Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Ball Smoating Accident.

Ah, Chuckster......
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Charles is awesome!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Really this article could go anywhere....

Barkley: 'I Do Have a Gambling Problem'

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 3, 2006
Filed at 9:43 p.m. ET
BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- Charles Barkley says he has a gambling problem, estimating in an interview that he's lost about $10 million over the years.
''My agent has really worked with me to try to get it where I can go and gamble and have fun,'' Barkley told ESPN in an interview Wednesday. ''That's easier said than done. Do I have a gambling problem? Yeah, I do have a gambling problem. But I don't consider it a problem because I can afford to gamble.''
Barkley said he's not concerned about his habit because he has enough money to cover his losses, though he did say he hoped to wager less money.
''When I gamble I should be playing $1,000 a hand instead of $20,000 a hand, because if I played for $1,000 a hand I probably could lose $50,000 to $100,000 a hand instead of millions of dollars,'' Barkley said. ''And I've got to reach a happy medium because I've told all of the people in my life that first and foremost it's my money.''
Barkley said the thrill of competition has a lot to do with his urge to wager. ''I like to gamble and I'm not going to quit,'' he said. ''I've just got to get it under control.''
Barkley, elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame last month, averaged 22.1 points and nearly 12 rebounds in a 16-year career that included stops in Philadelphia, Phoenix and Houston. He was the league's MVP in 1993, and he won gold at the '92 Barcelona Olympics as part of the original U.S. Dream Team.
Recently, golfer John Daly said in his upcoming autobiography that he has lost between $50 million and $60 million during 12 years of heavy gambling, and that it has become a problem that could ''flat-out ruin me'' if he doesn't bring it under control.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

How can anyone lose so much money? I get pissed when I lose a bet for a cup of coffee.

Seriously...50-60 million? How the heck do you get that far?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a ridiculous figure. Daly lost so much that he can only estimate how much he lost within a $10 million. It's not a "oh, I lost 50-51 million dollar" problem, it's a "oh, I lost anywhere from $50 to $60 million dollars."

Knowing Barkley though, he must have been cheated quite a few times on his bets. how does he know who won when, like he himself said it, he doesn't spend time on the internet nor watch the games, as evident by his commentary?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Barkley is such a loser.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If you believe either of these guys, you are crazy. Consider this quote from Barkley:

Quote:
''When I gamble I should be playing $1,000 a hand instead of $20,000 a hand, because if I played for $1,000 a hand I probably could lose $50,000 to $100,000 a hand instead of millions of dollars,'' Barkley said.
If he played for $1,000 a hand he could lose $50K or $100K a hand? Huh? I guess he means a session. So...instead of millions of dollars a session. I'm sure Barkley plays about fifty sessions a year. Millions of dollars a session? C'mon, now.

Obviously, Barkley exaggerates. He loses millions of dollars a session--which would be only 50K to 100K if he played tighter with his money--yet he is down only 10MM lifetime? Nah.

If there's one thing gambler like to do, it's to exaggerate the stakes they play at.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
If you believe either of these guys, you are crazy. Consider this quote from Barkley:

If he played for $1,000 a hand he could lose $50K or $100K a hand? Huh? I guess he means a session. So...instead of millions of dollars a session. I'm sure Barkley plays about fifty sessions a year. Millions of dollars a session? C'mon, now.

Obviously, Barkley exaggerates. He loses millions of dollars a session--which would be only 50K to 100K if he played tighter with his money--yet he is down only 10MM lifetime? Nah.

If there's one thing gambler like to do, it's to exaggerate the stakes they play at.
I completely understand your point, but surely he wins some too. That would make up SOME of the difference you have pointed out.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

thats his point. He is saying neither has lost as much as they say they have. Add that to the fact that at some point you have to win some money and it makes it incomprehensible for it to be true. Plus for daly he never had 50 million to lose.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote