Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

View Poll Results: Did the MVP rumor/announcement hurt Steve Nash's and the Suns VS LA
NO 9 39.13%
YES 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Post Did MVP Announcement Hurt Nash/Suns VS LA?

It certainly seems to me that the rumor/announcement that Nash would be named MVP has fueled Kobe Bryant in this series. Oddly, it fueled Kobe to do the unthinkable, adjust his game as a true MVP would, and become a critical part of the "team concept." Prior to the beginning of the season I would have unequivocably given Kobe the title of "Best Player in Basketball" albeit with some hesitation due to the onset of King James in the East. I would never have considered his selfish 61, 82 point tirades or any other part of the regular season worthy of MVP consideration. But now, Kobe is playing like a true MVP.

Kobe: "That fa**it Nash, he's not the MVP, I am!"
Phil: "Kobe, if you think you are the MVP, start fu*kin playing like one and start making your teammates better!"
Kobe: "Fine! Mr. Zen-I'm-the-Dali-Lama's-white-cousin tell me how to do it?"
Phil: "You've been a one man show all year, stop jacking every damn shot, and start passing the ball unless you feel 100% sure you'll make it!"
Kobe: "So if I do this...we'll win the series?"
Phil: "We'll see a game 7."
Kobe (with a big stupid as$ Kobe grin): "Ok, I'll do it."
Old 04-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Yeah.

You wonder if Nash might not be wired in such a way that he feels guilty about being named MVP the second time, especially when he most likely didn't deserve it?

He seemed a little subdued the other night, and looked like he didn't really want to go back at Kobe, which of course he definitely should've.

Bird would've.

Maybe Dirk will too one day. That's the other aspect of Nash winning when Dirk was probably more deserving--will it finally inpire a little spiteful competitiveness in Dirk?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Of course. It's a farce and a slap in the face of Kobe Bryant.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I sure hope so... I'm hoping the second greatest point guard in nba history gets bounced in the first round. Quite fitting actually.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If a player needs to step up his game because of an announcement and cannot do it because it is a playoff game, he probably isn't much of a player to begin with.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Say what you want about already excited, don't need extra motivation but the fact is that if you are personally insulted, you will be more revved up then norm.

I think Kobe defintely took the MVP as a personal insult and possibly also the reason (distributor vs dominator) as an extra personal diss.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I understand where you are coming from and don't necessarily disagree in principle. But one of the knocks on showbe has been that he doesn't get up for all of the games. That's kinda lame imho. Certainly he is selfish.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I don't think it's distracting Nash, but I do think it's making Kobe and the Lakers more fired up to win the series.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean compete with energy and effort by get up, I disagree. I think Kobe brings 100% every night. If you mean do what it takes to help his team win, I kind of agree, usually in the form of getting his teammates involved and trusting them.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ahem. <bump>
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote