Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default Mavs at Hornets: Game Five Loss

...And so it ends. The Mavs' season is over, and it actually feels more like a relief than it should. That's how this season turned for the worse.

The only good thing that came out of this game (other than having to watch again) is that the Mavs did make enough of a run to make the game competitive. After being down double digits, Dallas ended up having the game essentially come down to one possession.

Funny thing about that one possession. Stack got two technicals tonight and cost the team two points. Maybe that isn't so funny after all.

Dirk went the entire game. He gave the team 22 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 assists, and he did it while going against the entire Hornets team. The Hornets sent waves of guys at him and basically dared anyone else to beat them. No one could. Really sad to see Dirk go down that way.

Jason Kidd and Jason Terry both had very respectable nights. Kidd finished with 14 points and 9 assists. Terry had 13 points and 9 assists. You'd probably like to see Terry's scoring a little higher, but the Hornets zeroed in on him as being the Mavs' only other legitimate threat. They tried hard to take him away.

Damp played less than 8 minutes. Useless.

Josh Howard played 30 minutes, and he was almost as useless. He got off to a nice start, and then he completely faded. I was bothered by his body language all night too.

Brandon Bass really made me proud. That guy was battling so hard all night long. He played physical and worked through all the contact. Some of those close shots didn't fall for him, but you can forgive him. He nearly gave you a double-double, and he looked like one of the best Mavs on the floor. That either says something about him or his teammates.

Jerry Stackhouse played 27 minutes. He scored 11 points, but he was inefficient. I guess Avery decided to go down with his guys, hoping that the old Stack would come through. It just never happened though.

I thought Devean George gave the team a nice lift. His shot was going, and he was bringing the energy. Made you wish you had seen more of him.

But the Hornets were clearly the better team in this series. Ultimately, what the Mavericks must ask themselves is whether or not the Hornets should have looked so much like the better team? No matter what you think, these Mavs are finished now.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to go ahead and say thank you to the Mavericks. It wasn't the ending we all wanted, but you kept me intrigued and very hopeful. It was a short ride, and painful, but I still appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for a great series Dirk and Bass.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

four biggest causes for defeat in my opinion:

1. Shooting- the Mavs simply could NOT make shots despite what I believe were plenty of good looks

2. Josh Howard's vanishing act- need I say more? What'd he finish for the series as far as shooting %? like 28%? not good enough.

3. Chris Paul- what can you do... I don't know of any team in the NBA that can stop him. ALTHOUGH I believe the schemes in game 1 and 2 by Avery were horrible, which brings me to

4. Avery Johnson- I don't know if we would've won this series with a different coach, but Avery IMO did not MAXIMIZE our chances of winning this series. Thus, did a poor coaching job. The bizarre rotations again (tonight wasn't too bad), the defensive schemes of game 2... I just didn't like it, although perhaps if the team hit more shots it would've been a different story.

What is it about the lids on the basket for this team in the playoffs for the past 2 years?

ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

oh and thanks for another season of great write-ups ddh.

d-m.com wouldn't be the same without ya.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought avery gave away the first two only to figure it out in the last ones (his mo). Josh Howard as bad as he was should have been given some of stacks minutes in the second half.

Avery had stack, bass, george on the bench. George didn't see the first for some reason.

You have to say that the jkidd was a bad move, he just wasn't able to impact this team down the stretch.. Whether that's the system or the player...probably both.

The mavs were outplayed the whole series. The hornets made their shots, were quicker and wanted it more. I think that's a testament to the players not having faith in what they were doing. But certainly having your second banana (josh) completely dissappear was hard. Stack wasn't even close from the corner.

Yuck.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Thank you for the recaps all season long. It's actually one of the things that I look forward to

You're absolutely right that the Hornets are the better team. From the coach all the way to the bench the Mavs got themselves beaten bad.

This series gives everyone a clear view of who should remain in this team and who should be booted. I'm heartbroken about the loss, but I'm also relieved that this series is over and the off season will most likely bring major changes.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I'm pleased with the season, really. I've seen a lot of crappy Mavs teams walk on the court over the years. I think this team is better than the team that went home last year. I expect some off season activity. I don't know if Avery is first to go, but it's either Josh or Avery.

I think Josh is salvageable, but not with Avery as coach. I think, in the end, we all see that Avery just isn't a good offensive coach. The best thing they can do is take a shot a JO from Indiana, but it's going to cost them. Otherwise, we will see. I would not be surprise to see Donnie go as well. At this point, I would not be surprised to see new ownership.

Should be interesting. See you all next year. It's been a good year for dallas-mavs.com

Thanks again ddh33 for missing only 1 game in my memory. Your as much a warrior for this board as Dirk is for the Mavs.

JT

Last edited by jacktruth; 04-29-2008 at 09:00 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone an idea where to listen to the press conferences ?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
thurst0509

thurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to allthurst0509 is a name known to all

Great recap as always ddh. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks again for doing these - I always love reading them after the game.

Thanks for the effort tonight Mavs. They sure did go down fighting.

Feels weird that there are no more Mavs games to look forward to. I can't help but think the players feel some relief right now. As soon as that final horn sounded, the players' facial expressions just looked like they were glad to be done with this crazy season. And as sad as I am that the season is over, I feel the same. I'll be sad to see this team broken up, but I'm also eager to see the changes this offseason.
thurst0509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

GOOD LUCK NEXT SEASON
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, ddh.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

No point in picking this game apart.

Thanks to Mavericks for 8 great years. See you in 4 years when you finally get back to the playoffs...

And good luck to you Dirk. I'll be a fan of yours wherever you end up. For your sake, I hope you get out of Dallas, you deserve a championship ring.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #14
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for another great season, DIRK!

We had some awesome times this season, ups and downs but the lone star was DIRK.

I feel for him but we will come back next year with a vegance. I guarantee DIRK will win a ring before he retires.

It just depresses me how hard DIRK works all year to be failed on again and again.

Thanks for another year of write ups ddh. You da man!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 AM   #15
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh-danged it...

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, of Germany, walks off the court after the Mavericks' 99- loss to the New Orleans Hornets in Game 5 of an NBA basketball playoffs first-round series Tuesday, April 29, 2008, in New Orleans. Dallas was eliminated from the playoffs. AP
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

poor Dirk...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #17
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That picture is f*cking sad.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #18
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

jerry stackhouse was more bone-headed than josh howard in tonight's game.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #19
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

yet another year of dirk's prime....wasted

time to blow it up and get a legit second scorer for terry and howard...if they could somehow turn josh ganja howard and terry into maggette and artest, the team might have a chance next year.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #20
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I feel so bad for Dirk. The guy leaves it on the court every game. He works his ass off every summer to get better and has to come to another disappointing end.

ddh33, thanks for all the recaps. Good or bad you'll always deliver.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Fatally Flawed right ddh?

I'm also actually relieved....thought it would be more painful, but it was time....

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2

Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, of Germany, walks off the court after the Mavericks' 99- loss to the New Orleans Hornets in Game 5 of an NBA basketball playoffs first-round series Tuesday, April 29, 2008, in New Orleans. Dallas was eliminated from the playoffs. AP

Why did you do that?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

At least the Suns suck too.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 AM   #24
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Evil's pic

Basketball and the NBA make me tired.. but a guy like Dirk keeps me interested.

2008-2009....... go Mavs!

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi
2. Josh Howard's vanishing act- need I say more? What'd he finish for the series as far as shooting %? like 28%? not good enough.
it's not just the lack of scoring, it's that he doesn't do ANYTHING when he's not scoring. he pulled down some boards on the stat sheet, sure, but watching the game, he had a complete and utter lack of effort.

A stretch in the fourth (pretty sure it was the fourth) sums it up. On defense, he's guarding paul. Chandler comes over to set a screen, and (no lie) there is about 3 feet of space when paul goes around the pick. Howard goes UNDER the screen. With THREE FEET of space for him to actually try and fight over the screen! of course paul pulls up for an open jumper and hits it.

A few plays later, josh has the ball on offense. Dirk is posting up. Josh makes the LAZIEST bounce pass i've ever seen. It's so lazy, wright (who actually is guarding josh) is the one that cam simply take two steps back and pick off the pass!

Then, on the hornets fast break (may have been after the same lazy bouce pass, so hey, at least josh may have gotten back on D), it's a 2-on-1 with wright (i believe), and pargo. pargo eventually gets the ball, and josh is in perfect position to go up and challenge the shot. he simple stands under the bucket and watches pargo convert the easy layup.

that, my friends, is simply lack of effort, which is inexcusable.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #26
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Re: Evil's pic

Basketball and the NBA make me tired.. but a guy like Dirk keeps me interested.

2008-2009....... go Mavs!
Hell Yes. Things may look bleak right now, but I would bet that our Mavs and especially our Big German aren't going to fade away, quietly, weakly into oblivion after this terrible first round loss. Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and hopefully that will prove to be the case for our Mavs in this upcoming 08-09 season...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-30-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 AM   #27
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Gosh-danged it...

