Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #41
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, I tuned into the Stars for the first time this season and within 20 seconds Modano scored on a beautiful setup.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #42
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Our $$$ rookie Fabian B has 2 goals already? Nice! Guys, no pressure, but it'd be like really, really bad to start out w/3 losses.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #43
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Ok...ok...So Brunnstrom was in the right place at the right time I'm still not buying it!

This is an ugly hockey game. The Stars are still sloppy as hell in their own end. The Niskanen and Daley pairing is going to keep me up tonight. Awful.

All 3 of the Nashville goals have come on weird bounces and deflections. It just feels like the Stars are kind of effed right now. They better score 2 more in the third...
Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ha, I tuned into the Stars for the first time this season and within 20 seconds Modano scored on a beautiful setup.
It's in HD on 576, even though the guide says not....and it is so beautiful.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
It's in HD on 576, even though the guide says not....and it is so beautiful.
Oh trust me, I'm there. I'm far more likely to stick with a regular season hockey game when it's in HD.

Those Brunnstrum goals sure were gimmies huh?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So the refs disallowed a goal by Dallas bc Morrow got shoved in the bac

Allowed a goal by Nashville that even in HD you couldn't tell if it crossed the line all the way

And had a dynamite terrible icing call in the final minute that could have cost the Stars a point.

Thanks refs.

Good job Brunnstrom...Modano played great, as did Neal and Petersen.

Where in the hell are Morrow and Ribeiro?

Get well soon Zubov. It is ugly out there on D.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 PM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ok, that third by Brunnstrom was quite nice. Hat trick in his first ever game. Holy cow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 PM   #48
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, that third by Brunnstrom was quite nice. Hat trick in his first ever game. Holy cow.
Very nice. But I smell Brad-Richards-5-goals-in-his-Dallas-debut. Pace yourself, there, rookie!

Yay for winning!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #49
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah that puck was waffling all over the place and he roofed it somehow. The second goal was a nice effort by him to anticipate where Richards would go with it and get into position. Sean Avery's sweet centering feed almost went unnoticed there.

The first Brunnstrom goal, thig could have scored. That was all Toby Petersen all the time.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #50
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The Stars have always been about core pairings on the forward side of things, with a 3rd guy filling in as needed here and there...since Lehtinen and Modano are no longer a must, I would like to see this Neal/Modano thing played out for a few more games. I'm not sure if Modano took something before the game or what, but the two of them were absolutely feeding of eachothers energy out there tonight. It was a pleasure to watch.

Also, keep Richards and Brunnstrom together for a few more games and see if that is worth pursuing. If Avery doesn't totally F that line over, it may be worth sticking with.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #51
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

"0-4-0"

At least we're not Anaheim. Holy crap.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #52
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I know it's early in the season, but the Flaco-jumping-from-the-upper-bowl-warning is very high today if things don't go well.

1pm on KDFI today I think...not sure.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #53
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

trust me, the flaco-jumping-from-the-upper-bowl-warning may be on level red today, but it's been on level orange since the preseason. actually, i don't think it ever goes below yellow, unless they happen to be skating the cup at that very moment.

you wouldn't be flaco if a 6-1 ass kicking didn't send you spiraling into the stars-suck abyss.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #54
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

This goal's about to be disallowed.

Bummer.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Did they say why on the tv? I thought it was supposed to count if there was no intent, like the kicing rule?

I was so happy for about 30 seconds.

If the road trip doesn't go well, you will see a trade of several key pieces for a d-man, or Dave Tippetts head in the goal behind Turco.

Every Colorado goal was the result of a silly Dallas mistake. Mistakes are correctable.

The good news is they don't play any division games until November. GET IT TOGETHER
Old 10-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ralph and Razer both said it was the right call. Said it can't go off the glove, no matter the intent.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It's amazing how much difference HD makes with hockey. I'm not sure what's a bigger difference, the better resolution (helping me follow the puck) or the extra screen (allowing you to see mroe of the ice).

I can't hardly watch this tonight.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #58
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I agree thig. It sucks.

Little better tonight....the goal they gave up was a lucky bs bounce off the end boards in the right spot...Marty carried them the rest of the way. The mistakes were less and the PK was better.

It's a start.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 PM   #59
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Nisky and Fistric were getting schooled in the defensive end. One of them (probably Fistric) needs to be scratched and bring in Janik.

Turco finally looks like he's finally shaking off the rust. It feels good to win a 2-1 game for once.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #60
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well Fistric was scratched, and Janik played on Saturday, but then Janik took a stick to the face very near his eye (that the refs didn't see, mind you, even though it was bleeding)...That's why he didn't play tonight. He was very lucky that stick didn't catch his eye directly.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #61
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

something about the start of this season tells me that last night was the equivalent of the hacker splitting the fairway with a 300 yard drive - exciting and hopeful, yet excruciatingly frustrating because that glimpse of how good things could be when you put it all together is so rare that you still shoot 94 every weekend.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #62
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Pretty much.

I am chronicling things on my Star blog if anyone cares to read it.

http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/

But yeah, The Islanders were horrible. They should have cashed in on so many opportunities to score last night....and they still got 3! Unbelievable how bad the defense is on this team right now.

Hull and Jacksons instincts were right on FA day...they tried to sign Wade Redden, and instead had to settle for Sean Avery. At this point they look like they had the right idea the first time, but Redden didn't want to come to Dallas. I wish he would have. We have like 4 guys on D having "sophomore slumps."
Old 10-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #63
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Pretty much.

I am chronicling things on my Star blog if anyone cares to read it.

http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com/

But yeah, The Islanders were horrible. They should have cashed in on so many opportunities to score last night....and they still got 3! Unbelievable how bad the defense is on this team right now.

Hull and Jacksons instincts were right on FA day...they tried to sign Wade Redden, and instead had to settle for Sean Avery. At this point they look like they had the right idea the first time, but Redden didn't want to come to Dallas. I wish he would have. We have like 4 guys on D having "sophomore slumps."
4? We only have 3 sophmores on D.

I agree about the rest however. Too bad Janik got injured (broken stick got him in the eye) because he actually looked like the best defender out there when he played. Fistric or Nisky need to be scrathced (probably the former). There should be an over/under on how many times these guys get caught flat-footed and give up a breakaway.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #64
Caseman
Golden Member

Turco blows. He ruined my weekend. Second time he's been unclutch when the Stars scrap back to get a game in OT.

FU, Turco, FU.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #65
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Wow who are these guys?

4-1...looking good so far, but lots of time left.

HD is sure nice today, since I didn't have tickets for the game tonight.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #66
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Wow who are these guys?

4-1...looking good so far, but lots of time left.

HD is sure nice today, since I didn't have tickets for the game tonight.

I'm hoping my wife recorded the game!!! But I had my Stars Jersey on...Got done with my meetings about 3:00 PM San Jose time...got back to the room and typed up the reports...and I was out by about 5:30 PM... Being as I had time, I drove to the GoldenGate bridge...with traffic, I got there late and in the dark, so I was unable to get any pics.

But I was stylin with the Stars Jersey on!!!

Just got back into the room, checked the score...man I hope this game was recorded so I can watch it tomorrow night!!!

All the sports talk here is Sharks and 49ers...yawn...

So I flipped around and got to hear Savage Nation, Dennis Miller, Laura Ingrham and then I caught one liberal broadcast...pretty funny listening to these as I surf from one to another...it's like seeing some message board come to life on the radio.

Sorry about the slide...back to the Stars...hopefully they can start getting in a groove and get back to the top!!! Nice win tonight!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #67
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well the Sharks are making their case very convincingly for best team in hockey, beating the Wings 3-1 right now.

Freaking Red Wings have 2 uses to me: beating the Ducks, and beating the Sharks, and they've failed at both this week.

I hate this division. I hate it.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #68
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

we need a win tonight badly. I just know a little win streak would do wonders for this team. Is stephan starting in goal??
Old 11-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Turco just made an absolutely incredible save with about 20 seconds left in the first period.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #70
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XreUfjIMBuY

What a move, I'ld like to see this in some skills competition...too bad we wind up with a loss, but great play and even better reaction...."SHHHHHH"
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 AM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

+1 for a change.

Color me disbelieving.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #72
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

well we traded that spare boucher for daryl sydor. And I would like the person who was arguing with me in the off season thread about wether boucher sucked or not to please out himself so I can promptly scoreboard him. He was washed up and not worth a shit just like I said. Don't f*ck with my hockey knowledge.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #73
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

So angry...

Lots of stuff going on.

Traded Boucher for Sydor...pretty even swap in my opinion.

3rd jersey unveiled today .... who cares.

Sent Crombeen to waivers and St Louis claimed him.... why, god? why? Why are we waiving young talent and signing 30 something year olds (Parrish) off their couch?

Lehtinen has a new undisclosed injury....that GAA will be on the rise again.

James Neal called up.... at least that's good.

Chicago' gonna kick our arse again on Thursday... they hung 5 on the Sharks the other night, imagine how many that will be on us.

That's all. Go back to ignoring this thread until we put together a 10 game win streak.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #74
wesbrynt

cheer up flaco, crombeen had limited potential and parrish has been pretty good so far. Also we needed lehtinen to stay healthy so bad. I am afraid of the injury trend that is creeping up with him. Glad to get neal back as he had a good stay in the minors. Lets go beat the blackhawks on thursday. Remember just one game at a time.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #75
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Boucher looked good for the Penguins last night on Versus. 21 minutes against the Wild.

Actually I saw Mittenhands versus Boucher a couple of times last night. I don't care how many points that guy has with Minnesota, he's still a spare to me.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #76
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ovechkin with 3 assists in the first period against the Ducks...ridiculous. Then the Ducks score twice. 5 goals in the first. Also ridiculous.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #77
wesbrynt

playing with crosby, malkin, stall, and the other young studs they have who work extremely hard on puck posession and defense make it much easier on a d-man.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #78
wesbrynt

did anyone read the short article in sports illustrated about modanos comments during the boston debacle from earlier this month? Seems like there is already a little dissention on this team. Not a good thing for moving forward. And after this stinker tonight I have to ask the question, what the hell is marty turco doing back there. He is the ultimate momentum killer as of right now and I am growing tired of him instantly giving up a goal to match every one that we score.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 AM   #79
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

no funeral.

read my awful blog for more. http://stars.hockeyanalysis.com
Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #80
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The Captain has a torn ACL.

edit: out up to 6 months.... this according to a Ticket text message.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 11-21-2008 at 05:50 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dallas stars, fluff the tragic dragon, fluff trick, fluffleupagus, fluffy banter, stick and fluff