Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-05-2002, 05:19 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Kerr To Make Second Run in S.A.

Spurs Deal Daniels, McCaskill, Smith to Blazers

Aug 5, 2002

The San Antonio Spurs today announced they have obtained Steve Kerr and Erick Barkley from the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Antonio Daniels, Amal McCaskill and Charles Smith. In addition the Spurs have regained their 2003 second round pick which had been traded to the Blazers in July of 2001 as part of the Steve Smith-Derek Anderson deal.

The 6-3, 180-pound Kerr is a 14-year NBA veteran. He has won four NBA Championships and was a member of the Spurs 1999 Championship team. Kerr spent three seasons with the Spurs before being traded to Portland – along with Derek Anderson and a 2003 second round pick – for Steve Smith on July 25, 2001. In his NBA career Kerr has played for Phoenix, Cleveland, Orlando, Chicago, San Antonio and Portland. He is the NBA’s all-time career leader in three-point field goal percentage – with a .459 (677-1475) mark. During the 2001-02 season Kerr averaged 4.1 points and 1.0 assist in 11.9 minutes in 65 games for the Blazers.

Barkley was selected by the Trail Blazers in the first round of the 2000 NBA Draft, with the 28th overall pick, after playing two seasons at St. John’s University. During the 2001-02 season he saw action in 19 games, averaging 3.1 points and 1.8 assists in 12.0 minutes per contest. The 6-1, 185-pound Barkley is 24 years old.

Old 08-05-2002, 05:21 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think getting Kerr was a good move. I'm glad he is out of the hell that is Portland.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:21 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

boy, did the spurs get raped.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:23 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, forgot to post that I got that from NBA.com

I like the trade from SA's side. They get a veteran in Kerr (again) and a nice backup in Barkley. He should get his playing time now.

Of course, I wouldn't mind having Daniels. Makes me wonder if Portland has plans for Wells??

(edit)

I don't know if I'd say they got raped, as long as SA filled the roles they were looking for.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Hmm...

I like Kerr a lot--his shot is one of the sweetest in the league to watch.

Still wonder about this trade. Doesn't look like SA got equal value. Was Daniels unhappy with his playing time in SA?

Any Spur followers reading the board with back story here?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 05:31 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Not a Spurs fan, but I was cruising the espn board to see what was said.

SlamDuncan posted this from Pop's comments on the radio:

1. Pop says it has nothing to do with the cap.

They were looking for backups for Tony..... (Claxton and Barkley) one of those two guys will be a backup.

He also said they were looking for leadership in Kerr since Avery and Terry Porter left.

In a thread right after this one, SlamDuncan also reported that Pop said that Cherokee Parks had returned to the Spurs. Haven't seen that online anywhere yet, though. Spurs fans don't seem real happy to have CP back. lol
Old 08-05-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me that Claxton showed enough last year when AI was out at the beginning of the year to show that he's capable of backing up Parker and then some. Barkley hasn't seen the court since he left St. John's. Doesn't make much sense to me. I work with some Spurs heads so maybe they'll know.

Looks to me like SA just felt like Daniels was burning a hole in their pocket and they had to make a deal. Or they didn't think he was going to get any better.

They must really think Ginobili is going to be a pimp.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:17 PM   #8
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere that the Spurs were looking to "dump" Daniels. It was a chemistry issue or personality conflict or something.

It looks like the Spurs are collecting spare-to-fair backup PG types with the addition of Claxton and now Barkley. These guys are more PGs than small SGs, so they may be just treading water with these guys until they sign Kidd this next offseason, or not.

Chemistry issues don't seem to be a concern in Portland, It's can you play or not.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:57 PM   #9
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

<< boy, did the spurs get raped. >>

in the butt
I don't really understand SA's side. Speedy is a great Back Up pg, so no need for Barkley. And Kerr is limited.
I understand trading Daniels if he was unhappy, but Charles Smith is a good player off the bench. I don't think he should have been thrown in.

Seems like they could have done better
Old 08-06-2002, 12:00 AM   #10
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Maybe Duncan didn't like Daniels and did like Kerr. With Duncan being *the* free agent next year, San Antonio would definitely take that into consideration.

There's also the issue of setting themselves up for a sign-and-trade for Kidd next year. Now they can offer New Jersey two decent point guards for him and still have a workable reserve of their own.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Also, Kerr is one dimensional, but the one thing he does, shoot 3-pointers, he does very well. San Antonio's offense has always been built around Duncan (and Robinson) down low and 3 point shooters on the outside. With Steve Smith so obviously done and Porter retiring, their 3 point game was much weaker than it has been. Kerr is a good fit to their offense.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:48 AM   #12
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Daniels has allways been a Mavericks killa.

I was glad to see him go.

One less person we have to worry about.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote