Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-20-2002, 11:30 AM   #1
promav

promav is on a distinguished road

Got this from Hoopsworld.com
What do you think?

In a related development, the 76ers have reached agreement on a six-year, $18 million dollar contract with Dallas Maverick free-agent Greg Buckner. It appears the 76ers and Mavericks are working out a sign and trade deal for Buckner and baggage and would land the Mavs one of the 76ers young big men (either Samuel Dalembert or Alvin Jones), Damone Brown and possibly restricted free agent Matt Harpring. The Sixers would like to maintain flexibility regarding their median exception and a sign and trade for Buckner would accomplish that goal.
promav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, we don't have much baggage to send with Buckner. So... I see a much smaller deal happening.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Thing is, we don't have much baggage to send with Buckner. So... I see a much smaller deal happening. >>

Wang is about a $2 mil player. Get the Knicks in the mix and we send out Buckner &amp; Wang and get Thomas.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

In the FWST today it says how Mladen Sekularac could find his way onto the final roster afterall. He does have 2 years left on his contract and the Mavs would have to buy it out, etc.

I'm wondering, if it is just us and the Sixers, could we be sending them Buckner and Griffin? That's assuming we are getting Harpring in return. I don't know what else we'd be throwing in unless it's a pick or cash. Surely there not taking Esch or Bradley, maybe Wang??

The reason I mentioned Sekularac above was it would make sense if he were to make the roster if we were losing Buck and Griffin. Only problem with this is when I see the word baggage, I think of players other teams wouldn't want. That's why I don't see Griffin or Wang as garbage. I think of Bradley, Esch or AJ.

A Buckner, Griffin and Avery Johnson doesn't seem like it would land us Harpring, Dalembert or Jones, and Damone Brown.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< I'm wondering, if it is just us and the Sixers, could we be sending them Buckner and Griffin? That's assuming we are getting Harpring in return. I don't know what else we'd be throwing in unless it's a pick or cash. Surely there not taking Esch or Bradley, maybe Wang?? >>

Cannot be Wang at this point. Last word was he was still settling on an agent. Until he does so, there's really not a chance of him being involved in sign-and-trade talks.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:26 PM   #6
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

think it´s esch, maybe even aj
Old 07-20-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

lol... wouldn't it be the irony of the century if Bradley went back to Philly. Ain't gonna happen though. I suppose it could be Esch or AJ.

I just think that it's more likely to be just Buck.. and maybe some non-salaried stuff like a pick or something.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:35 PM   #8
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<<

<< Thing is, we don't have much baggage to send with Buckner. So... I see a much smaller deal happening. >>

Wang is about a $2 mil player. Get the Knicks in the mix and we send out Buckner &amp; Wang and get Thomas.
>>

Except the Mavs WANT Wang and apparently don't want Buck, for whatever reason. Wang will be in a Mavs uniform next year. Buck will be in Philadelphia.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:46 PM   #9
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I hope it's not our first round pick... I mean, I suppose Buck and a 1st isn't a bad deal for Harpring, I would just like to have one some year soon.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:04 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, Hoops. I thought I posted about Wang choosing an agent. Still, it doesn't mean he's involved in whatever the Mavs and Sixers are trying to work out. It's interesting that his advisor believes he'll be signing a contract in the next week to week and a half.

Advisor: Wang hires an agent
07/20/2002

From Staff Reports

Wang Zhizhi signed with an agent on Thursday, advisor Simon Chan said.

Chan would not reveal the name of the person who is now representing the Mavericks' restricted free agent, saying the &quot;less attention he gets, the better.&quot;

Chan said he thinks Wang will sign a deal within a week to a week and a half, but he did not elaborate or say whether he expected Wang to remain in Dallas.

Owner Mark Cuban has said he will match any reasonable offer Wang receives and would like him to return.

Old 07-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #11
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

this was on hoopsworld

Philly seem preoccupied with trying to salvage the Greg Buckner deal. It seems Money Mark Cuban may have made an offer comparable to Philly’s offer and now it’s up to Philly to increase the deal or Buck may head back to Dallas. The Mavs are rumored to be agreeable to a sign and trade with Buckner, if he really wants to play in Philly, but the Mavs would like to get something in return for him.

ya think cube made an offer to up the anty, or really to get buck back

I would be satisfied with landing Dalembert for Buck and not including anyone else
Old 07-20-2002, 05:39 PM   #12
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i think he might be pushing the 76ers to work out a way to land us harpring
Old 07-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

yes! KEEP BUCK
Old 07-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry SJ, the Buck stops in Philly....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:43 PM   #15
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i dont think wang is larry brown's type of player.

he's too skilled offensively, and not good enough defensively to play many minutes in philly's system.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:43 PM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< I would be satisfied with landing Dalembert for Buck and not including anyone else >>

I think they can get more in exchange for Buck than DaLembert, and they definitely have a need at SF. Dalembert is an unproven talent, relative to Buck.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 05:47 PM   #17
Just211
Platinum Member

Dalembert is an agressive 6'11 250 Pf (yeah he is unproven)
they would still throw in more players , i would rather us not throw in anyone else. Unless we are not signing Russell, then they could go for harp. but if we have russell do we need harp?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:55 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< i dont think wang is larry brown's type of player.

he's too skilled offensively, and not good enough defensively to play many minutes in philly's system.
>>

If there was four teams involved, then Wang could go to Golden State, Buckner to Philly, and Thomas to the Mavs. I'm sure the trade could be worked out.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 06:36 PM   #19
David
Golden Member

<<

<< i dont think wang is larry brown's type of player.

>>

If there was four teams involved, then Wang could go to Golden State, Buckner to Philly, and Thomas to the Mavs. I'm sure the trade could be worked out.
>>

The Mavs don't want to trade Wang.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:19 PM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wow, I REALLY liked Dalembert coming out of the draft. He was a monsterous shotblocker/rebounder in college.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 10:27 PM   #21
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd rathere have Harpring than Dalembert.

And as much as I like Buckner, I would rather **not resign him** if we can get Harpring. Harpring gives us some things that we have been lacking: a tough minded, rebounding, small forward who **can** shoot decently from outside and has size.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:17 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Here's a link to Fish's take on all the Mavs gossip.

Text

I find it hard to believe that the Mavs have NO interest in Harpring. I can understand Cuban not wanting to take back a player just to get something for Buck, but Cuban doesn't strike me as a person that'll let a player walk without trying hard to get something in return.

Old 07-20-2002, 11:37 PM   #23
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

How could they NOT want Harpring? He's a taller Buck, a more aggressive rebounder than Griffin, and has no real injury history.

I'm just not sold on TAW ever being worth a shit, and I hope the Mavs aren't banking on him just to keep from hearing people make cracks about his contract.

Griffin and Harpring would be one heck of an SF corps on this team. Seems like a great fit to me.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:39 PM   #24
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Though I liked Buck as a player, I think Harpring will be a slight upgrade in that he will play a little bigger than Buck. Maybe not quite as versatile, but he will play the 3 a little better.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:39 PM   #25
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Yup. We got Griff to be the versatile one. I say DO IT.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:50 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I'm just not sold on TAW ever being worth a shit, and I hope the Mavs aren't banking on him just to keep from hearing people make cracks about his contract.

I've seen TAW play enough to know that he can give the Mavs something defensively at the 2/3 spot. I'm not sure of the extent of his injury and whether or not he'll get back to where he once was, but he's not useless.

I don't think the Mavs are banking on him solely just to keep from hearing cracks about his contract, but I'm sure they understand you can't have a guy sitting at the end of the bench with the kind of money he's making either.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:08 AM   #27
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I don't know... on one hand there was a reason the guy was drafted so high. I'd like to see if he can do what people seemed to think he can do.

On the other hand, if he ends up sucking, I don't think it should matter what he's making. Look at Bradley. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If you can get a better guy, you get the better guy and you play him. That's the risk you take when you take on the contract.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:10 AM   #28
Drbio
Banned

1. Cuban isn't stupid. If he can turn Buck into something he will.

2. TAW, if given a chance, will excite the shit out of a lot of us. Contract be damned. He got it for a reason and that reason is that he can play the defense very well.

3. Harpring would be a decent addition to the Mavs.

4. Sekularac could contribute in a meaningful way to the Mavs this season.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:19 AM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

2. TAW, if given a chance, will excite the shit out of a lot of us. Contract be damned. He got it for a reason and that reason is that he can play the defense very well.

Actually, I don't think he was ever worth his contract. I'm not sure what they were thinking giving him that. He plays defense, gives you some decent rebounding and is pretty good around the basket. I honestly don't remember what his shot is like, though.

But, he was defintely one of those players that were a little overhyped and a team gave him the type of contract as an incentive to lure him to their team.

He'll do well for the Mavs and his play in the summer league (I know, I know) is promising. But, he'll never live up to his contract, I don't know if he would have had he not been injured even.

But, you're right, Doc...he'll surprise some of the Mav fans.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:21 AM   #30
Drbio
Banned

I really think he will do an outstanding job. But you are right. His contract is obscene.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:45 AM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

When TAW was drafted, didn't he come into the league regarded more as an offensive threat? And now he's being touted for his defense? Is that a good sign?
Old 07-21-2002, 11:02 AM   #32
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I don't think so Kiki. At least not from what I've heard. The guy can't beat his grandma in horse -- that's not something you lose from a knee injury.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:23 AM   #33
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well when he was Olivier St. Jean, he would put up a lot of points at San Jose State. I think he was in the top 5 in scoring in college. Wasn't ever a good shooter but was quick and unorthodox. I remember when he played Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. ZHe had like half of their points. He kept them close for 3/4 of the game. Then Kentucky just wore them out.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 11:24 AM   #34
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

True..

..but didn't Buck lead the NCAA in scoring his final year at Clemson? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #35
David
Golden Member

When TAW is healthy, he is a defender in Griffen's class, meaning pretty good. His knee troubles rob him of his movement. In college, TAW was a scorer, not a pure shooter, whatever that means.

Buck lead his TEAM in scoring in college. He was an inside player at 6'4&quot;.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:38 AM   #36
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

&lt;&lt;Jasner reports that the Mavs were seeking a taker for Tariq Abdul-Wahad’s $33 million contract. The Sixers were willing to trade Matt Harpring, but Wahad’s contract would mean more Salary would have to be included from Philadelphia.&gt;&gt;

Interesting snippet from RealGM chronicling Sixers signings/dealings. This may explain why a Buck/Harp deal never finalized.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:42 AM   #37
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

The Morning News reported that Buck was just going to sign with the Sixers and that there was no S &amp; T deal involved. This whole thing has been confusing from the beggining, I won't believe anything until I see it.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:46 AM   #38
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

And Stein said it and not Valade, so it might actually be true.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:48 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

If the Mavs were actually trying to get rid of TAW, they should call the Knicks. they take every rediculous overated poser in the league. Leyden rules.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:09 AM   #40
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I've also heard that by Buck signing straight up with Philly, Philly would be left unable to sign Lewis. I don't think the sixers were ever a real player, but at least that's one less contender with the exception.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote