Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
demosthenes247

demosthenes247 is on a distinguished road
Default Kwame Brown Under Investigation for Sexual Assault

May 2, 2006 - The LAPD is investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault involving Lakers player Kwame Brown.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...rts&id=4136876

According to a police statement, the assault allegedly happened early in the morning on April 29th.

Brown is accused of assaulting a woman in a hotel somewhere in the Los Angeles area. Investigators are not disclosing the name of the hotel, the location or a time of day. The Los Angeles district attorney's office reports that LAPD's Robbery Homicide Division is handling the investigation. That division is appointed whenever a high-profile personality is involved.

Brown is from Charleston, South Carolina. He skipped college to go pro and was a first round draft choice for the Washington Wizards. In the off-season he was traded to the Lakers.

Brown is expected to start in the Lakers game against Phoenix tonight.
demosthenes247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Poor kid chose the wrong guy as a mentor.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Genious

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

And Reggie Evans isn't?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

So wait, Kwame 'assaults' this girl in the 'early morning' of the 29th - presumably the only time that nobody in the Lakers organization can account for him.

No complaint or report is filed when it took place or even by the next evening; Brown proceeds to play 35 minutes on April 30?

I'm calling shenanigans.

Last edited by orangedays; 05-02-2006 at 07:26 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea pretty sad isn't. He sees the rapist called michael jordan, the mvp of the league...Great and he got away with it no problem.

Monkey see monkey do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really see how anybody can call anything, since we don't really have any details.

Why the rushed judgement?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Poor kid chose the wrong guy as a mentor.
Ba-zing!!!!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I don't really see how anybody can call anything, since we don't really have any details.

Why the rushed judgement?
Shenanigans = I think some girl is trying to make a quick buck.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
Shenanigans = I think some girl is trying to make a quick buck.
I understood what you meant. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion with such little information. Its neither fair to assume Kwame's guilt or to assume that the "victim" is financialy motivated. All we know is that there is an investigation. Why do people feel the need to take sides without knowing a single detail?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 05-02-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Something to do.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Kwame pulls a Kobe.....

I hope Kobe feels real good about himself right now

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What is up with Lakers and hotels and rape charges???
Old 05-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
What is up with Lakers and hotels and rape charges???
its the strippers they have at their parties
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #15
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I understood what you meant. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion with such little information. Its neither fair to assume Kwame's guilt or to assume that the "victim" is financialy motivated. All we know is that there is an investigation. Why do people feel the need to take sides without knowing a single detail?
Details:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
So wait, Kwame 'assaults' this girl in the 'early morning' of the 29th - presumably the only time that nobody in the Lakers organization can account for him.

No complaint or report is filed when it took place or even by the next evening; Brown proceeds to play 35 minutes on April 30?
For me, it's a matter of inference, not a 'jump-to-conclusions'. Based on the information available to me, I've come to a conclusion. I don't believe that's unusual. Perhaps you would like to chastise those who state that Kwame has pulled a Kobe? It would seem as though they are guilty of the same thing you are accusing me of. Back on point: I fail to see any reasonable person failing to report a sexual assault for two whole days. Especially in this particular instance, where a celebrity is involved. Well, unless that 'reasonable person' spoke to her friends, said "Hey! I hooked up with Kwame", and her friends said, "Really? Wanna make some money?" Of course, if the complaint was filed previously, then my inference would be incorrect.

Last edited by orangedays; 05-03-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have no feelings about what happened with Kwame one way or the other, but your logic is WAY off base.

You really think that women never struggle with the decision on whether or not to come forward after being sexually assaulted? Really?? Honestly?? You really don't think thousands of women are a victim of sexual assault and never tell ANYONE about it? Sexual assault is a very humiliating, violating experience. Women make the wrong decision and keep it to the themselves all the time.

Is it really that far fetched to think that she simply didn't know what to do, finally confided in the correct person, and that person got her to come forward?

Again, I have no clue what the situation is, and I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But to say that because she didn't scream it from the rooftops 5 minutes after it happened she must by lying is just plain silly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-03-2006 at 08:49 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

OD, you need to re-read my post if you think I didn't say anything about people unfairly accusing Kwame.

And please don't tell me you believe you think just because someone doesn't immediately report sexual assault means they must be lying. That's one of the oldest rape myths out there. There are a variety of reasons why women don't immediately report a sexual assault - shame, fear, embarassment, mental trauma...just to name a few. Its akin to thinking that a girl "asked for it" because her skirt was too short.

