Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ryan Moats / Dallas Police Department

Did you guys hear about this story?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.4a6bab2.html

This is the dashcam of the incident:
http://www.wfaa.com/video/featured-i...45766&noad=yes

and the update that the officer being placed on administrative leave
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Rhyner put it best when he said that Robert Powells new boss is going to be Paul Blart.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Who is Paul Blart?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

At exactly the point where the Nurses and the Plano cop were telling the Dallas cop the situation...at exactly that point...this guy was a complete and utter dick of a human being.

Before that, you might be able to make a case for the guy, I don't know, but once he had people that he could have easily trusted telling him the deal, he should have let the dude go, if not sooner.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

That video is infuriating. Wow.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I first heard about it on ESPN Radio this afternoon and I just sat in my car to finish hearing the story. It made me so furious to hear it. Then seeing the video just made me say wow.

Even going as far as pulling a gun out? That's beyond ridiculous to me.
This really infuriated me and I felt terrible for Moats and his family.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

You have to go out of your way to admire Moats for the restraint he showed. He won himself a lot of fans, I'm sure.

Powell, on the other hand. It's hard to imagine how he can live with himself in the aftermath.

And the whole thing makes you stop and think about the authority we vest in our police officers. That whole scenario was just so...inhumane.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
You have to go out of your way to admire Moats for the restraint he showed. He won himself a lot of fans, I'm sure.

Powell, on the other hand. It's hard to imagine how he can live with himself in the aftermath.

And the whole thing makes you stop and think about the authority we vest in our police officers. That whole scenario was just so...inhumane.
Yeah, Moats was pretty heated at first and just wanted to get it over with and just rolled with it after that.

I can't imagine how I would react in that situation, millions of thoughts would be racing in my head.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

I, too, was thinking about what I might have done. The sad thing is that the humane thing to do would have been to say: "Look, you can come right along with me if you like, but I'm going in there", yet doing so might have resulted in taking a bullet in the back--from someone we pay to protect us.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who is Paul Blart?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

That was gut-wrenching just to read (I first read about it on DMN). I don't know if I could be more angry at someone if they shot me for no reason.

Hopefully, the mother knew then and knows now why they were not at her side as she passed.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #12
BGMaverick9
Guru

Robert Powell...it just sucks to be you, doesn't it?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if this is racism but until there is evidence of that I will give him the benefit of the doubt. However, I think this was just a case of a young cop on a power trip and wanted to show who was "boss."
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gordo said this morning that the guys hasn't admitted any wrong doing and feels the he handled the situation properly.

That a miserable human being.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Just read up on the story and watched the videos.

Just wow.

"to serve and protect" my ass

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

What a vile piece of crap.

"I can screw you over"

"I can make your life very difficult"

He still doesn't shut up after the nurse shows up.

I'd like to give a personal F.U. to Mr. Powell.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-27-2009 at 08:28 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately cops get away with this kind of behavior all the time - this story wouldn't be news-worthy if it hadn't happened to a pro athlete...

Also, "to serve & protect" technically only applies to the State, not the People...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-27-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #18
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.wfaa.com/video/wfaagenera...d=346003&shu=1

Contact Me
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

Police "To Serve and Protect" ...thier own egos maybe

With that said, I know not all poice officers are guilty of behaving so unprofessionaly, however I am hearing more and more stories of this attitude from Police. I view myslef as a pretty good citizen, might bend a rule here and there, but I have encoutered more shady, power hungry cops then professional ones who are truly in the line of duty to help.

Remember when Police were people to be respected and admired, lately it seems they are only associated with fear.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
Police "To Serve and Protect" ...thier own egos maybe

With that said, I know not all poice officers are guilty of behaving so unprofessionaly, however I am hearing more and more stories of this attitude from Police. I view myslef as a pretty good citizen, might bend a rule here and there, but I have encoutered more shady, power hungry cops then professional ones who are truly in the line of duty to help.

