Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-15-2006, 11:12 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's add up the dirk votes

Okay..so the MVP ballots have been distributed. If I understand correctly it's 60 ballots. So this thread is a list of committed dirk voters and suspected dirk voters.

David Moore - 10 points. You go David.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.251dfd9.html

Quote:
MVP

My vote goes to Dirk Nowitzki. Before you dismiss this as a Dallas thang, look at the numbers.

The Mavericks forward ranks in the top 10 in scoring and free throw shooting. He ranks in the top 20 in 3-point shooting and rebounding. No other player his size has that sort of offensive range. Watch him operate in the low post. He's much more assertive and effective than he was at this time last year.

Is Nowitzki a great defender? No. Are Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Charles Barkley, Earvin "Magic" Johnson, Larry Bird and other past winners? Nowitzki is a willing defender who has improved immensely on that side of the ball. Teams don't attack him the way they did even two years ago because he holds his own.

The drop from Nowitzki to the second-best player on the roster is greater than any of the other contenders. And yes, that includes Cleveland's LeBron James, where supporters of King James somehow overlook that Zydrunas Ilgauskas has been an All-Star twice in the last four years.

Ask Nowitzki to fill out a ballot and he refuses to include his name. When pressed, he says only that he belongs in the top 10.

See there? A 26-point scorer and modest, too.

"In a team sport, you don't go for individual awards," Nowitzki said. "That's not how you approach a season. That's not my goal.

"If I would get MVP, that would be a great honor. If not, I'm focusing on the playoffs and having a good run there."
THE VOTING

1. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas (10)

2. Steve Nash, Phoenix (7)

3. Chauncey Billups, Detroit (5)

4. LeBron James, Cleveland (3)

5. Dwyane Wade, Miami (1)
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-15-2006 at 11:13 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I like his voting and his argument a lot.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:14 AM   #3
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Sean Deveney from Sportingnews also votes him. Charles and Kenny from TNT too, but they don't get a vote.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd love to see it, but I think the national media still has the Nash chubby.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard it's more like 150+ people who vote.

EDIT: It was 127 last year.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-16-2006 at 12:24 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Without bearing on whether or not I agree with Moore, I'll say that that is quite the homerish article. To recap: Dirk is great on offense. He's not great on defense, but hey!, so were other guys who won the award, so pretty please, don't hold that against him. And he's humble. Omigod, how can you not really like him?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

MVP Q&A:

Q: What are the criteria?

A: That's always the big annual debate. The criteria are very subjective, with different voters placing different levels of importance on different things. One voter might feel a team's won-lost record should carry extra weight, while others will look at the issue of how a team would have done if that player hadn't been there. Still others look at it as a simple question of "Who's the best player?" In MVP voting, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Q: Why the 10-7-5-3-1 points system? Why not require everyone to name one player, and that's it?

A: This is the way the NBA has chosen to do it since 1980, and the league realizes the runner-up race for MVP is sometimes more compelling than who's going to win the Podoloff Trophy. Awarding 10 points for a first-place vote and just seven for a second-place vote gives added weight to the player at the top of each list. Before 1980, the players selected the MVP.

Q: Has anyone ever received the most first-place votes but failed to win the award?

A: Yes, in 1989 Charles Barkley drew 38 first-place votes to Magic Johnson's 27, but Johnson still defeated him 636-614. Last year, Dirk Nowitzki finished third with no first-place votes and Allen Iverson was fifth with two first-place votes.

Q: How many ballots are there?

A: There are usually about 125 ballots altogether, with 90 votes (three for each of the 30 teams) going to radio and television announcers and newspaper reporters who cover teams on a daily basis and about 35 other ballots sent to NBA writers and broadcasters from national media outlets, including USA Today, Turner Sports and ESPN. (A few media outlets, including the Los Angeles Times, New York Times and Associated Press, prohibit their employees from voting).

Q: Most teams have more than three people covering their teams on a full-time basis. Who decides which three people get the ballots?

A: Each individual team, usually through its media relations director, makes that decision. On teams with larger media contingents, some writers and broadcasters will receive ballots for some of the lesser individual awards (Rookie of the Year, Sixth Man, etc.) only; other teams will have the same voters cast ballots for all the awards.

Q: Why don't the fans vote?

A: The fans get to vote for the All-Star starters, and folks in the league office feel it's a better idea to limit voting for individual awards to people they're certain are attending a significant number of games.