Last edited by mary; 05-03-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #18
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, I have no feelings about what happened with Kwame one way or the other, but your logic is WAY off base.

You really think that women never struggle with the decision on whether or not to come forward after being sexually assaulted? Really?? Honestly?? You really don't think thousands of women are a victim of sexual assault and never tell ANYONE about it? Sexual assault is a very humiliating, violating experience. Women make the wrong decision and keep it to the themselves all the time.

Is it really that far fetched to think that she simply didn't know what to do, finally confided in the correct person, and that person got her to come forward?

Again, I have no clue what the situation is, and I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But to say that because she didn't scream it from the rooftops 5 minutes after it happened she must by lying is just plain silly.
Exactly, it is such antiquated thinking - and personally dissappointing to hear from someone I consider to be an intelligent person.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Old 05-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:

My logic? The logic that I used to build an opinionated conclusion on the matter? It would appear that you (and mary's) understanding of what I am trying to say is flawed.

I agree with you, it's certainly not far-fetched to believe that she struggled with the decision to come forward. It is equally not far-fetched to believe that she is doing this for the money, not because Kwame actually sexually assaulted her. Neither conclusion is wrong at this point - I don't understand why you and mary have such a problem with my opinion?

You'll note that I never said anywhere that she must be lying, or that Brown was undeniably innocent. Merely, "Based on the information available to me, I've come to a conclusion." Perhaps I should have replaced the word conclusion with the word, "opinion" to satisfy the more sensitive palates on this board.

And no, I am not saying that, "just because someone doesn't immediately report sexual assault means they must be lying." There are many reasons why women do not come out and report such a psychologically damaging episode, some of which were outlined above. I think you two are trying to blow what I am saying well out of proportion based on an imperfect understanding of what I said. Perhaps my choice of words was imperfect, allow me to fix them a little for the sake of clarity:

'I fail to see any reasonable person involved in an alleged sexual assault with such a high profile individual failing to report said sexual assault for two whole days. Though the grammar here may suggest it, I am making no statement on the psychological health or decision-making capabilities of the woman, merely the suspect timing of the complaint. In addition, the fact that the alleged assult supposedly occurred in the early morning also suggests that something is amiss to me.'

Tap the breaks. Or better yet, stomp'em. Let's try not to organize a witchhunt unnecessarily, yes?
Old 05-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #21
mary
Troll Hunter

Its funny that you mention breaks, since you are the one ready to throw a possible sexual assault victim under the bus because you believe its possible that she waited to report something (nevermind the fact that the date of the report has not even been mentioned).

I fail to see how the fact that the accused is a high-profile athlete means that a woman isn't being "reasonable" if she doesn't report a sexual assault immediately. In fact, it would probably generate even more fear, especially considering how society seems to view such women as people who are just out to make a quick buck.

Cool it with the witchunt references. You're out of line on this one. I like you, but not enough to give you a free pass for such a ridiculous post.

Last edited by mary; 05-03-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #22
mary
Troll Hunter

Its suspect that it supposedly happened in the morning? I really don't even know what to say to that one.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #23
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Its funny that you mention breaks, since you are the one ready to throw a possible sexual assault victim under the bus because you believe its possible that she waited to report something (nevermind the fact that the date of the report has not even been mentioned).
"Under the bus"? Goodness mary. A person puts an opinion on the table and suddenly he's condemning another person? I'm confused as to why you're so strongly against my expressing my opinion.

And perhaps you missed this little nugget: "Of course, if the complaint was filed previously, then my inference would be incorrect" from post #15.

Quote:
I fail to see how the fact that the accused is a high-profile athlete means that a woman isn't being "reasonable" if she doesn't report a sexual assault immediately. In fact, it would probably generate even more fear, especially considering how society seems to view such women as someone who is just out to make a quick buck.
So wait. You are saying that society views such women as, "someone who is just out to make a quick buck." Then, you're questioning me for...sharing that opinion? If society...society...holds this opinion, why are you so surprised when a member of that society presents it? (My apologies for being a smart aleck here).

But back on point - let's ignore the rationale behind my opinion for a moment. It would appear that I have offended you with my words, which was certainly not my purpose (you know I heart you mary). I am a staunch supporter of rape victims and believe that rape is one of the worst crimes perpetrated by humans on other humans, so please do not castigate me as some heartless schlub damned to antiquated thinking. That being said, something just doesn't smell right with this particular scenario. If you believe I am jumping to conclusions, well, I'm sorry but I can't really change how I feel.

Quote:
Cool it with the witchunt references.
Cheerfully withdrawn.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Very solid post.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote