Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-20-2003, 09:58 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default who's better in their prime.. GP or Kidd?

vote please..but i'm not starting a poll..

i'll go with Payton..any and every day of the week
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: who's better in their prime.. GP or Kidd?

Kidd, even not in his prime.

And I prefer Nash -in his prime- than GP.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on who is playing with them. GP and Kidd bring different things to the table to complement their teammates, but in their prime overall I'll take the Glove.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

There's no question it's Payton.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:02 AM   #5
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Well Kidd is 28-29, so he should have at least 4-5 years left in his prime and then some good years after that. If Kidd keeps on the course I think he will generally be considered the better player.

Both guys have off the court issues that are considerations though. Obviously Kidd's spousal abuse is a terrible thing, but Payton is just a hard guy to get along with.

So if Jason continues his high level of play, I think it is safe to say that he will be considered the better player when their careers are finished.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:13 AM   #6
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I would have to go with Rhylan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

its Payton,and its not even a tough choice.
i mean,JK is a good PG,the best we have right now,a leader,and has nice stats,but GP,in his good days,he was just unbelievable.

in 99/00 he averaged 24.2/9/6.5,while being probably the best defensive guard in the league,and one of the best in history.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #8
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

duh....Payton. If you think about it, Payton probably would've did the same thing with the Nets as Kidd did.

Also, Payton was more valueable to Seattle than Kidd was to Pheonix. You would have never seen a Payton-for-Maubury trade.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:08 PM   #9
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

payton.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The Glove.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 06:28 PM   #11
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

The Glove. Glove is a better scorer, defender.

I think GP is better than Kidd even now.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
Dirks Cuzin

Dirks Cuzin is on a distinguished road

GP
Old 06-20-2003, 06:42 PM   #13
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Payton

Named All-NBA First-Team in 1998, 2000, All-NBA Second Team in 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999 and All-NBA Third Team in 2001
Selected to the NBA All-Defensive First Team eight consecutive seasons (1994-2001)
Named Defensive Player of the Year in 1996 and was the first guard to win the award since Michael Jordan in 1987-88
Selected to the NBA All-Star Team seven straight seasons (1994-98, 2000-01) and was voted as a starter in 1997 and 1998

Not many people can beat that

Old 06-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

GP he almost won the thing with shawn kemp. Kidd couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The east coast media overrates kidd , marbury didn't have a healthy kenyon, let alone even have jefferson or collins.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:30 PM   #15
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

As far as all- around play, I'd have to go with Payton in his prime
Old 06-21-2003, 08:39 PM   #16
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
GP he almost won the thing with shawn kemp. Kidd couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The east coast media overrates kidd , marbury didn't have a healthy kenyon, let alone even have jefferson or collins.
Yeah, but i do think that Van Horn is better than Jefferson.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

jefferson played better in the playoffs this year than van horn did in the playoffs last year.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #18
one long blue sock
Golden Member

He didn't against Detroit and SA, as much as i love the kid. He needs to develop more of a perimeter game. And he needs to gain more Confidence.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

wow..pretty overwhelming response in favor of payton.

i'm glad everyone didn't drink the Kidd Kool-Aid that the media tries to shove down our throat.

shocking statement of the month... i hope Kidd does go to San Antonio.

Why? Because it means that they will be giving the minutes of a good PG in Parker to a better PG in Kidd.

But guess what, it also means that they probably don't address the needs at another key position..such as the 5 spot or another PF.

I'd rather the spurs make a slight upgrade in bringing in kidd than have them actually address a need.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:14 AM   #20
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Tim Duncan's original position is center... Malik Rose is fully capible of being the starting PF, he averaged 10.4 and 6.4 in just 24 minutes. Although JO is alot better than Rose, Kidds alot better than Parker.

And i wouldn't bet JO is gonna be a Spur.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #21
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

Why? Because it means that they will be giving the minutes of a good PG in Parker to a better PG in Kidd.

But guess what, it also means that they probably don't address the needs at another key position..such as the 5 spot or another PF.

I'd rather the spurs make a slight upgrade in bringing in kidd than have them actually address a need.
But there is talk that Parker could land a HIGH draft pick - up to the 4th pick in the draft.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3

But there is talk that Parker could land a HIGH draft pick - up to the 4th pick in the draft.

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:32 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

I understand that MFFL...i know JO probably won't be a spur..but i would look to adding a player like him and keeping parker before I looked to trade parker for the #4 pick and add kidd.

Just my opinion.

And one long blue sock, I like Rose as well..but, can you imagine having a lineup that sometimes features rose, duncan and O'neal?...and at others, having rose to spell duncan or o'neal?

Rose could get 30-35 minutes coming off of the bench... that would be a dominating team..along with parker running the point

now, that's all well and good, but if o'neal resigns in indiana, screw that idea. but, there would be other options that would fit nicely