Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-03-2006, 01:21 PM   #161
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
just a note, Artest is not in the top 5 in defensive rating for this year.
I think you hang your opinion on that website a bit too much...

With that said, Jeremiah, you are CRAZY!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #162
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I think you hang your opinion on that website a bit too much...

With that said, Jeremiah, you are CRAZY!
Then I am included with everyone else. It is the premer site for basketball stats.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #163
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

No, I didn't say that you shouldn't weigh it into your opinion at all, but you act like Kobe or LeBron aren't amazing offensively because they aren't on a top 5 list... Then you insinuate that Artest isn't a top 5 defender becasue he isn't on that list...

Sure, it factors in, but it shouldn't be THE deciding factor. I challenge you to get everyone else to agree that it is. If you don't think Artest is a top 5 defender, you my friend, are as crazy as Jeremiah for wanting to select him #2 overall.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #164
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I am not using it as the only factor. I just put that as a note. People are on here saying he is THE elite defensive player. I don't think he is. I think he is a very good defender, probably one of the top 5, but in no way ELITE like some people say he is. And I cerntainly would not say he is one of the best overall playersin the NBA. He is a solid basketball player. When you are elite, you totally shut down the opposing teams best offensive player. Look at my posts above in this thread. Kobe, Dirk, Lebron, Melo, Marion, Redd, and so on and so on have torched Sac when they have played them this year. And not to mention, the second threat on each of these teams has torched them as well. Odom, Howard, Bell, Simmons. I could really care less anymore. If people want to take hime, be my guest. I just hope you never become a GM>
Old 05-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #165
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I am not using it as the only factor. I just put that as a note. People are on here saying he is THE elite defensive player. I don't think he is. I think he is a very good defender, probably one of the top 5, but in no way ELITE like some people say he is. And I cerntainly would not say he is one of the best overall playersin the NBA. He is a solid basketball player. When you are elite, you totally shut down the opposing teams best offensive player. Look at my posts above in this thread. Kobe, Dirk, Lebron, Melo, Marion, Redd, and so on and so on have torched Sac when they have played them this year. And not to mention, the second threat on each of these teams has torched them as well. Odom, Howard, Bell, Simmons. I could really care less anymore. If people want to take hime, be my guest. I just hope you never become a GM>
68, I'm not trying to knock you man, I just saw a pattern between those two threads so I pointed it out. I personally do believe he is an elite defender. Guys torch other elite defenders though, as it does happen. Few here would disagree with Bowen being a great defender when he isn't dirty; however, Bonzi is making him his bitch... You just have to REALLY make it hard on your opponent and a lot of it is matchups, (Bonzi is too strong for Bowen)...

And how can you say he is not one of the best players in the NBA. He is the best player on an NBA franchise that is in the playoffs pushing the Spurs to the brink... Give him some respect man...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #166
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

i
Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #167
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

All I know is look at the 180 Sacramento did when he arrived... That should tell you a little about his importance to the team!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #168
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

yes, they turned around their season from 18-25 to 25-14, a 7 game improvement. But they also got Wells back from his little stint of not playing at the same time. But, anyway you look at it, they did turn around their season.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #169
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
yes, they turned around their season from 18-25 to 25-14, a 7 game improvement. But they also got Wells back from his little stint of not playing at the same time. But, anyway you look at it, they did turn around their season.
Well, they were 10-15 with Bonzi prior to him going down, so I certainly don't see him as the reason the season turned around. Regardless, I think we both know that Artest was VERY important to that turnaround.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #170
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm actually willing to bet he was misquoted here.. does anyone else remember when he was on Quite Frankly right before the season and said he was probably only a top 30 player?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #171
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

He wasn't misquoted.

CMI: Chris Myers with controversial Ron Artest (Linkage)
/ FOX Sports Net

Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest has earned his reputation for being one of the NBA's most controversial and unpredictable players, starting with his involvement in the 2004 Pacers-Pistons brawl, continuing with his subsequent season-long suspension and culminating with his decision to force his way out of Indiana. However, Artest has quickly made a positive impact on the Kings as one of its leading scorers and brought a new defensive toughness to the team.

Now, Chris Myers sits down with Artest as he discusses his reasons for leaving the Pacers, his newfound happiness playing with the Kings and how he once broke Michael Jordan's ribs in a pick-up game.

Since he joined the team, Artest has helped catapult the Kings from draft lottery status to having a legitimate shot at capturing the No. 5 playoff seed in the Western Conference. Artest's hard-nosed play has rubbed off on his teammates and Kings' coaches are praising his lockdown defense and his ability to easily blend in with his new teammates. Myers talks with Artest about his new squad and whether his addition to the team gives the Kings a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run.

Excerpts from CMI: Ron Artest

"I think I'm in the top two. Pick whomever else you want. But I think I'm in that category."
- Ron Artest, when asked to name the NBA's best player

Artest (being with the Sacramento Kings): "It is not necessarily ‘happy to be out of Indiana,' but I am happy to be in Sacramento if that makes any sense. I had a lot of good times in Indiana, but I'm definitely happy. It's one of my best moments being an NBA player, being in Sacramento…Mike Bibby has been nothing but a friend and all the guys are the same way. It's been a joy being around the Sacramento Kings."

Artest (reasons for leaving the Pacers): "A lot of things led up to me just wanting a change and I probably went about it the wrong way…it was unprofessional…I could have went about it a different way, but I think it's working out for the better.."

Artest (whether he would still be with Indiana if the 2004 brawl never occurred): "Oh yeah, definitely. It would've been nothing but good times. There would have been no brawl. There would have been no frustration on my part. My attitude about playing basketball, the way I play and the way I approach games is different from a lot of other players, so I had a lot of other incidences before the brawl and the brawl just added onto it."

Artest (on being suspended): "It wasn't fair at all. You look back at the days Larry Bird used to fight Charles Barkley. The NBA was built on that and guys still talk about that on TNT…it still wasn't like I started trouble. It was like somebody started trouble with me, you know what I'm saying? It wasn't like I went into the stands because someone was talking to me. Someone threw something at me so I was pissed off."

Artest (playing against Kobe Bryant): "I love playing against him. He's got a really good offensive game. He's playing really good defense these days. I remember a couple years back he was averaging like 35 or 40 points in a 10 game stretch, and I came to L.A. and he had 18 points, you know. So I was like, ‘Man, where's my greatness?'"

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 03:43 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote