Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
mffl03

mffl03 will become famous soon enough
Default Predicting Mavs Matchups for Playoffs (Prepare yourself!)

I don't know about you, but I like having all the info, especially if I'm getting into stats and sports at a bar or just with some friends.

And trust me, we are going to run into a lot of them in the coming weeks. People we know aren't regular season fans, yet somehow are the biggest MFFLs as soon as the playoffs start. They want to know who that point guard is who looks like he's 18, they want to know if Finley is injured etc. etc.

It happens every year...

This is for the playoff match-ups as I've been hearing, if the Suns get the 1 spot in the West, everything could be different for the Mavs. I heard on the radio earlier how the Mavs have a possibility to not see the Suns or Spurs through the whole playoffs....does that even make sense?

So lets start some scenarios on how the Mavs would be playing either the Suns or Spurs 2nd round...or not see any of them at all until the conference finals.....
mffl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

What scenarios are there to break down? If the Mavs finish #1 they get Spurs/Suns in the conference finals. If they finish #2 they get Spurs/Suns in round 2. Barring injuries, it's pretty much just that simple.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The only way we don't see either Suns/Spurs is if we keep the 1st spot (which is more than likely going to happen) AND either both Suns/Spurs lose in the first round... or one of them loses in the first only to lose in the 2nd.... which means only if the pigs start flying.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
The only way we don't see either Suns/Spurs is if we keep the 1st spot (which is more than likely going to happen) AND either both Suns/Spurs lose in the first round... or one of them loses in the first only to lose in the 2nd.... which means only if the pigs start flying.
I should add to that another way we avoid both those teams... Keep the first spot and lose in the first or 2nd round....
Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Dallas, Suns, Spurs and Jazz are all going to be great series. I fear the Spurs most, then Jazz. I feel we can beat all of them.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe we should start with who we will be crushing in the first round? I think Denver or the Clippers are a good bet.

Second round: Jazz or Rockets, probably the Jazz

WCF: That's tough to call, either way it would be a good series but the Spurs have owned the Suns in the playoffs... so i'll stick with them until Phoenix gives us a reason to see otherwise. I'd rather see the Suns though, Amare and Nash couldn't play any better and we still took them to double OT last night because Dirk choked our win. I think it would be different if we didn't give them such a massive head start.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

The blackening of the skies above your head and the rumbling of the earth beneath your feet forewarn the approach of the dark king and his legions of blood-thirsty Warriors.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
cshedd

cshedd will become famous soon enoughcshedd will become famous soon enough

I am so sick and tired of hearing the word "choke". It is basketball people. People miss shots. Dirk has won us so many games this year that when I hear a Mav fan use the words "Dirk" and "Choke" together, I wanna kick their ass off the bandwagon. Tell me how you see the big picture: Dirk shoots a FG% around 50 (.499 to be exact). In your eyes, is that because Dirk chokes .501% of the time, or (as I see it) that he shoots an extremely high .499% and is one of the best shooters in the league.

Look people: Dirk hits those big shots 90% of the time and we ride his coat tails and praise him for it (which he deserves) when all is well. Look at the last game against Phoenix as proof. But then the guy misses a freethrow and doesn't hit a highly contested buzzer beater and you dare call him a choker. If that isn't the definition of "Bandwagoner" then I must be a goddamn idiot. Everyone wants to pile on Dirk and be a part of his success when he wins, but when we lose, everyone wants to cast him aside and place themselves in third party like "Yeah, can't believe The Big German choked." Dirk played his ass off last night. He was a defensive liability on a few perimeter shots, but not for lack of effort.

I have plenty of criticisms of the teams play last night, costly turnovers, lack of first quarter hustle plays, slowing the tempo to half-court even though that's what killed us in the first half, etc. But I'm not going to sit here and cast Dirk aside as a "Choker" and have that be the sole reason we lost.

I realize this is a bit off topic, and I apologize. Don't mean to be preachy or up anyone's ass about it. This also isn't really directed at anyone here specifically, mainly fueled by that Bill Walton who is the biggest trend rider broadcasting has seen, and random trollers here and on other forums. Just needed to get it off my chest with people who might understand.

/rant

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-15-2007 at 05:30 PM.
cshedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ape
The blackening of the skies above your head and the rumbling of the earth beneath your feet forewarn the approach of the dark king and his legions of blood-thirsty Warriors.

You were much funnier when you were a Maverick bandwaggoner. Now that you are a Nellie bandwaggoner you've lost some of that mojo. Such a shame. At least when you made these proclamations about the Mavericks it was at least believable.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

looking ahead at Dallas and Pho's schedules, it ain't too hard to imagine a scenario where Pho catches Dal....the Suns have a light schedule between now and April fools while the mavs play @Det and @Cle - the winner of the april 1 mtg could easily take the lead into the last couple of weeks of the season.

anyhoo...I realize I'm sorta in the minority, especially considering how SA has played over the last few weeks, but I still maintain that Pho is tougher of the two teams....SA can't outrebound Pho like the Mavs can....if Pho was playing SA last night, they take a 16 point lead early and never look back.

(insert SA Fan argument here ---- hahahaha, we've got three rings, we must be better....lol)

i ain't saying Dallas over SA in the 2nd round is a lock, but the toughest step was always gonna be the WC finals v the suns, regardless of who we go through to get there.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Mavericks are three up in the loss column against Phoenix. Last time I checked we were 2-1 against the Suns and 2-1 against the Spurs. The sky is falling right, wrong. The Mavericks are still the best team in the NBA. Dirk missed freethrows he normally makes he is a ninety percent freethrow shooter.

Two this gives the Mavericks added motivation after cruising most of the season. Winning 82.5 percent of your games is still astonishing. Relax mav fans it is money in the bank.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshedd
I am so sick and tired of hearing the word "choke". It is basketball people. People miss shots. Dirk has won us so many games this year that when I hear a Mav fan use the words "Dirk" and "Choke" together, I wanna kick their ass off the bandwagon. Tell me how you see the big picture: Dirk shoots a FG% around 50 (.499 to be exact). In your eyes, is that because Dirk chokes .501% of the time, or (as I see it) that he shoots an extremely high .499% and is one of the best shooters in the league.

Look people: Dirk hits those big shots 90% of the time and we ride his coat tails and praise him for it (which he deserves) when all is well. Look at the last game against Phoenix as proof. But then the guy misses a freethrow and doesn't hit a highly contested buzzer beater and you dare call him a choker. If that isn't the definition of "Bandwagoner" then I must be a goddamn idiot. Everyone wants to pile on Dirk and be a part of his success when he wins, but when we lose, everyone wants to cast him aside and place themselves in third party like "Yeah, can't believe The Big German choked." Dirk played his ass off last night. He was a defensive liability on a few perimeter shots, but not for lack of effort.
No but that's the reason he did in fact CHOKE last night. He's not superman, he can have bad nights and last night was definitely one of them depsite his great stats. When a guy shoots 90% from the FT line and misses not one... not two... but THREE late FT's that could have iced the game I don't know how much of a blind homer you have to be to not consider it a choke. Just because we somehow pushed it to OT doesn't make it any less significant, we could have had them in regulation if Dirk made the big FT's... who cares if he does it against Memphis for example? I care about beating Phoenix when the pressure is on.

Another choke: Josh Howards foul on Nash, it really makes you scratch your head on what he was thinking... they were up, clock was burning, and Nash wasn't even in shooting form when he left his feet... so tell me Josh, why would you jump at him? And if you jump at him why wouldn't you make sure he doesn't get a shot off so he only gets two FT's?
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

We lost two in row then the "if the Suns get the 1 spot in the West" starts? And I'd rather see the Spurs in the WCF.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i am all that is man.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
cshedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
No but that's the reason he did in fact CHOKE last night. He's not superman, he can have bad nights and last night was definitely one of them depsite his great stats. When a guy shoots 90% from the FT line and misses not one... not two... but THREE late FT's that could have iced the game I don't know how much of a blind homer you have to be to not consider it a choke. Just because we somehow pushed it to OT doesn't make it any less significant, we could have had them in regulation if Dirk made the big FT's... who cares if he does it against Memphis for example? I care about beating Phoenix when the pressure is on.

Another choke: Josh Howards foul on Nash, it really makes you scratch your head on what he was thinking... they were up, clock was burning, and Nash wasn't even in shooting form when he left his feet... so tell me Josh, why would you jump at him? And if you jump at him why wouldn't you make sure he doesn't get a shot off so he only gets two FT's?
I think we lost the game by allowing too many costly turnovers late in the 4th, and solidified it with the two major turnovers with less than 1:00 remaining in 2nd OT. Basketball isn't just about shooting and making shots. We made a lot of mistakes down the stretch on and OFF the ball. These I don't believe were chokes, but shit that happens when you don't take care of business or the ball when you have a chance. Those final missed free throws wouldn't have put our lead back to 14, but consistent defense, better coverage of the pick and roll, good help side rotations could have held it there. We got blitzed on all of those fronts, AND Amare Sodomizer was playing out of his mind on the block. He's not going to hit those 18 - 22 foot jumpers every game, but when he is, he's a real problem.

I agree that all of the points you mentioned were DEFINITELY HUGE in determining the outcome of the game. Were they mistakes? Yes. Was it a choke job? I don't think so, but that's my opinion. I can't tell you how much I wish Dirk had nailed those free-throws, but as a team focusing on that missed shot at the end of the game gets you nowhere. What were the mistakes that led up to that point. If you play the whole game thinking that in the end you're just going to make every important shot, then you are asking to lose. And that logic has nothing to do with choking, it's just basketball.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
Tokey41
Platinum Member

I agree, a few missed FT's don't make an entire game. If you use that logic however there is no such thing as a choke speaking in individual terms, since there are so many variables in determining a game. You can't fault one person for a loss but a bunch of plays collectively, those FT's were a huge part in the loss as were a few of the dumb plays down the stretch (and Amare playing his absolute best ball) among other things. The important thing to remember is we are still up 2-1 and still have the best record in the league... a double OT loss won't make me lose sleep, we played pretty damn tough.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #17
cshedd

Quote:
The important thing to remember is we are still up 2-1 and still have the best record in the league... a double OT loss won't make me lose sleep, we played pretty damn tough.
I'll drink to that!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Mavs are 6-3 over the last nine games against phoenix. A sleeping beast is about to ravage the league his name Dirk Nowitzki. He plays better when he is angry

The Spurs know suck because they lost to the Bucks.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
A sleeping beast is about to ravage the league his name Dirk Nowitzki. He plays better when he is angry
Are you sure? He looked pretty mad the other night, and I think it may have distracted him.

That ferocious dunk was good, though.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #20
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

With a healthy George, Harris & Buckner, no way the Suns put up 111 against us in regulation; however, with or without those guys, we score 111 against them. All I need to know to feel just fine about our chances against Phoenix in the playoffs--if they make it through San Antonio.

Now, Golden State in the first round scares me...
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
With a healthy George, Harris & Buckner, no way the Suns put up 111 against us in regulation; however, with or without those guys, we score 111 against them. All I need to know to feel just fine about our chances against Phoenix in the playoffs--if they make it through San Antonio.

Now, Golden State in the first round scares me...
agreed. i hate the warriors
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshedd

I have plenty of criticisms of the teams play last night, costly turnovers, lack of first quarter hustle plays, slowing the tempo to half-court even though that's what killed us in the first half, etc. But I'm not going to sit here and cast Dirk aside as a "Choker" and have that be the sole reason we lost.

I realize this is a bit off topic, and I apologize. Don't mean to be preachy or up anyone's ass about it. This also isn't really directed at anyone here specifically, mainly fueled by that Bill Walton who is the biggest trend rider broadcasting has seen, and random trollers here and on other forums. Just needed to get it off my chest with people who might understand.

/rant

I like this rant because I feel the same way. The "choke" part of our society is ridiculous. It's so "what have you done for me lately". Players of all sorts miss shots all of the time, sometimes they get another chance to fix it, sometimes they don't. In every game someone "chokes". It's stupid, asinine and childish.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #23
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

At least get your facts straight before you call someone else a choker. Dirk missed 3 ft's in the fourth. the first miss was in the first 2 minutes of the fourth. I guess that was a game winner as well. Not disputing the fact that he missed ft's but you can't even get your facts straight about it... Choker.

As far as Josh Howards "choke" Josh was only relying on what the NBA announced this year that you could jump to the side of a player and that player could not lean into you to initiate a free throw. Josh should have known better to not listen to the NBA but he jumped to the side of nash perfectly. I guess he could have just let him shoot it. Again maybe a bad play..but a choke.. give me a stinking break.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
At least get your facts straight before you call someone else a choker. Dirk missed 3 ft's in the fourth. the first miss was in the first 2 minutes of the fourth. I guess that was a game winner as well. Not disputing the fact that he missed ft's but you can't even get your facts straight about it... Choker.

As far as Josh Howards "choke" Josh was only relying on what the NBA announced this year that you could jump to the side of a player and that player could not lean into you to initiate a free throw. Josh should have known better to not listen to the NBA but he jumped to the side of nash perfectly. I guess he could have just let him shoot it. Again maybe a bad play..but a choke.. give me a stinking break.
First of all, I guess it's not appropriate to assume that late in the game can't be applied to the fourth quarter in general. What was I thinking? I'm well aware it was a team effort to choke this one away... but what I cant get is it's all fun and good to label other players as chokers (ex. Tmac in the playoffs) but theres some magical rule about Dirk. He didn't lose the game completely by himself but as a leader he should have stepped up and he knows and admits it (see the losing sleep thread). He gets the bulk of the responsibility for this loss because he's the star and he had a shot, it comes with the territory.

Furthermore since some people use the MVP argument that Dirk is the best player on the best team RECORD wise shouldn't he be equally responsible for the losses they suffer, especially if he has a direct chance to change it into a win? I really couldn't believe how he missed those FT's myself, in fact let me ask you something: whens the last time Dirk missed three FT's in the same quarter? I don't think you should judge people who call it a choke because it was either a once in a lifetime occurance for FT shooter of his caliber or he was feeling at least a little pressure.

Second, you NEVER listen to the NBA especially if your a Dallas Maverick. Not to mention the fact Avery was yelling the entire time "don't foul the three!" but somehow Josh zoned the yelling out. IQ wise he's no basketball Eienstein.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
First of all, I guess it's not appropriate to assume that late in the game can't be applied to the fourth quarter in general. What was I thinking? I'm well aware it was a team effort to choke this one away... but what I cant get is it's all fun and good to label other players as chokers (ex. Tmac in the playoffs) but theres some magical rule about Dirk.
Point taken. In my defense I would never label Tmac a choker if I wasn't conversing with a rockette troll but that is no excuse either. For the record I don't think TMAC is a choker, he's definitely had some issues closing out big games and has never done it. Until he does it you might say he hasn't shown himself up to the challenge. Dirk has, many times.

I guess I just hate the idea that on a message board people can (and I have..admittedly) use language that if in the presence of that person they would never use, it bugs me. If I can't control my own language maybe I should go the way of the doc(s) and check out, because it's ugly.

I actually appreciate the take-down you provided of my own discourse as I think it's pretty ugly discourse.

Since I have labeled other players as chokers (I have certainly labled them as losers) your point is well taken and my apologies for my rant. I don't like the word or the rude discourse that permeates our media as well as our online discourse. But I've been guilty as well. Mea Culpa
Old 03-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Furthermore since some people use the MVP argument that Dirk is the best player on the best team RECORD wise shouldn't he be equally responsible for the losses they suffer, especially if he has a direct chance to change it into a win? I really couldn't believe how he missed those FT's myself, in fact let me ask you something: whens the last time Dirk missed three FT's in the same quarter? I don't think you should judge people who call it a choke because it was either a once in a lifetime occurance for FT shooter of his caliber or he was feeling at least a little pressure.
I completely hold the dirkster responsible for his actions in that game and his actions directly caused the team to lose. What I really am railing against I guess (see my previous mea culpa) is the rudeness of the "choker" tag. I saw dirk miss ft's he normally makes and possibly that's a choke, but I just hate it I guess.

Maybe I can't dissassciate my fandom from the game, probably not, but dirk is not superman, not untouchable and certainly not beyond reproach or criticism.

Maybe it's the word choker that I object to because it seems so demeaning and I seldom see atheletes deserve the label however it's thrown around with such abandon. Every game there is a choker, because every game someone loses.

Last edited by dude1394; 03-17-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #27
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Thats true, I guess when you think about it "choker" seems like a harsh tag to give someone especially a guy we all respect like Dirk. I personally use it quite a bit in situations where superstars are given a clearcut opportunity to win and can't (like Dirk against PHX) because it just seems like common basketball slang now. Or as you also mentioned it's a great way to piss trolls off, although I really don't think Mcgrady chokes when the going gets tough... he just decides to watch from the sidelines.

I agree the word is thrown around a lot, but I definitely think it applies to the Phoenix game in regards to Dirk... but to say he is a career "choker" is simply ridiculous. It was one game, he accepted the repsonsibility willingly and he's turned the negative experience into a positive for fans who know how well he plays when he's on a mission. April 1st couldn't come any sooner.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:00 AM   #28
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

The Warriors are now officially the #8 seed right now. They are 3 back of the Lakers, and 1/2 in front of the Clippers. It really looks like they may be our first round match up.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #29
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

There is a difference between "he choked against Phoenix" and "he is a choker", the latter implying that he cannot handle the pressure at the end of close games on a regular basis.

Dirk has made tons of free throws in late-game situations over his career and I think coaches won't hesitate to draw up plays for him when the game is on the line.

That said, he's still to win a ring, and until he does there is always the possibility that some doubts will linger in his mind as to whether he is capable of doing it.

Of course the same goes forT-Mac, KG and the other franchise players who haven't done it. The longer it takes the more pressure builds, so Dirk better delivers this off-season.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #30
mffl03

So let me reitterate this again,

Are we going to see either the Suns or Spurs in the second round?

I thought it was, if it all plays out in winning fashion,

1st round: Clippers, Nuggets, Warriors, (MAYBE Okla, not likely though)

2nd round: Utah or Houston

Conference: Suns or Spurs

Isn't that how its going to pan out? If it is, why does everyone say that we'll see the Suns again in the Playoffs? Are they just automatically assuming that the Suns will win all of their games and make it past the Spurs?

No one, and I mean no radio personality or newspaper article yet has said "If the suns make it past the spurs..."...

then again no one is writing "if we make it past the first round" either
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #31
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

How the heck are the Suns going to catch us? No freaking way. They would pretty much have to win out and we would have to have some sort of collapse. Come on.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #32
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Here are the seedings as of now,

1st Round
1. Dallas vs 8. L.A. Clippers
4. Utah vs 5. Houston
2. Phoenix vs 7. Denver
3. San Antonio vs 6. L.A. Lakers

So with these seedings (if Dallas beats the Clippers and Phoenix and S.A. advance)

2nd Round
Dallas vs Utah/Houston win
Phoenix vs S.A.

So if Dallas beats Utah or Houston

Conf Finals
Dallas vs Phoenix/S.A. winner

-Dallas clinches division unless they lose out and S.A. wins out, so it's a lock.
-Dallas can do no worse than 2nd.
-Phoenix can only overtake Dallas by Dallas losing 6 or more of the last 9 games, 6 is only if Phoenix goes undefeated their last 9 games. It's 7 if Phoenix loses 1, 8 if Phoenix loses 2, and Dallas must lose all 9 games if Phoenix loses 3.

Other possibilities for Dallas in 1st round (could easily be Denver, GS or the Hornets)

Seed Team GB
7 Denver 24.5
8 L.A. Clippers 25

Still alive
9 Golden State 26.5
10 NO/Okla. City 28
11 Minnesota 30
12 Sacramento 30.5
13 Seattle 31
14 Portland 32

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-02-2007 at 10:55 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #33
mffl03

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Here are the seedings as of now,

1st Round
1. Dallas vs 8. L.A. Clippers
4. Utah vs 5. Houston
2. Phoenix vs 7. Denver
3. San Antonio vs 6. L.A. Lakers

So with these seedings (if Dallas beats the Clippers and Phoenix and S.A. advance)

2nd Round
Dallas vs Utah/Houston win
Phoenix vs S.A.

So if Dallas beats Utah or Houston

Conf Finals
Dallas vs Phoenix/S.A. winner

-Dallas clinches division unless they lose out and S.A. wins out, so it's a lock.
-Dallas can do no worse than 2nd.
-Phoenix can only overtake Dallas by Dallas losing 6 or more of the last 9 games, 6 is only if Phoenix goes undefeated their last 9 games. It's 7 if Phoenix loses 1, 8 if Phoenix loses 2, and Dallas must lose all 9 games if Phoenix loses 3.

Other possibilities for Dallas in 1st round (could easily be Denver, GS or the Hornets)

Seed Team GB
7 Denver 24.5
8 L.A. Clippers 25

Still alive
9 Golden State 26.5
10 NO/Okla. City 28
11 Minnesota 30
12 Sacramento 30.5
13 Seattle 31
14 Portland 32
Exactly what I thought,

So then why is everyone on the radio and the newspapers making it seem like we are going "to play them in the playoffs" automatically?

Just plain ignorance. Let's see them beat their first two match-ups, and then we'll talk about us "meeting in the playoffs"
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #34
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares about being called a choker? Its a long time used sports term that many people will use.....they will use it too when your superstar misses free throws/shots at the end of important games. My point is I don't care what you call it, I just don't want Dirk to miss the shots or fts, period. In general, if the Mavs don't win the championship this year, you can bet "choke" will be a highly used term. I don't really care though. I just don't want my team to lose, thats all I care about. Nobody will be called anything negative if we win 16 games in the playoffs. That is absolutely all that matters are those 16 wins. If we lose, then I don't care what they call it....they'll all be right until Dirk and all the Mavs prove they have what it takes to go all the way.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-02-2007 at 11:49 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #35
mffl03

Can we not make this a discussion page about choking or the games? Just how the playoffs are becoming more and more solidified.....
Old 04-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #36
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
Who cares about being called a choker? Its a long time used sports term that many people will use.....they will use it too when your superstar misses free throws/shots at the end of important games. My point is I don't care what you call it, I just don't want Dirk to miss the shots or fts, period. In general, if the Mavs don't win the championship this year, you can bet "choke" will be a highly used term. I don't really care though. I just don't want my team to lose, thats all I care about. Nobody will be called anything negative if we win 16 games in the playoffs. That is absolutely all that matters are those 16 wins. If we lose, then I don't care what they call it....they'll all be right until Dirk and all the Mavs prove they have what it takes to go all the way.
It already is, thats the entire leagues best ammo against the Mavericks. That we were up 2-0 and "choked". This year needs to be the year we erase that image because i'm tired of trolls using that when their teams didn't even make it to the finals. (especially teams we beat to make it there)

I think the L.A vs S.A matchup kind of sucks. The Spurs have struggled with L.A for some reason this year, but Denver at Phoenix is awesome because not only are they playing their own game they are playing it at an even faster pace (hopefully goes 5 or even 6 games) and as we've seen with PHX games at both Denver and Golden State the winner of two teams playing that style of ball is simply whoever is hot at the time.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #37
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

yeah - i want it to stay exactly as it is right now. we can handle the clips pretty easily, and denver can definitely extend a series against phoenix. they've got the big bodies and the high profile individual scorers to trample the suns at least once or twice.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #38
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

But there's only a half game difference currently between us playing Denver instead of Phoenix.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Clippers are handing the game back to the Kobes, and GS beat Houston rather handily tonight.

I dont care what anyone says....I'm a little scared of playing GS, and the stars are aligning as we speak(type)
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM   #40
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

We just might get the lakers.