Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #201
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
By beating an offensive-struggling Redskins 14-10?
Does that mushroom print on your forehead hurt?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #202
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
And the Eagles were doing a comedy routine for 2.5 quarters today....simply awful.
I smiled really big when I saw that the Eagles tied with the Bengals.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #203
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Go Cowboys

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #204
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite moment of the game was on the 4th and 2 run that Barber converted to finish the game out because Roy E. Williams blocked two guys on the play. Great to see.

Contact Me
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #205
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
My favorite moment of the game was on the 4th and 2 run that Barber converted to finish the game out because Roy E. Williams blocked two guys on the play. Great to see.
I didn't see that until the replay. He was a beast against those two guys. Without those blocks Barber gets stuffed. That's sort of going unnoticed.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #206
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Security Blanket
Newman Wins Rematch In Moss Showdown

LANDOVER, MD - When the Redskins handed the Cowboys their first loss of the season back in September, cornerback Terence Newman didn't tell reporters he was hurting. He didn't say he probably re-aggravated an injury that would need surgery.

All he said was that he played arguably the worst game of his career.

So how fitting was it that his first game back since the sports hernia surgery, it was not only against Washington, but it just might have been the best game of his career.

Newman was everywhere on defense, leading the Cowboys to a 14-10 win over the Redskins in a game that might have just saved their season.

If anything, it was certainly his best game this season and it couldn't have come a better time.

In the past when Newman has been hurt, the Cowboys have eased him back in the lineup, playing him occasionally in spot duty, mostly in the nickel.

Yeah, forget that.

Not this time. Not only did the Cowboys throw Newman back into the fire, but they challenged him to do something this defense rarely does.

But this game was different. Maybe it was a must-win-game, or maybe it was just really, really important.

Whatever you call it, the Cowboys needed it. And they needed their best players to step up.

And not only that, but shadow the Redskins' best players, too.

Newman did that and more.

OK, Santana Moss won the first battle at Texas Stadium, torching the Cowboys, and mostly Newman, for eight catches for 145 yards.

This time around, Newman was healthy, and the Cowboys made sure he followed Moss all over the field.

Right side, left side, in the slot. Wherever Moss went, Newman shadowed.

And not just before the play, most importantly, Newman followed Moss between the whistles, too.

Moss has been dubbed a "Cowboys killer" for blistering the Cowboys in recent years. But on this day, Newman put an end to that.

He shut down the Redskins' top receiver, holding Moss to five catches for a measly 29 yards.

Not only that, but Newman came up with an interception of his own, his first of the season, and ran stride for stride on a deep ball to Moss in the fourth quarter that ended up incomplete.

Later in the fourth quarter, with the Redskins driving for a go-ahead touchdown and facing a critical fourth-and-six, Jason Campbell's pass to Moss on the right side was knocked away by Newman, giving the ball back to the Cowboys with 6:40 to play.

As it turned out, Washington would never get the ball again as the Cowboys, or make that Marion Barber, ran out the clock.

When you get a big win like that, there are game balls to be passed around. Pass one to Barber, please, and one to Jay Ratliff, too. Let's just hand one over to Romo so he doesn't have to catch one on his pinkie, but the way he came back after missing a month was huge.

But to me, Newman's play was just as big.

Moss might have taken the first meeting. Newman dominated the rematch.

"I was pumped. The first game I played I was hurt, I tried to fight through it and I didn't have a great game," Newman said. "I wanted to get healthy and come out here because I kept hearing my name on television. I had something to prove so my focus was to come out here and play my game."

And the best part was that the Cowboys actually let Newman . . . play HIS game.

Yes, Newman got to do what he does best. That's playing in your face, physical and aggressive at the line of scrimmage and fight for the football every time it goes in the air.

Moss is the best Washington has. Newman is the best guy to stop him. It was the game within the game and Newman won it.

"We put Newman on Moss and he played a great game," head coach Wade Phillips said. "We had to shut down Moss and he did that. I thought he was ready to play. He was challenged and I knew he was the kind of guy that would meet the challenge. Terence, you could tell in practice he was ready to go. We told him we were going to challenge him and put him on Moss and that's what he did."

Newman said he didn't ask for it this week. Actually, he said he stopped doing that a few years ago because he knows it hasn't been the Cowboys' scheme. Whether it was Mike Zimmer running the defense or Phillips and coordinator Brian Stewart in the current system, the Cowboys just haven't allowed cornerbacks to follow receivers all over the field.

With two weeks to prepare and knowing the importance of stopping Moss, the Cowboys made an exception.

"We played a lot of zone last year and a lot this year," Newman said. "But tonight, we just went to the man (coverage). I think that really helped because I don't think the Redskins were expecting that. Hats off to our coaches for making the switch. And I'm glad they challenged me to cover Santana. I had something to prove."

Newman proved quite a bit Sunday night.

He proved the Cowboys could indeed stop Santana Moss. He proved that playing man-to-man fits his style much better than zone. He proved he could make a game-changing play in the clutch, something his critics have questioned over the years.

More than anything, Newman took another step forward in proving, that when healthy, he indeed is one of the NFL's top cornerbacks.

Debate that last part all you want. But the Cowboys don't win this game Sunday night without Newman.

Bennett Catch Proves To Be Game-Winner

On the play that won the game for the Cowboys, a 25-yard seam pass to Martellus Bennett, the rookie and his quarterback might have been thinking the same thing: High and tight.

For Tony Romo, it's instinct. When the defense does this, throw it high to the big tight end. For Bennett, cradling the ball in the sweet spot after going up to make the catch is a learned technique, the product of tight ends coach John Garrett's constant reminders. It was the second touchdown catch of the year for Bennett, with both coming on the same play call.

On the first, Bennett out-jumped a couple Rams defenders to score a garbage time touchdown in a blowout loss to St. Louis. He was forced to restrain himself that time, despite the pride inherent in the first touchdown of his career. But this time, after jumping over Redskins safety Chris Horton, Bennett was free to do his dance, giving the Cowboys their go-ahead touchdown in the eventual 14-10 victory over the Washington Redskins here at FedExField.

The rookie likened the difference between his first two NFL scores as the equivalent to kissing Halle Berry instead of Oprah Winfrey. Bennett is one of the team's best talkers, but even he tired of describing the touchdown in the postgame locker room. By the 15th time, he said, the story was straight.

"I lined up and saw man-to-man coverage," he said. "Romo had been telling me to be ready the whole day. I came off the line and voided the defensive end. Then it was like slow motion. I gave Horton a little in-and-out Allen Iverson crossover move, then I just broke past him and the ball was in the air.

"Romo threw it up and I just went up and made a play on the ball. Martellus see ball, Martellus catch ball."

The ball he caught ended the third quarter, and eventually proved to be the difference in the game. The ensuing point after gave the Cowboys a 14-10 lead. When Washington's next drive stalled out, the Cowboys rode Marion Barber the remaining 6:40 to clinch the sorely-needed win.

Had the Cowboys settled for a field goal on the drive to tie the game at 10, the ending might have played out differently, since Washington was well into field goal range on their next drive.

While there were some preseason doubts about Bennett's maturity, the 6-7, 260-pounder has an important role on the Cowboys offense. He has made a few timely catches, but is also a valuable blocker. He called Sunday's win his best game in both pass and run blocking.

"Probably so," Bennett said. "It's something I take pride in. I had 700 pancakes in three seasons (in college). I'm like the Orlando Pace of Texas A&M."

It's not above Bennett to engage in hyperbole, but his blocking really was an important part of the 117 yards the Cowboys piled up on the ground Sunday night. After the game, Romo described the touchdown pass to Bennett from his angle.

"I think it was a good play by him, no question," Romo said. "He goes up and gets the ball, that's fantastic. I put it where I wanted to there. You've got to hold the safety to the other side. (LaRon) Landry's a good player, if you just eyeball someone he's going to go get it before it gets there."

If he could have out-jumped Bennett, that is.

Barber Closes Out Redskins On Final Drive

Long before Terrell Owens gave him "The Barbarian" nickname, which is certainly fitting for his bruising running style, Marion Barber already had a nickname.

Former head coach Bill Parcells, stealing a baseball term, dubbed Barber as his "closer" for his ability to grind out yards and chew up the clock in the fourth quarter.

Sunday night, with the game, and maybe even the season on the line, Barber earned both nicknames with one drive.

When the Cowboys took over the ball with 6:40 to play and leading by four, Barber ferociously pounded away on the Redskins, touching the ball on 11 straight plays, including 10 carries.

In barbaric fashion, he closed out the game for the Cowboys, who stormed out of FedEx Field Sunday night with a 14-10 win.

"That last drive was just outstanding for us," head coach Wade Phillips said. "Marion Barber was certainly the catalyst for that last drive. But he runs that way all the time and when the game is on the line, he's the guy we can give it to. So we did."

Did they ever.

The Cowboys took over and had two goals in mind. Milk the clock and pick up yards. Barber did both.

Here's how the drive went: Barber for 5, Barber for 7 - first down. Barber for 8, Barber for 5 - another first down. By then, there were about four minutes remaining because not only had the Cowboys kept the ball on the ground, but Barber on one play alertly went to the ground before going out of bounds to keep the clock ticking.

After the four straight runs, the Cowboys went back to Barber, who got no yards on his fifth straight carry, and then two more on the next play to set up a key third-and-eight from the Redskins' 36. So instead of giving the ball to Barber, the Cowboys just threw it to him, as Tony Romo dumped off a short pass to the running back, who darted up the middle for 10 yards and yet another first down.

The next set of downs went - Barber for 2, Barber for 3, Barber for 4 and then with the Cowboys facing fourth-and-one on the Redskins' 17 with just 1:08 to play, the Cowboys weren't thinking field goal. They went back to Barber, who took a pitch the right and made three yards for another first down. From there, the Cowboys simply kneeled on the ball to run out the clock.

Add it all up and Barber finished the game with 116 yards on 24 carries and added another 39 yards on six catches.

While the Redskins had trouble corralling Barber, the Cowboys' PR staff actually did a better job, getting the camera-shy running back to stop for a few minutes and chat with reporters.

Asked about his 11 straight touches on the final drive, Barber shrugged it off.

"I worked hard in the off-season and in practice, and I had the energy at the end of the game," said Barber, who might not do many interviews, but at least knows who to praise. "When you have guys up front making holes, it can happen."

Cowboys Stymie Banged-Up Portis

Last season Clinton Portis was the only back to break the century mark on the ground against the Cowboys, doing so in the season finale at FedEx Field.

Then he outdid himself in Week 4 of this season, going for 121 yards at Texas Stadium. He had 225 yards against the Cowboys in just his last two games against what has generally been a stout run defense.

So when word came out Portis was going to start Sunday night, despite the sprained MCL that kept him out of practice all week, some eyebrow-raising would have been justified for the Cowboys defenders. Wade Phillips said the Cowboys prepared for Portis during the week's practice, even though Redskins coach Jim Zorn called him just "50-50" on Monday.

He was listed as questionable on the official injury report Friday, but worked out before the game to decide if he was well enough to play.

"Before the game I had to come back and warm up before everybody got here, and I felt good," Portis said following the Cowboys 14-10 victory here Sunday night.

"The pain, well once you get adrenaline and all that going, you block out the pain."

And then there was the Redskins' first drive of the game, when Portis looked nimble as ever, carrying five times for 29 yards, including a nine-yard burst on a fourth-and-one, setting up Washington's first touchdown. He entered the game with 995 yards rushing, good for second best behind Adrian Peterson ion the NFL, and topped 1,000 on his first carry.

A short field helped Washington score its first touchdown to go up 7-0, but its running game, and with it the Redskins offense, was never able to duplicate the same success the rest of the evening. Portis ripped off a 20-yarder in the third quarter, but had just 19 yards on nine other carries, combined. How much of his struggles were injury-related and how many were the result of good Cowboys run defense is uncertain, but Sunday marked the second time in as many games he has been held in check after five straight games with more than 120 yards.

Despite the relative ineffectiveness, Portis wasn't second-guessing his decision to play in such an important game in the playoff race. "I know (it will be sore), but I'll worry about that when it gets here," he said. "I think that I had the opportunity to get out and help my teammates, so I needed to be out there."

D-Line Comes Up Big

For the Cowboys defense to match its second-best effort of the season on the scoreboard, things had to go right at the point of attack. While the secondary and linebackers played well in the win, it was the defensive line turning in its trademark performance of 2008.

With the six-man unit in heavy rotation, the Cowboys were able to get a level of productivity out of their front that hasn't been consistently seen so far this season. The three-man line was crucial in limiting the Redskins to only 228 total yards, with just 92 yards on the ground.

The front made plays in the passing game, too. Jay Ratliff had two sacks and three hits on Washington quarterback Jason Campbell, while tallying six total tackles.

Marcus Spears had two tackles, both right at the line of scrimmage, while Tank Johnson had one stop behind the line. Chris Canty had a tackle and broke up two passes, and even Stephen Bowen was able to get pressure, hitting Campbell once.

Ratliff applauded Spears specifically, and said his two sacks were the result of Washington's offensive line being forced to worry about pressure from other people.

"You had DeMarcus Ware, you had Greg Ellis rushing," Ratliff said. "That left me one-on-one, so I was just doing my job. All the credit goes to those guys, they did all the dirty work."

Spears said the unit's ability to make big stops against the run was important. All the activity at and behind the line of scrimmage wasn't present when Washington beat the Cowboys 26-24 earlier this season at Texas Stadium.

"We played smart," Spears said. "The last game we played them, we watched the film and there were a lot of guys getting out of their gaps. We just played sound football. We were where we were supposed to be. We all got on the board and we all made some plays. Anytime we do that, we're probably going to have success."

Overlooked Return?

While Tony Romo and Terence Newman had impressive returns after extended absences, don't forget about guard Kyle Kosier.

His teammates haven't. As Terrell Owens was leaving the locker room Sunday, he turned to teammate Roy Williams and said, "The guy we don't ever talk about is Kyle Kosier. He makes a big difference in there."

Kosier made his return to his starting left guard spot after missing the last six games with a foot injury he re-injured against Green Bay in Week 3 after missing the first two games with the same injury.

"It felt great to finally get back out there get the job done," Kosier said. "I wasn't thinking about (the injury). I was just going out there and playing. It was good. I said that I'm healthy and I'm just going for it."

While he might have been a little winded with his first game back in almost two months, Kosier said blocking for Marion Barber helps energize the line as well.

"Oh yeah, when you got a guy like Marion back there," Kosier said, "he energizes the entire offense with this running style. He was great tonight."

Game Points

* Cowboys cornerback Anthony Henry suffered a cramp in the third quarter while covering Antwaan Randle El and never returned. Rookie Mike Jenkins replaced him for the rest of the game.

* Among the Cowboys' game-day inactives were three injured players who did not make the trip - Felix Jones (hamstring), Isaiah Stanback (shoulder) and Bobby Carpenter (groin). The Cowboys also did not dress linemen Doug Free, Joe Berger and Montrae Holland, cornerback Quincy Butler and Brooks Bollinger was the inactive third quarterback.

* For the fourth time this season, the Cowboys did not give up a sack. Romo had only been dropped seven times in the first six games. When he went out, the Cowboys yielded 10 sacks in three games.

* Terence Newman's interception was just the fourth of the season for the Cowboys, and only the second by a cornerback, following Mike Jenkins' pick against the Giants.

* The Cowboys won the time-of-possession battle for the first time in three games. Owning the ball for 31 minutes, 14 seconds, it was a drastic change for the Cowboys from the first meeting with the Redskins, when they possessed the ball for just 21:51.

* Whether it was rust from a three-game absence, or the swirling winds at FedEx Field, Tony Romo had his lowest quarterback rating of the season at 72.8. His two interceptions were QB-rating killers, although the second one bounced into the air after Terrell Owens lost possession from a jarring tackle. In the three games before his injury, Romo had thrown three touchdowns in each of the three games, with a total of just two interceptions.

* While he has yet to record a 100-yard receiving game, Terrell Owens had his third straight game of five catches. Owens had five grabs for 38 yards, equaling the 5-for-36 against the Giants and 5-for-33 against. Tampa Bay.

Short Shots

The Cowboys won in Washington for the first time since 2004, when they edged the Redskins in a Monday night game, 21-18 . . . The Cowboys are now 25-26 in all-time games at Washington . . . Terrell Owens passed Emmitt Smith (3,012) for 13th place in the Cowboys' record books for receiving yards. Owens now needs just 44 yards to move past Kelvin Martin . . .

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #207
Underdog

Romo's Pinkie Holds Up, But Still Mending

IRVING, Texas - For the Cowboys, a starting quarterback with nine good fingers is better than a backup with 10.

Tony Romo played with a splint on the little finger of his throwing hand Sunday night, and led the Cowboys offense to its best outing since he injured the digit over a month ago. And while the protective measure held up its end of the bargain in that Romo didn't reinjure his finger, there were times that it caused him to get a poor grip on the ball, which led to poor passes, such as his first interception.

"The splint side of it, I said it before, was just you're going to have some throws (where) you don't get a good grip on the ball," Romo said. "I threw a slant behind T.O. by a good yard or two, and I just couldn't get the grip on the ball. And you try and adjust with your shoulders on the throw and stuff, but I didn't adjust enough obviously. That's going to happen. I'm disappointed that it did, but in the same point, I did some things I was pretty happy with (on Sunday) coming back after that long."

Romo credited his success, 198 yards passing and the game-winning touchdown throw, to practicing at game speed. Coach Wade Phillips praised everything Romo brings to the team, including the intangibles of having a leader back at the quarterback position.

"Quarterbacks, they are difference-makers in the league," Phillips said. "I don't think New England is quite as good as they were last year. Didn't they win 18 in a row or something? I think losing their quarterback made it tougher for them. Any team I think that has a top quarterback that is not playing for them is going to slow you down a little bit. It will be a bit tougher."

After presiding over three poor offensive outings without Romo, Phillips also mentioned the way the game plays out differently because the Cowboys offense is being led by a playmaking quarterback. Overall, the coach said the splint didn't affect Romo too much. He said the fracture still needs time to heal.

"Another week maybe," Phillips said. "He will have the splint on one more week and then after that, since we play two games in ten days it may be after that, but only a couple more games, it should be healed completely."

Word On Pacman Looming

The Cowboys are expecting some notice from the NFL on the status of suspended cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones on Tuesday. Jones was suspended indefinitely on Oct. 14, with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell saying he would revisit the case after four games.

That fourth game was Sunday night. Jones has been in a Boston-area alcohol treatment facility under league administration for most of the last month. He played the first six games of the season for the Cowboys after missing the entire 2007 season because of a suspension.

Last week team owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he would welcome Jones back because of his hard work, and Tuesday Wade Phillips echoed that sentiment. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, it isn't up to Jerry Jones and Phillips.

Goodell could elect to reinstate Adam Jones, or he could decide to continue the suspension as long as he pleases. Either way, the uncertainly means the Cowboys cannot afford to include the cornerback in their plans, at least for the time being.

"Like I said when he was (suspended), when he's gone, he's gone," Phillips said. "I don't really think about it. We're preparing the players I have. That's the guys I'm getting ready. If it comes out that he does come back and he is with us then I'll prepare that."

Phillips said he thinks Jones could add something to the team. He called the former Tennessee Titan a hard-worker in practice and meetings who was never late, listened and tried to do what the team wanted, and someone who played well in some situations.

"Now the off-the-field stuff obviously is what he had a problem with, and it cost him," the coach said.

O-Fence

On Sunday, the Cowboys played perhaps their best defensive game of the season, limiting a team that had already scored 26 points against them this season to just 10. But the low scoring total the Redskins put up wasn't all about the Cowboys defense as much as it was a team effort.

First and foremost, the offense was able to drain the clock for the game's final 6:40, riding Marion Barber as far as he would take them.

"That's the best defense - when the offense is running the ball and running the clock," said linebacker Zach Thomas. "We weren't out on the field a lot. I don't know what the time of possession was, but I felt really fresh. I think we felt good. They did a good job of managing the game on that side of the ball. It helped us more on defense than anything. And (Washington) had to go really a long field most of the game."

The Cowboys did win the time of possession battle, controlling the ball for 2:28 longer than the Redskins. And while Wade Phillips' assertion that his defense would have been better if Tony Romo were healthy all season drew some chuckles last week, it eventually was shown to be true.

Romo's return helped the Cowboys run the ball better, and forced the Redskins to throw more than they might have liked. In their Week 4 win at Texas Stadium, the Redskins ran the ball 37 times and threw it 31. Sunday their run-pass margin was 18-35.

"I think when Tony is in there they say 'Hey, they can move the ball, we better try to score here,'" Phillips said Monday. "I think it affects decisions of the game that sometimes you don't see."

Becoming Partial To The Run

The first time around when the Redskins loaded the box with eight players, the Cowboys had run-pass checks Tony Romo could make at the line of scrimmage, and that got them out of several runs, with Romo ending up throwing the ball 47 times. This time, running backs coach Skip Peete said they went with run-run-pass checks, allowing Romo to check from one run play to another – like those tosses to the outside to Marion Barber. “This time we said, ‘Just run it,’” Peete said.

Here is another thing that helped the Cowboys better run the ball against the Redskins, who wanted to crowd the line of scrimmage with strong safety Chris Horton, who now has given up two touchdowns to Cowboys tight ends in two games: Having Terrell Owens and Roy Williams lined up wide. You don’t want to consistently get into singling both guys so you can load up against the run.

Short Shots

Phillips said he didn't know if running back Felix Jones (hamstring) would return to practice this week . . . Pat Watkins, who was bowled over by Jason Campbell on a quarterback draw, said he took the worst end of the hit because he lowered his head thinking Campbell was about to slide . . . Sunday's win was the Cowboys' first at FedExField since Sept. 27, 2004. In the three losses in between, the Cowboys were outscored 84-32 . . . The Cowboys now have two players in the top 10 in sacks in the NFC, DeMarcus Ware tied for first with 11 and nose tackle Jay Ratliff tied for 10th with six.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #208
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Miles out 2-4.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #209
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Miles out 2-4.
Felix back though...

Quote:
IRVING, Texas - For the first time since Oct. 12 in Arizona, rookie running back Felix Jones was on the field, practicing again Wednesday after a lengthy absence because of a hamstring injury.

The first-round pick from Arkansas suffered a partial tear in his left hamstring during the Cardinals game last month and hasn't played or practiced since.

Jones has rushed for 266 yards on 30 carries during the first six games, with three touchdowns, including a 60-yard run against Green Bay and an 11-yard score against Cleveland on his first NFL carry.

Jones also leads the Cowboys with a 27.1 yard average on 16 kickoff returns, including a 98-yard touchdown against Philadelphia. And Jones could be called into duty again on kickoff returns, considering Miles Austin' recent sprained knee will keep him out for about 2-4 weeks.

Austin had taken over for Jones and averaged 22.2 yards on 16 returns.

Since Jones' absence on offense, the Cowboys have asked Marion Barber to carry the load. Last week in Washington, Barber had 24 carries for 116 yards and a touchdown, along with six catches for 39 yards. Barber closed out the game on the final drive, carrying the ball 10 times and catching another pass as the Cowboys chewed up more than six minutes of the fourth-quarter clock.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-19-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #210
alby
Guru

Good, get Felix up to game speed by playing with these JV teams in the next couple of weeks.

Contact Me
Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #211
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Pacman has been reinstated and is expected to play Dec 7 against the Pitt.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #212
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

(link for what Windmill just said).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #213
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Jerry can require that he wear one of those GPS-locator anklets with a shock collar if he strays outside of authorized locations.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 11-19-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Article answered question
Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #214
Underdog

Default the skinny

Last edited by Underdog; 11-19-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #215
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Felix back though...

Now Garrett just has to remember to actually use him...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #216
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Source - http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...omments_anchor

Quote:
Dallas Cowboys blog: Further evidence that Tony Romo really is a swell fella

03:06 PM CST on Wednesday, November 19, 2008
By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News
tmacmahon@dallasnews.com

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark theater in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. Doc, who planned to spend his day passing out flyers for a few bucks, accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the kid behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out flyers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, "Role Model" had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his buddy. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo, who made news by changing a couple's tire on the side of the road on the way home the night of the season opener, it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."
I just love Romo.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-20-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #217
alby
Guru

Fin, I'm a Romosexual as well.

Contact Me
Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #218
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

That's such a great thing.
He seems like such a nice guy. Good for him not trying to make it into a huge "Look at me" thing.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #219
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
This has to be about the 10th story I've heard about "Romo Hood" - that guy's mom really raised him right!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #220
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I feel like TO when I read stuff like that,

"That's my quarterback." *tears up*

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #221
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #222
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Pacman, Terence Newman help renew Dallas Cowboys’ secondary plan
By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING — For much of the season, the Dallas Cowboys sold themselves and their fans a bill of goods based on the off-season promises of how the addition of then-suspended cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones to the tandem of Pro Bowler Terence Newman and Anthony Henry would result in a more aggressive defensive philosophy.

Instead, soft zone coverages, wide-open receivers and defensive backs nowhere near the ball was the norm.

It wasn’t what defensive coordinator Brian Stewart wanted to see, but injuries to Newman, another suspension for Jones and the over-reliance on inexperienced rookies forced his hand.

Press coverage and man-to-man defense was out. A variety of zone coverages, in hopes of limiting deep passes and mistakes, were in.

With the recent return to health of Newman and the NFL’s reinstatement of Jones, the Cowboys finally could live up to their off-season expectations on defense.

Jones, who has been suspended since Oct. 14 and completed an alcohol rehabilitation program last week, will miss the next two games, against San Francisco on Sunday and Seattle on Thanksgiving Day. He will return to practice Monday and is due to play in the Dec. 7 game at Pittsburgh.

The ability to lock down on a receiver in press coverage is what separates Jones from other cornerbacks. Despite missing the past four games, Jones still leads the Cowboys with 11 pass deflections.

The Cowboys have heard all the questions about why they should continue to take a chance with Jones, considering the potential distraction he might become down the stretch if he lets the team down again. Jones was suspended Oct. 14 after a fight with his bodyguard at the Joule Hotel. It came roughly six weeks after he was reinstated to the league following a 17-month suspension for repeated violations of the personal conduct policy.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it’s up to Pacman Jones to turn his life around and that "he’s got a long way to go before he’s got clear sailing." Jerry Jones also said that Pacman Jones no longer will have the services of the club’s bodyguards.

Jerry Jones said he was impressed by how Pacman Jones handled this recent suspension and acknowledged that the reward of having him on the field was worth the risk.

As for Newman, he played in the 14-10 win against the Washington Redskins on Sunday after missing five games with a sports
hernia and gave a glimpse what the Cowboys can do over the final six games of the season.

He followed game-breaking Redskins receiver Santana Moss
all over the field, recording eight tackles, an interception and a fourth-down pass deflection in the fourth quarter to help secure the victory.

"If you have a matchup you want to get to, he gives you the opportunity to do that," Stewart said. "He gives you the opportunity to play sound football
. You want your best guys on the field doing what they do best. He is one of the best cornerbacks in the league."

Newman, a Pro Bowler last year, didn’t look the part early in the season because he was hindered by a groin injury that forced him to miss the preseason and first regular-season game. He returned for three games, but admittedly didn’t feel right. And though they had Pacman Jones in the lineup at the time, the Cowboys were not comfortable mixing a lot of press coverages with their zone schemes.

"I thought he looked quick because I had never seen him when he was doing this thing," said Dave Campo who was fired as Cowboys’ head coach in 2003, just months before Newman was drafted, only to return this year as a secondary coach.

But Cowboys coach Wade Phillips knew better and kept telling Campo that Newman didn’t look right. After being diagnosed and treated for a sports hernia, Newman returned better than ever.

"Wade said he didn’t have that same burst," Campo said. "And this was when we thought he was close to 100 percent. Now this past weekend, I saw a different guy. He had the burst, the quickness. That’s what separates him from a lot of people."

Schematically, that means that Stewart and Phillips can mix their defensive coverages between zone and man, although there is no doubt they will play press coverage much more than they did earlier in the season.

It should result in more sacks, more incompletions and more pass deflections.

"We can make the ball come out if we are pressing," Stewart said. "Or you cause more incompletions and a chance to sack the quarterback because he will hold the ball more. Then the second time, because guys are pressed and he is rushed, that is when you get the checkdowns or he starts throwing the ball out of bounds."

The Cowboys are already among the league leaders in sacks, led by linebacker DeMarcus Ware’s 11. Press coverage will make the rush even more effective.

"It will help the pass rush because it eliminated the quick throws," linebacker Bobby Carpenter said. "You are going to have more time to get there because the quarterback won’t have the quick game."

Link
Is this just hype or are we finally going to get to see the defense we hoped for during the offseason?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #223
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

haha
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #224
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

hype
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #225
ty
Diamond Member

hype w/ promise

Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 PM   #226
Underdog

The Cowboys defense will be top-12 by the season's end (around the same time everyone starts calling us Super Bowl favorites again...)

This is a historical fact - I've come from the future to share it with you...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-20-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #227
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
The Cowboys defense will be top-12 by the season's end (around the same time everyone starts calling us Super Bowl favorites again...)

This is a historical fact - I've come from the future to share it with you...
It's Future Underdog! Did someone also poison the coffee?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #228
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Felix is on IR and done for the year.

That really, REALY sucks.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #229
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Felix Jones' season is officially over

Rookie RB Felix Jones will be placed on the injured reserve and will have surgery to repair a torn ligament underneath his left big toe.

A date has yet to be set for the operation, which will be performed by Dr. Robert Anderson, a foot and ankle specialist in Charlotte, N.C.

Jones, the No. 22 overall pick in the draft, provided a big-play complement to Marion Barber and showed flashes of brilliance in his six games. He had 266 yards on 30 carries (8.9 yards per carry) and scored four touchdowns, including a kickoff return.

Jones suffered a partially torn hamstring on a 14-yard run in the loss to the Cardinals and hasn't played since. He suffered the toe injury while rehabbing his hamstring during the bye week.

The Cowboys' medical staff, with input from Dr. Anderson, determined that the best option for Jones' long-term future would be to have season-ending surgery on the toe.
Sad.

Last edited by ty; 11-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #230
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

He was hurt in rehab....

Son of A %%$#$%
Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #231
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

damn...that is a huge loss. He was the offense's most explosive weapon.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #232
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Dammit Future UD... why didn't you give us a heads up before??

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #233
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Dammit Future UD... why didn't you give us a heads up before??
I think he somehow caused it by coming back in time.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #234
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

damn....
Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #235
Windmill360
Diamond Member

great. I dont think he will be the same next season. Sophomore slump wise.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #236
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I think he somehow caused it by coming back in time.
Oh, I forgot to mention that Felix Jones' health was the price the Cowboys had to pay for a Super Bowl win this season...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-20-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #237
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh, I forgot to mention that Felix Jones' health was the price the Cowboys had to pay for a Super Bowl win this season...

Future UD, you magnificent bastard!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 11-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #238
Underdog

'Eff it - I'm keeping Felix on my fantasy roster for the rest of the season because I'm THAT stacked!

(I have Gore, Forte and Addai, so no worries...)

Old 11-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #239
FINtastic
Diamond Member

At the very least, I hope the Cowboys remember that they have The People's Choice sitting on their roster. This doesn't give them the excuse to overuse Barber, imo.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #240
Underdog

Quote:
At the very least, I hope the Cowboys remember that they have The People's Choice sitting on their roster. This doesn't give them the excuse to overuse Barber, imo.
You'll probably have to fire Garrett before we see Tashard Choice play- I still don't understand why we didn't use him (and our running game) more when Romo was injured!

Hell, Barber/Choice > Barber/Julius [from last year...]

We can only expect The Barbarian to hold up so long at this bruising pace - at least give us a Choice at running back! (sorry - that was a pretty bad pun, even for me...)

Last edited by Underdog; 11-20-2008 at 05:16 PM.