Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #81
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Yeah, well Antonio Davis got 5 games........

Granted he did it in a much calmer manner, but it's not like going into the stands is an automatic 80 game suspension.
Yes, and Antonio Davis didn;t physically assault the guy either.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #82
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
This was not breaking the rules like he traveled or something. He freaking physically assaulted someone who might or might not have thrown a beer at him. A FREAKING BEER. It is not like he threw a hand grenade at him. Yes whoever threw the beer is definately in the wrong, and he should be banned from NBA games. But Artest flipped. He went Psycho. He should not be in the NBA, he should be in counseling.
That's fine. You can believe that if you want. But you have to apply that same logic to everyone. Vernon Maxwell and Rodman would've gotten lifetime bans as well.

Also, I don't see how you can say he "went psycho". Obviously he lost it, but are you really saying you have to have some sort of problem in order to lose it when someone hits you with a beer? I know plenty of guys with a bad enough tember to get into it with someone that threw a beer on them.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:01 PM   #83
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

when you rush into a crowd of 50,000 not knowing who did what to you but you are on a mission to kick someones ass in that crowd, I would call that crazy.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #84
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

OK, mabey a lifetime ban is a bit much. But before I would let someone that did that back in the league, he would have to do a whole lot to get back in. A years suspension would be first, then some type of psych evaluation, cause what ever you say, there was something not clicking right when he did what he did, then some community service. Mabey donating alot of money to some type of charity. He came back after his suspension and kept saying crazy things and evetually pretty much got kicked off his team.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #85
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Quote:
I am not saying Ben nor the people did stupid stuff. they did, and the people faced cahrges for what they did. But Ron flagrantly fouled Ben, he took his head off. We see people all the time retaliate, uh Jerry a few weeks ago with Horry, Shaq a few years back going after Brad Miller. That is not a new thing. Yes Ron tried to get away from Ben, of course, he was about to get his ass kicked. Did the fan have the right to throw stuff at him? no, by no means. But, Ron, being the cool guy that he was being at the time, should not have run into the stands and attack a person.
Just like Dale Davis, or whoever it was went into the stands this year, he had NO right. And rightfully so, he was punished.
Artest did boxing for a couple of years, so I'm not so sure if he would've been about to get his ass kicked, if he had really wanted to fight.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #86
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I would put my $$$ on Artest in a steel cage match between the two lunatics (Bwallace and Artest)
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #87
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

there is a difference in boxing, and fighting. There both from the street so it would be interesting.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #88
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
there is a difference in boxing, and fighting. There both from the street so it would be interesting.
Um, Artest has a pretty rough backround, if I recall correctly. I would imagine he's been in his fair share of street fights.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #89
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i just put in an application at circuit city too..to get that discount
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #90
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just sayin'...if I had to start something with an NBA guy--I mean absolutely HAD to--I'd get it on with that puss Ben Wallace a lot more often than I would with Artest. Artest would hurt me. In ways I didn't know I could be hurt.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:04 AM   #91
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I would put my $$$ on Artest in a steel cage match between the two lunatics (Bwallace and Artest)
I'd put my money on a 7-foot black-belt who has survived REAL violence.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #92
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fight

Trust me a guy that can box can beat "someone from the street" Being tough is nice and if you have equal or close to equal fighting skills it will determine the winner but knowing how to fight is the biggest determing factor in who wins a fight.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:45 AM   #93
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
when you rush into a crowd of 50,000 not knowing who did what to you but you are on a mission to kick someones ass in that crowd, I would call that crazy.
50,000...wow....that is one big arena.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:16 AM   #94
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
I'd put my money on a 7-foot black-belt who has survived REAL violence.

Who is the seven foot black belt?

From ESPN:

Ben Wallace: 6'9" tall 240 lbs.
Ron Artest: 6'7" tall 260 Lbs
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #95
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Mbenga is a black belt.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #96
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Who is the seven foot black belt?

From ESPN:

Ben Wallace: 6'9" tall 240 lbs.
Ron Artest: 6'7" tall 260 Lbs
uh....I wonder.......

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #97
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
You might want to go check some stats before saying something as ridiculous as "his offense is crap". Take a look at his last three years or so, and tell me how they are "crap".
i don't have to look at his stats, his offense doesn't help his team. He's a one-on-one guy, with a weak one on one game. almost Any player in the league could compile #'s if they have the ball in there hands, and the shots.
As far as his #'s, other than Shots per game, and points per game, which are relative, his are similar if not worse than Antoine Walkers and Bruce Bowens.
So stats are stats, who cares. I'm looking at his game, not stats
Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #98
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

It's interesting, though RonRon's arrival has been the catalyst behind the King's recent revivalist movement - he has been playing some of the most offensively-inefficient ball of his career as a King: .388 FG% (career-low; first time sub-.400 in career) and .305 3P% (career-low).

This surprises me considering how many open-looks and lay-ups he must be getting in the Sacramento system.

The Kings are only +3.1 pts/100 offensively with Artest on the court but a stunning -6.5 pts/100 defensively. The rest of their offensive numbers look pretty much the same though they do improve rebounding (a big weakness) by 2.3% with Artest on-court.

While characterizing Artest's offense as 'crap' may be a stretch - Artest's biggest influence on the game as a King has certainly been on the defensive end.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-05-2006 at 02:17 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #99
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
It's interesting, though RonRon's arrival has been the catalyst behind the King's recent revivalist movement - he has been playing some of the most offensively-inefficient ball of his career as a King: .388 FG% (career-low; first time sub-.400 in career) and .305 3P% (career-low).

This surprises me considering how many open-looks and lay-ups he must be getting in the Sacramento system.

The Kings are only +3.1 pts/100 offensively with Artest on the court but a stunning -6.5 pts/100 defensively. The rest of their offensive numbers look pretty much the same though they do improve rebounding (a big weakness) by 2.3% with Artest on-court.

While characterizing Artest's offense as 'crap' may be a stretch - Artest's biggest influence on the game as a King has certainly been on the defensive end.
Yeah I agree. Certainly his biggest impact is defensively. But I also don't expect him to continue this way offensively with the Kings. He'll turn it around. The last few years in Indiana he was an above average offensive player pretty much across the board.

Calling his offense crap is ridiculous.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #100
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i think im one of the best looking idiot in the world.....according to me
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #101
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
i think im one of the best looking idiot in the world.....according to me
Me too
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #102
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you watch the game tonite when he was guarding Ginobili. He nullified him. I actually felt sorry for Ginobili, then I realized he's Argentine, and it made me smile when he got punked over and over by Artest.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #103
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

sometimes I am ridiculous
but hey I don't like his game, I like hi D, but I'm not impressed with his offense. Although he does look a little better in Sac than Ind
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #104
sike
The Preacha

"Calling his offense crap is ridiculous."
what if I call you "crap" is that so ridiculous?

Artest is an idiot....but I like him Sac Town

Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #105
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to become a huge Ron-Ron fan in a couple weeks.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:58 AM   #106
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Chris Paul considers him the MVP of the second half of the season.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #107
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ron artest never needs to be mentioned in the same sentence as mvp without the word not in between them.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:42 AM   #108
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Bonzi/Bibby show out there. Artest is a decent defender and all but Artest looks like a Bonzi clone more than the other way around.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #109
Arne
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Its the Bonzi/Bibby show out there. Artest is a decent defender and all but Artest looks like a Bonzi clone more than the other way around.
Why did they suck then at the beginning of the season? Yeah, because Artest was not there.

In game two (when Artest was out) Ginobilli had 32/9 on 50% shooting.

In all the other games (when Artest defended him) Ginobilli had 7 PPG (!!!) on 39% shooting.

Don't underestimate Artest. He's the best defender in the league. Period.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #110
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

hmmm
Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #111
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

"decent defender"

Understatement of this hour, at least.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #112
sike
The Preacha

shutting down the vastly overrated Manu has been a beautiful sight...

Old 05-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #113
Five-ofan
Guru

et herego proc (i think)
Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM   #114
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #115
Five-ofan
Guru

So assuming lebron would go first you would take ron effing artest over Dirk, Kobe, Duncan, Wade etc? You have lost your damn mind.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #116
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #117
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Yeah, that's pretty nuts. He'd be top 20 on my board, but second? Um no.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-02-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #118
Five-ofan
Guru

The funny thing is you mention two players that are BETTER than artest as guys that would be there in the second round but fail to mention that artest would be there if you didnt take him.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #119
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hmm, I dunno. I'd defintely take Artest over Brand. Pierce...before this year? I'd have thought about it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #120
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 11:43 AM.