Like the Greeks who set siege upon Troy, and Macarthur the Phillipines, Dirk Nowtizki shall return.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:18 AM   #28
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Congratulations to the Hornets. They were the better team and they earned it. No foul play, no unfair refereeing, no lucky wins. The shot well, they were patient and never panicked, they shared the ball, they had great energy. Just, all the the things you need to win.

Three players disappointed me the most:

Jason Kidd
Erick Dampier
Josh Howard

Nothing what Kidd did in the playoffs justified the decision to bring him over here, absolutely nothing. He was a non-factor...

Those put-backs and offensive rebounds by Chandler absolutely killed us, probably more than anything. Dampier was useless throughout the series...

No need to talk about Josh anymore. I think he just lacks the right mindset to be a player you can count on.

Kidd probably will be kept for next season, but I wouldn't mind to exchange him for someone like Hinrich or Ridnour, I'd like to switch Josh for Magette if that's possible.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #29
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Fatally Flawed right ddh?

I'm also actually relieved....thought it would be more painful, but it was time....
Yeah for some reason, the loss tonight didn't hurt as badly as I thought it would. Maybe I accepted the fact that this team wasn't a championship team many, many weeks ago or maybe this loss definitely will force change this off-season.

After Miami, Cuban gave it another go.
After Golden State, again he was persistant.

You know what they say, the third time is the charm. Make something happen Cuban. I still have faith in this franchise, but mostly I have faith in Dirk Mo'fuggin' Nowitzki.

Go Mavs

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #30
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the write ups DDH33. We all look forward to them after every game. And when you don't do them, we're like WTF! haha.

Anyway, tough season for everybody. From the fans to the players. I bet Cuban needs another hip replaced. I think we just need to fire AJ, and do something. It's terrible that we have no picks, and are way of the salary cap. I'm sure Cuban will do something drastic....I honestly would like to keep Josh Howard. I think he just needs a new mentor. Maybe losing Devin Harris, and having AJ on your ass all the time is causing some inner pain ?

Last edited by MavsX; 04-30-2008 at 07:21 AM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #31
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default Dallas Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki finishes 'another wasted year'

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki tried deep breaths and long pauses, but his mind and heart told him Wednesday was no time for diplomacy.

Not with Avery Johnson out as coach. Not after a second straight Mavericks first-round playoff humiliation. Not with who-knows-what on the horizon.

"For me, personally, I feel like it's another wasted year," he said. "I'm in my prime right now. I'm almost 30 now, so I feel like I wasted another great opportunity to win the title and bring it here to Dallas."

Nowitzki figured there was no way he would find himself in an even worse vantage point than last year, when his 67-win Mavericks were toppled by Golden State.

This time last year, Nowitzki could rationalize that the Mavericks were maybe a player or two from returning to title contention, that they simply drew a bad playoff matchup.

But now the Mavericks are a considerably older team, with no head coach. Nowitzki said "the way we represented each other on the court, nobody should be safe." On three occasions, he addressed next season by mixing in the phrase "if I'm going to be here."

"The way we played, we were a first-round exit," he said. "Just one coach, I don't know if just a new coach can fix it all. So I'm sure there will be some player movements."

Nowitzki, who turns 30 on June 19, just completed his 10th season as a Maverick. He has played for only two coaches, Johnson and Don Nelson.

He praised Johnson for taking the franchise to its first NBA Finals berth in 2006, adding "we owe him a lot." He also disputed any assertion that he and his teammates lost faith in Johnson this season, saying "we gave it our best until the very end."

But when pressed about whether the Mavericks took advantage of Jason Kidd's strengths after he was acquired on Feb. 19, Nowitzki took a deep breath.

"I mean, we probably could have opened it up more, a little more free-flow, let Jason create and not just make him a weak-side spot-up shooter. But, you know, Avery had us believe in his system."

But it doesn't sound as if Nowitzki would favor hiring a replacement in the mold of Phoenix's Mike D'Antoni.

"Obviously, we've got to bring a coach in that brings out the best out of what he's got here," Nowitzki said. "Open up the offense a lot more, run. But still a guy who knows how to coach defense in the league.

"You don't basically want to go back to the Nellie days where we just run and gun and have fun and we got scored on every time down, either. That's obviously not the solution to get where we want to get to."

He joined the franchise when it was one of the worst in sports. He has been the one constant through eight straight 50-win seasons.

His next objective is to help Germany qualify for the Beijing Olympics. Then?

"Come back a better player, a better person, if I'm back, give it another try."
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...k.317b583.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote