Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-08-2001, 02:03 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I won't be around for a while so I hope Rob and dallmav and even Murph can keep things going smoothly while I'm gone. My life has just been turned upside down and I just don't know where to go from here. My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer yesterday, and will be undergoing the various operations and chemotherapy needed to sustain her a while longer. She has already begun making preparations for after the operations... Up until yesterday, she has been the strongest, most active, and fearless person I've ever known. How could this have happened? I wish I only knew. I plan on dropping school and work, and really don't know where to go from here.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2001, 05:48 PM   #2
epicfrog

epicfrog is on a distinguished road

Pardon the silence, man. That's horrible.
Hope everything goes well with your family.
Old 12-08-2001, 07:40 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Ahh man, that's horrible news [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] . Hope everything works out with you and your mom. Your family is in my prayers.

I'll try my best to hold the fort together. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:22 AM   #4
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I will be praying for your mother and you. I'm very sorry.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:22 AM   #5
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I will be praying for your mother and you. I'm very sorry.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:26 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes for you and your family. This is a tough time of the year to have an illness in the family - everyone expects you to be upbeat because of the holidays. Your family will be in my prayers tonight.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 10:25 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

DJ, you take care of your family and we will take care of the Mavs. It is the least that we can do.
If there's anything that anyone can do..all of us are here for you. Your mother, you, and your family will be in my prayers.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 05:00 PM   #8
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I'm praying for you too man...good luck.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:03 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

DJ,
just came home from a weekend vacation and saw this.
This is just horrible. IĀ“m very sorry for you and your family.
IĀ“ve been through a pretty similar situation with my family last year, and I know that something like this is a blow for even the strongest person.
I wish you and your family all the strenght you need, and really hope your mom gets healthy again.
Actually IĀ“m not a religious person and I donĀ“t pray but I will include you and your mom in my thoughts. I donĀ“t know if itĀ“s actually ok for me to say that but: if there is any possibility please donĀ“t drop school as you would regret that IĀ“m sure. I know that all of this normal life stuff might seem unimportant and senseless right now, but itĀ“s not.
Keep your head up, and all the best once again to you and your family. Ah thatĀ“s just so horrible, IĀ“m very touched (sorry didnĀ“t want to get too personal on all that it just has got something to to with my own bio).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:35 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

My mother was diagnosed with liver cancer two days ago, and will be released from the hospital tomorrow. The tumor is indeed malignant, and due to its size and location, it is inoperable and unresectable. It also cannot be treated with new technologies such as radiofrequency ablation (which has been doing wonders for cancer patients lately) or other forms of radiation because of its location between vital organs. So the only thing the hospitals can do now is treat her with chemotherapy to lessen the pain and make her remaining days as comfortable as possible. The doctors have given her only a few months to live.

I still can't believe this is happening. Just a couple weeks ago, my family was enjoying Thanksgiving together. Now, we'll be spending perhaps our last Christmas together as a whole. When I was first told of my mother's possible disease, I was horrifed and quite frankly scared out of my mind. Pancreatic cancer (which is what we all had originally thought was the cause of her pains) is in all honesty a death warrant. So you can imagine how hopeful and even relieved I felt when my aunt told me the tumor was most likely located in her gallbladder (according to her catscan). If that were the case, the doctors could have just removed her gallbladder and that would be the end of that. I prayed to God that night and went to sleep hopeful for the next day's outcome. The next day, the doctors told us her cancer wasn't in her gallbladder - it was in her liver. To make things even worse, it was located in a critical area and had grown significantly in size, thus making it impossible to remove surgically. The only thing they could do was insert a draining apparatus in her bileduct to drain the excess bile causing her jaundice (her skin and eyes turned yellow last week as a result of the bile buildup). This will be her second night at the hospital. She's coming home tomorrow, but the only thing the doctors can do for her now is chemotherapy, which will probably just cause more pain in the end.

My mother has less than a year left..anywhere from two to twelve months. And I plan to do anything and everything in my power to make her remaining days as comfortable and full of love as possible. I love my mother and can't imagine life without her.

Sorry if I rambled too much..the last few days have been the worst days of my life. And unfortunately, things will only get worst from here. Thanks for listening, and thanks for the prayers.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:55 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

dj- I really feel for you. I wish I could say things will get better. But at least you can spend time together and in later years you will treasure that time. Again you are in my prayers.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:48 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

DJ, I'll keep your mother, you and your family in my prayers.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 11:42 AM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Ah man, that's Horrible news [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] . I wish their was something I could say that would make things better. Just stay strong and charish every minute. You and your family are in my Prayers.

Old 12-13-2001, 09:52 PM   #14
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

DJ,
you donĀ“t have to say sorry for anything.
This is even more horrible news to you and your family.
ItĀ“s really sad all this is happening and I feel for you and your family.
Nothing clever to say here, so I just wish you all the strenght you need. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Actually I have to say sorry if I got too personal in my first post.
Over the last two years we lost two persons in my family. ThatĀ“s why I was very touched. IĀ“m not quite over it I guess.
Stay strong and keep your faith.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:00 PM   #15
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry to hear the news about your Mother DJ, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] you and your mom have my thoughts and prayers.

Here's to the moms! For without whom, we would not know life's joy.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:17 AM   #16
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

DJ, Im so sorry to hear this.

My mom had a cancer scare this January and it turned our lives upside down, too, even though it turned out to be something else.

Your in my prayers cause I know my mom is the most solid person in my life as well.

Hang in there and know that any one of us at this board would do something for you if you asked.

Stay strong.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:49 AM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

DJ if you're still checking the board, hang in there. My aunt battled through that a few years ago and I'm happy to say she's still with us. So my man you and your family are definately in my prayers be strong because that's probably what she needs the most is for people around her to be strong.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:25 PM   #18
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

DJ, my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a little over three years ago. She was diagnosed in October 98 and was told to enjoy her last holidays with the family. Her physician decided to go ahead and perform some surgery to remove the cancerous portion to see if it would extend her life (but the debate was whether to have surgery and go through a long recovery period and die or take chemo/pain medications and have a more dignified time remaining). As a family we chose to proceed with the surgery. The doctors removed half of the pancreas and reported that they believe that they got most of the cancer. After about 2 months of recovery, they performed a CT scan and detected what they thought was a little tumor remaining in the pancreas. They decided to go through chemo with an experimental drug (I don't know the name but I can find out) and she went through pure hell for about 4 months. I am happy to say that she is cancer free (or at least in remission) after an initial diagnosis of 3 to 5 months to live. It is by the grace of GOD she is here with us today. All I can say, it was the most traumatic time in my family's life. We went through all kinds of emotions (I would cry spontaneously) but eventually you do work it out. The best way my mom handled it (when she still didn't know the outcome) was for everyone in the family to let her do what she wanted to do...Example: everyone's instinct was to help her with dinner, or handle grandkids, go shopping for her, etc., however after a while she got tired of us helping her - she didn't want any help. We noticed she was much more happier and her stamina was much better when she did what she wanted to do, (liberated). I know I'm rambling, and that your family is going through a lot right now, but keep all options open...Do as much research as you can...make your mom keep her normal routine as much as possible - and keep her busy and her mind occupied. God bless...I'll be praying for you and your family...
Old 12-14-2001, 02:56 PM   #19
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Keep your head up as much as possible and try to be as strong as you can for her and yourself and enjoy as much time with her as possible, its crazy how tragedies like yours and your families DJ put the TRUELY important things in your life into perspective. Best wishes, micah
Old 12-15-2001, 10:50 AM   #20
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I don't have much experience on the subject, and can't really think of anything to say, but try to stay optimistic and you're still in my prayers.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:39 AM   #21
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Dear DJ,
I have no words, only tears, to express my thoughts for you and your family. How I wish that I could spare you this pain.

I will ask God for mercy.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:52 AM   #22
djb
Administrator

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes..these haven't been the happiest of days but we're all slowly learning to cope, while at the same time maintaining a more upbeat attitude. My mother's condition is worsening - as to be expected - but her attitude remains positive. Feeling depressed and helpless isn't doing me or anyone else any good, so we're all continuing on with our lives. Keeping my mother happy and comfortable is the number one priority, but school and work will continue as usual. Thanks again for all the kind words and support.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:28 PM   #23
Fidel
Diamond Member

DJ,
great to have you back.
Glad to see you didnĀ“t drop school.
Once again my best wishes to you and your family.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:32 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yes, it is VERY good to have you back dj. You've been missed. We're still prayin for ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2002, 11:33 AM   #25
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I'm usually burning the midnight oil when I get in here, but ...

DJ, just wanted to let you know that you and your family have been on my mind a lot this morning ...