Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #41
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

BTW while i was mentioning wing defenders i cant believe i didnt think of bowen. Again not necesarrily better than artest but he is also on that same level.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #42
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
BTW while i was mentioning wing defenders i cant believe i didnt think of bowen. Again not necesarrily better than artest but he is also on that same level.
True, Bowen certainly does have an edge on Artest in terms of what he can get away with when guarding his man. I mean, do you think Artest could drop-kick a player in the face without getting a major fine and suspension?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:19 AM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

hehe. No. I love that clip. Other than the Vince dunk over weis in the olympics that could possibly be my favorite basketball clip ever.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #44
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

For those of you who don't know, Bruce Bowen drop-kicked Wally Szczerbiak in the face. Worthy of Chuck Norris.

You can view the clip of it here.

Last edited by orangedays; 03-20-2006 at 12:42 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #45
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future
Default More crazy from the 'Test

Ron Artest: "I don't know if I'm built for America"
by Nebojsa Petrovacki / March 24, 2006

Why are the Kings playing so much better with you on the team?

Ron Artest: I mean, it’s just me, you know. It was just a matter of time for it to happen. We need to play hard. Hard every night…

What do you bring to the team – defensive prowess or something else?

RA: We work well together, it’s not just me. The point is playing hard, and doing it every single night.

How did you fit in the whole Kings’ run-and-gun style of basketball which was evident before you joined the team?

RA: It was pretty easy, you know. It’s just basketball, and if you play like a team, everything will work for everybody.

You played Kobe in the Staples Center. Is he the hardest defensive assignment in the league?

RA: He is one of them. If he’s not hard, I don’t know who is.

Who are the others?

RA: (pauses) Kobe… Mm-hm… Kobe… He’s a great player. He’s, you know, unstoppable.

Would you let anyone score 81 points on you?

RA: I’m hoping not (laughs). But, if it happens, you have to forget about it.

What makes him such a tough player to defend – his quickness, his range or something else?

RA: He does everything. I mean, he plays both ways, his range, his quickness, his post-up, shot, everything.

There were a lot of rumors that you might not fit too good in a small market town such as Sacramento. How did you fit in there?

RA: That was just people talking, that wasn’t true. It was just people talking.

How do you feel in the city? Do you frequent Vlade Divac’s club Tunnel 21, or his restaurant L’Image?

RA: I don’t go too much about the city. It’s definitely one of the better cities out there, because the view is so beautiful. Every day you get to have a beautiful view if you go and drive out on the highway. I love it.

Can you imagine yourself playing in Sacramento even after your option to leave in 2008?

RA: My mind is open, you know. There are so many of these young players coming in try to get our jobs and they deserve it. But, I’m open…

Who’s going to win the championship first, Kings or Pacers?

RA: Kings.

Why?

RA: That’s just how it’s gonna be.

Who got the better side of the deal when Kings traded Peja for yourself?

RA: Kings, definitely. You’re asking me a question, and you already know what the answer is going to be (laughs). I’m always going with myself first and then everybody else.

There was a lot of talk about this guy or that guy not making Team USA, but nobody mentioned you, even though you are a de facto best defensive player in the NBA. Are you surprised about it?

RA: That’s how it’s set up. That’s how the community and the media set it up, so that they wouldn’t mention my name. And, by the time I was supposed to get to play, it was too late. They already picked the team. They didn’t want me on that team, so it was OK.

Why do you think they didn’t want you?

RA: Why? ‘Cause I’m that type of guy, you know. They want classy people, and I’m not classy. You know what I’m saying? I’m not classy. They want people who are built for America, you know. I don’t know if I’m built for America.

You are described as this ogre, this monster, and, in fact, you are one of the nicest guys to talk to in this league. What do you say to that?

RA: It’s alright, I mean. Life is life, it’s OK. I’m not worried about anything other people say.

Don’t you feel that it’s a little bit unjust?

RA: No, it’s not unjust. It’s how people are, it’s how people think, you know. Some people think how they think, and I think how I think. I do what I do and it’s OK.

How are the things with your label Tru Warier these days?

RA: Right now, I’m just working on my project right now. I write my own stuff. It’s actually coming together right now. It’s going to be out pretty soon, probably like July 1.

How do you compare these two activities of yours – basketball and music?

RA: Music is a different art, it uses more of your mind, even though in basketball, you also need to use your mind to succeed. It’s just that in music you need to use your mind a little bit more.

Nebojsa Petrovacki is the editor of Sportska Centrala, a sports news agency from Serbia-Montenegro
Old 03-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #46
Artest is the best!

Artest is the best! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne
He's for me the best two-way player.
thats probably what he meant.
Artest is the best! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #47
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Missing person

By DWAIN PRICE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DALLAS -- If anyone knows Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest, it's Fran Fraschilla.

Fraschilla recruited Artest out of La Salle Academy in New York and was his college coach during Artest's freshman year at St. John's University. In a nutshell, Fraschilla has seen more of Artest's temper tantrums than he cares to remember.

However, there's one quality about Artest that Fraschilla will always defend.

"Anybody who says he's a bad guy off the court is totally mischaracterizing him," Fraschilla said. "He's really a good guy.

"He gets in trouble because of his temper. The weird part about it is he would not be the same player without this competitive streak."

Artest's game -- and his competitive streak -- will be on display at American Airlines Center at 7:30 tonight when the Kings (38-36) face the Mavericks (55-19).

Artest has revitalized the Kings since they acquired him from the Indiana Pacers on Jan. 25 for Peja Stojakovic. The Kings were 18-24 and going nowhere before Artest's arrival and are 20-12 since and in the Western Conference's eighth playoff spot.

Fraschilla never doubted Artest would be an NBA standout, but he did wonder whether Artest, now in his seventh season, could get a handle on his emotions.

"The problem with Ronnie is he plays on the edge, which means he sometimes goes over the edge," said Fraschilla, an ESPN college basketball analyst who lives in the Dallas area. "But when he channels that energy, he's probably one of the five, six or seven best players in the league.

"Ronnie's a freak of nature athletically and strength-wise. To be that big (6-7, 260) and that strong, the only guy that comes to mind is John Mackey, who was a tight end with the Baltimore Colts when I was growing up."

Fraschilla says away from basketball, Artest is different.

"He's the type of guy that when he was in Indianapolis, I know for a fact that he would get out of the car after a ballgame, in 20-degree weather, and hand a homeless guy a $100 bill and get back in the car and drive away."

Artest created a national stir when he was in the center of a Nov. 19, 2004, brawl between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons that spilled into the stands. After a fan tossed a cup filled with liquid at him, Artest charged into the stands, leading to an altercation with fans.

The NBA subsequently suspended Artest without pay for the remaining 73 games of the 2004-05 season and the playoffs. Then, 16 games after returning to the Pacers this season, Pacers president Larry Bird said he felt betrayed when Artest demanded to be traded.

So far, though, it seems the Kings have been the big winners of the Ron Artest Sweepstakes.

"If he can keep it on the court, you're essentially getting a guy that's definitely one of the best defenders in the league," said Kings center Brad Miller, who also played with Artest in Chicago and Indiana.

During his 32-game stint with the Kings, Artest is averaging 17.4 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 2.1 steals in 40.4 minutes.

"I'm doing the same thing that I did [with the Pacers] over here, but it's just a little bit better for me," Artest said. "I was blessed to get a good situation, because it could've easily gone against me.

"I could've been somewhere where I wasn't happy. This is the first time in a long time that I've been complimented for leadership skills."

Elton Brand and Artest played youth AAU basketball together for four years for Riverside Church in New York. They also were Chicago Bulls teammates from 1999 until Artest was traded to the Pacers on Feb. 19, 2002.

"His personality hasn't changed that much at all," said Brand, who now plays for the Los Angeles Clippers. "I think the things he does or has done are misconstrued. It's all about him wanting to win."

Brand was almost Artest's teammate again. A deal for the Clippers to acquire Artest from the Pacers for Corey Maggette was squashed when Maggette failed a physical.

"We needed that cat," Clippers point guard Sam Cassell said. "He's a beast."

Three games after Artest's arrival in Sacramento, the Kings defeated the Denver Nuggets 98-91. Before the game, Artest told Nuggets coach George Karl that the Kings would regroup and qualify for the playoffs, even though they were 18-26 at the time.

"I thought they were a little too far out [of the playoffs], so I must say I'm a little surprised," Karl said Sunday while the Nuggets were in Dallas to face the Mavericks.

It's that kind of impact that had numerous teams, including the Mavs, inquiring about Artest before he was traded to the Kings.

"I think everybody knows we were very interested in Ron and we, as an organization, have a tremendous respect for him," Karl said. "He has defensive toughness and focus. It seems like [the Kings now play] with more purpose at the defensive end of the court, and they have a stopper.

"Offensively, he's a little bit behind. But defensively he's still the man, and he's still one of the top five defenders in basketball."

And it's because of that ability that Artest will likely draw the assignment tonight of guarding Dirk Nowitzki, who scored 30 points in Sunday's 103-79 win over the Nuggets.

"He's going to be in Dirk's face 24-7," Mavs forward Josh Howard said. "So we've just got to be out there ready to help him."

IN THE KNOW

Artest at a glance

Some highlights and lowlights of Ron Artest's career:

the Good stuff

Averaged 13.1 points and 6.3 rebounds per game in two seasons at St. John's.

At age 19, chosen in the first round (No. 16 overall) of 1999 NBA Draft by the Chicago Bulls.

Selected to the All-Rookie second team after averaging 12 ppg and 4.3 rpg in the 1999-2000 season.

League leader with 3.29 steals per game for every 48 minutes played in the 2002-03 season.

Runner-up for the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award in 2002-03.

NBA's Defensive Player of the Year for the 2003-04 season.

Named an NBA Eastern Conference All-Star in 2004.

are you kidding?

Before his rookie season he applied for a job at Circuit City to get an employee discount.

Once attended a Bulls practice wearing a bathrobe over his practice uniform.

Broke two of Michael Jordan's ribs in a pickup game in June 2001.

Traded by the Bulls to the Indiana Pacers on Feb. 19, 2002.

Suspended three games by the NBA and fined $35,000 in 2003 for destroying video equipment at Madison Square Garden.

Suspended by the NBA for four games in 2003 for a confrontation with Miami Heat coach Pat Riley.

Suspended for two games early in the 2004-05 season by the Pacers. He had reportedly asked coach Rick Carlisle if he could take a month off because he was tired from promoting an album on his production label.

Key figure in a Nov. 19, 2004, brawl that spilled into the stands at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Suspended by the NBA on Nov. 21, 2004, for the remainder of the season (73 games and the playoffs) for his part in the brawl. Lost $4,995,000 in salary.

Last December, after playing 16 games, he was fined $10,000 and placed on the Pacers' inactive list after requesting to be traded.

Traded by the Pacers to the Sacramento Kings on Jan. 25.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:35 AM   #48
orangedays
Platinum Member

Hm. For me, simply having a bad temper does not justify the things that Ron has done. Plenty of people are highly competitive - Kobe, Garnett. You leave that competitiveness on the court, and you most certainly do not take it into the stands regardless of what happens.

You just don't throw TVs or start riots. You sit tight - realize it's just a game - and let it slide. Doesn't matter if you're a professional athlete or a high school athlete. I'm sure Artest is a nice guy - but he needs to learn self-control
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #49
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

I for one think that Artest's suspension was an overreaction by the league. These idiotic Detroit fans should have been punished one after another.

Stephen Jackson literally beat soeone down and didn't get nearly the suspension Artest got. They all should've gotten a break for 30 games, but Artest out for the regular season and the playoffs was just too much.

I'm not saying it was the right thing for him to do, but I could understand it in some way. He ran into the stands and even asked the guy if it was him who threw the beer. - The TV-team that televised the game even said how rude these fans were and how Detroit should get punished for that incident. It was only afterwards that ESPN and the rest of the league's slaves started to blame Artest for it all, because they knew they'd have to find one bad guy to put all the blame on, otherwise the league-image would suffer.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #50
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I don't remember Artest gingerly walking up in the stands and asking the guy if he threw a beer, then casually patting the gentleman on the arm. I seem to remember him lying on his back, a beer hitting him, then ARtest, like a drunken fan, running, RUNNING, into the stands wildly going after a guy who didn't even throw the beer and punching him. He shoulld have been kciked out of the league. Stephen Jackson also should have been suspended for the rest of the year.
If you look at the replay of the incident, if the man actually threw the beer, there would be no beer in the cup to get ARtest wet because of the distance the cup would have traveled. The man was just laughing unctrolably at the WOMAN that was behind him who threw the beer. Go back and look at it again. The man was attacked for basically laughing at Artest. He will never be cut any slack on my part for the actions he took that night in Detroit.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #51
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

no.

What the guy who Jackson beat up (who was right next to artest during the confrontation, and then got beat up because he threw ANOTHER beer) testified was that Artest stormed into the stands, grabbed the guy he thought had thrown the beer (the wrong guy, btw) and held him with his fist cocked and said "did you throw it?" over and over again, but never actualy hit him or anything. (and then after a few moments of this he, of course, threw his own beer on Artest and Jackson, and got stomped. Brilliant)
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #52
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

The original beer that started it all was thrown by the woman that was just a little behind the scorers table. When Artest jumps up, you can see her arm extended, and she has this, Holy shit look on her face, like OMFG he is coming into the stands.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #53
orangedays
Platinum Member

The video can be viewed here.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

There's some analysis, etc. available.

