Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Divided by three

Divided by three

An NBA title remains the goal; it just won't be a united effort

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Together, it never happened. Apart, it should. Rehashing the life and times of the Big Three is a favorite pastime in Mavericks country, and on the eve of the 2006 NBA playoffs, a new twist in the saga of Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and Michael Finley is beginning to unfold. One is going to the NBA Finals. Well, probably. "The chances of it happening are pretty good," Nowitzki conceded recently. "Obviously, I'm hoping it will be me. Before we get there, we have a long road ahead of us." Nowitzki, a serious MVP candidate, and the fourth-seeded Mavs begin their journey Sunday night against No. 5 seed Memphis at American Airlines Center. Although the Mavs are fourth because of the league's seeding policy rewarding division winners, they're clearly one of the Western Conference's Big Three.

And not coincidently, the other two squads in the exclusive club of Western powers employ Messieurs Nash and Finley. That sets up the dynamic of one of the old Big Three having to go through the others to be a champion.

"That's sport," Nash said. "You try to win. If you get beat, you get beat. At the end of it, if you give it your all, how can you really beat yourself up for it?"

Teammates for six seasons (1998-2004), the Nowitzki-Nash-Finley trio led the rebirth of the Mavs from NBA afterthought to playoff contender.

They flourished as one, forming a bond not confined by a basketball court. Separately, success has followed.

The reigning MVP and a favorite again this season, Nash has led Phoenix to consecutive Pacific Division titles and a first-round date with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Although the Suns didn't shine as brightly this season, they've admirably weathered the loss of Amaré Stoudemire and have a potentially easier road to the West finals than the Mavs or San Antonio.

Not that the Southwest Division-winning Spurs, who open with Sacramento, are complaining. Finley signed with the defending champs after being released by the Mavs last summer and flirting with Phoenix, his first NBA home.

Once the Mavs' lone All-Star and signature talent, Finley has gone from a longtime starter to valuable reserve for the top seed. Despite three NBA titles in the last seven years, the Spurs are looking for their first repeat.

Finley just wants that first ring. That's why he flew south to the Alamo City.

"That was one of the reasons I came here, to be a part of a team that has a great chance to do some great things," he said. "I think winning the division with the best record is a step in the right direction and makes my decision even a better one."

He hasn't looked back.

"I really can't worry about what's happening in Dallas and Phoenix," Finley said. "That's past for me. I'm really focusing on our team here."

The Mavs and Spurs -- the only two teams in the West with at least 60 wins -- are on a collision course to meet in the conference semifinals.

Should both Texas teams advance out of the first round, as many predict, it would assure a trip to the West finals for either Nowitzki or Finley. Neither has been since they went together (with Nash) in 2003.

Nash was there again last year, although San Antonio ended the Suns' run a stop short of the Finals. If the second-seeded Suns get past Kobe Bryant and out of the semis, Nowitzki or Finley could be in the way of a trip to the championship series.

"There's obviously no guarantee," Nash said. "I'm dying to play in the Finals and if I couldn't, the next best thing would be to see Dirk or Mike playing in the Finals. That would be awesome. It's too bad we had to split up to do it."

Ah, the regret.

"There's one side of you that wishes you had a chance to hang around together, especially in light of what could have been done," Nash continued. "But the other side of it, I'm happy to see everyone succeeding."

Nowitzki chose not to reflect on what will never happen with two of his closest friends.

"What Stevie has done in Phoenix is amazing," Nowitzki said. "And Mike really took on that role in San Antonio, which is not easy. To be the go-to guy on the Mavs for so long and now you have a different role off the bench. He's a true professional.

"Whoever gets to the Finals, I wish them the best of luck. Hopefully, it will be us."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links