Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Student wins case against anti-Christian teacher

http://www.christianpress.com/us/stu...n-teacher.html

What do you believe is the proper consequence for the teacher in question, and for other teachers who use the classroom to promote either an Anti or Pro Christian ideology?

What about other ideologies or agenda's? What is appropriate for the classroom and what is overstepping ones authority as a teacher?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

public schools need to maintain their secular structure.
otoh there can be discussion of religion, and religious philosophies, without crossing the line.
the fact that only one comment by this teacher was found to violate the rights of the student leads one to believe this case made a mountain out of a molehill.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Judge: Teacher violated kids' rights by calling creationism 'nonsense'

By Gillian Flaccus, Associated Press Writer
SANTA ANA, Calif. — A federal judge ruled that a public high school history teacher violated the First Amendment when he called creationism "superstitious nonsense" during a classroom lecture.

U.S. District Judge James Selna ruled Friday in a lawsuit student Chad Farnan filed in 2007, alleging that teacher James Corbett violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment by making repeated comments in class that were hostile to Christian beliefs.

The lawsuit cited more than 20 statements made by Corbett during one day of class, which Farnan recorded, to support allegations of a broader teaching method that "favors irreligion over religion" and made Christian students feel uncomfortable.

During the course of the litigation, the judge found that most of the statements cited in the court papers did not violate the First Amendment because they did not refer directly to religion or were appropriate in the context of the classroom lecture.

But Selna ruled Friday that one comment, where Corbett referred to creationism as "religious, superstitious nonsense," did violate Farnan's constitutional rights.

Selna wrote in his ruling that he tried to balance Farnan's and Corbett's rights.

"The court's ruling today reflects the constitutionally permissible need for expansive discussion even if a given topic may be offensive to a particular religion," the judge wrote.

"The decision also reflects that there are boundaries. ... The ruling today protects Farnan, but also protects teachers like Corbett in carrying out their teaching duties."

Corbett, a 20-year teaching veteran, remains at Capistrano Valley High School.

Farnan is now a junior at the school, but quit Corbett's Advanced Placement European history class after his teacher made the comments.

Farnan is not interested in monetary damages, said his attorney, Jennifer Monk of the Murrieta-based Christian legal group Advocates for Faith & Freedom.

Instead, he plans to ask the court to prohibit Corbett from making similar comments in the future. Farnan's family would also like to see the school district offer teacher training and monitor Corbett's classroom for future violations, Monk said.

There are no plans to appeal the judge's rulings on the other statements listed in the litigation, she said.

"They lost, he violated the establishment clause," she told The Associated Press in a phone interview. "From our perspective, whether he violated it with one statement or with 19 statements is irrelevant."

The establishment clause of the First Amendment prohibits the government from making any law establishing religion. The clause has been interpreted by U.S. courts to also prohibit government employees from displaying religious hostility.

Selna said that although Corbett was only found to have violated the establishment clause in a single instance, he could not excuse or overlook the behavior.

In a ruling last month, the judge dismissed all but two of the statements Farnan complained about, including Corbett's comment that "when you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth."

On Friday, Selna also dismissed one of the two remaining statements, saying that Corbett may have been attempting to quote Mark Twain when he said religion was "invented when the first con man met the first fool."

Corbett has declined to comment throughout the litigation. His attorney, Dan Spradlin, did not immediately return a message left Monday by The Associated Press.

Spradlin has said, however, that Corbett made the remark about creationism during a classroom discussion about a 1993 case in which a former Capistrano Valley High science teacher sued the school district because it required instruction in evolution.

Spradlin has said Corbett was simply expressing his own opinion that the former teacher shouldn't have presented his religious views to students.

Farnan's family released a statement Friday calling the judge's ruling a vindication of the teen's constitutional rights.

The Capistrano Unified School District, which paid for Corbett's attorney, was found not liable for Corbett's classroom conduct.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
ray_sir_6

ray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the rough

So long as there are facts that he is using to support his side, I'm all for it. Of course, that could just aggravate religious people even more, cause most of their stuff is just a belief, with no fact or evidence to prove it.

If the kid wants the teacher to stop belittling/berating his religion, he needs to step up and say, "I find that offensive." and the teacher has to stop. If he continued after such, or similar, warning, the teacher was wrong.

I do believe Christianity/Catholicism had a big role in the course he was teaching (European History), and that would have been a good area to discuss during the class. I do like his comment, "And then you put your Jesus glasses on, you can't see the truth."
ray_sir_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I wish that guy had been my teacher. There was so much implicit, and sometimes explicit, Christian influence in my public high school, it would have been nice to have someone take the other side.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

It's really incredible, absolutely incredible, that there are still people in the modern world who are ignorant enough to deny evolution. Really, why not deny still that the earth revolves around the sun?

And for the life of me, I have no clue how or why people have it in their heads that the ideas of a evolution and a supreme being somehow preclude each other. I'm a firm believer in both. In fact, I think they go hand in hand. If there is a god, it makes perfect sense to me that he would give his children the ability to adapt to their surroundings.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

if there is a god that created all life, it makes no sense to me that god would be male.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
if there is a god that created all life, it makes no sense to me that god would be male.
Me neither, but "he" is just a bit less abrasive than "it" for some people.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It makes less sense to me that he would be required to make sense to us.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
It makes less sense to me that he would be required to make sense to us.
there you go with that "he" again.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Me neither, but "he" is just a bit less abrasive than "it" for some people.
true perhaps...but there are a lot of people who get extremely fired up at the suggestion that "god" might be a woman.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I get bossed around by no woman.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
there you go with that "he" again.
well, until he tells me otherwise . . .
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
ray_sir_6

ray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the roughray_sir_6 is a jewel in the rough

Last edited by ray_sir_6; 05-15-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
It's really incredible, absolutely incredible, that there are still people in the modern world who are ignorant enough to deny evolution. Really, why not deny still that the earth revolves around the sun?

And for the life of me, I have no clue how or why people have it in their heads that the ideas of a evolution and a supreme being somehow preclude each other. I'm a firm believer in both. In fact, I think they go hand in hand. If there is a god, it makes perfect sense to me that he would give his children the ability to adapt to their surroundings.
"God?" Maybe. Christian God? Muslim God? Any other religion's God? A God who's main goal so to speak is to tend to humans? I say nay to those notions.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
ray_sir_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
"God?" Maybe. Christian God? Muslim God? Any other religion's God? A God who's main goal so to speak is to tend to humans? I say nay to those notions.
I think that if there is a god, that we are nothing more than a TV soap opera to it/them. They don't do anyhting for us, except if it makes things more interesting for them, but mostly just sit back and let everything happen. Why would they care about humans more than any other animal? We are all animals to a higher being.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
I think that if there is a god, that we are nothing more than a TV soap opera to it/them. They don't do anyhting for us, except if it makes things more interesting for them, but mostly just sit back and let everything happen. Why would they care about humans more than any other animal? We are all animals to a higher being.
I really doubt that all animals are the same to you.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

don't tell his goat about that new sheep.... goats can get very jealous
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #18
bobatundi
Golden Member

i'm the god of my fishtank.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ckWEqGF40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kW74Er_4o
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
are you a flufftian?, fluff the tragic dragon, fluffy banter, i eat dragon.