night that he had this experience...this experience that all of us Hockey fans would dream of having.

Again, thanks for the link.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Holy freaking smokes....Heika just said on the Morning News Chat there could be anywhere from 50 to 70 games in HD this year.

I was going to be happy with like 20.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Win or lose, it's going to be a great day!

Tonights game is supposed to be on FSN SW, I've been told in HD, but it isn't published anywhere.

Here are the probable lines:

Morrow-Ribeiro-Ott <--- Lehtinen is out.
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Neal-Modano-Avery
Barch-Petersen-Crombeen

But honestly...you could see Ott with the Petersen line, Barch scratched, and Brunnstrom up with Morrow and Ribeiro...but that may be to bright a spot light for the young man on opening night.

That Neal-Modano-Avery line was used in practice the other day, and I'd be interested to see it. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. It's not a checking line, but is it really a scoring line? Expect the 3rd and 4th lines to share equal time. Modano will get his minutes with the special teams, and Avery may be snuck out with Richards sometimes.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #28
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Win or lose, it's going to be a great day!

Tonights game is supposed to be on FSN SW, I've been told in HD, but it isn't published anywhere.

Here are the probable lines:

Morrow-Ribeiro-Ott <--- Lehtinen is out.
Lundqvist-Richards-Eriksson
Neal-Modano-Avery
Barch-Petersen-Crombeen

But honestly...you could see Ott with the Petersen line, Barch scratched, and Brunnstrom up with Morrow and Ribeiro...but that may be to bright a spot light for the young man on opening night.

That Neal-Modano-Avery line was used in practice the other day, and I'd be interested to see it. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. It's not a checking line, but is it really a scoring line? Expect the 3rd and 4th lines to share equal time. Modano will get his minutes with the special teams, and Avery may be snuck out with Richards sometimes.
Brunnstrom not even in the lineup? That's crap. Scratch Barch and put Brunnstrom on the first line like they did during the pre-season. What's the point of even having him on the NHL roster if he's gonna sit?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Brunnstrom not even in the lineup? That's crap. Scratch Barch and put Brunnstrom on the first line like they did during the pre-season. What's the point of even having him on the NHL roster if he's gonna sit?
He. is. not. ready. He will learn, but slowly.

And that's confirmed btw, he's a healthy scratch tonight. But they have a back to back, so he'll probably play tomorrow night I would imagine.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #30
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
He. is. not. ready. He will learn, but slowly.

And that's confirmed btw, he's a healthy scratch tonight. But they have a back to back, so he'll probably play tomorrow night I would imagine.
EDIT: Nevermind, if they rotate him in, I'm fine with that. But Ott on the first line, playing his off-wing, is just stupid.

Last edited by Caseman; 10-10-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #31
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to James Neal! How sweet for him, parents in town to see it too.

PS: Okay, I was really kinda worried b/c nothing makes me more uncomfortable than Tom Hicks going Stanley Cup or bust & on top of that, we're the mainstream media favored pick this year. But I'm feeling better now.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #32
Caseman
Golden Member

Morrow-Ribeiro-Ott line scored on three times. Idiocy. I knew that line would fail so hard.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It wasn't their fault...the defense looked pretty awful all around tonight from my seat. I thought Marty had no chance on 4 of the 5.

Definitely some things to work on. Too many silly mistakes in their own end. They just need some more time to correct that crap.

I didn't think they'd pull that point out, so at least that's something.

More later. I am le tired.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #34
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
It wasn't their fault...the defense looked pretty awful all around tonight from my seat. I thought Marty had no chance on 4 of the 5.

Definitely some things to work on. Too many silly mistakes in their own end. They just need some more time to correct that crap.

I didn't think they'd pull that point out, so at least that's something.

More later. I am le tired.
It was their fault. On one goal, Morrow followed Dailey behind the net, leaving a Jacket alone up front. Another goal, Ott steamrolls Robidas(?) leaving the front open. Lastly, during the final seconds of OT, both Morrow and Ribeiro fail to skate back and forecheck Columbus's only true goal-scorer, Rick Nash. They were horrible in the defensive end and having Ott bumble around and turnover the puck didn't help. He just doesn't think like Morrow and Ribs; he probably never will.

Nisky also had a horrible night (-3). He almost coughed up another goal if not for Turco's miraculous save.

I don't understand having Ott on the first line. If Tips wants to gamble, why not use Brunnstrom? Maybe he's sending a message. I don't know. It's just ol' Tips and his crazy lines again.

The only positive from this game is Neal. That guy is a stud. I never really paid attention to Iginla's or Langenbrunner's rookie year, but imagine Neal has a bit of them in him (hope I'm not stretching). I'm just glad there is a game tommorrow so we can move on.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #35
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Um...maybe we ought to be getting more than 6 shots on goal in one period, hmm? Touche, explosive offense. And two fights already? I can't wait until I get one of these games on TV...
Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.

Confusion. Turnovers.

Someone call the Stars and remind them that in order to win that Cup they keep talking about, they need to wake the F up.

0-1-1. Good job boys. Did you know these games count?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #37
ames7
Diamond Member

Look, I know it's just two regular season games out of 82 & this probably doesn't actually mean anything, but way to take the air out of the first year of actual excitement for Stars hockey in like forever there, Stars. I'm so annoyed. Yo, guys? Preseason is over. Please, get it together!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #38
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe after an 0-4 start they'll do a Mavs-like run for the regular season... and then do an un-Mavs-like run after that.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #39
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
PS: Okay, I was really kinda worried b/c nothing makes me more uncomfortable than Tom Hicks going Stanley Cup or bust...
Just curious what you might have been referring to here? Did he say something in the media? Maybe I missed the obvious?

All eyes on Wednesday night now.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 AM   #40
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Sharks are 4-0

The Stars are 0-2

This season is going to be a lot like the last few, and that's only if we are REALLY lucky.

Tags
dallas stars, fluff the tragic dragon, fluff trick, fluffleupagus, fluffy banter, stick and fluff