Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-06-2002, 05:15 PM   #1
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Anybody know of a place on the internet where you can check the value of comic books?? Think I may sell a few of mine.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

ebay.

That's where you'll find out how much your books are really worth because that's the price that people are paying for them.

But if you want to know the "supposed" value of books just list the book and condition and I'll look it up in my Overstreet.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:41 PM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Ok, I'll need to go dig 'em outta closet later. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2002, 09:32 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple thousand comics I need to unload one of these days (more than four long boxes full of 'em..95% of them with backing boards and bagged in either cheapo polyprop bags or mylites/mylars). Used to spend sooo much money buying them every month..man that was an expensive hobby! Don't feel like posting each of them up on ebay though. Talk about a pain in the ass!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:37 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Post them in lots of 25 or so. You won't get as much as you might from the individual issues, but you'll get a lot more than you would from a comic store. Some of your books might be worth posting individually though.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:55 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Yea that's probably true. At least the Spawn and original Uncanny X-Men series should sell for a few bucks. I never really liked Spawn, but since that was the big thing back then, I bought like six copies of issue 1 and had every ish up until I quit. Same with X-Men..never read the old back issues, but bought up tons of them at conventions just so I could have them as "collector's items" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:00 PM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

What knida info do you need MFFL?

Old 01-06-2002, 10:06 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

Name of comic, the issue number, and an estimate of the condition of the book. Example - Spawn #1 - Near Mint. If you don't know how to grade I'll try to make an estimate based on the age of the book. Usually books up to 10 years old that have been bagged and boarded are in Near Mint to Mint condition.

As for Spawn, there are a couple of issues that are worth a LOT more than #1. I'll look them up when I get to work tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:08 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Ok, here's one.

Captain America #4 from 1977. mmm, near perfect condition I guess.

Old 01-06-2002, 10:10 PM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Actually, I'd like to know this ones worth more.

The Punisher #1 good condition.

Old 01-06-2002, 10:11 PM   #11
MFFL
Guru

LOL - Sorry but my Overstreet is at work. Make me a list of the books and I'll look them up tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
djb
Administrator

Been perusing through the ebay offerings and damnnnn those comics are goin for cheap! I remember when stuff like the early X-Men, Spawn, Gen 13, gold foil edition Image comics, etc were all listed at pretty high prices. This sucks! The death of Superman ish..fully shrinkwrapped..was hot shit back when I was a kid (got up to $75 but eventually dropped to a still respectable $25). Now it's going for only a couple bucks on fleabay [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:18 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, I noticed that too DJ. I found a site that sells several of the comics I have and I think $6 bucks is the highest so far. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2002, 10:29 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

Now you know the hell I go through on a daily basis. People come in every day and think their books are worth a ton of money (and they were worth a lot in the early '90's) but now the books aren't really worth anything. I get lots of upset people when I offer $10-20 a long box for their books that were worth $20+ apiece just a few years ago.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:39 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

Do you deal in comics professionally? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to store all these comics for "future's sake" (as collector's items, for my kids, whatever) or to just unload them all at once.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #16
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Good question DJ. My highest is still $6 lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Old 01-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

I own a comic store but I'm not some great comic guru. I will say this in all confidence - your comic books CANNOT be worth less in the future. This is the all time low for back issue prices, so they can't help but go up. How much (if at all) I can't guess.
Old 01-06-2002, 10:43 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Hehe I'll take $6 if I can get that much for each of my comics [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Heheh yea right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

Oh cool. What shop do you own? Or maybe you'd rather not divulge that personal info [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I used to get all my local stuff from Lone Star on Forest Ln and Atomic Age on Midway/Trinity Mills (I think this one closed down).
Old 01-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #20
djb
Administrator

Oh and it REALLY pissed me off when stores started making you show id to buy crap like Spawn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:48 PM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

$20.00 for this comic.

AND I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN PERFECT CONDITION TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2002, 10:59 PM   #22
MFFL
Guru

Unfortunately Spawn is an exceptionally violent comic. It really shouldn't be sold to anyone under 18.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:55 PM   #23
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Ok, think I looked up all the comics I have that MIGHT be worth somethin. Highest one sells for $20, several $6 comics, all the rest were like 1-3 bucks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] .

Think I may hold on to 'em for a while. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2002, 12:31 PM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, i'm in the same boat. lots of old comics. i stopped collecting a long time ago, but they're still at my parent's house. i'd like to know how much some of them are worth. and yeah, dj it was an expensive hobby.

i remember one time i bought ghostrider #1 when it came out. i think it got up to be worth 30 bucks. then i bought the second edition (like a reprint) and sold it to this bookstore with a comic section (not a comic shop, they'd have known the difference) for the price of the first edition. i made out like a bandit. i think i made like a 20-25 dollar profit.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2002, 02:44 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Spawn #18 & #21 are both very limited print runs and list for $15 dollars each. I sell them frequently for $25 each and they sell faster at that price than Spawn #1 at $20. Spawn #1 is actually an overinflated price - the print run was VERY high and was available in ToysRUs as part of a comic pack.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:20 PM   #26
djb
Administrator

I was just wondering MFFL..do you buy any comic in good condition? Or do you only get rare or higher-valued books? I know some shops will pay like a few bucks per lot (not much considering the cover prices but oh well).
Old 01-08-2002, 11:47 PM   #27
MFFL
Guru

I buy basically any books for 5 to 10 cents each. That way if it is complete junk (like all of the Valiant books), I can throw them in the quarter box.

Something you might want to consider is donating the books to a children's hospital - you get to write off the entire value of the book and you make a kid happy.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:49 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

I should probably do that with all my old Archie and GI Joe and other worthless books.

How come Valiant stuff is worthless? I remember when crap like Harbinger and Magnus Robot Fighter were going through the roof. When I quit, that stuff started to decline and fade away, but I mean they were still worth a few bucks.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:50 PM   #29
djb
Administrator

I have a few hundred X-Men and tons of other Marvel crap (I fell for all the diecut-embossed-hologram-shrinkwrapped-special edition-number 1/2 books that came out). Also bought EVERY Image book that was released during its first few years of existence..before they started to emphasize quantity over quality.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:06 AM   #30
MFFL
Guru

Valiant stuff is worthless for two reasons. First - it was overprinted. There are too many Valiant comics in relation to the number of Valiant collectors. Second - Valiant went out of business, thus there is not a demand for back issues by new people starting the series. Supply and demand - there is a huge supply of the books and limited demand so naturally the price is going to be very low.

Most of the early Image books suffer from the same problems as the Valiant books. The late 80's/early 90's comics were printed for a speculator boom which didn't have any substance. The bubble popped and cost a lot of people a lot of money. Thank God I didn't open until after the speculators had moved on and the industry started returning to normal.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #31
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I was just looking to put a few more bucks in my pocket. I'm not sure it's really worth it though. I'd MAYBE get $100 for all my comics. MAYBE [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] .