Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
The following from an educated Suns fan. Maybe displaced from Texas? Any Mav fans could not sum it up better.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/(BloggerFormerlyKnownAsTom (Tom7264), March 22, 2007 02:18PM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Finally Dirk Nowitzki can not make the big shot or free throw."

Except when he nailed that jumper over Marion in December. Remember that one, dimwit?

"When I look at the Mavs playing, I dont feel it's a teamwork effort although they have the best record in NBA right now."

You must be a farking genius! LMFAO!

"If Nash and Dirk swapped team, the Mavs can be a better team than the Suns having Dirk."

Really? How come the Mavs got BETTER when Nash left? That is my argument for MVP. When Nash left, the Suns got much better. If the Mavs had a corresponding drop in games won then sure, give Nash the award, but they didn't. Nowitzki filled in as the focal point for that team. Every year he adds something new to his game. Every year he is asked to do more and he always delivers more. When Nash left the Mavs were a better team. They all had to rely on each other with Dirk being the go to guy. Anybody notice that Dirk's fadeaway is as close to money as anybody elses shot in the game today? The Suns lose when Nash goes out not because Nash is great (and he is) but that the talent around Nash is poor when compared with the Mavs. I know people are going to crap all over themselves when I say this, but Stat and Matrix are mirages. They benefit from Nash. Neither can create their own shot or dribble to save their lives. You are at the mercy of your point guard. Dirk is the best player on a team full of talent and his numbers are with anybody else in the league. He scores, he rebounds, he now plays D and his passing has really taken off this year. The guy deserved it last year and he certainly deserves it this year. (Lou2588, March 22, 2007 02:14PM)
This just needed to be said again. How do I give that guy rep???
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #162
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Notes From Courtside:

Prior to the game I spoke with a couple members of the Cleveland and Indiana organizations respectively. Granting them anonymity, I asked them to share their thoughts on this year's MVP race. Here are the key points that interview subject number one made:

* The MVP selection process is so "subjective" that he "does not give a crap" about it or really dwell on who will win. That being said, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant are all worthy of winning the award this year because each of their teams would be much worse without their main guy. Tim Duncan also deserves to be mentioned in this group.

* The Suns play a style of defense that matches their personnel. They do not have a great paint presence as a team, so they want to not foul, give up twos as opposed to threes, keep the clock moving and run teams out of the gym. I then asked if this style can be effective in the postseason, especially considering that the Suns are just 2-6 against Dallas, San Antonio and Utah. Whether or not this style can win a title, the Suns have no choice but to play this way based on how their roster is put together; they don't have the personnel to be a grind it out, lock down defensive team. On the other hand, the Spurs are equally able to run or slow the game down. The Spurs rank near the bottom of the league in forcing turnovers and in offensive rebounding because their philosophy is to get back on defense and force the other team to shoot contested shots in a half court set; that is why the Spurs are number three in defensive field goal percentage and number one in scoring differential.

Interview subject number two answered immediately that Dirk Nowitzki should be this year's MVP "without question." He cited not only Dallas' record but Nowitzki's high level of play and how much it has contributed to that success. The remainder of his ballot would include, in no particular order, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett. Arenas caught my attention because I certainly would not place him that highly; I mentioned his poor shot selection and shooting percentage. My interview subject agreed that those things are true but said that despite those things Arenas still often "comes out smelling like a rose" and leading his team to victory. As for Garnett, he said that even though "Minnesota is getting their head beat in" that you have to give props to KG because he is very productive.

I also spoke with a writer who has been an MVP voter in recent years; the NBA rotates voting duties among various local beat writers--many teams are covered by several beat writers from various outlets, so one year writer "A" may vote for MVP and writer "B" may vote for Coach of the Year and the next year the NBA may swap their assignments. I knew that the voting panels comprised local beat writers and national writers but never had heard that each panel can change this way from year to year. Anyway, this writer told me that if he is an MVP voter this year he would vote for Nowitzki. He added that Nash and Bryant also deserve consideration, but that he would not place either one ahead of Nowitzki. Duncan and James would round out his ballot but he is not sure in which order.

I've made my views on this subject pretty clear but it was interesting to me to hear the perspective of two league insiders and one beat writer who may actually cast a vote this year--and, no, before anyone asks, I did not lobby for Bryant, either with the potential voter or with my first two subjects. I simply asked their opinions. posted by David Friedman @ 2:08 AM

http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...rs-clinch.html

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #163
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

good stuff, mary

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #164
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
The following from an educated Suns fan. Maybe displaced from Texas? Any Mav fans could not sum it up better.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/(BloggerFormerlyKnownAsTom (Tom7264), March 22, 2007 02:18PM)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Finally Dirk Nowitzki can not make the big shot or free throw."

Except when he nailed that jumper over Marion in December. Remember that one, dimwit?

"When I look at the Mavs playing, I dont feel it's a teamwork effort although they have the best record in NBA right now."

You must be a farking genius! LMFAO!

"If Nash and Dirk swapped team, the Mavs can be a better team than the Suns having Dirk."

Really? How come the Mavs got BETTER when Nash left? That is my argument for MVP. When Nash left, the Suns got much better. If the Mavs had a corresponding drop in games won then sure, give Nash the award, but they didn't. Nowitzki filled in as the focal point for that team. Every year he adds something new to his game. Every year he is asked to do more and he always delivers more. When Nash left the Mavs were a better team. They all had to rely on each other with Dirk being the go to guy. Anybody notice that Dirk's fadeaway is as close to money as anybody elses shot in the game today? The Suns lose when Nash goes out not because Nash is great (and he is) but that the talent around Nash is poor when compared with the Mavs. I know people are going to crap all over themselves when I say this, but Stat and Matrix are mirages. They benefit from Nash. Neither can create their own shot or dribble to save their lives. You are at the mercy of your point guard. Dirk is the best player on a team full of talent and his numbers are with anybody else in the league. He scores, he rebounds, he now plays D and his passing has really taken off this year. The guy deserved it last year and he certainly deserves it this year. (Lou2588, March 22, 2007 02:14PM)
Ha, this guy sounds like the Chumdawg of Suns fans!
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #165
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
Ha, this guy sounds like the Chumdawg of Suns fans!
LOL
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #166
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Steve Nash will win MVP.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #167
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Mary, you are hiding in the closet, jumping out and trying to scare us with our own thoughts. You devil you.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote