Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #81
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

we need silk smoov in here, stat!

is silk moonlighting on another site?

http://www.theonion.com/content/colu...goals_for_2009

Old 03-31-2009, 11:50 AM   #82
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Pardon me...but perhaps this thread and this board is also in response to the many broadcast discussions going on.

They've hit this topic and racism hard on-air and my reaction was and is perhaps more to the vast number of callers who are throwing out the race card.

Perhaps I should give a variety of posters on this board the benefit of the doubt as I am asking others to give the police. For that I apologize to my esteemed non-judgemental posters from this page.

Again, my irritation is predominately with some of the folks who are calling in the various sports talk radio and using the race card.

I don't believe I directed any of my post to any specific individuals on this board, if I did...I give you my fullest appologies.

I should no better...there is not one single racist on this board and that is what makes this such a great place to have an open discussion about race.

Thank you, enjoy lunch!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #83
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
I should no better...there is not one single racist on this board and that is what makes this such a great place to have an open discussion about race.
I beg to differ with you, Whitey McCracker...

(you live in your own little world, don't you?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #84
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Who do you believe is a racist?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #85
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 PM   #86
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who do you believe is a racist?
I believe anyone who uses the term "race card" every time racism occurs is a racist...

I believe you're a racist (even if you clearly don't understand what it means to be a racist - and you'll prove it soon enough...)

Last edited by Underdog; 03-31-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #87
92bDad
Platinum Member

No muss no fuss...glad to see your confused on what a racist is...but hey, that's your problem, no mine.

Because I support Ryan Moats and NOT officer Powell, does that make me a racist?
Because I support the Police force as a whole, does that make me a racist?

Have a great day my friend, open your mind...perhaps you can learn to discuss racial topics without perpetuating the myth that everyone is racist, please stop acting like a victim...the choice is yours, you have all the freedom in the world...
Old 03-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #88
Underdog

Quote:
No muss no fuss...glad to see your confused on what a racist is...but hey, that's your problem, no mine.
I'm not the one who claimed that people would be "racist towards the police" (which not only indicates that you don't know what a racist is, but you don't even know what a RACE is!)

Quote:
Because I support Ryan Moats and NOT officer Powell, does that make me a racist?
Because I support the Police force as a whole, does that make me a racist?
Nobody ever accused you of either, but the fact that you inject race into EVERY discussion on this board makes you a racist (whether we're talking about Moats, Obama or the officiating bias against Dirk - it's ALWAYS a matter of race to you!)

Quote:
Have a great day my friend, open your mind...perhaps you can learn to discuss racial topics without perpetuating the myth that everyone is racist, please stop acting like a victim...the choice is yours, you have all the freedom in the world...
Did I say EVERYONE was a racist? No - I only implied that you and Officer Powell are...

And why are you asking me to "please stop acting like a victim"??? When did I claim to be a victim???

For that matter, when did Ryan Moats claim to be a victim??? (which he was, by the way...)

I don't know who you're addressing when you make these blanket statements, but I don't see them on THIS board...

Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #89
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, the agony.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #90
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

btw since i mentioned i work for navarro county so, theres likely to be a story in the dmn in the next few days about 2 jailers here sexually harrassing a lady that works here. If you read about it and wonder if its true, it is.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #91
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the guy racist? I don't know that we have enough information to say one way or the other. Sure, it could have been race related.. but it could have just been an officer on a power trip.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #92
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Is the guy racist? I don't know that we have enough information to say one way or the other. Sure, it could have been race related.. but it could have just been an officer on a power trip.
We'll never know for sure, but I think common sense tells us that this situation goes down a lot differently if it's a mid-20's or 30-year-old white guy driving that SUV.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #93
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
We'll never know for sure, but I think common sense tells us that this situation goes down a lot differently if it's a mid-20's or 30-year-old white guy driving that SUV.
Please explain how it goes down differently? I personally don't believe this to be the case.

We all agree, officer Powell made a bad decision in how he handled the situatioin...on the front end, I have no problem.

Think about it, you as an officer make a stop...people are jumping out of the car and your first instinct as an officer is to prepare for the worst, be defensive.

Now, within moments you should be able to assess, I am at an emergency room entrance and the passengers are making a life/death call...

If he didn't want to walk in to see what was going on at the hospital, perhaps a call back to dispatch could have had them contact the hospital and someone could have cleared it up...

Then later when the nurse and another police officer come out to vouche for Ryan Moats...that should have been enough to help Officer Powell make a compassionate decision.

It doesn't matter who was in the car and I don't believe the actions would have been different based on the distress (Justifiable) coming from the Moats car when it was first stopped.

The problem that took place and drove many radio comments as well as many other types of forum discussions, is that early when this story was reported...the headline writer or someone else in the media focused on the race of the officer and the driver, thus the way it was reported was initially focused on Race and that takes on a life of its own.

Basically, we, the public, got race bated by one headline...which later went out over the airwaves "White Officer...Black Driver"

That gets people fired up emotionally, without revealing additional details.

Was the headline accurate? - YES
Was the headline misleading? - YES

Think of it this way, what if the headline read? "NFL Player Detained by Police"

That would have also been accurate and misleading.

For many that headline would have conjured up the question, what did this idiot football player do this time? Again, an emotional reaction to a headline that would have nothing to do with the story.

Perhaps something along the following may have minimized the over zealous emotional reactions? "Traffic Stop keeps Moats from Saying Goodbye"

That is accurate and does not insinuate or infer anything other than what happened. The story would still have gotten out, discussions would still have been had...but perhaps some of the emotional spark from Race would have been handled differently.

Basically, on some of the journalist...it was a case of Irresponsible journalism. Which is clearly a huge problem in this country.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #94
Underdog

Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #95
92bDad
Platinum Member

UD on a poster:

Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 AM   #96
Underdog

Last edited by Underdog; 04-01-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: this is fun
Old 04-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #97
92bDad
Platinum Member

Officer Powell has been announced to have resigned from the DPD.

Perhaps now we can all as a society move on from this...the guy made a mistake, which we can all agree. The backlash has been huge...

My initial reaction is sympathetic to both the Moats family and the Powell family...I wish the best to both as they move on with their respective lives.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #98
Underdog

Quote:
Perhaps now we can all as a society move on from this...the guy made a mistake, which we can all agree.
He didn't make a mistake - he used "poor judgment" because he's a piece of sh!t...

Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #99
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Please explain how it goes down differently? I personally don't believe this to be the case.

We all agree, officer Powell made a bad decision in how he handled the situatioin...on the front end, I have no problem.

Think about it, you as an officer make a stop...people are jumping out of the car and your first instinct as an officer is to prepare for the worst, be defensive.

Now, within moments you should be able to assess, I am at an emergency room entrance and the passengers are making a life/death call...
It would have gone down differently because as soon as he "assessed" the situation, he would have let a white driver go see his dying mother-in-law (even if he still wrote him a ticket afterwards).

Now, I'm not saying the guy purposefully or consciously thought to himself, "Because this man is black, I'm going to make his life hell," but you are absolutely, certifiably, 100% wrong if you think the fact that it was a young black guy giving the cop attitude didn't play a part.

To your other points about purportedly "irresponsible" journalism, that has nothing to do with anything I'm saying. I read about this story in a place that didn't mention the race of either person. I just happened to know that Ryan Moats is black because I saw him play in college. Knowing that he was black, my first reaction -- again, without ANYTHING in the story indicating race -- was that, if this was a white cop, race certainly played a part. It's common sense.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 04-01-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #100
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I think he should face charges for improper use of his power. I think until some serious penalties are enforced, we will continue to have these issues. Officer Powell threatened individuals with a weapon and the potantial to use his power to "make this night a lot harder for [Motes]." He should not be exempt from punishment because he had a badge on, he should be held to a higher standard because he had a badge on.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #101
92bDad
Platinum Member

Its OVER let it go...
Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #102
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

bullshit....Motes can never get that moment back. It's attitudes like this that allow things like this to keep happening.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #103
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its OVER let it go...
If you don't want to discuss it anymore, nobody is forcing you. Just stop posting in the thread. Its that simple.

Other than that, you don't really get to dictate everyone else's discussion or feelings on the matter.

Nobody is "WITH" you.

Its just you.

If you have nothing else to say about it, then don't.

But nobody here has to "get over it" or "move on" because you're tired of the discussion.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #104
92bDad
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX425 View Post
bullshit....Motes can never get that moment back. It's attitudes like this that allow things like this to keep happening.
Moats has accepted the apology and has moved on.

Officer Powell has quit his job as a result of his actions.

Honestly, I support the Moats family...if they decided to press charges then best wishes to the Moats and may the law run its course.

Since they have NOT decided to take this route, then perhaps the natural consequences of losing his job is enough.

Prayers go out to both the Moats family and the Powell family as they move on.

May we not go back to the lynchmob mentality of persecuting someone beyond what is warranted.

Besides, who...outside of the Moats family has any reason to cast any stones at Officer Powell?

My prayers for the citizens...may they find it in their hearts to carry on with their lives, while allowing the Moats family the respect to process this on their terms.

Peace and Love!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #105
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad he was forced to resign.

Nobody in this city wants that punk running around abusing his powers.

Good Riddance.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #106
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Besides, who...outside of the Moats family has any reason to cast any stones at Officer Powell?
Anyone who ever may interact with a police officer.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #107
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Unfortunately cops get away with this kind of behavior all the time - this story wouldn't be news-worthy if it hadn't happened to a pro athlete...

Also, "to serve & protect" technically only applies to the State, not the People...

I agree. You can't help but wonder how much of the DISD's public response hasn't been influenced by the public relations issue.

One thing that bothers me about this, that I haven't seen mentioned, is that Powell is doing this in front of his own camera. I think he at least believes he's not acting out of the ordinary. I'm just assuming that he's aware that is own camera is rolling.

Its hard to say how common this type of situation is, but the guy certainly was comfortable carrying out his power trip in front of the camera.

Also, anyone who thinks that the absence of a certain racial expletive means that there is obviously no racially motivated behavior - is a moron.

I know you can't definitely say one way or other, with such limited information - but to dismiss it altogether as if its not a possibility is totally naive.

But hey, I'm reminded everyday that the world is full of stupid people.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 04-01-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #108
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Anyone who ever may interact with a police officer.
I'll also add, "other police officers".

Old 04-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #109
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

It's such a shame that such a small percentage (Powell) of a really respectable, well-meaning group of people can spark this kind of debate all over the place.

We're all reasonable here, but this thing is probably sparking all kinds of "Yeah, man! Fck the police! ha ha!" conversation elsewhere.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 04-01-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #110
92bDad
Platinum Member

My apologies Flaco...but I agree with you.

Nice to see that this board has good people who don't jump to conclusions too quickly (Sarcasm)

Nice to see that we don't have anyone on this board showing their prejudicial bents (Sarcasm)

Nice to know that we have good folks here who are willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (Sarcasm)

It appears that we have a group of folks so eager to draw blood that they fell into the mob mentality and crucified Officer Powell and the Police Department...only to be circumvented by his Resigning from the Police force.

Now that he's quit his job...some folks appear to still want to go after him for more blood...I genuinely feel pitty for those individuals.

Perhaps those individuals can learn a thing or two about Class and Grace from Ryan Moats...those on here and in other discussion outlets that are out for blood are no better than Officer Powell.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #111
mary
Troll Hunter

Blood? Where's the post?

People that can't build effective arguments tend to just make things up.

Nobody here is said they are "out for blood"

You truly are dense.

And how is totally dismissing the possibility of racial motivations NOT jumping to a conclusion?

I think you DO think its okay to jump to conclusions, as long as you're the one doing it, and as long as it happens to be the conclusion that you agree with.

Another nonsensical contradiction from 92bdad.

Last edited by mary; 04-01-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #112
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Flaco,

It's worthy of debate because of the powers the police have.

A small percentage of a trillion is still a lot. We aren't talking about desk jockies. There should be no tolerance for bums and assholes here.

We're talking about people who have the power to fvck with your life and careers in ways 99.9% of the populace can not if they don't respect their own powers and the people they serve.

Every time I see this thread, I think about the BART police who shot an unarmed, cuffed man on the ground in the back and other incidents. You can't let this sh!t get away with an apology and a dismissal. Hopefully, every officer has been put on notice, either formally through their departments or indirectly through the outrage/debates.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #113
92bDad
Platinum Member

Mary,

I never dismissed the 'POSSIBILITY' of a Racial issue...but it appears that several have not been willing to admit to the "POSSIBILTY" that there wasn't a racial issue.

I'm not the one who jumped to a conclussion...I'm open to both possibilities, but would like to see some guarded enthusiasm and wait for proof before casting the stones of hate.

Rabbit, do you hold the same emotions for the criminals breaking the laws?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #114
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Why is it common sense? Are you that ignorant to believe that people in power cannot be pricks when given the opportunity regardless of race?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #115
Murphy3
Guru

The unfortunate part of this situation is that there could negatively impact the manner in which those in contact with law enforcement behave... Obviously, some good will come out of the situation with one young man losing his job when he obviously needed to... and hopefully any officers that had misused their power in the past will think twice before doing so again. But, I hope that it doesn't negatively impact the thousands of officers that go about their business in a professional manner. Unfortunately, I'm sure that it will negatively impact some at least.. that's just how this thing works, isn't it?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #116
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Flaco,

It's worthy of debate because of the powers the police have.

A small percentage of a trillion is still a lot. We aren't talking about desk jockies. There should be no tolerance for bums and assholes here.

We're talking about people who have the power to fvck with your life and careers in ways 99.9% of the populace can not if they don't respect their own powers and the people they serve.

Every time I see this thread, I think about the BART police who shot an unarmed, cuffed man on the ground in the back and other incidents. You can't let this sh!t get away with an apology and a dismissal. Hopefully, every officer has been put on notice, either formally through their departments or indirectly through the outrage/debates.
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, and I didn't say it wasn't worthy of debate.

My own personal view of police officers is: I respect the hell out of them for doing a thankless, extremely important job every day and putting their asses on the line. I think that's the attitude anyone should have towards them until they give them a reason to think otherwise (like this a-hole did after the nurses and the other cop verified the dude's story)

(And they don't have the power to mess with my life, because I give them no reason to talk to me.)
Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #117
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
But hey, I'm reminded everyday that the world is full of stupid people.
You see Silk every day???

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM   #118
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Why is it common sense? Are you that ignorant to believe that people in power cannot be pricks when given the opportunity regardless of race?
I don't at all appreciate the insinuation that I'm "ignorant."

But, to be more civil to you than you've been to me and answer your question, I think there are plenty of situations where people are assholes in a way that has nothing to do with race. I also think this situation clearly wasn't one of them.

Again, if a 30-year-old white dude steps out of that car, the situation probably goes down differently. That's just common sense, as much as it's common sense to say that the Rodney King beatings probably don't go down like that if it's a white guy who steps out of that car.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #119
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Are you doing a bit, LDub?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #120
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Are you doing a bit, LDub?
Not really. Why do you say that?

Tags
92bdad coke rant, pidgeon whole, play the kryptonite card, the hole pidgeon