Remember when Police were people to be respected and admired, lately it seems they are only associated with fear.
Problem is that the best-of-the-best police officers don't become traffic cops - they're out raiding crack houses instead of trying to bank on ticket commissions...

When money becomes the motivator, corruption can't be too far behind...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

awful, awful story. that cops days of being a cop...are numbered...
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I got stopped by a Plano cop not far from there last month. I wish I'd kept the ticket to see if this was the same guy. The cop that stopped me made me wait 10 or 15 minutes for back up so he could search my car. All because he saw me reach into the glove box to get my insurance after his lights came on. Like Officer Powell he never raised his voice but I definitely got the impression that there was some kind of power trip.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I got stopped by a Plano cop not far from there last month. I wish I'd kept the ticket to see if this was the same guy. The cop that stopped me made me wait 10 or 15 minutes for back up so he could search my car. All because he saw me reach into the glove box to get my insurance after his lights came on. Like Officer Powell he never raised his voice but I definitely got the impression that there was some kind of power trip.
Powell is actually a Dallas officer, not Plano. So you just caught one of the many cops who are power trippers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

In my very limited experience, I find that if I am overly respectful, overly quiet and overly cooperative, an officer will treat me with the bare minimum amount of respect I deserve.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #25
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

My apologies, this is my first response to this story and I intentionally did not read any existing comments. I want my thoughts to be written without being clouded by replying to other feedback...I'll go back and read other takes on this shortly.

First, that Police Officer needs to experience some consequences for his POOR judgement. His handling of the situation is an isolated case and hopefully, we can all keep our outrage at this one individual and not make life for other Police Officers any more difficult than it already is.

Second, the slant that this is racial, quite frankly is offensive!!! Honestly...and this is my emotions running over...but I am sick and tired of these stories, that show an African-American being wronged by a White-American and then immidiately it's Racial!!! Is it possible that this officer is simply a jerk to everyone? To paint this with a Racial stroke is naive on the journalist who used that headline.

That Headline which was used only fuels the spark of Racism feelings. Quite frankly the Headline Writer should have to suffer an equally damaging consequence as the police officer. To me, that headline is equal to yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie house.

Again, the Officer was WRONG in his actions and from my view should be fired on the spot. I don't want someone who has proven to have poor judgement to be serving as a Police Officer. After all, "To Serve and Protect"...I didn't see any intent from the officer to "Serve"

Equally, the Headline Writer who used "White Officer - Black Driver" needs to be fired as well as each and every editor who reviewed the story/headline and approved the use of such a divisive headline.

I finally got to hear the audio this morning on the Ticket and it made my blood boil!!! I was already outraged when I simply read the story and heard the interview that the Player/Driver had on 105.3 the Fan yesterday.

With that said, I hope that people exercise better judgement than the officer, whenever they get pulled over or if they ever encounter this individual in person.

There's a part of me that is concerned for the officers safety now that this has become as public as it has. Hopefully we dont fall into a mob mentality...no doubt, people are angry and if too many angry people get together, no telling how bad things could escalate.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

wow, definite power trip.

i'm not surprised the cop initially reacted like he did - Moats did not pull over, and he did run the red light. And moats was pretty loud and vocal. But as soon as the cop heard that the guy's mother-in-law was dying, he should have cut him some slack. And ESPECIALLY after the security guards and nurse came down.

I also can't believe the police released the cops picture!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Okay now that I've read the other posts...

No doubt there are your fair share of Douche Bags who become Police Officers, but I would say we can find those in ANY profession.

I have also had the experience of getting pulled over by my fair share of Traffic Officers...both local city police and state troopers...honestly, I have never encountered any problems in the times I have been pulled over. (Easily over 20 times in my lifetime...I tend to have a lead foot...although the past couple of years I've slowed down)...

I have always stayed in my car, kept my hands on the steering wheel and used my best yes sir/mam no sir/mam when I address the officer. Within seconds I've been assessed as a safe person due to my demeanor, thus lowering the tension...Now I have had my fair share of lectures during my stops and honestly out of 20 times, I've been warned around 15 times...thus no ticket.

Basically, I don't give them any attitude...but I know that I am in the wrong...

Thus they are courteous back to me.

When I consider how many times they are put in harms way thanks to criminals, or how many times they have to be witnesses to grusome accidents and other types of deaths...I can understand where they can be a bit short and cold in dealing with citizens.

That being said, if I'm the situation of rushing to the hospital and I go all the way to the Emergency Entrance...I would hope that a Police Officer pulling me over for running a red light with my lights flashing would take a moment to assess, Why did I rush to this location?

Come to think of it, every time I've been pulled over...I have been asked, Why I was doing what I was doing (Speeding, running a light, a stop sign..etc...)

In this situation, his poor judgement is overwhelming...You are at the hospital, the folks the officer stopped are somewhat distraut and hysterical trying to rush into a hospital...why not simply go in with the family as soon as they announced that someone was dying? If the Driver is lying, then you have a few more things you can arrest him for...but to do what he did is and was completely WRONG!!!

But back to my point...I would only blame that one officer...I try to always, and I do mean ALWAYS give Law Enforcement Officers the benefit of the doubt. I don't believe that we have a clue what these folks go through on a day to day basis and as such I tend to have a bit more empathy for Officers...

After all, a bad day at the office for the Police often times is a result of some type of Human death that they had to watch. How many of us could face death on a daily basis and keep our sanity?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly any profession has it's share of douchebags, but douchebag accountants aren't carrying guns and can't beat the out of a person with impunity so long as that person is sufficiently anonymous.

My guess is that the po-po have more than their share of petulant, power hungery twits who love bullying other folks around and rather enjoy demanding the right "attitude" (ie, obsequious servility and deference).

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-27-2009 at 02:36 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #29
92bDad
Platinum Member

My concern is with people in general getting all worked up with anger towards Officer Powell...and then being foolish around other officers.

We must be real careful not to pin this on ALL officers...

heck, think through this message board...do negative actions of any individual poster reflect the views of all the posters on this board?

Pinning this on the Police = to being prejudiced for or against any specific race. Let's do our best to NOT go down this path.

I can hope that we can all judge this incident on its own and act accordingly.

I tend to be defensive towards the police, while critical towards individual officers who cross the line. Again, these guys perform a challenging task and they never know how a traffic stop will go...

This incident reflects poorly on this individual officer.

Let me ask, when we see some crime reporting on the news, do we blame whatever association that the criminal has, or do we blame that individual criminal?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

stupid police~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #31
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
My concern is with people in general getting all worked up with anger towards Officer Powell...and then being foolish around other officers.

We must be real careful not to pin this on ALL officers...

heck, think through this message board...do negative actions of any individual poster reflect the views of all the posters on this board?

Pinning this on the Police = to being prejudiced for or against any specific race. Let's do our best to NOT go down this path.

I can hope that we can all judge this incident on its own and act accordingly.

I tend to be defensive towards the police, while critical towards individual officers who cross the line. Again, these guys perform a challenging task and they never know how a traffic stop will go...

This incident reflects poorly on this individual officer.

Let me ask, when we see some crime reporting on the news, do we blame whatever association that the criminal has, or do we blame that individual criminal?
There are police like this in every single city in america. This isn't something new or rare. What about the cops who left a 92 year old grandmother riddled with bullets in Atlanta? What about Sean Bell? This is nothing new. This is actually rather minor compared to the above incidents. The public has been fighting this battle with police officers for years now and its getting worse by the day. It seems as if you feel this is some rare occurrence. Its not. I'm not shocked by it one bit. It doesn't mean I don't sympthasize with Moats however. You have to feel terrible for him and his family.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #32
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Most cops are nice, respectable people.

The problem with this is the effect it has on the group of people out there who are predisposed to dislike the police. I'm not sure why they already dislike them, but they do.

If you follow the law, and take care of your business, there's no reason to ever worry about the police. The police are not out to get anyone.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, this cop is a douchebag...

But, I wanted to thank the officer that pulled me over going 75 in a 65 a year ago almost to the very day. I was driving to see my dying brother for the last time. He asked me why I was driving at that speed.. I told him the truth, and he kindly sent me on my way giving me his condolonces and asking me to be careful.

I'd like to thank the officer that pulled me over on the same stretch of I20 while coming home from my brother's funeral..once again, I was going about 75 in a 65. Few people have ever made a better first impression on me than that officer. He was tremendously respectful and seemed even saddened..

And yeah, I'd like to thank the officer that pulled me over going 75 in a 45 on my way home one night from Dallas..at about 3:30 in the morning. He let me off without a ticket.. asked me where I was going so fast at that time.. told him I was going home to get an hour of sleep before going to work. He shook his head and went back to his car letting me go without as much as a warning. Fortunately, I had gone to high school with the guy. He truly was/is a douchebag, but I liked him quite a bit that night..err, morning.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #34
92bDad
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the chat and examples...

No doubt there are other isolated incidents and individuals who are unworthy of being police officers...but they are indeed the MINORITY of the Police Force!!!

I have a ton of empathy for Ryan Moats and his family...I am outraged at the treatment he received and how that one officer handled the situation.

But I fear that some will use this as another example to hate the Police in general. Contrary to some beliefs, they are not out to get any of us...they simply have a job to do and for any of us to pretend we know how to do a Police Officers job better than them is to live in denial.

I am NOT prejudiced against the police and I hope that this doesn't turn into an excuse for some to feel hate towards the Police.

I hope that we can treat each incident as an individual incident rather than grouping the entire police force into a negative light.

Keep in mind, if people stop breaking the law...we could put the Police out of a job...as long as we have criminals, we will have a need for the police.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #35
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.whnt.com/news/sns-ap-tn--...,5079774.story
Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #36
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

The comments on the first link are pretty interesting... like:

Quote:
I doubt his actions were racist. They just appear to be really short-sighted. He should have been able to tell within a few minutes whether this was an elaborate hoax to get out of a ticket. His first clue should have been parking at the emergency room. He showed as little human reasoning skills as a machine. He's definitely a candidate for being replaced by one of those red light cameras. More automation, less human interaction.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Just goes to show that no matter what - when that cop pulls you over and there's no one else around, you are completely at the mercy of the officer. For better or worse. I for one am always nervous before talking to the cop because you just don't know what kind of person you're going to get. And I don't take crap off of people very well.

I've only had one rude cop ever pull me over though.. most have just been businesslike, a couple were exceptionally nice.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #38
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any doubt that the officer would have handled the situation differently if the driver had been a 40 year old white male, you're delusional. I'm not saying the cop is a racist, but the fact that it was a young black male absolutely affected his judgment, even if only subconsciously.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #39
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
If you have any doubt that the officer would have handled the situation differently if the driver had been a 40 year old white male, you're delusional. I'm not saying the cop is a racist, but the fact that it was a young black male absolutely affected his judgment, even if only subconsciously.
I hear what you're saying LHD and I'm not dismissing it, but I think there is another aspect consider.

I think some of what we see in this sort of treatment is a kind of 'Stanford Prison Experiment' playing out in a much bigger setting. The 'prisoners' in this case being more marginalized elements of society for whatever reason(s)--reasons which may include race but are not necessarily dependent upon racist attitudes of the prison guards.

Last edited by alexamenos; 03-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #40
alby
Guru

I think horse summed everything up pretty well.

Contact Me

Tags
92bdad coke rant, pidgeon whole, play the kryptonite card, the hole pidgeon