Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute
Question is anyone else really sick of this MVP talk?

seriously - it's been going on since december, and I don't just mean on the boards.. it's in every nba broadcast, in almost every article or editorial, in every mavs radio segment, at every game... It's giving me a headache hearing all these shifting criterion.

it's just an award. it doesn't mean anything. winning games is what counts!

seriously - can we please just chill out?
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

yea pretty much, but I can't help myself it seems.

I'm not crazy about the MVP chants at the arena at all, I think it embarresses the dirkster.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394

I'm not crazy about the MVP chants at the arena at all, I think it embarresses the dirkster.
he deserves those MVP chants though. I agree though as it really does not matter as long as the Mavs win the title; although it would be nice
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't disagree, he deserves them, but I feel it distracts him from what he is most interested in, winning the game. So I'm just not crazy about them.

I know he also has to block all of that stuff out but as a fan, I'm not crazy about making it harder for him.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

they talk about it so much because thats how sports are marketed now.
players are sold not teams
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I don't mind it, it's a big story and it's good that Dirk is getting more recognition.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

but - it's just so very ubiquitous. i mean UGH everywhere I go.

i hate mvp talk. especially when it begins in december.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
but - it's just so very ubiquitous. i mean UGH everywhere I go.

i hate mvp talk. especially when it begins in december.
I agree that it did start too early, and it's being overly publicized, but I'm glad Dirk is getting some deserved recognition.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I think Cuban's tirade at the officials embarresses him more and has a more negative effect on Dirk's game.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
I think Cuban's tirade at the officials embarresses him more and has a more negative effect on Dirk's game.
red... herring...?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Since the Mavs have never had an MVP, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that current Mavs fans would be excited about the possibility.

I mean, this is our franchise's 28th year. That's kindof a long, long time...
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #12
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
red... herring...?
Not really. Cuban orchestrated the MVP campaign. I'd rather have Cuban focused on leading the MVP chant if only for a couple of minutes a game, if it takes his freaking mind off of ranting on the refs.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #13
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He needs to get over it (actually I don't think it bothers him). It's very traditional to chant MVP for candidates or past winners. That isn't media hype, it's fan love.

Dirk said he would be honored to win MVP, and he said he appreciates fans supporting him. The thing he doesn't like is media hype, or any sort of official "petition".
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:22 AM   #14
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I'll start caring about the MVP after the Mavs win a championship. Until then, I couldn't care less about it, and yes, it's become annoying for me to even hear about it.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

You bet your ass I care about Dirk winning MVP.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #16
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

I should have probably rephrased post #14. What I meant by "couldn't care less about it" is that on a relative scale, it doesn't mean much compared to the Mavs winning a championship. In fact, I'd gladly give all of the MVP's Dirk deserved in the past 3 years and the next 3 years for just one championship. Gladly.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Since the Mavs have never had an MVP, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that current Mavs fans would be excited about the possibility.

I mean, this is our franchise's 28th year. That's kindof a long, long time...

I think that the "current mav fan" knows what Dirk knows....

It's not about 70 wins. It's not about the #1 seed. It's not about MVPS.

It's about the banner and the rings.

Thats all it is. That's all there is.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 AM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
I should have probably rephrased post #14. What I meant by "couldn't care less about it" is that on a relative scale, it doesn't mean much compared to the Mavs winning a championship. In fact, I'd gladly give all of the MVP's Dirk deserved in the past 3 years and the next 3 years for just one championship. Gladly.
As would I. But really, the MVP isn't nothing. If Dirk doesn't win at least one before his career is over, it will be a crime. I definitely care about him winning it, and by no means do have any intention of "chilling out" as nowhereman puts it.

The answer to your question, nowhereman, is no. We can not just chill out. It's important to me. Seriously.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:43 AM   #19
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
As would I. But really, the MVP isn't nothing. If Dirk doesn't win at least one before his career is over, it will be a crime. I definitely care about him winning it, and by no means do have any intention of "chilling out" as nowhereman puts it.

The answer to your question, nowhereman, is no. We can not just chill out. It's important to me. Seriously.
I agree with that. If Dirk doesn't win it this year, it's pretty much already a crime.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:00 AM   #20
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

being named MVP = getting more ref respect ==> MVP award = important
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
Not when he's physically trying to make a ft shot imo.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
Not really. Cuban orchestrated the MVP campaign. I'd rather have Cuban focused on leading the MVP chant if only for a couple of minutes a game, if it takes his freaking mind off of ranting on the refs.
Oh I don't mind the mvp campaign at all to be honest. that was one night and I thought it pretty cool. I now see dirk mvp t-shirts walking around and I like that.

But getting into that when the game is tight and dirk has to conentrate on sinking a ft, I just don't like. It smacks of let-down imo during the game.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I think that the "current mav fan" knows what Dirk knows....

It's not about 70 wins. It's not about the #1 seed. It's not about MVPS.

It's about the banner and the rings.

Thats all it is. That's all there is.
Once again, we're not players. We're allowed to care about the less important things.

And I care very much about Dirk winning the MVP. I'll gladly trade it for a championship, but I'd much rather have both.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Once again, we're not players. We're allowed to care about the less important things.

And I care very much about Dirk winning the MVP. I'll gladly trade it for a championship, but I'd much rather have both.

Um, I'm all about Dirk winning MVP, but to trade it for a Championship??? Really? I mean, really? For real-real? MVP for Championship? You're serious? Is that a typo? Did you mean to say Championship for MVP? I understand the "both" part, but the other part boggles my mind - was that a statement of bravado? Are you sure that's what you meant to type? MVP over Championship??? Really?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Refreshingly honest. I applaud it. May not agree with it but I applaud it.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #26
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
being named MVP = getting more ref respect ==> MVP award = important
That may be the only reason I still care about the MVP for Dirk.

Otherwise. I'm sort of looking forward to him being shafted again. The voters will look back at the PHX game, and give it to Nash. They won't even notice the way Dirk personally made sure the Mavs won the next 2 games and didn't spin into a funk like Stevie's team did. 2 straight 4th quarters of brilliance, against the best team in the East, and a surging Boston squad that next beat SA on the 2nd night of a back to back. O yeah, then the Mavs whipped Lebron.

Any great player can win a big game like Nash did. Being Most Valuable overall means bringing it every night, carrying the team some nights, boosting the ego of your center with a few assists the next, making room for your sidekick to make it to the all star game, being the decoy that gets Jet those open 4th quarter jump shots.

The best argument for Dirk is that he keeps getting better. His assist average for March is up 25% from November's. He went from 2.9 in November, to 3.4 in December to 4.3 in March. We don't know what he'll improve next, but we know he's not done getting better. Again, all this stuff is too subtle for MVP voters who base their choice on a few nationally televised games and Sportscenter highlights. I just hope when they shaft Dirk this time, he gets to take his anger out on Shaq and DWade, ending with a real party on South Beach, with the O'Brien trophy in hand.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
The best argument for Dirk is that he keeps getting better. His assist average for March is up 25% from November's. He went from 2.9 in November, to 3.4 in December to 4.3 in March.
Thank YOU for the stats. He's really starting to get it, isn't he. His game is so much less effort this year than last, last year he HAD to make that shot or HAD to take it to the hoop for a foul. This year he dishes it to a team-mate to beat the doubleteam. It's great to watch, just great. It's great to see our centers have to be covered again as well.

4.3 Wow...that would put him top 50 in the league. And the page has NOTHING but guards and swingmen on it. 4.3-2.6career is just awesome. That would be a 1.7 jump this year. Maybe avery's figured out something as well this year when last year he just had dirk beating his head against doubles.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Quote:
Otherwise. I'm sort of looking forward to him being shafted again. The voters will look back at the PHX game, and give it to Nash. They won't even notice the way Dirk personally made sure the Mavs won the next 2 games and didn't spin into a funk like Stevie's team did.
But the voters WILL notice the game on April 1st in Phoenix. If Dallas wins that one, the headlines will favor Dirk again.

Storys:

"Two weeks ago Nash stole Dirk's award - today/yesterday Dirk got it back"

"Dallas 3, Phoenix 1"

"Dirk: "I will sleep well tonight""
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 PM   #29
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Oh I don't mind the mvp campaign at all to be honest. that was one night and I thought it pretty cool. I now see dirk mvp t-shirts walking around and I like that.

But getting into that when the game is tight and dirk has to conentrate on sinking a ft, I just don't like. It smacks of let-down imo during the game.
I can certainly understand you point. I think it's stupid for home fans to do anything that might be potentially distracting when a home team player is shooting FT's. I would agree that when Dirk is shooting FT's is an inappropriate time for the MVP chant.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
I can certainly understand you point. I think it's stupid for home fans to do anything that might be potentially distracting when a home team player is shooting FT's. I would agree that when Dirk is shooting FT's is an inappropriate time for the MVP chant.
I sit in the south end zone at AAc and back in December had the misfortune of starting one of the 1st MVP chants after Dirk made a huge play. He clanked the and 1 free throw. I don't chant so much anymore.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #31
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The voters will look back at the PHX game, and give it to Nash. They won't even notice the way Dirk personally made sure the Mavs won the next 2 games and didn't spin into a funk like Stevie's team did.
You know, when you think about it, if Marion doesn't get that offensive rebound, then Nash goes down as the guy who missed last-second shot. Worth considering...

By the way, I think some of you guys misunderstood jthig!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #32
nowhereman
Diamond Member

ARGH.

if it wasn't dirk, how much fun would we, as nba fans have in reading or watching or listening to everyone drool about how some random guy deserves to be mvp.

i think talking about mvp candidates should be banned until march.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #33
G-Man
Platinum Member

Quote:
ARGH.

if it wasn't dirk, how much fun would we, as nba fans have in reading or watching or listening to everyone drool about how some random guy deserves to be mvp.

i think talking about mvp candidates should be banned until march.
What makes this one controversial is the possibility of Nash winning 3 straight MVP's. That gives it league wide interest. As many say its a 2 man race with Dirk and Steve, it generates more heat on Dirk, helped now by that double overtime showdown on national tv. When they play again, how many times do you think we'll see replays of Dirk missing FT's and jump shots?

As a Mavs fan, I think if they screw Dirk, it will add more edge to his game for the playoffs, so I'll be equally happy whether he wins or loses.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Um, I'm all about Dirk winning MVP, but to trade it for a Championship??? Really? I mean, really? For real-real? MVP for Championship? You're serious? Is that a typo? Did you mean to say Championship for MVP? I understand the "both" part, but the other part boggles my mind - was that a statement of bravado? Are you sure that's what you meant to type? MVP over Championship??? Really?
I'm...confused. Is this a joke?

When you say "I'll gladly trade X for Y", what you're saying is you'd rather have Y. If I trade X for Y, I'm giving X away, and receiving Y. We traded Jamison FOR Stack and the pick....right?

So when I say "I really want Dirk to win the MVP, but I'll gladly trade it for a championship, I mean I want the championship.

I mean...that seems obvious to me...I guess maybe you were joking.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-25-2007 at 09:27 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #35
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The best argument for Dirk is that he keeps getting better. His assist average for March is up 25% from November's. He went from 2.9 in November, to 3.4 in December to 4.3 in March.
[stupid phoenix fan]but... but... only NASH makes his teammates better lol!!![/stupid phoenix fan]
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #36
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:

Exactly how I feel. We can care about things like this, we don't have to think the championship is the ONLY important thing even if it is most important. I care about Dirk winning MVP, and I care about the championship. Like you said, I want both.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So when Dirk gets the MVP trophy sometime in the whatever round it is, and then Nash and the Suns skip to the NBA finals after ousting the mavs in the WCF you'll all feel good about that?

ask charles barkley how he's enjoying his MVP trophy. It must be easy to hold with his ringless fingers.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #38
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
So when Dirk gets the MVP trophy sometime in the whatever round it is, and then Nash and the Suns skip to the NBA finals after ousting the mavs in the WCF you'll all feel good about that?

ask charles barkley how he's enjoying his MVP trophy. It must be easy to hold with his ringless fingers.
First of all, the Suns won't beat the Mavs. Second of all, obviously we'd all be upset about the Mavs losing and the season would overall be a disappointment. But that doesn't mean we can't or we won't enjoy the MVP and high regular season win total.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 AM   #39
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I want the Mavs to win a championship before any Maverick wins a MVP (it's okay if they happen in the same reason). If Dirk is crowned a MVP and we don't get the title this year, I think it moves him in the Steve Nash direction aka BRILLIANT player, questionable WINNER.

Which is utter bullshit

In conclusion, I hope Dirk wins them both but winning a MVP won't matter when the votes are tallied but only when he hoists a championship trophy. Until then, it is a hallow mini-Steve Nash coronation.

EDIT: To make things more clear, I will be more disappointed in Dirk if he wins the MVP but doesn't get the championship then if he loses them both because he looks more like Nash, who is the world's best player through 82 games but somehow ends his season with a loss.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 03-26-2007 at 03:30 AM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #40
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Lastly, to get to the original poster's point, as little importance I give to the MVP award, it's been fun because it's much more debate-able then anything that's gone on - player minutes, coaching styles, playoff seeding....

... in fact, I would have to say the hottest topics of the season have been MVP award, Hollinger ratings and Cuban's goatee.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote