Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future
Default Girls High School Team wins 100-0, wants to forfeit

Quote:
Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win
Jan. 22, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

Share this page.

DALLAS -- A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.
Advertisement

Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

In a statement Thursday on The Covenant School's website, the head of school said, "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened." He went on to say that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless during the past four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by the Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant website, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised "each member of the Dallas Academy Varsity Girls Basketball team for their strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner." Civello said he appreciated the gesture and has accepted the apology "with no ill feelings."

At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls afterward for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said of the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."
http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/11289867

The other team scored 0. Really? ZERO? Why would you want to forfeit to a team that scored ZERO POINTS? Screw them. Who cares if they ran up the score, the other team should not have a basketball team. Keep the 100 point victory. I mean yeah the full court press in the 4th quarter was a little much..and well chucking up threes in the second half when it was 59-0 at halftime. But they obviously wanted to get to 100 and they accomplished that goal.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 01-23-2009 at 08:39 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless during the past four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.
They don't even have tryouts, just walk up and play. I just can't believe that the other team did that to these girls. How pathetic.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

lol I didnt read that. But I thought athletes usually have learning differences anyway? :P
Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about this at work yesterday, then I saw the report on KXAS yesterday from the losing high school.

No one is coaching those girls. The clips showed them "in action" during what amounted to a shootaround. Trust me. That school owes those girls a lot more than what they're getting every day in practice. Not shooting the ball with two hands, for example. It was that fundamentally bad.

Their basketball coach "does not display a Christ-like approach" to caring about her job. Beyond the idea of winning for teams who have the talent to do so regularly, one of the primary purposes of HS sports is to learn how to work hard to get better at something. But if you've never played basketball in your life, you need a coach who actually bothers to teach you things like proper shooting form.

Also, you have to wonder about who's doing the scheduling - the team hasn't won a game in 4 years. I don't know how TAPPS works.. but clearly this school needs to be in a different classification, or at least have someone think better of scheduling games like this - assuming the game wasn't against the TAPPS equivalent of a district opponent and would've been more or less required.

I was in some pretty awful basketball games in 7th grade, but we always got to double digits. You have to be unspeakably awful at basketball to not score a single point, or to not get fouled once in a 32 minute game and make one free throw.

Last edited by Rhylan; 01-23-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At a shootaround Thursday, several Dallas Academy players said they were frustrated during the game but felt it was a learning opportunity. They also said they are excited about some of the attention they are receiving from the loss, including an invitation from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to see an NBA game from his suite.
Cuban: "Girls, you weren't suffering alone. Here's what your fans felt like during the blowout."

j/k j/k j/k...

(...depending on who we play... )

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I played basketball for a highschool slightly bigger than the one described in the article, and I just can't imagine what administrator decided it would be a good idea to get that school/team into TAPPS competition.

We had our own league of small (very small) private schools in the area that we played in. What a dumb decision by that school.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Cuban invited the Academy team to come to the AAC and meet the Mavs.

Last edited by chumdawg; 01-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see any symbolism here?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #9
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

"Our team didn't quite lose by 100, but we lost by 34 to a bad team which in NBA terms is about the same thing. Oh and we're not trading Josh" -Cubes
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

the way people are glorifying this group for getting their asses kicked is gettin' ridiculous. i'm with rhlyan that their coach is the one that should be getting his ass chewed for not trying to teach them to play a little b-ball.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you sound about as idiotic as the guys over on 103.3 with regards to this situation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

The coach got fired.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

ridiculous.
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

I think this coach kinda got hosed.

I read his letter and I gotta agree with the guy. Teams like his probably only have 7 or 8 players suiting up so it's kind of hard to pull of your starters, and they still had most of the 4th quarter to play when they stopped scoring altogether. Ironic that the losers are being praised because they kept trying, while the winners are condemned because they didn't lay down and stop trying soon enough.

The problem here is plainly that they won "100-0" rather than "87-0" or "96-0", the differences being a matter of nice round numbers, not a question of whether one team completely curb-stomped and humiliated a bunch of spares.

----------------

Once upon a time, yours truly was in a game where the opposing team was kicking our ass and was on the verge of hitting triple didgets with just about a minute. I told their best scorer that if they were going to cross 100 they were going to have to do it from the free throw line because I was gonna knock the s___ out of him if he took another shot. A few seconds later he was on the free throw line and I'd been kicked out of the game.

Funny thing is that this was a church league game.

Last edited by alexamenos; 01-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a couple rational questions:

Why are "slow" kids playing in the same league as "normal" kids?

Why is anyone surprised that a bunch of "normal" kids beat a bunch of "slow" kids 100-0???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

In district play during my freshman year, there was a team in our district that kept another team from advancing the ball past half court in the first half. They could have hung 100 on them, but they at least had enough class to only win by 60-70. We were the only team that year to be within 30, and that was just because I was able to get the ball across half court and then slow the game down to a screeching halt.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know if the coach got hosed. If he just would've shut the hell up about it, he would still have a job.

Its just a high school basketball game either way.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-27-2009 at 11:50 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of "slow" versus "normal," I'd like to hear someone with some expertise on the topic to weigh in on whether or not ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, etc, have any effect on muscle memory from repetition. Because I'm pretty sure almost anybody who's not MR (and probably plenty who are) can be taught not to shoot a basketball two-handed by a coach interested in earning his paycheck.

It's just that the school is for kids with learning difficulties, that doesn't necessarily mean the kids can't be taught to dribble and shoot. My wife used to work at Oak Hill Academy in Dallas, it's K-8 and the same kind of school.. they field sports teams and haven't made the news yet.

Last edited by Rhylan; 01-27-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I blame Title IX.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
On the topic of "slow" versus "normal," I'd like to hear someone with some expertise on the topic to weigh in on whether or not ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, etc, have any effect on muscle memory from repetition. Because I'm pretty sure almost anybody who's not MR (and probably plenty who are) can be taught not to shoot a basketball two-handed by a coach interested in earning his paycheck.

It's just that the school is for kids with learning difficulties, that doesn't necessarily mean the kids can't be taught to dribble and shoot. My wife used to work at Oak Hill Academy in Dallas, it's K-8 and the same kind of school.. they field sports teams and haven't made the news yet.
Right. Learning disability does not necessarily translate to a physical disability that prevents athletic ability. In fact I would imagine it rarely does.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I played basketball for a highschool slightly bigger than the one described in the article, and I just can't imagine what administrator decided it would be a good idea to get that school/team into TAPPS competition.

We had our own league of small (very small) private schools in the area that we played in. What a dumb decision by that school.
Yeah, our school plays in TAPPS too. Actually, both my school last year before I moved in Dallas and my school here in Austin after we moved down here both use TAPPS.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #22
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Right. Learning disability does not necessarily translate to a physical disability that prevents athletic ability. In fact I would imagine it rarely does.
And then a 100-0 score rears it's ugly head and you have to wonder...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #23
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

As for those people who say not scoring is tough, and taht 100-0 is an unbelievable blowout, two things:

1) When the other team can hardly handle the ball, and get stripped a lot, then you aren't going to get many shooting fouls and a lot of fast breaks. The result = non-shooting fouls, thus no free throws, thus no score for the bad team. It also equals a lot of easy layups.

2) Height advantage can mean everything. I'm better the bad school was very small, or at least small compared to their opponent. At that level, even a half foot advantage is a huge advantage. Reboards often result from height, not position. Blocks are easy when you have height, especially at that level. Passes are a lot safer, just through at the hands above everyone else. Post ups are incredibly effective.

Trust me, I know. I've seen a couple games were our girls varsity has just demolished other teams. I believe all the factors lined up: it was a short team (like 5'8" at the MOST), our team has two or three very tall (6'2"ish) girls who can score very effectively, the other team weren't great ball-handlers, our PG's probably had a dozen strips, etc etc.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #24
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

The difference in talent and ability in girls high school basketball between various teams is probably greater than any other sport. Blow outs are not that unusual even between schools of simular size enrollment. Private schools become enrollment magnets for talented players because the coaching and exposure results in scholorships to Div 1 collages for the players.

Height while sometimes a factor is not the only reason. The top rated team in the country last year ( Sacred Heart ) had no players even 6' tall. They beat another undefeated team ( St Marys ) for that distinction by one at the Nor-Cal playoffs and they also had no-one even 6' tall. It's really about coaching and skilled players who can handle the ball. These types of teams would blow out teams that blow out other teams and so forth.

I have seen games this year where the latter of the afore mentioned team had to really try to keep the score under a 100 even with a running clock. There second teams would also blow out those schools. And these were against teams that were fielded by schools of 2000 student enrollments. Both of those teams because of their lack of height used a intense full court pressure defense to compensate. The caliber of play of some of the programs is just way beyond most of the others.

I dont believe the team that scored 100 in the article was even that good. Perhaps low mid level at best. There is such a huge disparity between teams in high school basketball that blow outs at many different levels are not that unusual even if the teams call off the dogs long before the games are over.

I recently saw a halftime score of 69 to 9 score that ended up as 84 to 32. The losing team actually had blown out some other teams previously themselves.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 02-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #25
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice first post.

Welcome to d-m. Wish we had more "newbies" like you.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #26
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
Very nice first post.

Welcome to d-m. Wish we had more "newbies" like you.
Sorry I was so late to respond to you. Other than the Mavs I also am a fan of womens basketball. While being unfortunately in NorCal, so I can't go see the Mavs, it's a blessing that I am able to witness some of the best High school teams in the Nation play each other at Arco in the Norcals and State playoffs. The level of play is unbelievable. I recently viewed the Texas womens basketball thread. I hope you guys get Hill to go along with Reed to help bolster your womens program.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Women play basketball?
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #28
wilmtalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Women play basketball?
I know you are just trying to introject some humor but for a basketball purist the Womens game is a joy to watch. They are more fundamentally sound and play a better team game- less ego involved. The skill level of the girls is getting better every year.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #29
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Hey guess what, guys like Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Ted Turner...heck Mark Cuban, Tom Hicks, Jerry Jones...they all kicked my ARSE on finances...they shut me out 100-0, do you think they should call, apologize, forfiet and for that matter turn over some of their cash to me out of "REMORSE"

This thing is freakin insane!!!

I've lost big time and I've won big time...my kids have gone through similar things...you know what pissed me off the most...being on a losing team and the other side having pity on me and calling off the dawgs.

I've played on soccer teams that got killed 10-0 or worse...I was the goalie and I SUCKED!!! But I'll be darn if I didn't learn from it and actually developed a little bit of game for the next time we played.

I've also been in the same situation and a team is winning 4-0, then they start to play keep away and stop taking shots...we nearly had a few fights break out at that game...

Play the dang game, play to score, play to win...let the chips fall were they may!!!

Once you start a game, you can't QUIT in the middle...do we tell a losing team to QUIT, then why should we tell the winning team to quit?

Now the adults that put this together for the losing team, perhaps they should examine their own judgement ability? But to see people and places going out of their out of guilt that someone else put them in...that is freakin CRAZY!!!

It pisses me off that the winning coach lost his job over this, and to see so much spin that screams of liberalism ideology is driving me nuts!!!

This absolutely sends the WRONG message!!!

If we have gone this far, then you might as well give treats to the Mavs players at the end of every game, have fans on the court and make a tunnel for the players to run under, and then at the end of the season lets make sure they all get some type of trophy...oh and let's not keep score, after all its a game not a competition and EVERYONE is a winner!!!

This makes my head explode!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #30
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

It's one thing to beat up kids, and another to beat up "mentally challenged" kids.

This was about the winning team taunting during the game, and why the hell that coach signed the losing team up in the league in the first place.

Anyway, keep your political garbage out of the sports forum.

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-21-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #31
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
This makes my head explode!!!
Your rhetorical style and your general point of view toward everybody make my head explode.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
I know you are just trying to introject some humor but for a basketball purist the Womens game is a joy to watch. They are more fundamentally sound and play a better team game- less ego involved. The skill level of the girls is getting better every year.
I just don't really find lay-ups and flat-footed jumpers all that skillful.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #33
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
I used to not like women's basketball, but I started watching it when I got to college and I like it a lot now. If you have the right team, it's very enjoyable.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #34
CadBane
Banned

If the team is full of Juwana Man's. ;]
Old 04-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #35
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

stupid
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffsplosion!, got a bit fluffy in here, my head jus sploded