Q: Lots of people are expecting a close race this year. Have there been many close MVP races lately?

A: Actually, last year's race was one of the closest ever, with Steve Nash defeating Shaquille O'Neal 1,066-1,032. There hadn't been one that tight since 1999, when Karl Malone edged Alonzo Mourning and Tim Duncan in what boiled down to a three-way race.

Q: What is the highest number of players to receive at least one first-place vote in a single year?

A: Nine. It happened twice since the players stopped selecting the MVP. In 1981, Julius Erving received 28 of 61 first-place votes, and eight others -- including George Gervin, Marques Johnson, Adrian Dantley, Phil Ford and Kelvin Ransey -- received one first-place vote apiece. Three years later, there again were nine players named at the top of at least one ballot. One of them was Jeff Ruland.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 AM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Q: Has anyone ever received the most first-place votes but failed to win the award?

A: Yes, in 1989 Charles Barkley drew 38 first-place votes to Magic Johnson's 27, but Johnson still defeated him 636-614. Last year, Dirk Nowitzki finished third with no first-place votes and Allen Iverson was fifth with two first-place votes.
Interesting stuff. Just maybe Dirk has a shot afterall. With the media seeimly having a hard-on for Nash and LeBron with virtually no mention of Dirk, it's hard to see him getting as many first place votes as either of them. However, maybe there's enough people out there who feel it's about winning games that will put guys like LeBron and Kobe towards the bottom of the ballot and put Dirk second and give him the most total votes. It's a total long-shot, but in a situation like this you just don't know. Hell, even in race as close as last year's pretty much everyone knew that it would ultimately either be Nash or Shaq. This year, it could be any one of 5 guys.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. It is probable Dirk will have less 1st-place votes then someone like Kobe who finishes behind him overall like AI did last year. I do think he will get some first-place votes though - unlike last year.

I really don't think Dirk cares. He'd want it if given a choice but is it on his list of goals he set out to accomplish at season's tipoff? I don't think so. The MVP really strikes me as a 'it'd be nice if it happened' sort of thing to Dirk. Not sure if it's because of his team-centric approach, if he doesn't want to get his hopes up or if he genuinely feels like he is not at that level yet but I really don't get that vibe of "GOD, I WANT TO BE MVP."

I still like Dirk's attitude, he carries himself like he's won 10 of those things.

Whereas that desire, or some might say desperation, to be crowned MVP reeks on Kobe Bryant. I can sort of smell it on Billups. Less so on Dirk, Nash or LeBron. Just speculating but it may have to do with the bling as Kobe sports three and Billups one while Dirk, Nash and LBJ hunger to be champions before anything else. Nash, who has already won it once, seems more apathetic about it then Dirk if that were possible.

Overall, I like Moore's rankings. Probably would insert Parker for Wade - Wade would be 6th. LBJ also deserves to be higher - probably 3rd.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

This has been posted elsewhere, but Stan McNeal of The Sporting News (Linkage):

David Moore - 10
Stan McNeal - 10

Total - 20

Quote:
McNeal's SportingBlog
Nowitzki gets my MVP vote, for now
April 5, 2006

With only a couple of weeks left in the season, the MVP race looks as wide open as it was on opening night. I'm guessing this will be the closest balloting ever, with at least six legitmate candidates receiving at least one first-place vote.

In order of my preference (subject to change, of course):

1. Dirk Nowitzki: The Mavs will be one of three teams to finish with 60 or more wins, and Dirk is much more of a one-man show than anyone on the Spurs or Pistons.

2. LeBron James: If the Cavs get to 50 wins, I might have to change my pick. Perhaps this is the better question: Will LeBron challenge Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's record of winning six MVPs?

3. Steve Nash: If the Suns surge to the finish, Nash has a great chance of repeating. I've talked to more than a dozen assistants, scouts and writers for an MVP story we're doing in the magazine next week, and Nash has received the most support --- but it's very close. Side note: Only 10 players ever have won MVP in back-to-back seasons, and the only two not in the Hall of Fame will be: Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan. Amazing to think the floppy-haired Canadian is so close to joining such elite company.

4. Chauncey Billups: Sorry, too much help.

5. Dwyane Wade: A year ago, the MVP debate was Nash or Shaq. Wade has put an end to that but still, he still has Shaq to help out.

6. Kobe Bryant: I would give him the same chance as LeBron if the Lakers could win 50. But with 40 wins and only seven games to play, my calculator tells me 50 isn't going to happen.
EDIT: There's a new article up (as of 4/11) where he analyzes the MVP race but doesn't mention if he changes his vote or not.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-16-2006 at 12:46 PM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Good go orange. It will be tough to add 'em up, but 20 is a start!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #12
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

Mark Followill said he'd be voting for Dirk. (And I promise you Ortegal will be too.)

So that means Dirk has at least 40 points.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

does fish get a vote? you'd have to think that dirk is going to get that vote.

i also recall mike monroe from the SA express saying that dirk would get his vote.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

I had some email exchange with sefko after he sort of hinted about voting for nash.

He said he would NOT be voting for nash. Didn't say if he'd go for dirk or not.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Art Garcia is also voting for Dirk.

Here's where Mike Monroe stated that he would vote for Dirk.

And apparently Bucher may or may not be changing his mind.

Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle lists Dirk as his third choice.

Percy Allen of the Seattle Times is voting for Billups but Dirk is probably in his top 3.

Interestingly enough, Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic is voting for LeBron James which I think is significant because that's one less vote for Nash.

Barbara Barker of Newsday.com seems to be leaning towards Dirk. And she has a poll up for fans to tell her who should win. VOTE! FOR DIRK!

Mark Montieth and Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star are choosing LeBron.

So...

David Moore
Stan McNeal
Mark Followill
Bob Ortegal
Mike Monroe
Art Garcia

Reading some of these articles...it still astounds me how little basketball knowledge some of these writers have. I stand by my previous statement that no fewer than 10 posters on this board are more qualified to cast a better-informed vote.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

SI's Marty Burns has Dirk in third and doesn't even mention LeBron or Kobe.

Pete May of the Boston Globe lists Dirk as his number two, but sounds as if he could change his mind.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, so far it looks like it's between Dirk and Nash. Interesting stuff.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Doug Smith Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home

Billups, Nash, Lebron, Dirk, Wade
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #19
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

It's sounding better for Dirk than I thought. I think its really only between Lebron, Nash, and Dirk.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #20
harsh euro barge

harsh euro barge will become famous soon enoughharsh euro barge will become famous soon enough

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/bl...04.html#131110

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Early MVP returns
A group of NBA writers from every team submit weekly notes throughout the year, during which at the end of the season we submit who we are voting for in the various postseason award categories.

So far, with 22 of 30 precincts reporting, the closest race is at Most Valuable Player. Here is how I voted, followed by the tallied votes so far from my collegues. First place gets 10 points, second 7, third 5, fourth 3 and fifth 1.

My MVP ballot (I will publish my voting in each category in Sunday's Oregonian):

1. Steve Nash, Phoenix
2. Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers
3. LeBron James, Cleveland
4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
5. Chauncey Billups, Detroit

The Group voting:

Player Points 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Nash, PHX 152 9 4 6 1 1
James, CLE 139 5 7 6 3 1
Nowitzki, DAL 96 2 5 3 8 2
Billups, DET 91 4 2 4 5 2
Bryant, LAL 73 2 3 3 3 8
Brand, LAC 12 0 1 1 0 2
Wade, MIA 9 0 0 0 1 6

I believe there are 127 voters, so obviously, this is hardly an accurate barometer of how the race will turn out, but thought it might be interesting to pass along.

By the way, looks like Dallas' Avery Johnson is leading for Coach of the Year, Phoenix's Boris Diaw as Most Improved, Detroit's Ben Wallace as Defensive Player of the Year in a close one with Bruce Bowen, and Chris Paul has been an unanimous pick as Rookie of the Year.

As more votes come in, I will update

Quick
harsh euro barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LeBron is the obvious media choice and a reasonable argument can be made for him. I just hope it isn't Nash who imho doesn't deserve it. I'd rather have Nash than the rapist, but I figured Dirk for anywhere between 2-4.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #22
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

David Dupree, USATODAY and Frank Isola, NY Daily News both have Dirk as their MVP
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 PM   #23
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Dirk really does deserve it, but Nash will probably win it again.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #24
orangedays
Platinum Member

So the count thus far for #1 votes stands at 8:

David Dupree
Mark Followill
Art Garcia
Frank Isola
Mike Monroe
Stan McNeal
David Moore
Bob Ortegal

And I noticed that Barbara Barker's poll has skewed significantly in favor of Dirk since this afternoon, hopefully we can change her mind. Good job guys
Old 04-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've always enjoyed Frank Isola's work...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #26
orangedays
Platinum Member

Default Votes for Dirk

First

Barbara Barker*
David Dupree
Mark Followill
Art Garcia
Frank Isola
Mike Monroe
Stan McNeal
David Moore
Bob Ortegal

90 pts.