In the video you can see the cup hitting Artest...him going into the stands...the infamous O'Neal punch...

Watching it again...just shocking.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-04-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #54
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I don't think he's the best 2 way player, because his offense is crap. Do you remember 2 years ago when he personally took the Pacers out of the playoffs. Because he started trying to play offense.
To me the only 2 way player in the league is probably Kobe. Everyone is weak on one end. I mean as far as being top 5-10 on both sides of the ball. With Wade And Bron being close, but they haven't proven it on the defensive side yet.
Hell I'd say The #2 on both sides is Marion. So there you go
Artest is not in the top 2.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #55
orangedays
Platinum Member

What's your take on KG & TD?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 PM   #56
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
The original beer that started it all was thrown by the woman that was just a little behind the scorers table. When Artest jumps up, you can see her arm extended, and she has this, Holy shit look on her face, like OMFG he is coming into the stands.
This is true, but Artest did NOT punch that guy that he went after. That's a proven fact, and to say he should have been kicked out of the league is utterly ridiculous. Dennis Rodman and Vernon Maxwell did WAY more in their run ins with fans than Artest did.

Stephen Jackson should have had the longest suspension for actually attacking someone in the stands, and Jermaine O'Neal being suspended was the most ridiculous of all. O'Neal never set foot in the stands, all he did was punch a fan that was ON THE COURT, and was bowing up looking for a fight.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #57
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211
I don't think he's the best 2 way player, because his offense is crap. Do you remember 2 years ago when he personally took the Pacers out of the playoffs. Because he started trying to play offense.
To me the only 2 way player in the league is probably Kobe. Everyone is weak on one end. I mean as far as being top 5-10 on both sides of the ball. With Wade And Bron being close, but they haven't proven it on the defensive side yet.
Hell I'd say The #2 on both sides is Marion. So there you go
Artest is not in the top 2.
You might want to go check some stats before saying something as ridiculous as "his offense is crap". Take a look at his last three years or so, and tell me how they are "crap".

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #58
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
I don't remember Artest gingerly walking up in the stands and asking the guy if he threw a beer, then casually patting the gentleman on the arm. I seem to remember him lying on his back, a beer hitting him, then ARtest, like a drunken fan, running, RUNNING, into the stands wildly going after a guy who didn't even throw the beer and punching him. He shoulld have been kciked out of the league. Stephen Jackson also should have been suspended for the rest of the year.
If you look at the replay of the incident, if the man actually threw the beer, there would be no beer in the cup to get ARtest wet because of the distance the cup would have traveled. The man was just laughing unctrolably at the WOMAN that was behind him who threw the beer. Go back and look at it again. The man was attacked for basically laughing at Artest. He will never be cut any slack on my part for the actions he took that night in Detroit.
You are the perfect exemple for the media's influence on us. Artest DIDN'T PUNCH THE GUY. He basically got suspended for a whole season because he grabbed someone from the stands and asked him a couple of times if he threw that beer.

Like jthig said, Jackson should have been suspended for the longest time and I found it pretty cool actually that O'neal beat that little punk down, after he came on the court looking for trouble although noone ever attacked him.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 04-04-2006, 01:58 PM   #59
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

the entire incident was Artests fault. everything that happened was Artests fault. His punishment was his fault. Jackson had to hit that guy because of ARtest. Oneil had to hit the other guy because of Artest. The fans booed and threw stuff at ARtst becuase of himself. That whole entire thing was Artests fault and no one elses fault. Jackson should be help accountable for what he did as well as Oneil, as well as Artest.

So from your estimation, a player running frantically into the stands laying his hands on another person, whether it be hitting or grabbing, is ok? No, the media did not influence me at all. I know what I saw, and I saw it millions of times. Artest should be gone recording records and promoting his record label.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
the entire incident was Artests fault. everything that happened was Artests fault. His punishment was his fault. Jackson had to hit that guy because of ARtest. Oneil had to hit the other guy because of Artest. The fans booed and threw stuff at ARtst becuase of himself. That whole entire thing was Artests fault and no one elses fault. Jackson should be help accountable for what he did as well as Oneil, as well as Artest.

So from your estimation, a player running frantically into the stands laying his hands on another person, whether it be hitting or grabbing, is ok? No, the media did not influence me at all. I know what I saw, and I saw it millions of times. Artest should be gone recording records and promoting his record label.
The whole thing was Artest's fault? That's laughable. How about Ben Wallace starting the whole damn thing? How about the idiot that threw the beer in the first place. How about the idiot Detroit fans that turned it into a riot.

This was FAR from the first time a player had entered the stands. Hell, Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters jumped into the stands in full pads and helmets and beat on some fans. Should they have been banned from football?????

There were a ton of people at fault for the incident, and Artest's punishment was way out of line with everyone else's.

Certainly not saying it's ok. It's not. He deserved at least as many games as Jackson got. But the whole damn season and playoffs was too much.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #61
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

please watch the video. Tell me, what is the first thing that Artest does to the guy once he reaches him?

He takes his ass to the ground. That is what happens. He doesn't grab him and ask him any questions. He takes him to the ground until the rest of the people around pull him off of the guy.

http://media.putfile.com/NBA-Fights---Ron-Artest-2
Old 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM   #62
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

And Also, what causes Ben wallace to hit ARtest, becuase of Artests cheap as foul and hitting him in the head,. Watch the video. it is that easy.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #63
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:

It's quite obvious that you do not know what you saw. Because punching is not grabbing someone.

And just remember who started the whole thing, it was not Artest. - Ben Wallace started to go nuts, because Artest fouled him (a foul that the referee saw and for which Wallace would've gotten his FTs, it was a normal foul that you should be used to playing in the NBA, especially as a "bad boy" like Ben Wallace). Afterwards Artest cooled down, he tried everything he could to go out of Wallace's way. Then Ben Wallace tries to go after him a second time and then throws a towel.

Artest is still calm and actually tried everything to let this situation pass without any further violence up to the moment when some shit-head decides to throw a beer at his head.

So you can blame Ben Wallace for going after Artest as the first person to make the situation escalade, you can blame the morron in the stands who threw that beer, but it certainly wasn't Artest who started all of this.

By the way, Ben Wallace should have been suspended for at least 20 games for that incident.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #64
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Artests actions, from flagrantly fouling ben wallace, to not controlling himself when a cup of beer lands on him, an f'ing cup of beer, to him rushing into the stands. What do you expect the people to do when something like that happens. kick back and let Ron beat the crap of him?> geez
Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #65
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
It's quite obvious that you do not know what you saw. Because punching is not grabbing someone.

And just remember who started the whole thing, it was not Artest. - Ben Wallace started to go nuts, because Artest fouled him (a foul that the referee saw and for which Wallace would've gotten his FTs, it was a normal foul that you should be used to playing in the NBA, especially as a "bad boy" like Ben Wallace). Afterwards Artest cooled down, he tried everything he could to go out of Wallace's way. Then Ben Wallace tries to go after him a second time and then throws a towel.

Artest is still calm and actually tried everything to let this situation pass without any further violence up to the moment when some shit-head decides to throw a beer at his head.

So you can blame Ben Wallace for going after Artest as the first person to make the situation escalade, you can blame the morron in the stands who threw that beer, but it certainly wasn't Artest who started all of this.

By the way, Ben Wallace should have been suspended for at least 20 games for that incident.
This is quite funny. No, it wasn't Artests fault. HAHA. pleae jog back up there and check out the video. he did not grab the guy. He threw him to the fround. Granted it was not a punch, but a throw to the ground. my fault.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #66
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
The video can be viewed here.

EDIT: Fixed the link.

There's some analysis, etc. available.

In the video you can see the cup hitting Artest...him going into the stands...the infamous O'Neal punch...

Watching it again...just shocking.
Shocking to me was the over-reaction surrounding this incident.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #67
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The whole thing was Artest's fault? That's laughable. How about Ben Wallace starting the whole damn thing? How about the idiot that threw the beer in the first place. How about the idiot Detroit fans that turned it into a riot.

This was FAR from the first time a player had entered the stands. Hell, Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters jumped into the stands in full pads and helmets and beat on some fans. Should they have been banned from football?????
There were a ton of people at fault for the incident, and Artest's punishment was way out of line with everyone else's.

Certainly not saying it's ok. It's not. He deserved at least as many games as Jackson got. But the whole damn season and playoffs was too much.
YES. There is absolutely no reason EVER to go into the stands.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #68
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Artests actions, from flagrantly fouling ben wallace, to not controlling himself when a cup of beer lands on him, an f'ing cup of beer, to him rushing into the stands. What do you expect the people to do when something like that happens. kick back and let Ron beat the crap of him?> geez
I expect the people to not throw anything at Artest. That should be the least someone could ask for.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #69
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
YES. There is absolutely no reason EVER to go into the stands.
There is no reason to throw anything at a player as well. But if someone does, it shouldn't surprise if a player does go into the stands.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #70
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
I expect the people to not throw anything at Artest. That should be the least someone could ask for.
So beccause someone threw something at him, a cup of beer, he has the right to run up there and confront him? If so, then why not when there is an outrageous fan calling you every name in the book. Run up there then and take him down. It's called, get security to take him out of the stadium. That simple. But with Artest small brain, he couldn't conprehend that. Instead, first thing he thought of was to rush the guy.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 PM   #71
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
There is no reason to throw anything at a player as well. But if someone does, it shouldn't surprise if a player does go into the stands.
Why didn't AI run into the stands after the guy who threw a quater at him during the game, why didn't Jimmie Johnson run into the stands after the people who were throwing snowballs at him, why didn't Michael Irvin run into the stands at the fans who were throwing batteries at the team?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #72
Arne
Golden Member

If a fan calls you "every name in the book", then do the same to him. But if someone attacks a player, he should really not be surprised by any reaction.

Don't talk about the incident as if the fans were innocent.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 PM   #73
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Why didn't AI run into the stands after the guy who threw a quater at him during the game, why didn't Jimmie Johnson run into the stands after the people who were throwing snowballs at him, why didn't Michael Irvin run into the stands at the fans who were throwing batteries at the team?
Were they attacked a few moment s before by some anabolic stereoids using beast from the east? Was their adrenalin already as pumped up as Artest's was?

Why didn't Ben Wallace just let the referee decide about a foul? Wouldn't the situation be solved like that?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:38 PM   #74
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I am sorry, let me clarify this.
I just watched the video again and exactly what Artest did was put his hand on the gentlemans face, then proceeded to shove him to the ground.
In my book, that does not count as grabbing a gentleman and asking him if he threw a beer at me.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #75
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Ok, Ben Wallace did the right thing, the fan throwing the beer did the right thing and all the other fans throwing beer, chairs and whatever they could get did the right thing as well. Ofcourse and god bless America where there is always only one black sheep...

We might just have to agree to disagree, because this discussion seriously doesn't lead anywhere, since you have already pointed out who you thing is responsible for everything. Just like the media after that incident and just like Mr. Stern...

Last edited by Arne; 04-04-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #76
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
And Also, what causes Ben wallace to hit ARtest, becuase of Artests cheap as foul and hitting him in the head,. Watch the video. it is that easy.
Since when do hard foults cause riots???

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #77
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Ok, let ME clarify something. Clearly what Artest did was not cool. He deserved to be punished. You are right, you can not go into the stands. What I am discussing is the level of punishment. You seem to think any breaking of rules deserves a lifetime ban from the NBA for some reason.

He broke the rules, he was punished, I'm simply saying that he was punished too much. And to blame the entire thing solely on Artest is both ignorant and small minded.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-04-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #78
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I am not saying Ben nor the people did stupid stuff. they did, and the people faced cahrges for what they did. But Ron flagrantly fouled Ben, he took his head off. We see people all the time retaliate, uh Jerry a few weeks ago with Horry, Shaq a few years back going after Brad Miller. That is not a new thing. Yes Ron tried to get away from Ben, of course, he was about to get his ass kicked. Did the fan have the right to throw stuff at him? no, by no means. But, Ron, being the cool guy that he was being at the time, should not have run into the stands and attack a person.
Just like Dale Davis, or whoever it was went into the stands this year, he had NO right. And rightfully so, he was punished.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #79
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yeah, well Antonio Davis got 5 games........

Granted he did it in a much calmer manner, but it's not like going into the stands is an automatic 80 game suspension.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #80
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, let ME clarify something. Clearly what Artest did was not cool. He deserved to be punished. You are right, you can not go into the stands. What I am discussing is the level of punishment. You seem to think any breaking of rules deserves a lifetime ban from the NBA for some reason.

He broke the rules, he was punished, I'm simply saying that he was punished too much. And to blame the entire thing solely on Artest is both ignorant and small minded.
This was not breaking the rules like he traveled or something. He freaking physically assaulted someone who might or might not have thrown a beer at him. A FREAKING BEER. It is not like he threw a hand grenade at him. Yes whoever threw the beer is definately in the wrong, and he should be banned from NBA games. But Artest flipped. He went Psycho. He should not be in the NBA, he should be in counseling.