Second

Percy Allen*
Pete May

14 pts.

Third

Marty Burns
Jonathan Feigen

10 pts.

Fourth

Paul Coro*
Mark Montieth*
Jason Quick
Doug Smith

12 pts.

Fifth

N/A

* - Unconfirmed, slotting based on articles. Please add/subtract to this list based on any information you find.

btw...just noticed that d-m.com has hit 25,000 threads. woo hoo and such.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-16-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #27
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I've always enjoyed Frank Isola's work...
He's a studio analyst on NBA-TV..seems to have a decent amount of knowledge about the NBA
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 AM   #28
digit

digit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura aboutdigit has a spectacular aura about

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...l/14297339.htm
By Israel Gutierrez
igutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

And so, after weighing all those quantifiable and intangible factors (not all of which can fit in this space), this particular ballot will read:

1. LeBron James

2. Dwyane Wade

3. Dirk Nowitzki

4. Steve Nash

5. Kobe Bryant

Yes, that leaves out Brand, the unofficial MVP leader through the first quarter of the season and Billups, the player on the league's best team who's having a career year. And I'm sure the final tally will read nothing like the order just set out (it has changed twice in the past week, by the way). But hey, if the league allowed it, my first choice would be a seven-way tie.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1088/SPORTS04
By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com

And the winner is . . .

Star reporters Mark Montieth and Mike Wells size up the NBA's major postseason awards.
Award Montieth's pick Wells' pick
MVP LeBron James, Cavs James
Coach Mike D'Antoni, Suns Avery Johnson, Mavs
Rookie Chris Paul, Hornets Paul
Defensive Player Bruce Bowen, Spurs Ben Wallace, Pistons
Sixth Man Leandro Barbosa, Suns Speedy Claxton, Hornets
Most Improved Boris Diaw, Suns David West, Hornets

First Team All-NBA
Kobe Bryant, Lakers Bryant
Dwyane Wade, Heat Steve Nash, Suns
James James
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs Nowitzki
Tim Duncan, Spurs Wallace
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:11 AM   #29
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

Looks like LeBron is this years MVP with Dirk as the runner's up.
LeBron is a more than worthy MVP,it should go either way.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #30
dude1394
Guru

Another dirk vote.
http://www.orangeleader.com/articles...ts/sports1.txt

Dirk is the man
for NBA’s MVP

By Van Wade
The Orange Leader

My MVP though, has to go to the big blonde dude from the Dallas Mavericks. Folks, Dirk Nowitzki is a “freak” of nature.

Here is a guy that is seven-foot tall and can bring the ball up the court and step back and hit the three-point bomb. He can post anybody in the league up and just gets better each and every year. He’s picked it up on the defensive end as well while pumping in 27 points and nine boards a game.

I always thought Hakeem Olajuwon had the most complete game of any seven-footer I ever witnessed. Not anymore, Dirk is that man and he certainly deserves his props.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:13 AM   #31
dude1394
Guru

Another dirkster...

Dirk Nowitzki: 2006 NBA MVP
By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Apr 13, 2006, 16:02

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_16931.shtml
Now consider this. The Mavericks best season in franchise history came in 2003, when Steve Nash, Michael Finley, and Dirk Nowitzki took the team all the way to the Western Conference Finals, where they lost to the eventual-champion Spurs. Since then the Mavericks have lost reigning MVP Nash to Phoenix, Finley to San Antonio, and they have a rookie coach. Most teams, upon losing a veteran Hall-of-Fame coach and two All-Stars would fold and begin the rebuilding process. Not Mark Cuban’s Mavericks. Avery Johnson stepped in, picked up right where Don Nelson left off, and has this team playing the best basketball they’ve ever played. The reason?

Dirk Nowitzki.

He’s not flashy, he isn’t a media hound, and he doesn’t care for all of the glitz and glamour of the All-Star set. He is quiet, leads primarily by example, and he works harder than anyone else to make sure he’s ready when the game is on the line. Under Coach Johnson’s guidance he has adjusted his game to become the centerpiece that the Mavericks need him to be now that his All-Star running mates are gone. He has worked relentlessly on his inside game, found a rhythm in the offense Avery runs, and – most importantly – he has become a decent defender.

Statistically Dirk is having a career year. He’s averaging 26.5 points and 9.0 rebounds per game while hitting a career-best 41% from downtown. Contrary to popular opinion, which says Dirk doesn’t attempt as many threes under Avery Johnson. The truth is he has better shot selection, but has attempted and made more threes this season than last season. Avery has called upon Dirk to be more responsible for the team’s overall offense and Dirk has responded.

The even bigger challenge for Dirk has been to use his height to his advantage. In the past Dirk has been stymied by team who run smaller defender at him. The Spurs, in particular, have had great success putting Bruce Bowen on Dirk, and the Houston Rockets ran Ryan Bowen at him in the playoffs, which is why the Mavericks needed seven games to get past Houston. This year, and especially over the season’s second half, Dirk has responded to Avery’s call for him to use that seven-foot frame to punish smaller defenders. That alone may be enough to get the Mavericks past the Spurs in the second round. It has certainly catapulted Dirk to the top of the league in terms of Most Valuable Players.

The Mavericks are at the top of the league in spite of losing two All-Stars over the past two seasons. The team leans more on Dirk than they ever have, and the result has been a franchise record in number of wins and a legit shot at a championship. When you look back at the 2005-06 season, the Mavericks have been one of the top three teams in the league throughout, and are still just a game away from having the best record in the Western Conference. Dirk Nowitzki is, without question, the reason why. The Mavs have a nice supporting cast around Dirk, but without him they are little more than a competitive lottery team.

Nash has been a pillar for a team in need. Kobe hung 81 points in a single game. LeBron looks like a player to be reckoned with in the future. But when you look at the Suns, Lakers, and Cavaliers, they don’t hold a candle to the Dallas Mavericks. Dirk is the most valuable player on a team that could very well win the NBA championship this season, which sets him apart from every other player in the league.

Dirk Nowitzki.

2006 MVP.

What else needs to be said?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #32
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for everyone's search and rallied information from around the country. Stellar work and just another reason I love Dallas-Mavs.com. Dirk getting respect, finally. A few more first place votes, along with him staying in the top 3 picks, could net him the MVP, lets hope.

Also, if we sway any voters vote, we should get in the liner notes on the Dirk MVP.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 AM   #33
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone for researching and posting the articles!

If we win against the Clips, we'll be above 75% win rate. Let's hope Dirk at over 25ppg (26.5 actually!), wouldn't become the first ever to NOT win the MVP with those stats.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #34
NXperience

NXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to allNXperience is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
Thanks everyone for researching and posting the articles!

If we win against the Clips, we'll be above 75% win rate. Let's hope Dirk at over 25ppg (26.5 actually!), wouldn't become the first ever to NOT win the MVP with those stats.
Well in my opinion that happened before so this wouldn't be a first off ... but I think the MVP came from the same team ^^
NXperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #35
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Steve Aschburn says he has a ballot and it will read like this:

1. Dirk

2. LeBron

3. Nash

4. Wade

5. Kobe

http://www.startribune.com/511/story/372211.html

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #36
orangedays
Platinum Member

First

Steve Aschburn
Barbara Barker*
Sean Deveney
David Dupree
Mark Followill
Art Garcia
Bill Ingram
Frank Isola
Mike Monroe
Stan McNeal
David Moore
Bob Ortegal
Van Wade

130 pts.

Second

Percy Allen*
Pete May

14 pts.

Third

Marty Burns
Jonathan Feigen
Israel Gutierrez

15 pts.

Fourth

Paul Coro*
Mark Montieth*
Jason Quick
Doug Smith

12 pts.

Fifth

N/A

* - Unconfirmed, slotting based on articles.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-17-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #37
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXperience
Well in my opinion that happened before so this wouldn't be a first off ... but I think the MVP came from the same team ^^
You're right. It happened twice before and both times their team-mates won the MVP.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #38
orangedays
Platinum Member

Jason Terry must be on pins and needles.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #39
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune has Dirk somewhere between 3rd and 5th, votes for Phil Jackson as COY and wears a dress that's completely made out of cornflakes while singing Leif Garrett songs on helium.
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I actually dont have that much of a problem with voting pj as the coach of the year. How he only has 1 is beyond me. He is the best coach in nba history guys.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirk